HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Fastest Recovery or Climb to Cup Contender?

View Poll Results: Fastest Recovery to Cup Contender?
NYI 2 2.08%
Edmonton 29 30.21%
Columbus 2 2.08%
Toronto 1 1.04%
Colorado 26 27.08%
Florida 9 9.38%
Tampa 23 23.96%
Winnipeg 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Colorado has some great young talent in Duchene, Landeskog, Varlomov, O'Reilly, Johnson, Stastny, Elliot and Barrie, but they need some wingers badly.

I'd put Edmonton, Tampa and Florida ahead of them.
They don't need wingers anymore... McGinn and Downie both played exceptionally well for the Avs last year, Downie playing over a PPG before he separated his shoulder, and McGinn scored something like 8 goals in 11 games with Stastny. Both guys should be good Top 6 wigners capable of 50-60 points next year for the Avs. We also just traded for Paranteau who put up 65 points last year, and will be playing alongside Duchene this year so he should be good for another 6.

At this point its not forwards we need, we have 3 Top 6 Centers(Possibly 2 #1Cs), and 4 Top 6 Wingers, with Jones also being a solid 2nd/3rd line winger. And we still have a few promising forward prospects in Mike Sgarbossa who is 2nd among rookies in scoring in the AHL with 27 Pts in 30 games, Joey Hishon whose only question mark and its a big one is concussion issues but he has been skating and practicing again. Both of these guys have Top 6 potential. Then theres still Colin Smith who's tearing up the WHL who's an unkown at this point.

Avs are set on offense and Goaltending, its Defense that could use some work. We do have some very good looking prospects in Barrie, Siemens, and Elliott, but none of them are gurantees(though IMO Barrie is a safe bet for Top 4 at least). The avs are really missing a top pairing Dman right now, if we can get one of them from either free agency or our prospects developing, then we'll be a contending team.

I also really like Florida, as others have said they're already a playoff team with some solid talent in the minor leagues. Huberdeau and Markstrom alone make Florida pretty close to a contender.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
tony d
The franchise

Edmonton or Florida

12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
capitalsrock

Colorado
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg
Florida
NYI
Columbus
Edmonton
Toronto

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
edmonton has to prove that they can actually make the playoffs before you start talking about stanley cups. and no, going from last place to 2nd last place isn't an improvement so i don't want to hear that they are improving.
Give them some time, Pittsburgh finished last in the East in 2006 despite having two 1st overall picks in Fleury and Crosby. Look where they are now. I highly doubt the team will place 14th or lower in the next season.

Colorado looks like the most set. They have the most balanced talent across all positions:

Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, E. Johnson, Varlamov

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Falconator

Under or at the age of 23, these are the numbers.

Oilers - Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakopov & Gagner.
Avalanche - Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Elliott & Barrie.
Panthers - Gudbranson, Huberdeau & Kulikov.
Blue Jackets - Johansen, Anisimov, Murray, Erixon, Moore & Colton Gillies.
Leafs - Gardiner
Jets - Kane, Bogosian & Burmistrov.
Islanders - Tavares, Bailey, Hamonic, Martin & Niederreiter.
Lightning - Stamkos, Hedman, Connolly, Tyrell & Aulie.

Lightning have the best mix of youth and vets, with Colorado, Florida and Winnipeg coming in a close second.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Falconator

Funny, not much mention of the Leafs. They've got nothin other than Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly for blue chip youth. And Kadri could easily be taken off that list! Lupul's contract is up after this year, if there is any hockey. Kessel only has one year left on his contract. They're in bad shape compared to the other teams with multiple top five picks in the past five years!

Old
12-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Bleedred
Cuomo for head coach

Florida out of all these teams already was just in the playoffs, and did a damn fine job taking the Eastern Conference Champions to 7 games in the first round.

Tampa Bay needs to work on not playing most of the game in their own end. Lindback is an upgrade over Roloson no doubt, but I don't expect them to become more competitive just because of the goaltending. Their defensive game is atrocious.

Columbus we'll see what 2013/2014 brings.

Toronto I think their problem has more to do with goaltending than TB's. Gustavsson sucked big time, and I am not impressed by Reimer. The monster is gone now, but I think with Luongo they'll definitely be much better if he goes there.

Islanders have decent goaltending prospects, have Tavares, and Moulson, and even Okposo is no bum. Defense could be much better though. I think the team is more poorly run than anything, and most Isles fans I've talked with tell me the same. Keep trash can Rick out of net, and in his bed where he belongs too.

Winnipeg could be onto something in the future. Not just yet, but soon. Pavelec is a great goalie too, and will be a top 10 goalie if this team can be any good.

Edmonton, and Colorado I think could be close to coming out of nowhere. I'm not sure if Sacco is the right coach. I'm biased as I hated him as a player. Edmonton needs some defense, and I think they can come out from under the ashes.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

EDM/COL closest to actually being legit contenders. Voted EDM, though

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Bleedred
Cuomo for head coach

With Edmonton the first thing they gotta do is get Ronald Reagan to come out on the Rexall ice, and say ''Mr Tambellini! Tear down this wall!'' and get him out of there. I'm not sure what to feel about Dubnyk long term, but the crumbling bulin wall needs to be out.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
when you finish as bad as edmonton did, it's hard not to improve on that. all that matters is wins, and so far edmonton has shown that they will continue to be a lottery team.
they need:
-more forward depth
-forward grit that can actually play hockey (not plugs like stortini, eager, and hordichuk)
-a true #1 center (RNH is #2 center on a contending team)
-a good #1 defensive pairing (their #1 defensive pairing isn't even a good #2 on a contending team)
-defensive depth
-better goaltending
-better management
Well, we drafted him with the idea that he'll be a top line, number one centre when we're pushing for a playoff spot... I'm pretty sure that's the idea when you draft a centre first overall. Just a thought.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, we drafted him with the idea that he'll be a top line, number one centre when we're pushing for a playoff spot... I'm pretty sure that's the idea when you draft a centre first overall. Just a thought.
He'll be a top ten scorer in the league for years to come, not doubt he's a first line center!!!

Old
12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
rdawg1234

Oilers - Have high end forward talent, but I worry about their defense, their lack of Goaltending, their lack of a 2nd line Centre better than Gagne(and tougher), A lack of size throughout the lineup(only really Hall is a PF, Eberle+Yakupov leave the top 6 wings pretty weak/small). I think they had a solid base, but have along way to go and need to start making big trades in order to reach playoff contention in the tough west conference.

Avalanche - IMO a better base than Edmonton, three very strong centres, built through the centre is the way to go. Varlamov has potential, landeskog boosts the wing. They are already in contention for a playoff spot next year IMO.

Panthers - Underwhelmed by their team last year, didnt deserve a playoff spot at all, got in through hitting overtime way too much and having a piss poor division. Prospect wise they look good, but it will take a while for all of those guys to develop.

Blue Jackets - Yes they have prospects, but the actual team is a mess, they are at least 2-3 years from being close to the playoffs IMO.
Leafs - Give them Luongo and they'll be in the playoffs. Fairly rounded group of forwards, defense will do better with an actual defensive system under carlyle.

Jets - I like how they look, they could use a bit more forward talent but they are getting up there in the east for sure.
Islanders - Terrible managment, bottom dwelling team needs something new. That Niederiter guy or whatever scored like 2 points!
Lightning - They have a backup as their starter next year, pretty risky move, I dont know what to expect, but they'll be losing St. Louis very soon, which will bite them a bit. They look mid-level to me right now for the upcoming season, could go either way.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Oilers - Have high end forward talent, but I worry about their defense, their lack of Goaltending, their lack of a 2nd line Centre better than Gagne(and tougher), A lack of size throughout the lineup(only really Hall is a PF, Eberle+Yakupov leave the top 6 wings pretty weak/small). I think they had a solid base, but have along way to go and need to start making big trades in order to reach playoff contention in the tough west conference.

Avalanche - IMO a better base than Edmonton, three very strong centres, built through the centre is the way to go. Varlamov has potential, landeskog boosts the wing. They are already in contention for a playoff spot next year IMO.

Panthers - Underwhelmed by their team last year, didnt deserve a playoff spot at all, got in through hitting overtime way too much and having a piss poor division. Prospect wise they look good, but it will take a while for all of those guys to develop.

Blue Jackets - Yes they have prospects, but the actual team is a mess, they are at least 2-3 years from being close to the playoffs IMO.
Leafs - Give them Luongo and they'll be in the playoffs. Fairly rounded group of forwards, defense will do better with an actual defensive system under carlyle.

Jets - I like how they look, they could use a bit more forward talent but they are getting up there in the east for sure.
Islanders - Terrible managment, bottom dwelling team needs something new. That Niederiter guy or whatever scored like 2 points!
Lightning - They have a backup as their starter next year, pretty risky move, I dont know what to expect, but they'll be losing St. Louis very soon, which will bite them a bit. They look mid-level to me right now for the upcoming season, could go either way.
I like the direction the Avs and Jets are going, and I agaree that building depth at center is the way to go. So many championship teams were and are talented down the middle.