HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 08:12 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The last three games he has been off...any huge Gally fan would admit that.
I said as such in my post yet he's still 2nd in scoring while playing on a pretty crappy line. That in and of itself should be a testament to how good this kid is.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I've seen every US game and not to make excuses for Gally but what exactly is the problem everyone seems to rag on? He's 2nd in tourney scoring behind 1 guy who should be in the NHL on a stacked team. He's done all he's been asked to on what everyone knows is not his natural position and what everyone knows to be sub par line mates in an effort to spread the scoring.

Has he been the main driving force for the US? not really, but again, he's not been asked to or been put in a position to do so by Housley. For what he's done and how he's done it, I think he's doing a pretty remarkable job. Far better than just about every other player not named Ryan Nuggent-Hopkins, who plays first line at his natural position on the best team and who's he's only behind by 1 point. Yeah, huge bust.

Some of you need a good shake.
'Cause everything is often more than points. I would have taken 2 points less but a strong showing instead. Yet, in this tournament, and whether it's his mistake or Housley, with a line that clicks and with a strong showing....he's ahead by 5-6 points as #1 scorer. Now, we also needs to be careful with those "He's 2nd scorer of the tournament". Most of everybody's comments against a player are about the type of opposition he had. How many points against Germany and Slovakia? Galchenyuk is more than beating weak teams. Having said all of that...he's not awful. But his tournament is still not going the way we'd all like it to be despite this 2nd place in scoring.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:22 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause everything is often more than points. I would have taken 2 points less but a strong showing instead. Yet, in this tournament, and whether it's his mistake or Housley, with a line that clicks and with a strong showing....he's ahead by 5-6 points as #1 scorer. Now, we also needs to be careful with those "He's 2nd scorer of the tournament". Most of everybody's comments against a player are about the type of opposition he had. How many points against Germany and Slovakia? Galchenyuk is more than beating weak teams. Having said all of that...he's not awful. But his tournament is still not going the way we'd all like it to be despite this 2nd place in scoring.
I agree it's not just about points. But as for your last comment, Gally was in on 100% of the scoring against Canada and Russia. He loaded up on points against lesser teams but than again that what's supposed to happen.

The only reason Gallys line is the "2nd" line is because he's on it. If it was any one else, it would like likely be a 3rd line. Put him at centre with Miller, Baudreau etc and I think you'd see him being the player in this tourney everyone wants to see. Problem is that he's playing with guys he has zero chemistry with and don't have the complementary skills required of playing with a guy like Gally.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
USA has no problem beating weak teams, it's not only a Galchenyuk thing. His team scored 2 goals in total vs Russia and USA, games in which Galchenyuk didn't have top line ice time, yet, he participated in both of those goals. I don't think he's off as some people think, his line doesn't seem to click and that is partially due to USA not playing a puck possesion game, specially against stronger teams. To me, him finding a way to contribute even if he's not playing his usual game is encouraging. He wont be a hero if he's not asked to be one and I think that we were expecting him to carry the U.S team, but that's not what is asked of him.

So I believe, that in these circumstances, Galchenyuk is doing fine and we have to be careful of our judgement of his performance when we're watching him so closely instead of the bigger picture.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Man...this kid is going to have unreal pressure when he eventually gets to Montreal.

he's 2nd in tournament scoring behind a guy who should be in the NHL, on a team where he's not used to his full capacity, playing vs the best players in the world of his age group, as an 18yr old no less, and it's STILL not good enough.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:33 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I agree it's not just about points. But as for your last comment, Gally was in on 100% of the scoring against Canada and Russia. He loaded up on points against lesser teams but than again that what's supposed to happen.

The only reason Gallys line is the "2nd" line is because he's on it. If it was any one else, it would like likely be a 3rd line. Put him at centre with Miller, Baudreau etc and I think you'd see him being the player in this tourney everyone wants to see. Problem is that he's playing with guys he has zero chemistry with and don't have the complementary skills required of playing with a guy like Gally.
Very well said.

Galchenyuk doesn't even seem to be a part of the coaches strategy either. He should be being used in the same capacity that RNH is being used for Canada.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Man...this kid is going to have unreal pressure when he eventually gets to Montreal.

he's 2nd in tournament scoring behind a guy who should be in the NHL, on a team where he's not used to his full capacity, playing vs the best players in the world of his age group, as an 18yr old no less, and it's STILL not good enough.
Not to mention, he's only played 41 games since going through a big knee injury, and he's producing just a few points short of 2ppg pace (almost 1goal per game pace!).

If there's one thing I really don't miss about hockey, is the stupid and crazy expectations/analysis of certain habs fans.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:51 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

Yeah, I don't know what some are expecting.

Seems like they have this idealized standard of a player and hold Galchenyuk up to that standard, i.e., doesn't matter who he's playing with, doesn't matter that the coach seems to wait for anyone but Gally to put up points, doesn't matter that he's not in a position to succeed/contribute (funny thing is, he has, but that doesn't matter because his play hasn't been up to par), and not given the icetime (it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: let him put up points, but continue to roll 4 lines, then wait till he falters and then staple him to the bench - he can't win icetime in this situation unless he somehow singlehandedly scores half his team's offense).

Edit:
Here are some mythical abilities that people like to impose upon players:
- goaltenders like Patrick Roy just "refuse" to let the puck go in; he refuses and it won't go in (an even higher form of "never gives up on the puck", which is a higher form of athleticism, etc.)
- players like Galchenyuk should be immune to frustration, play a strong game AND contribute no matter the situation (the all or none ability). As much as some claim that they would rather have Galchenyuk play a strong game without points, that's not reeeally true because strong games lead to points, and if he is an elite prospect, Galchenyuk should be putting up points [with the right attitude].

Last edited by jedimyrmidon: 12-31-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old
12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
When your prospect scores 7pts in 4 games while being bad/off his game, I think it's pretty good.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:56 AM
NotProkofievian

Worst 2nd in tournament scorer...EVER!

Old
12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
PricePkPatch

Am telling you; when the USA coaching drew up their team, they did not, and still do not have "Galchenyuk" penciled as one of their key players.

And therefore, treat him like a supernumerary player, only good to fill a roster spot on the wing. Not a player to core your team.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Am telling you; when the USA coaching drew up their team, they did not, and still do not have "Galchenyuk" penciled as one of their key players.

And therefore, treat him like a supernumerary player, only good to fill a roster spot on the wing. Not a player to core your team.
I think that's taking too far. He plays 1st line PP and is expected to tow a line that is NOT a 2nd in anyone's books.

I think they see him as a secondary player and Housley is being loyal to the older players who have been part of the US program since they started playing. Galy is secondary only that he doesn't seem to be one of "them" and he's 18. This was made more apparent by cutting Boucher. Had the US had the foresight to put them on a line together as a real 2nd or 1st, I think we'd be seeing a different Gally and dare I say, one with even more points.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I think that's taking too far. He plays 1st line PP and is expected to tow a line that is NOT a 2nd in anyone's books.

I think they see him as a secondary player and Housley is being loyal to the older players who have been part of the US program since they started playing. Galy is secondary only that he doesn't seem to be one of "them" and he's 18. This was made more apparent by cutting Boucher. Had the US had the foresight to put them on a line together as a real 2nd or 1st, I think we'd be seeing a different Gally and dare I say, one with even more points.
Your offensive game plan needs to revolve around your best player. This is the equivalent of Dan Bylsma using Jordan Staal over Sidney Crosby. Grimaldi has been atrocious.

They should have built team US around Galchenyuk at forward, and that meant bringing in Reid Boucher as well.

It's going to cost them dearly, especially if Housley doesn't wake up.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:17 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Your offensive game plan needs to revolve around your best player. This is the equivalent of Dan Bylsma using Jordan Staal over Sidney Crosby. Grimaldi has been atrocious.

They should have built team US around Galchenyuk at forward, and that meant bringing in Reid Boucher as well.

It's going to cost them dearly, especially if Housley doesn't wake up.
I totally agree with that. They should have built team around who is obviously their best player. That being said, I don't think they don't know that, they just went in a different direction and I don't think that means they're so myopic that they don't recognize Gally is their best player. Like I said, they seem to be going with "their" guys and not the best possible team. That's why they won't win it or a tleast one of the reasons.

I wouldn't expect Housley to change anything. If he was going to, it would have been this game but it didn't happen. Too bad Gally won't play for them next year as he'll be with the Habs

Old
12-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Habnot

Quote:
If he wouldn't of put up the points, we would be hearing the reverse. Your assessment is surprising given your usual level headiness. He's been dominant on the PP, and on 5x5, he has received little support from linemates. Not sure what else he needs to do.

Quote:

So right. This is why we can't have nice things.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

Housley was rolling the 4 lines pretty equally for a while, but apparently Gally had a bad game against Svk today and saw very little icetime, i.e., someone on Team USA has actually been benched (not sure if this has been confirmed).

But yeah, if Housley is only using the Svk game as a measuring stick for the QFs then that's pretty frustrating. If anything, it seems like Housley is willing to wait for the good ol' boys on his team to step up.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:22 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I totally agree with that. They should have built team around who is obviously their best player. That being said, I don't think they don't know that, they just went in a different direction and I don't think that means they're so myopic that they don't recognize Gally is their best player. Like I said, they seem to be going with "their" guys and not the best possible team. That's why they won't win it or a tleast one of the reasons.

I wouldn't expect Housley to change anything. If he was going to, it would have been this game but it didn't happen. Too bad Gally won't play for them next year as he'll be with the Habs
I can agree with that.

How could a player in the CHL possibly be better than a player in a US hockey league?

Old
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
otto bond

I think that in general, some posters have been to critical of Galchenyuk.
Yes, he didn't dominate like we all wanted him to. He didn't have that extra gear we know he can have. Aside from Trouba and there goalie, team USA had no chemistry, they were not very sharp.
My evaluation of Galchenuyk in this tournament, I say he did just fine.

Team USA's coaching has fail the team IMO. They didn't get that leadership, confidence and stabilaty from that coach. They are not out of a medal contention but unless some adjusment is made from the coaching stand point, I don't see any success for them.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

RNH is reaping this wjc.. 11pts and game vs russia not over... but he a year older. (Please you know i mean draft year).

Old
12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Indeed. It's sacrificing victory in the name of bigotry. You promote people part of your system, and you keep down the outsiders.

therefore, you understand why so many of us are critic of Housley?

Old
12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Housley was rolling the 4 lines pretty equally for a while, but apparently Gally had a bad game against Svk today and saw very little icetime, i.e., someone on Team USA has actually been benched (not sure if this has been confirmed).

But yeah, if Housley is only using the Svk game as a measuring stick for the QFs then that's pretty frustrating. If anything, it seems like Housley is willing to wait for the good ol' boys on his team to step up.
Grimaldi was benched before the game.

Not sure how bad Gally played given his ice time, PP time and points. Not his best game for sure. That being said, Housley should figure out a way to get his best player to play better if he hopes to win. I don't think Miller and Beaudreu are going to get you to the finals, though Gibson, Trouba and Jones might.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

[QUOTE=Myron Gaines;56955653]
Quote:

Has nothing to do with that. In Montreal, through most sane people, he'll be a rookie with low expectations. But then he'll build his experience and will have more expectations like every top 5 pick receives. Of course in Montreal, with the bad history we have, we need results. So we will count on him to deliver in due time. Just like we're counting on Price to make the difference from time to time or Subban. That's what gamechanging players needs to deal with as their career progresses. They are not afraid of that, we shouldn't be either. 'Cause it's about time that we have expectations in Montreal....

Old
12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Grimaldi was benched before the game.

Not sure how bad Gally played given his ice time, PP time and points. Not his best game for sure. That being said, Housley should figure out a way to get his best player to play better if he hopes to win. I don't think Miller and Beaudreu are going to get you to the finals, though Gibson, Trouba and Jones might.
Good point, Housley sucks.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

By the way.....Huberdeau, for me, has been more dissapointing than Gally. By far. Based on points+overall play+players he's playing with....And that's not even close. Yet, nobody should worry about Huberdeau's future either.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Maybe he's still rusty?

Closed Thread