HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate socks

Old
12-28-2012, 09:28 AM
OpenIceHit42

vCash: 500
Skate socks

What's the best socks to keep feet warm (for the most part) during games? I've been using a few pairs of athletic socks I picked up from Target for when I play but recently my feet have been abnormally cold. Last night I could not feel 3 of my 5 toes after playing. I know first thought is to wonder about my Supreme's cutting off circulation in my feet but I don't think that's it, I've had these Supreme's since last April and hadn't really noticed the problem until recently.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Stickchecked

Skate harder.

Seriously, though, I wear Thinnies and never have this problem, even in brutally cold rinks. Is it possible in a counter intuitive way that the athletic socks are actually making your feet colder, trapping moisture or creating space for air flow?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Skate harder.

Seriously, though, I wear Thinnies and never have this problem, even in brutally cold rinks. Is it possible in a counter intuitive way that the athletic socks are actually making your feet colder, trapping moisture or creating space for air flow?
It's quite possible. I've never even thought of that scenario. I've always used regular socks or cheaper athletic socks but with the way that my feet have been recently I am seriously thinking about picking up a couple of decent pairs from the LHS. Just wondering if anyone had any advice.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Stickchecked

Try it out with an old pair of thin dress socks. If you like it, I would highly recommend getting some legit thin socks. I've only used Thinnies but I love them.

Beware of possible blisters caused by a change in the sock type/skate fit. Although from what I've read, thin socks generally help prevent blisters.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
thedonger

by nature, most skate socks are designed to wick moisture away from the foot. therefore, they'll make the foot "cooler" if anything.

maybe try one of the thicker model skate socks like tuff-n-lite or something that's merino wool based. i believe swiftwick makes a merino wool skate sock, or you can look at one of the thinner merino wool hiking socks made by wigwam.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
by nature, most skate socks are designed to wick moisture away from the foot. therefore, they'll make the foot "cooler" if anything.

maybe try one of the thicker model skate socks like tuff-n-lite or something that's merino wool based. i believe swiftwick makes a merino wool skate sock, or you can look at one of the thinner merino wool hiking socks made by wigwam.
Thanks for the input. I might give a thin sock on one foot a try and a thicker Sunday night when I play again to see if I notice any difference. My foot isn't "cooler" right now, it's FROZEN..LOL

Old
12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
AIREAYE

Frozen might mean cut off circulation, double check that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:23 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This is what im thinking. Unless its like -50C the feet shouldnt be getting that cold with exercise.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:53 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Try hiking socks. They keep your feet warm, wick away moisture to prevent blisters, and a lil extra thickness to keep your feet snug, cozy, comfy.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 2413
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
No socks for years...

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:07 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Gonna try and loosen my laces near the toes a bit tomorrow when I play and give that a shot. Other than that I really don't know.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:43 AM
Rocko604

I bought some Under Armour skate socks, seemed alright, though I thought my snowboard socks did a better job. Wondering if the T-Max Heat Socks from Mark's that I hear so much about on the Jay and Dan Podcast would be any good? Look pretty thick though...

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Devil Dancer

My feet never get cold, and I just wear generic cotton socks, medium thickness. I hear people complain about cold feet once in a while, and I just don't get it. It never happens to me.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:17 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
What's the best socks to keep feet warm (for the most part) during games? I've been using a few pairs of athletic socks I picked up from Target for when I play but recently my feet have been abnormally cold. Last night I could not feel 3 of my 5 toes after playing. I know first thought is to wonder about my Supreme's cutting off circulation in my feet but I don't think that's it, I've had these Supreme's since last April and hadn't really noticed the problem until recently.
Athletic socks are exactly what you should NOT be wearing, as they include cotton and will therefore trap and absorb moisture. I have worn Wigwam thermax liners since day one, and have never had an issue.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I wear football (soccer) socks because they go right up my to my knees and so they're comfy for me... My feet get a bit chilly, but I find skating hard usually fixes that haha

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
OpenIceHit42

Picked up a pair of Bauer skate socks from my LHS this morning. Hoping they do the trick, I'm also going to loosen the laces a bit towards front of my skate tonight.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wear Champion low-cut athletic socks from Target, super thin with moisture wicking. Before that I wore black thin dress socks.

Definitely check the laces aren't too tight. If you're taking a shift every 3-4 minutes you shouldn't have cold feet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Stickchecked

I played hockey last night in a poorly heated rink where it was zero degrees F outside and all I wear is Thinnies for socks. I also only had a short sleeve undershirt on. I am generally easy to chill but I noticed zero coldness in my toes/feet.

I think the OP is losing circulation.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:16 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Definitely check the laces aren't too tight. If you're taking a shift every 3-4 minutes you shouldn't have cold feet.
I loosened up the laces towards the front of my skates last night, not as bad as before. I might switch the some non waxed laces and give that a try as well

Old
12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
muckbin15
parros16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
diabetes man, get it checked out

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
bwhinnen

I use swiftwick socks and have not had an issue, even spending 4 - 5 hours on the ice (general skating session and then a game). But mind you my laces are not what I call tight over the toes or even across the top of my foot, so it may simply be the lacing that is contributing to the issue.

Did this start when you swapped to waxed laces? If so it may be that the waxed laces are keeping the laces tight over the front of your feet where the traditional laces would slack off slightly as you skated. Just a thought.

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhinnen View Post
I use swiftwick socks and have not had an issue, even spending 4 - 5 hours on the ice (general skating session and then a game). But mind you my laces are not what I call tight over the toes or even across the top of my foot, so it may simply be the lacing that is contributing to the issue.

Did this start when you swapped to waxed laces? If so it may be that the waxed laces are keeping the laces tight over the front of your feet where the traditional laces would slack off slightly as you skated. Just a thought.
I loosened the laces above the toes even more last night and felt better. Gonna roll with this tactic for awhile and if it changes I will switch from waxed laces to regular.