HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Prospects in wjc

Old
12-26-2012, 04:54 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Rattie with a goal!!

He's had a few chances so far, but was able to find some quiet ice in the slot, take the centering pass, showed some nice patience, and put the biscuit in the basket.

Commentators talked about how he has improved his skating significantly since this time last year.

While I was typing this, Canada scores again going up 6-1. Germany is playing their second string goalie.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:04 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Germany gets two goals as the second period winds down, bringing them to 6 - 3 before Canada gets a goal in the final seconds of the period. It is 7 - 3 going into the third.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:45 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Canada up 9 - 3 now, under three minutes left.

I feel bad for the German goalie. Apparently they wanted to save their starter for games they hope to win. The commentators are saying Germany's goal in the tournament is to not get relagated.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:21 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Sweden beat The Czech Republic quite handily, with the Czech's looking out of sync all game. Lundstrom looked good, but didn't seem to be very challenged today.

But the real story is that Slovakia just scored with less than a minute left to tie Russia at 2 - 2, now we head to overtime!! Loving watching great hockey, best game of the day so far.

Last edited by bluemandan: 12-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

And the Russians win with less than 10 seconds left in OT. Although I agree with the commentators that the shoot-out would have favored Russia.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:56 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Sweden beat The Czech Republic quite handily, with the Czech's looking out of sync all game. Lundstrom looked good, but didn't seem to be very challenged today.

But the real story is that Slovakia just scored with less than a minute left to tie Russia at 2 - 2, now we head to overtime!! Loving watching great hockey, best game of the day so far.
Yes, Lundstrom was hardly ever challenged today...as he sat on the bench the entire game. Sweden played Joel Lassinantti in net today. Hopefully Lundstrom gets a start sooner or later though.

That Russia-Slovakia game was intense! I thought the Russians would blow out the Slovaks. I guess not!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:06 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
How did Jaskin look today?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:33 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yes, Lundstrom was hardly ever challenged today...as he sat on the bench the entire game. Sweden played Joel Lassinantti in net today. Hopefully Lundstrom gets a start sooner or later though.

That Russia-Slovakia game was intense! I thought the Russians would blow out the Slovaks. I guess not!

I swear I heard his name mentioned at one point, but I was REALLY tired. Oh well, I guess Lundstrom didn't even let in a goal then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
How did Jaskin look today?
I only really remember one play sticking out to me, and Sweden took a penalty to cancel out what would have been a prime scoring opportunity.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Rattie played well. side note: I hate the Oilers. RHN and Yakapov in the tourney, both are damn good. The better not get another top pick.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Looks like Lindbohm is wearing the C for Finland. This will be his last opportunity to play in the WJCs though.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:43 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Jaskin laid a monster clean hip check on Barkov at center ice and was penalized, possibly 2+10, definitely 2 (I don't speak Finnish). Lindbohm was repeatedly embarrassed by Hertl on a pressure sequence in the Finn zone. Lindbohm recorded a second assist but wasn't really part of the play. Jaskin had one strong shift in the second period, otherwise not much of a factor midway through the game (aside from the awesome check on Barkov).

edit – Jaskin looked more dangerous in the 2d than the 1st, but when he drew a penalty with 1:34 left in the period he appeared to be limping off hurt (cross checked from behind to the ice by Ristolainen), and didn't come out for any power play time ... but now back for start of 3d.

Jaskin got the ENG with a few seconds left to seal the 3-1 upset. He was stronger as the game went on and was named Czech player of the game (I thought it was Hertl, but Jaskin definitely deserved to be on the scoresheet the way he played). Lindbohm named player of the game for Finland. He was totally worked by Hertl on that sequence but was an impressively good skater for a guy his size and he was all over the ice – also got better as game went on. Had a couple scoring chances.

Last edited by PocketNines: 12-28-2012 at 03:42 AM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:56 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Jaskin laid a monster clean hip check on Barkov at center ice and was penalized, possibly 2+10, definitely 2 (I don't speak Finnish). Lindbohm was repeatedly embarrassed by Hertl on a pressure sequence in the Finn zone. Lindbohm recorded a second assist but wasn't really part of the play. Jaskin had one strong shift in the second period, otherwise not much of a factor midway through the game (aside from the awesome check on Barkov).

edit – Jaskin looked more dangerous in the 2d than the 1st, but when he drew a penalty with 1:34 left in the period he appeared to be limping off hurt (cross checked from behind to the ice by Ristolainen), and didn't come out for any power play time ... but now back for start of 3d.

Jaskin got the ENG with a few seconds left to seal the 3-1 upset. He was stronger as the game went on and was named Czech player of the game (I thought it was Hertl, but Jaskin definitely deserved to be on the scoresheet the way he played). Lindbohm named player of the game for Finland. He was totally worked by Hertl on that sequence but was an impressively good skater for a guy his size and he was all over the ice – also got better as game went on. Had a couple scoring chances.
Thanks, I missed the first two periods, but he looked really good from what I saw in the third. Was kinda scary when he blocked that shot and limped off, but still came back and finished strong. Nice upset win for the Czechs.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:01 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

Very encouraging with Lindbohm. Possible future 4-6 defensive defenseman / partner for Schmaltz/Pietrangelo? Nice to see future Blues showing up for big games.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
STL fan in IA

Sounds like Jaskin and Lindbohm had good showings. Lundstrom also came in for the shootout for the Swedes and stopped all 3 Swiss shots to get his team the win. I found this passage pretty interesting:

http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch.../news/swe-sui/

Quote:
Although Joel Lassinantti played the full 65 minutes of regulation and overtime, coach Roger Ronnberg went with Niklas Lundstrom for the penalty shots.

"I told the coach I wanted to go in," Lundstrom admitted after. "I like shootouts, and I think I'm good at them." He stopped all three Swiss shots.
Lundstrom must be really good at shootouts or Lassinantti really bad at them as that's a pretty odd move to put a cold goalie in just for the shootout. Congrats to Lundstrom on performing well though! Hopefully he actually gets a start soon but Lassinantti is playing quite well from what I'm hearing.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
h22prelude93

Old
12-29-2012, 11:54 AM
h22prelude93

Lundström played all 60 minutes for Sweden against Latvia today. Sweden won 5-1 and Lundström stopped 20 of 21 shots giving him a .952 sv %.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
h22prelude93

Jaskin GWG @ 2:48

Old
12-30-2012, 02:07 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Corey Pronman (who is very knowledgeable) of Hockey Prospectus offers his take on Jaskin:

Quote:
Dmitrij Jaskin (STL) was very good again. I have heard scouts the last year refer to Jaskin’s upside as a third line winger, but it’s hard to see that. He’s a large man who has been exhibiting above-average hands and offensive sense to go along with improved skating. Jaskin also has a plus power game.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Alklha

To be fair to those scouts, last year that did look like Jaškin's upside. From the very limited coverage I have seen of him this season, he has made big strides, even taking into account the change in opposition.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
To be fair to those scouts, last year that did look like Jaškin's upside. From the very limited coverage I have seen of him this season, he has made big strides, even taking into account the change in opposition.
I wonder how many "scouts" actually saw him play last year. No doubt last season was a wasted one for him getting **** time in an inferior, vet heavy league, but it spoke little to what his potential and ability were/are. He looked good in the WJCs last season as well when he was actually playing and against comparable talent.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
I wonder how many "scouts" actually saw him play last year. No doubt last season was a wasted one for him getting **** time in an inferior, vet heavy league, but it spoke little to what his potential and ability were/are. He looked good in the WJCs last season as well when he was actually playing and against comparable talent.
He's playing against juniors now (players his own age and many younger than he). Last season he was a bottom liner and bench warmer, playing in a league with mostly players older than he was. He has also added strength, weight bulk and has had one more year of physical maturity and learning the game. Plus, he had a year of experience in a pro league, with tough, veteran players, learning discipline. It's not difficult to understand why he seems a better player this season.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Rexor

Jaškin was terrific today, 3 primary assists in a 4-3 victory over Switzerland.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:59 AM
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
Jaškin was terrific today, 3 primary assists in a 4-3 victory over Switzerland.
Best player today, easilly.

joey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:22 AM
BlueSinceBirth

I loved how the Swiss backed off of Jaskin on the GWG. It is almost impossible to strip the puck from him.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
CZechSenator
#15 Jan Marek R.I.P.

Two great plays by Jaškin for those who have not seen the match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHl_Q6tS3F4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ECV1o6QTU

CZechSenator is offline   Reply With Quote