HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
jedimyrmidon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Is JT Miller doing a great job so far? So if people say no, they have to give him almost the same type of excuses that Gally has 'cause one of his linemate was benched for the entire game based on how uneffective he was. And we can't say that Gaudreau was incredibly good either before today. Yet, my point is that Miller HAS to be accountable for his poor showing, based on how experienced he is and that he needed to take charge as well. But with that in mind, everybody realize how weak this US team is up front. Even with today's blowout.
Except Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi were widely viewed as Team USA's top line and, yet, until today, they all combined for a whopping 2 pts. So, no, I wouldn't say that Miller & co. had the same excuses as Gally. He definitely is not in the same category and yet Housley probably has him lumped in with the rest of his line/teammates.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
True. Yet, tons of other fanbases are also doing it yet somehow we don't see it. And exagerations will not do anything good. Price had a tough time 'cause we got rid of a hometown hero who almost by himself gave us the best thrilled since 1993. Price was put in a position to succeed immediately, he has not done it, not entirely his fault but the end result and yet....nobody is asking for his head. Might happen if he doesn't do it soon and frankly he has to come up big in the upcoming years.

Strangely, I would have said more than OK. But my expectations, and again, I'M not solely pointing him for that, was to see more. He plays with awful linemates, Housley doesn't seem to be able to look past that and that's Housley's fault. But I thought that Gally had in him to make some of his teamates famous for the time of a World Juniors à la D'Amigo.

My point. Can't wait to see how he is used from now on.

But while he doesn't have the puck as he'd be playing center, he does have the puck. At one point, we can't pinpoint the great stats that he has, and say that he never gets it. He missed the net in quite a few occasions. Missed quite a few passes that seemed in the skates of his teamates. Had a couple of turnovers. Didn't win a whole lot of battles along the boards, didn't fight a whole lot to reach the open spaces to get the puck and so on. But did a good job with the talent level he has to deal with. A Noesen and Kerdiles on his wings with him as the centerman, the confidence is there, and I'm convince we see a different Gally with probably leading the tournament in points.
I think he has been quite good at protecting the puck along the boards and for the most part his passing has been fantastic. He has made a number of quick one touch passes in the offensive zone that were quite impressive. I don't agree with him not fighting to get to open spaces so we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I would like to see him hold the puck more often in the offensive zone as opposed to deferring to less talented teammates but we have already discussed that at length. Don't want to sound like I am arguing with you as you are a good poster but I think we are seeing things a little differently in this tournament. I am the last person to blindly defend a player as I have made my opinion on fanboys very clear on this site. I just believe that people's expectations of Galchenyuk in this tournament may be slightly unreasonable. I think we can both agree on that point.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

People are actually ragging on him? Get your heads out of your collective *****.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You're forgetting one pretty big point - even with all those "excuses", Galchenyuk has been producing and Miller hasn't been. Before today's game, if I'm not mistaken, Galchenyuk had 5 points in 3 games and Miller had 1 point, a goal in the late stages of the Germany game, in 3 games.
Not forgetting anything. I am calling Miller's extremely dissapointing while Gally is been having a good one.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

Wow, it's only after the 4th game that the entire first line finally has more points than Galchenyuk

Old
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Not forgetting anything. I am calling Miller's extremely dissapointing while Gally is been having a good one.
Miller doesn't project to be much of a scorer in the NHL so I can't say that I am that surprised at his lack of production. I really thought Grimaldi would be better than he has been though.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Miller doesn't project to be much of a scorer in the NHL so I can't say that I am that surprised at his lack of production. I really thought Grimaldi would be better than he has been though.
Depends on what websites you check. Some really think he has the potential to be a good scorer..

The hockey news has this about him..

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?9007

ASSETS: Has a wealth of speed and offensive acumen, the versatility to play center or wing, as well as the size and grit to play a power forward's game.
FLAWS: Needs to get bigger and physically stronger in order to excel at playing his in-your-face style at the highest level. Also needs to work on his playmaking.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Talented and versatile scoring forward with good upside.

But yeah, I agree with you regarding his upside and the fact he's not a pure scorer. Should probably be doing more than he is right now though.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Even so, when you factor in his age and his experience (AHL), I think people are right to expect more from him.

Last edited by hototogisu: 12-31-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old
12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
People are actually ragging on him? Get your heads out of your collective *****.
completly agree, peoples need to get a clue!!!

Old
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
People here need to wake up

As if a player has to dominate every single game he is in. As if Crosby or Malkin don't have off games. The difference between star players and the rest is that even in a ''bad'' game, they still produce points, which Galchenyuk has clearly done...

Just be glad we finally have a stud up front and stop complaining about every single detail, he will never be perfect but not only does he make up for it in skill, he makes up for it big time with his off the charts work ethic

Some people, complaining just for the sake of it

Old
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

To me Galchenyuk has been trying to play a pro's game. It almost seems to me he wants to show the Hab's brass he's ready for the pro's instead of spending some more quality time in Sarnia.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Except Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi were widely viewed as Team USA's top line and, yet, until today, they all combined for a whopping 2 pts. So, no, I wouldn't say that Miller & co. had the same excuses as Gally. He definitely is not in the same category and yet Housley probably has him lumped in with the rest of his line/teammates.
Seen as the first line and being the first line is 2 different things. Look at every US team for the past few years, even the one who finished 7th, and I'm not even sure they are on the 3rd line. So Miller DOES have the excuse of having really 2 ordinairy wingers, a guy that was benched today and another one who has been underperforming. Yet, again, I am not using that excuse for him. He has been the most dissapointing player so far.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I have him higher in my expectations as far as his offense is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
People here need to wake up

As if a player has to dominate every single game he is in. As if Crosby or Malkin don't have off games. The difference between star players and the rest is that even in a ''bad'' game, they still produce points, which Galchenyuk has clearly done...

Just be glad we finally have a stud up front and stop complaining about every single detail, he will never be perfect but not only does he make up for it in skill, he makes up for it big time with his off the charts work ethic

Some people, complaining just for the sake of it
Will always love to read people complaining about people complaining. Then, nobody writes him off. Just talking about the tournament in itself. Strangely though, I'm pretty we would have blast bashing Malcolm Subban if he would have just been good. But I guess it's not the same standards.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
rockjngo

Galchenyuk is quietly leading his team while playing with overrated linemates.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Galchenyuk is quietly leading his team while playing with overrated linemates.
I guess that depends on what your definition of 'overrated' is

Old
12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
jphabs

He got points today too

Don't know if you guys know, but according to IIHF site, Galchenchuk now has 7 points, 2 goals and 5 assists, following his team's win 9-3 over Slovakia today. I think the game wasn't televised so it was kind of buried. That means he had 1 goal and 2 assists in that game. Should have had more in a 9-3 rout. Bust.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Seen as the first line and being the first line is 2 different things. Look at every US team for the past few years, even the one who finished 7th, and I'm not even sure they are on the 3rd line.
Yeah, for sure. I just meant that in the sense that, as the 1st line, they should be held accountable for their lack of production, which wasn't the case for at least 3 games (haven't seen today's) as all lines continued to be rolled. While Gally and his line haven't been great by any means, Gally still has points while his linemates don't (and still leads the team in scoring), and should have that to his credit, but I fear that Gally is being held accountable over a guy like Captain America Miller, and may suffer from this in the medal round.

As you've said before, at least have Trocheck center Gally if not put Gally at center himself instead of a guy like Kuraly. Heck, Miller who isn't normally a center is being played at center! Kinda puzzling, if you ask me.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I think it goes to show Galchenyuk's skill level. I mean who else can play average/not at his best and be tied for 2nd in the tournament in points as the only 18 year old in the top 10 aside from...Collberg.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Guilliam

Any vid of his goal? was it a nice goal?

Old
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Game

Actually, Galchenyuk has had chemistry with 1 teammate, and it's with defenseman Jacob Trouba. If I'm not mistaken, Galchenyuk has assisted/set-up all of Trouba's goals

Old
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Zeroknowledge*

It's gonna be very hard to dominate when the opponent team's defense only has to focus on Gally and neglect his non skilled line mates. The fact that he is still leading his team in points is huge, had he been Canadian and playing on their second line with Strome and Drouin his dominance would've been showcased much more.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
yes, he hammered a one timer.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Actually, Galchenyuk has had chemistry with 1 teammate, and it's with defenseman Jacob Trouba. If I'm not mistaken, Galchenyuk has assisted/set-up all of Trouba's goals
Three of them. The only one he did not assist on was the goal against Germany.

But you're absolutely bang on with this point. Galchenyuk and Trouba have excellent chemistry together, whether it's 5-on-5, 5-on-4, any situation really. Gally always manages to find Trouba open, and is the reason for Trouba getting 2-3 quality shots a game.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Three of them. The only one he did not assist on was the goal against Germany.

But you're absolutely bang on with this point. Galchenyuk and Trouba have excellent chemistry together, whether it's 5-on-5, 5-on-4, any situation really. Gally always manages to find Trouba open, and is the reason for Trouba getting 2-3 quality shots a game.
To be fair, Trouba's goal today was going in whether he touched it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...91596&catid=-6

Last edited by overlords: 12-31-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
To be fair, Trouba's goal today was going in whether he touched it or not.
Yeah, it would have been Kuraly's goal if Trouba was there a second later.

Not really talking about the goals itself, but just the chances in general. We see it in Sarnia all the time, especially on the PP, when Galchenyuk looks for Basso to open up for a point shot. If not, he circles around the face-off circle and releases his wrist shot. Haven't seen it much this tournament, but if there's a chance for him to shoot, he will.

Closed Thread