HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
HLM, you're correct. The rink in BC is 200x87, smaller than the ice used in International play.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

It may be against Slovakia, but a much better game by Gaudreau. Two goals and an assist midway through the second.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

I want Scheifele on the Flames.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Hope Wotherspoon is alright, he got hit from behind.

Anyways, Canada's up 2-1 after the 1st period! No lead is safe, though.

Go Canada!

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
26 is back to kill a penalty!

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

I also want Drouin

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

3-1 Canada!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
I also want Drouin
This would be great. And maybe possible.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
This would be great. And maybe possible.
Yeah, this kid is amazing.

Canada beats Russia 4-1. They will either play the USA or Ckech Republic in the semi-final.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Small Brain Presence

vCash: 500
I really don't understand the people earlier in the thread saying that Gaudreau was playing terribly. He has been saddled with the horrendously bad J.T. Miller and puck hog Grimaldi as linemates, yet he still could have easily had 2 goals and 4 assists in the first three games with a little puck luck and teammates who could finish on his passes from behind the net.

He reminds me of a smaller Craig Janney; not a great skater but with a subtle offensive game and a great playmaker. Janney was always criticized for his softness, but he put up almost a PPG in his career and was pretty good in the playoffs.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
I want Scheifele on the Flames.
I wanted Scheifele so bad and I was choked and shocked when the Jets selected him so early. The next guy I wanted was Sven. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't change a thing.

But yeah, he's a hell of a good player.

I really think Drouin has elevated his status a lot already in this tournament. I think MacKinnon isn't seeing a lot of minutes, but he really hasn't shown much in his opportunities. You would expect more from the general consensus #1 pick. MacKinnon hasn't been bad, and isn't an overly flashy player to start with, but he's looked quite average. I get that he's 17, but I thought he would be a little more physically dominant in this tournament. I still think he's an elite prospect, but I'm not so sure I'd take him at #1 if that pick fell on the Flames lap. If Drouin keeps this momentum going he could easily go in the top 5 to.

I've also quite liked Rattie's game.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I wanted Scheifele so bad and I was choked and shocked when the Jets selected him so early. The next guy I wanted was Sven. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't change a thing.

But yeah, he's a hell of a good player.

I really think Drouin has elevated his status a lot already in this tournament. I think MacKinnon isn't seeing a lot of minutes, but he really hasn't shown much in his opportunities. You would expect more from the general consensus #1 pick. MacKinnon hasn't been bad, and isn't an overly flashy player to start with, but he's looked quite average. I get that he's 17, but I thought he would be a little more physically dominant in this tournament. I still think he's an elite prospect, but I'm not so sure I'd take him at #1 if that pick fell on the Flames lap. If Drouin keeps this momentum going he could easily go in the top 5 to.

I've also quite liked Rattie's game.
I'm pretty sure he's already widely considered a top 5 pick (some say top 3). After Mac, Jones, and Barkov I think he's the best prospect at the draft (thus far) I've been so impressed with his play.

I was also shocked when the Jets took Scheifele. They have made some solid picks the last two drafts Trouba is a beast!

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If I had the #1 pick, I'd have a really hard time calling anyone else's name besides Monahan, I love that kid. Barkov is intriguing to simply because of everything that he possesses. And after watching Lindholm more, I do think he could be a special player. I really don't get the hype about Jones. He's going to be a fine NHL dman no question, but there is no way I'd select him at 1. I personally have him around 5-7.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Disagree about Jones. You can clearly see the raw talents along with his great size and skating ability. Being only 18 makes him very intriguing. Defensemen like him dont come around often and it would be a mistake not to take him with the top 2 picks

I know it comes down to team needs but he will be a very special player

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Disagree about Jones. You can clearly see the raw talents along with his great size and skating ability. Being only 18 makes him very intriguing. Defensemen like him dont come around often and it would be a mistake not to take him with the top 2 picks

This WJC is the first I've actually seen Jones play and I have to agree with you. Big mobile guy with some obvious offensive talents. As much as the Flames need that top centerman, I wouldn't consider Jones a bad pick at all for us if we landed a top 3 pick. He and Wotherspoon (who's been very steady in this tournament also) seem to make a dynamite D-pair already in the WHL...

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:

Raw talents, yes. But his decision making, from what I've seen in the tournament, looks pretty rough. If it's indicative of his actual hockey sense (which I have no idea of one way or the other) then my bet is he ends up like something along the lines of Phaneuf as a ceiling. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but when you have options like Barkov kicking around in the same group, it's not necessarily ideal.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:34 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Did anyone actually watch Granlund? Statistically, he has been one of the Finn's best players so far but he gets absolutely no love from their fanbase. They are all about TT and Barkov in regards to projecting as top players in the NHL. Ma. Granlund is not the caliber of prospect that his brother is, but I don't think he gets as much praise as he should.
Well, he hasn't really done much this season to earn those praises but he's been good in this tournament. A bit snake-bitten in the first two games, excellent against SUI and OK against SWE. To my eyes, which may or may not be affected by Flames homerism, he has some real offensive creativity and the skills to execute most of the stuff as well. Not that great on the faceoff dot or in the corners but dangerous around the net.

TT and Barkov are quite probably much safer bets to be full time NHLers but for a 2nd round pick Granlund looks just fine to me.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:05 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

In other news, I am really surprised that Finland is in the relegation-round. I thought they would be competing for gold.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Backlund

Quote:
If I had the #1 pick, I'd have a really hard time calling anyone else's name besides Monahan, I love that kid. Barkov is intriguing to simply because of everything that he possesses. And after watching Lindholm more, I do think he could be a special player. I really don't get the hype about Jones. He's going to be a fine NHL dman no question, but there is no way I'd select him at 1. I personally have him around 5-7.
Same, I just love the way he plays and think he could be a perfect fit with the Flames. There are so many great forwards available at the next draft, I really hope we end up with a top 5 pick.

I can see why Jones is hyped so much but think he needs to simplify his game more. He was trying to do too much and kept turning the puck over. I'd rank him about 3-5.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think Jones will be good, but I just don't see him becoming a Pronger level of dman. If you look at a dman like Hedman who's very good, yet I think still needs to be considered somewhat of a disappointment because he hasn't lived up to the hype that was expected of him. I see a similar path for Jones based on what I've seen of him. I think he's going to be really good, but I would not take him 2nd overall with the other talents available.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Raw talents, yes. But his decision making, from what I've seen in the tournament, looks pretty rough. If it's indicative of his actual hockey sense (which I have no idea of one way or the other) then my bet is he ends up like something along the lines of Phaneuf as a ceiling. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but when you have options like Barkov kicking around in the same group, it's not necessarily ideal.
That's the one issue that's stood out to me as well, his hockey sense.

In the Slovakia game he was jumping up into the play on the PK when the US was winning 6-2 or something. Ray Ferraro called him out on it.

Still a work in progress no doubt, but he's special

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
That's the one issue that's stood out to me as well, his hockey sense.

In the Slovakia game he was jumping up into the play on the PK when the US was winning 6-2 or something. Ray Ferraro called him out on it.

Still a work in progress no doubt, but he's special
I would attribute that to a Phil Housley coached team.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:41 AM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
Baertschi-Jankowski-Gaudreau

I can only dream.

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Unkki

vCash: 500
Nice job Johnny-boy! Hattrick for Gaudreau after two sets against Czech Rebublic. 5 goals in tournament so far, looking good. Nice to see that Sieloff is playing too.

Granlund scored 4+1 in four games and he played good at times but at times he was bad, especially against Czech Rebublic. But showed against Switzerland, that he's ice cold when you have to make couple of goals to get the win. Overall he was ok.

Unkki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:53 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

What a showing by Gaudreau! Keeps getting better every game!

It's gunna be a good game tomorrow, let's just hope the right team wins. Go Canada!