2012-2013 World Junior Championships

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
No kidding, how often does it happen that one team owns the rights to the two best teams captains?
As good of talents that both of them are, I don't particularily think that either make great captains.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
LowEnd88

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'm not going to lie, every time I read Jones on this board I think you're talking about Randy Jones. Guys, I don't think he's going to go first overall. He's too old and I don't think he's even playing in this tournament.

Braden, if you're reading this, I know you're reading this.
Ha! Calling me out! I know I couldn't just keep lurking here forever

Old
12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Actually, garret, my point was it took me all of ten minutes to find 26 players who played three or more years at a post-secondary institution. And yes, I know not all of them finished but many did. The point is a lot of players will follow through on their eduction and my guess is Trouba will.

By down-playing many members of that list you are not doing them any justice at all. Just because someone was a late rounder doesn't make them a top prospect. I can remember just after the likes of Zetterberg and Lundqist got drafted (and both late) and were on the radar for high end talent within the year. What you are arguing is the learning arch for each player compared to Trouba's projection. What I am arguing is that there are many players do opt to stay in post-secondary to secure an end-game after hockey.
As garret9 said, my entire point was that it is almost unheard of amongst top prospects. I know there are a ton of players in the NHL today who spent 3+ years in college, almost all of them were not good enough to play at a higher level until their senior year or after graduating. There is nothing wrong with late bloomers who probably work a lot harder than more gifted players to battle their way into the NHL, but they are not who I'm talking about and they are apples and oranges versus to guys like Trouba, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Toews, Turris, Van Reimsdyk, Kessel, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by Le Golie: 12-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 12:16 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Got to disagree with you ps241 and Flying High. And one day I may eat my words but I'm fine with that, but I see him finishing his post-secondary. As for turning down 550k to go to school? That's a no brainer in my part. He'll 39 years old and retired from his career. You have to think of the end game and where you'll be sitting at 65. Education will broaden his options. As much as I want to see him on our blue line, I think he's staying put. As for his interview, I have also seen others where he said he consulted with his family and the best options was schooling.
School will always be there. He can take summer courses. Even if he turns out to be a complete bust, playing a single NHL year will assure he has enough money to continue his education, assuming he is reasonably smart with his money. School will not keep him from the Jets when he's ready.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Huffer

Late for me to comment on the Canada / Russia game, but that was a nice game to watch.

I think Trouba is looking like a beauty. Very nice skating, physical (duh), but very underrated (IMO) offensive instincts. And I'm not just talking about the fact that he has 3 goals. You can see that he reads the offensive zone pretty well and is making smart pinches to drop down low for a shot. He's not cut in the mold of Scott Neidermayer, but I also wonder if some people on HF thought of him as a Hal Gill when he was always being mentioned as someone with little offensive ability?

Loved seeing Trouba and Scheifele mix it up a little. I don't think "competitive fire" is going to be something that those two need to be taught.

As far as Scheifele goes, I thought he had a decent to good game as well. You can't be scoring 2-3 points every game, but even when Scheifele doesn't get a lot of points I still think he does a lot of things that help the team win (faceoffs, hitting, defense, etc).

As for other players (so Paradise doesn't leave ), I really haven't seen a lot from Hamilton so far, and it's interesting that the "Jets should have taken Hamilton" crowd has been silent this entire tourny? I guess waiting for Hamilton to have a big game (although he was better in the US game IMO). Reilly looks ok so far with what he's been given, and Ouellet has been pretty solid I think. I've liked Harrington's game though.

Up front I've probably been underwhelmed the most by Huberdeau. Not that he hasn't played ok, but just consistently good to great. Strome has played hard, as has Drouin, who sure doesn't look too out of place. Mackinnion looked pretty good as well, it would be nice if he could keep getting minutes once Lipon and Jenner come back.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
School will always be there. He can take summer courses. Even if he turns out to be a complete bust, playing a single NHL year will assure he has enough money to continue his education, assuming he is reasonably smart with his money. School will not keep him from the Jets when he's ready.
In a previous life, this was my specialty:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-004-.../10501-eng.htm

This states that, in summary, a young person is less likely to re-attend any post-secondary after they have opted not to immediately after high school. This conclusion, incidentally, also applies to those whom have dropped out during the early years of post secondary education.

http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/LessonsIn...g-time-off.pdf

Another study which highlights troubles in re-attending. Yes Trouba will make substantially more, but it does not exclude him from what is the norm. The conclusion is that school will not always be there. It will physically, but as we grow older priorities change and attitudes change. I am a high school grad with the fortunate luck of having a great job. I gave the uni an angle and only lasted a year and never went back. I am part of a huge majority here.

My guess, because Trouba stated consult with is family (with my very direct experience, those who do that, last) is that the end game is being considered. You simply write post secondary eduction off like its a book that you haven't read in ages and you can just pick it up and move on. It doesn't work like that. And I can tell you that from a professional stand point. I have consulted with too many kids and families to believe that he is staying for only a year.

Last edited by Duir: 12-31-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old
12-31-2012, 04:40 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Just turned on my TV because I couldn't sleep, apparently Trouba scored... didn't even know this game was on.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:56 AM
scelaton

Quote:
In a previous life, this was my specialty:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-004-.../10501-eng.htm

This states that, in summary, a young person is less likely to re-attend any post-secondary after they have opted not to immediately after high school. This conclusion, incidentally, also applies to those whom have dropped out during the early years of post secondary education.

http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/LessonsIn...g-time-off.pdf

Another study which highlights troubles in re-attending. Yes Trouba will make substantially more, but it does not exclude him from what is the norm. The conclusion is that school will not always be there. It will physically, but as we grow older priorities change and attitudes change. I am a high school grad with the fortunate luck of having a great job. I gave the uni an angle and only lasted a year and never went back. I am part of a huge majority here.

My guess, because Trouba stated consult with is family (with my very direct experience, those who do that, last) is that the end game is being considered. You simply write post secondary eduction off like its a book that you haven't read in ages and you can just pick it up and move on. It doesn't work like that. And I can tell you that from a professional stand point. I have consulted with too many kids and families to believe that he is staying for only a year.
Appreciate your opinion, Bunk, but I would guess you have limited experience in dealing with young people of Trouba's talent level.
Your links seem to reference a gap year between high school and Univ, which is somewhat different than what we are talking about. But that is not the main point here, this is...
Stats which are helpful to use in guiding 'normal' kids do not apply to Trouba because he has one in a million hockey talent. That talent must be prioritized, as it is fleeting, especially in a big, hard-hitting body. Your observation that school will not always be an option is true, but that applies even more so to an NHL career. Having a Univ career to fall back on is a wise plan for those who are unlikely to succeed in the NHL (i.e. most college players), but a whole different set of rules applies to upper echelon talent.
If Trouba really wants a professional career, he'll need more than an undergrad degree. so he'll have to go back to school in any case. If he just wants to be educated, he'll probably have to put in a lot more hours than his current Univ schedule allows, unless he is exceptionally smart. University is just like hockey in that way--if you want to be really good at it, you have to put in the practice time. Just ask Garret

Old
12-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Crap, overslept. How's our main man looking?

Old
12-31-2012, 05:37 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Still USA's best player not wearing goalie pads. But Gaudreau is having something to say about it for the first time all tournament.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:39 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:

crap... so did I

Old
12-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Still USA's best player not wearing goalie pads. But Gaudreau is having something to say about it for the first time all tournament.
Glad to hear it! He's been really impressive, hope he keeps it up. Not really too excited about the possibility about him playing Sweden in the Quarter Finals. I will be extatic if he helps eliminating the Finns though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
crap... so did I
It's impressive, considering the games are played at a normal time for once!

Ugh, really could have done without getting sick so close to New Year's. That, together with being sleep deprived... Tonight's gonna be interesting!

Old
12-31-2012, 06:06 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
It's impressive, considering the games are played at a normal time for once!
!

my thoughts exactly. I missed the first period of USA vs. Canada too because of oversleeping it . But at 2 am at night I am able to catch up a whole game. I'm weird

Old
12-31-2012, 06:10 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Interesting line combinations for Canada today:

LWCRW
DrouinRNHScheifele
HuberdeauStromeRattie
DanaultJennerRitchie
CamaraMcNeillMacKinnon
Lipon  

Spott mixed up the top two - said he wants to try to spark some more 5v5 scoring. That first line has gained some speed, which might work well with RNH and Scheifele, and the 2nd line also looks dangerous.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:29 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Man, the number of penalties called in the US - SLVK game was crazy. Felt like a penalty every shift.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Interesting line combinations for Canada today:

LWCRW
DrouinRNHScheifele
HuberdeauStromeRattie
DanaultJennerRitchie
CamaraMcNeillMacKinnon
Lipon  

Spott mixed up the top two - said he wants to try to spark some more 5v5 scoring. That first line has gained some speed, which might work well with RNH and Scheifele, and the 2nd line also looks dangerous.
After seeing Drouin break out in the last game, I'm glad to see him on the top line. I was actually hoping he would be paired with Scheifele to see what they can do.

As for the USA game, Trouba again started out slow with a few bad decisions, but picked it up after he "scored" his goal (in reality, he stole it from someone as the puck was already going past the red line, but Trouba batted the puck in a fraction of a second before it crossed the goal line). Seems that he only gets going when he gets involved in a play (hit/goal) but is otherwise usually solid.

Can't wait to see the Canada/Russia game, but I am going to have to PVR it .

Old
12-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Man, the number of penalties called in the US - SLVK game was crazy. Felt like a penalty every shift.
I think there was a penalty every shift in the third, 1/2 way thru to the end. Just let them play, it's over, and neither team is really trying all that hard. Dano must have taken 4 or 5 penalties. Completely frustrated.

Good to see Drouin on top line. Though i suggested earlier, i'm not taking any credit for the move - unless Drouin and/or Huberdeau put up big points in their new slots.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Hahah! Duthie's funny sometimes - he was holding up a "Hey PVR People - hit play, important things being said" sign. Of course, I was fast forwarding at the time. Too funny.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:05 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Hopefully the line up shuffle creates a more balanced offensive output.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Zhamnov10

Just a quick note just saw Scheifele walking out noticeably limping,I wouldn't doubt if he hurt his knee or got a Charlie horse on that one hit against Slovakia.may explain his lack of jump against the USA.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:14 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Subban looks solid today.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:24 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Love that someone is hanging a Jets flag

Old
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Trouba played so well in the US game.

What a great pick!!!! Would have been a #4 or #5 overall pick if they did the draft over today.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:30 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Wooooooooo
Great shot!
Big to get up early, hopefully we pot one more on this power play.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Hamilton!! Great shot.

Closed Thread