HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Whitesnake;56958719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post

Has nothing to do with that. In Montreal, through most sane people, he'll be a rookie with low expectations. But then he'll build his experience and will have more expectations like every top 5 pick receives. Of course in Montreal, with the bad history we have, we need results. So we will count on him to deliver in due time. Just like we're counting on Price to make the difference from time to time or Subban. That's what gamechanging players needs to deal with as their career progresses. They are not afraid of that, we shouldn't be either. 'Cause it's about time that we have expectations in Montreal....
Too manynMontreal "fans" are faaar from rational or sane.

They've tried to run both Price and PK out of town because they didn't live up to "expectations." I have no doubt that no matter how good Gally will be or not be, there will be some people who expect him to be better than Gretzky and Lemieux combined or he'll be a bust. The sad part isn't that these crazies exist, it's how many of them there are!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause everything is often more than points. I would have taken 2 points less but a strong showing instead. Yet, in this tournament, and whether it's his mistake or Housley, with a line that clicks and with a strong showing....he's ahead by 5-6 points as #1 scorer. Now, we also needs to be careful with those "He's 2nd scorer of the tournament". Most of everybody's comments against a player are about the type of opposition he had. How many points against Germany and Slovakia? Galchenyuk is more than beating weak teams. Having said all of that...he's not awful. But his tournament is still not going the way we'd all like it to be despite this 2nd place in scoring.
I understand your disapointement but you can denied that for an 18yearold kid, he's done OK. I have watched all the US game and I would say him playing on the wing, he not that bad. Points are one thing but momentum is more important along with confidence. Aside form the PP, I have seen no more then 10 solide tape to tape pass from his line mate to him and that's in 4 games. Why was he not move to center his behond me but that's just me.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I think that in general, some posters have been to critical of Galchenyuk.
Yes, he didn't dominate like we all wanted him to. He didn't have that extra gear we know he can have. Aside from Trouba and there goalie, team USA had no chemistry, they were not very sharp.
My evaluation of Galchenuyk in this tournament, I say he did just fine.

Team USA's coaching has fail the team IMO. They didn't get that leadership, confidence and stabilaty from that coach. They are not out of a medal contention but unless some adjusment is made from the coaching stand point, I don't see any success for them.
I'm just concerned that now that the likes of Trocheck and Gaudreau have scored 2 goals (in the game against Svk), Housley will use Gally's line as a 4th line that sees very little icetime despite Gally leading the team in pts. That would be a gigantic fail as a coach.

I can also imagine some posters on here sagely nodding their heads, writing that Gally hasn't shown much this tournament, is clearly frustrated/not the right attitude and he isn't deserving of better linemates or more icetime, "he'll need to be a lot better in the future because I'm just disappointed right now, thought he could put up pts with the right attitude, in any situation, with anyone, with any amount of icetime", ...

Old
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Delete

Old
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Estimated_Prophet

His center has been atrocious as Kuraly has done more harm than good. It is very difficult to produce at all as a winger when your center can't control the middle of the ice.

I find it funny how nobody can pin point what it is that Galchenyuk is specifically doing wrong. They just generalize and say that he needs to be better or he needs to go get the puck and take control. If you understand how the game is played when you are watching him, he simply hasn't had the opportunity to do anything because he is not being given the puck. The play hs been on the far side of the ice more often than not and his linemates aren't able to move the puck across to him. This ridiculous idea that he needs to take control of the game would only hold water if he was playing center where he can go get the puck regardless of which wing it is on. As it is he has to stay on his side of the ice and wait for the puck...........hard to look great when you don't have the puck.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
His center has been atrocious as Kuraly has done more harm than good. It is very difficult to produce at all as a winger when your center can't control the middle of the ice.

I find it funny how nobody can pin point what it is that Galchenyuk is specifically doing wrong. They just generalize and say that he needs to be better or he needs to go get the puck and take control. If you understand how the game is played when you are watching him, he simply hasn't had the opportunity to do anything because he is not being given the puck. The play hs been on the far side of the ice more often than not and his linemates aren't able to move the puck across to him. This ridiculous idea that he needs to take control of the game would only hold water if he was playing center where he can go get the puck regardless of which wing it is on. As it is he has to stay on his side of the ice and wait for the puck...........hard to look great when you don't have the puck.
This is 100% what I think. Like I said in a post just above yours, he hasn't got solide pass from anyone....let alone from that center on his line.
PLAY HIM AT CENTER HOUSLEY!!!!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:46 AM
PricePkPatch

[QUOTE=shutehinside;56959149]
Quote:

They've tried to run both Price and PK out of town because they didn't live up to "expectations." I have no doubt that no matter how good Gally will be or not be, there will be some people who expect him to be better than Gretzky and Lemieux combined or he'll be a bust. The sad part isn't that these crazies exist, it's how many of them there are!
Oh really? We tried to run PK out of town? When?

Old
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
If he wouldn't of put up the points, we would be hearing the reverse. Your assessment is surprising given your usual level headiness. He's been dominant on the PP, and on 5x5, he has received little support from linemates. Not sure what else he needs to do.
No. If he would not put up points, or like I mentioned 2 or 3 points less, he'd be at Scheifele's level...Who's bashing Scheifele? Yet, people, including myself, is bashing Huberdeau. Yet....both Scheifele and Huberdeau have the same number of points. Isn't that proof enough that points isn't everything? Geez, Huberdeau, a "vet", has been replaced by a rookie not even drafted.

No, at worst, there would be some mentions about Gally not being able to convert. But there would be mentions about him being everywhere. Being able to distribute the puck left and right, yet his weak teamates unable to convert. So you would have pros as well. Now, we mostly hide behind the fact that he's #2 in scoring. Which is a good feature...if it wasn't, I would be saying he's absolutely awful, which I am not doing. Hamilton has had a tough time too, really dissapointing and not necessarily 'cause he wasn't scoring but because he looked tentative defensively and he was counted on to be THE rock on D. Today, he scores...some will say he's then playing much better but guess what....he also is defensively. I guess that's what confidence does to you.

I also keep mentioning that it's not all HIS fault. I do say that. I keep saying how Housley can't mix his lines even if his life depended on it. That Gally would have deserved at least to see the likes of Trocheck (even when he was struggling), Lucia, Vesey, or whoever instead of awful Kuraly who's clearly Rico Fata part 2, and Barber. But Gally gets his PP time. PP time that he should have been able to use to get his confidence going. I mean, obviously Sweden is a much better team....but Collberg's goals on the PP has been a direct result of his great PP play and awareness. Gally even seems tentative there.

Anyway, again, not saying he's awful. Not saying he's not in the Habs top 6 plans anymore, just saying I'd wish I'd see him more. Just saying that I'd wish he would have been what Stepan or even our own Kristo was for the supposed future superstar D'Amigo. Most likely, while D'Amigo might become a future 3rd liner in the league, he won't be a scorer. Stepan and Kristo MADE him that. I would have loved to see Gally MAKE his linemates more important to that team. But I guess there are something you just can't do.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
shutehinside

[QUOTE=PricePkPatch;56959597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

You really don't remember all the rumours in the media and boards about trading PK? His "bad" attitude etc?

Old
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
RDS makes it their top story whenever he gets a dirty look at practice. Now a portion of the fanbase assumes PK has a bad attitude, and should be traded for a forward now that we have Beaulieu on the farm. Ridiculousness, I'd do my best to keep ignoring it!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
pcamp

It is funny how Galchenyuk is disappointing with 7 points in 4 games when Grigorenko,Yakupov, Huberdeau, are all playing for a better team, with better linemates and still not mentionned as much as galchenyuk.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Jigger77

[QUOTE=shutehinside;56959853]
Quote:

You really don't remember all the rumours in the media and boards about trading PK? His "bad" attitude etc?
What people don't realize is that what is said on this website is a minute portion of the total fans out there and it means literally nothing for the most part. Just look at this thread, it's a complete cluster**** of nothingness.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
It is funny how Galchenyuk is disappointing with 7 points in 4 games when Grigorenko,Yakupov, Huberdeau, are all playing for a better team, with better linemates and still not mentionned as much as galchenyuk.
None of the aforementioned players are Hab prospects...........probably has something to do with it.

Old
shutehinside

[QUOTE=Jigger77;56959945]
Quote:

What people don't realize is that what is said on this website is a minute portion of the total fans out there and it means literally nothing for the most part. Just look at this thread, it's a complete cluster**** of nothingness.
I was talking more about RDS and other local media stories that was discussed on this board.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
It's pretty wild, honestly.

Some people need to reconcile their unrealistic expectations with reality. Galchenyuk is doing great, and that's despite the team/coach he plays for and the players he plays with.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Yhea, I remember some people put it into their head to criticize PK on every other turn. But they were a (vocal) minority, and the Bell Center's crowd never actually displayed any kind of hostility to Subban.

Not the way they shown Price at times, anyway. Where Price's critics were a large portion of the fanbase because of Halak/Huet, Subban's were just people who jumped the gun and liked to scream loud like retards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
RDS makes it their top story whenever he gets a dirty look at practice. Now a portion of the fanbase assumes PK has a bad attitude, and should be traded for a forward now that we have Beaulieu on the farm. Ridiculousness, I'd do my best to keep ignoring it!
Again, that wasn't reflected in the actual fanbase. Just because dumb media need to invent stories to sell their papers doesn't mean the FANBASE was trying to run Subban otu of town.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

True. Yet, tons of other fanbases are also doing it yet somehow we don't see it. And exagerations will not do anything good. Price had a tough time 'cause we got rid of a hometown hero who almost by himself gave us the best thrilled since 1993. Price was put in a position to succeed immediately, he has not done it, not entirely his fault but the end result and yet....nobody is asking for his head. Might happen if he doesn't do it soon and frankly he has to come up big in the upcoming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I understand your disapointement but you can denied that for an 18yearold kid, he's done OK. I have watched all the US game and I would say him playing on the wing, he not that bad. Points are one thing but momentum is more important along with confidence. Aside form the PP, I have seen no more then 10 solide tape to tape pass from his line mate to him and that's in 4 games. Why was he not move to center his behond me but that's just me.
Strangely, I would have said more than OK. But my expectations, and again, I'M not solely pointing him for that, was to see more. He plays with awful linemates, Housley doesn't seem to be able to look past that and that's Housley's fault. But I thought that Gally had in him to make some of his teamates famous for the time of a World Juniors la D'Amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I'm just concerned that now that the likes of Trocheck and Gaudreau have scored 2 goals (in the game against Svk), Housley will use Gally's line as a 4th line that sees very little icetime despite Gally leading the team in pts. That would be a gigantic fail as a coach.

I can also imagine some posters on here sagely nodding their heads, writing that Gally hasn't shown much this tournament, is clearly frustrated/not the right attitude and he isn't deserving of better linemates or more icetime, "he'll need to be a lot better in the future because I'm just disappointed right now, thought he could put up pts with the right attitude, in any situation, with anyone, with any amount of icetime", ...
My point. Can't wait to see how he is used from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

But while he doesn't have the puck as he'd be playing center, he does have the puck. At one point, we can't pinpoint the great stats that he has, and say that he never gets it. He missed the net in quite a few occasions. Missed quite a few passes that seemed in the skates of his teamates. Had a couple of turnovers. Didn't win a whole lot of battles along the boards, didn't fight a whole lot to reach the open spaces to get the puck and so on. But did a good job with the talent level he has to deal with. A Noesen and Kerdiles on his wings with him as the centerman, the confidence is there, and I'm convince we see a different Gally with probably leading the tournament in points.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Well Huberdeau keeps being criticized so not sure what you're watching. So much that it's coming from his coach as well and he's been replaced by a rookie. Yakupov has also been called as dissapointing until the last game. But Grigorenko has been seen as doing a great job in his overall play. Which should prove that you also have to look past the numbers sometimes. But the numbers do say that he's not as awful as some like to think he is. But he's not dominating either.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Yhea, I remember some people put it into their head to criticize PK on every other turn. But they were a (vocal) minority, and the Bell Center's crowd never actually displayed any kind of hostility to Subban.

Not the way they shown Price at times, anyway. Where Price's critics were a large portion of the fanbase because of Halak/Huet, Subban's were just people who jumped the gun and liked to scream loud like retards.

Again, that wasn't reflected in the actual fanbase. Just because dumb media need to invent stories to sell their papers doesn't mean the FANBASE was trying to run Subban otu of town.
I think a large portion of the fan base believes any and everything they hear on RDS. That being said, there were stories of PK being traded and many "fans" were saying they wouldn't mind and were putting forth their trade proposals. It became so dominate that it was a regular discussion point on talk radio, tv etc.

I don't see how you can say it never happened.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's pretty wild, honestly.

Some people need to reconcile their unrealistic expectations with reality. Galchenyuk is doing great, and that's despite the team/coach he plays for and the players he plays with.
Is JT Miller doing a great job so far? So if people say no, they have to give him almost the same type of excuses that Gally has 'cause one of his linemate was benched for the entire game based on how uneffective he was. And we can't say that Gaudreau was incredibly good either before today. Yet, my point is that Miller HAS to be accountable for his poor showing, based on how experienced he is and that he needed to take charge as well. But with that in mind, everybody realize how weak this US team is up front. Even with today's blowout.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:09 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I think a large portion of the fan base believes any and everything they hear on RDS. That being said, there were stories of PK being traded and many "fans" were saying they wouldn't mind and were putting forth their trade proposals. It became so dominate that it was a regular discussion point on talk radio, tv etc.

I don't see how you can say it never happened.
I am saying you are blowing this event way out of proportion. This sort of event happened for most players.

If you want to see how players are being driven out of town, just look at Brisebois, Koivu, Kostityn

Old
12-31-2012, 11:16 AM
FrankMTL

Its funny, but none of the top picks in the last draft seems to be doing that great.

1) Yakupov- Has been mediocre to horrible
2) Murray- N/A Injured
3) Galchenyuk- Dissapointing, but is still second in scoring in tournament
4) Reinhart- Haven't really noticed him all that much, a few mistakes
5) Rielly- A little bit like Galchenyuk, some good and bad moments
6) Lindholm- N/A Injured
7) Dumba- Did not make team
8) Pouliot- Did not make team
9) Trouba- Great tournament so far, probably the Americans best player
10) Koekkoek- Did not make team
11) Forsberg- Medicore tournament, good and bad moments
12) Grigorenko- Been good some moments and invisible others
13) Faksa- Haven't heard much about him, 2 assists in 4 games
14) Girgensons- Not at tournament
15) Ceci- Did not make team

To be honest with you, besides Trouba, no Top 15 pick has had a great tournament. Yes I was expecting Gally to dominate, but he's not and for some reason hasn't found himself yet in this tournament. This is not a make or break tournament for players. Some have dominated in this tournament and have struggled during their career just like some that have struggled during this tournament and had great careers afterwards.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 12-31-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old
12-31-2012, 11:18 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
I am saying you are blowing this event way out of proportion. This sort of event happened for most players.

If you want to see how players are being driven out of town, just look at Brisebois, Koivu, Kostityn
I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I just mentioned that like most highly regarded rookies in the past, anything short of god like performance leads to the inevitable "bust" or "trade" etc calls from fans. I wasn't singling out PK but rather the fans for being ridiculous in their expectations.

To respond to Whitesnake, yes, this unrealistic expectation happens in many other markets and maybe more so in some others. Toronto is a prime example where the expectations are beyond unrealistic. I expect it has to do with a fan base who really cares and wants nothing more than to win and this hang all thier hopes on any glimmer of hope that might get them there.

All I'm saying is Montreal fans are some of the worse offenders in the league of doing this. Not the worst, but top 5 for sure. We care and want to win but pinning all our hopes on kids is a silly way to go about it. It's not going to be 1 player who wins a cup but rather a solid team with a great coach. Hopefully Gally will fit in well with Price, PK, Patches etc and help us over the hump. A good team makes a good player better.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Gally is suffering from an adjustment period IMO. He's gone from being the man in Sarnia to being just one of Housleys 12 forwards.

And he hasn't been bad. A great performance in an elimination game will make everyone forget about this.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Is JT Miller doing a great job so far? So if people say no, they have to give him almost the same type of excuses that Gally has 'cause one of his linemate was benched for the entire game based on how uneffective he was. And we can't say that Gaudreau was incredibly good either before today. Yet, my point is that Miller HAS to be accountable for his poor showing, based on how experienced he is and that he needed to take charge as well. But with that in mind, everybody realize how weak this US team is up front. Even with today's blowout.
You're forgetting one pretty big point - even with all those "excuses", Galchenyuk has been producing and Miller hasn't been. Before today's game, if I'm not mistaken, Galchenyuk had 5 points in 3 games and Miller had 1 point, a goal in the late stages of the Germany game, in 3 games.

Closed Thread