Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 08:43 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
* Jordan Greenway (shattucks) If he comes to the OHL. I know that Notre Dame is going after him hard. He is currently un-committed. VERY FEW, teams will pass on this guy. If Greenway comes to the OHL and is open to go anywhere, than he is going as early as #2 and wont be there at #5. 6-5 has a nasty mean streak and uses his size, hard shot, excellent playmaking skills, great skater. Unchallenged at his current level.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
checkmate3

Can tell you that either 1 or 2 (which will probably be D spots) Day and Werenski, are almost a lock! Spencer, another D, would be 3 Dmen for the top 3 spots. I never mentioned Henley! Unless there is some biasness towards Spencer, he wont be 3rd overall! Konecny, a forward, stands a better chance, if Erie ends up with that pick, with McDavid..not Spencer. As for Henley by the way, the rumour is a toss up between him and Werenski as they are both Americans, both D, and play roughly the same style. The only exception, an advantage to Werenski, he's taller and has the massiveness compared to Henley and Spencer as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Fair enough. Who is this better #3 pick? Dont put Konecny there because your just moving my names around and avoiding the missing name. #5 can be argued 100%. I could make a case with 3-4-5 names at the #5 spot. Henley is not going #3 by the way.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:06 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
* Jordan Greenway (shattucks) If he comes to the OHL. I know that Notre Dame is going after him hard. He is currently un-committed. VERY FEW, teams will pass on this guy. If Greenway comes to the OHL and is open to go anywhere, than he is going as early as #2 and wont be there at #5. 6-5 has a nasty mean streak and uses his size, hard shot, excellent playmaking skills, great skater. Unchallenged at his current level.
Very interesting, Greenway is from Potsdam,N.Y. so Ottawa and Kingston are only about an hour away. He would also have Clarkson and SLU for local NCAA options.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Can tell you that either 1 or 2 (which will probably be D spots) Day and Werenski, are almost a lock! Spencer, another D, would be 3 Dmen for the top 3 spots. I never mentioned Henley! Unless there is some biasness towards Spencer, he wont be 3rd overall! Konecny, a forward, stands a better chance, if Erie ends up with that pick, with McDavid..not Spencer. As for Henley by the way, the rumour is a toss up between him and Werenski as they are both Americans, both D, and play roughly the same style. The only exception, an advantage to Werenski, he's taller and has the massiveness compared to Henley and Spencer as well.
**If Greenway is willing to go to Erie at #3, how could they pass on Greenway? Greenway/Mcdavid has lethal potential written on it. Konecny and MCdavid are not a good match at all. Yes I said it, they are not a match. Why do i say that? They play too much alike. Mcdavid flourishes with a big power forward who love to forecheck, can snipe pucks, exactly like Sam Bennett is. Erie also needs a top end Defenseman so It could go either way, but its hard not to like a skilled big man, who is not soft.

Whats the rumour? Henley going #2? Not happening. Henley is a first rounder and an amazing prospect, Spencer is pretty much the best defenseman in Ontario right now. His skating and top end speed is absolutely incredible, not to mention his stick handling skills. That will translate right away in the OHL. He could produce in the OHL right now.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-30-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 10:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
**If Greenway is willing to go to Erie at #3, how could they pass on Greenway? Greenway/Mcdavid has lethal potential written on it. Konecny and MCdavid are not a good match at all. Yes I said it, they are not a match. Why do i say that? They play too much alike. Mcdavid flourishes with a big power forward who love to forecheck, can snipe pucks, exactly like Sam Bennett is. Erie also needs a top end Defenseman so It could go either way, but its hard not to like a skilled big man, who is not soft.

Whats the rumour? Henley going #2? Not happening. Henley is a first rounder and an amazing prospect, Spencer is pretty much the best defenseman in Ontario right now. His skating and top end speed is absolutely incredible, not to mention his stick handling skills. That will translate right away in the OHL. He could produce in the OHL right now.
Very well said Mapleleaf.

As I have said, I havent seen Werenski or Greenway live, and thus cannot compare to Ontario prospects or even Sean Day. To me, Spencer is the real deal. I called it last year with Mckeown going second, and to me Spencer is better at this point then Mckeown was.

So, if we have Day, Werenski, Greenway and Spencer going all to the OHL, thats 4 franchise dmen in one draft. They should go in the top 5. Not to mention Henley (top 10), and MacArthur (first round), this year's draft can be better than the 94's in regards to dmen.

That would mean that Konecny and Korostolev would fall to latter half of top 10. WOW.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
checkmate3

You must not be as familiar with Greenway as you think. Him and McDavid?? Not exactly the combo Erie would put together. Konecny and McDavid for sure. As for a comparison between Bennett and Greenway..not even close which if you knew Greenway, you would not have made that analogy. Also, Spencer is by far a good D, but there's better as in Lizotte. Has all the qualities that the teams look for besides the fact that his brother is already playing in the O. Spencer needs improving on decision making and passing the puck forward versus rushing it at every opportunity which he wwill not be doing once in the O. Werenski is the only D capable of playing in the O right now, however, Lizotte and Henley all show similarities in their style of play. Reading the play is key for these teams which Henley and Werenski as well as Lizotte do superbly. Again, Spencer will not be a 3rd overall pick. I appreciate your opinion as I'm sure you value mine and all will be revealed come April2013. But Spencer a #3 pick, forget it and Henley has just been rumoured to be on the same train as Werenski. Werenski has the size over Spencer and Henley.
Quote:

Old
12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
You must not be as familiar with Greenway as you think. Him and McDavid?? Not exactly the combo Erie would put together. Konecny and McDavid for sure. As for a comparison between Bennett and Greenway..not even close which if you knew Greenway, you would not have made that analogy. Also, Spencer is by far a good D, but there's better as in Lizotte. Has all the qualities that the teams look for besides the fact that his brother is already playing in the O. Spencer needs improving on decision making and passing the puck forward versus rushing it at every opportunity which he wwill not be doing once in the O. Werenski is the only D capable of playing in the O right now, however, Lizotte and Henley all show similarities in their style of play. Reading the play is key for these teams which Henley and Werenski as well as Lizotte do superbly. Again, Spencer will not be a 3rd overall pick. I appreciate your opinion as I'm sure you value mine and all will be revealed come April2013. But Spencer a #3 pick, forget it and Henley has just been rumoured to be on the same train as Werenski. Werenski has the size over Spencer and Henley.
I like Lizotte, but he needs alot of coaching and is nowhere close to the top 5 in the draft. As I mentioned before, he was school'd twice in the same period by inferior forwards behind the net, that led to goals. He is not calm out there and seems like he is always scrambling.

Henley has the speed, vision and size, to be a star, and I agree he should be a top 10 pick.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Very well said Mapleleaf.

As I have said, I havent seen Werenski or Greenway live, and thus cannot compare to Ontario prospects or even Sean Day. To me, Spencer is the real deal. I called it last year with Mckeown going second, and to me Spencer is better at this point then Mckeown was.

So, if we have Day, Werenski, Greenway and Spencer going all to the OHL, thats 4 franchise dmen in one draft. They should go in the top 5. Not to mention Henley (top 10), and MacArthur (first round), this year's draft can be better than the 94's in regards to dmen.

That would mean that Konecny and Korostolev would fall to latter half of top 10. WOW.
Greenway is a forward.

12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Greenway is a forward.
Thanks Billy.

Havent seen or heard much about St. Mary's this year.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
checkmate3

Agreed Chewer. Lizotte panics behind the net, he does scramble but just needs to be reassured of his potential. His aggressiveness is his attribute. His brother on Niagara plays similar as well. Do believe you are correct about Henley, has all the qualities for top 10 for sure.
Quote:
I like Lizotte, but he needs alot of coaching and is nowhere close to the top 5 in the draft. As I mentioned before, he was school'd twice in the same period by inferior forwards behind the net, that led to goals. He is not calm out there and seems like he is always scrambling.

Henley has the speed, vision and size, to be a star, and I agree he should be a top 10 pick.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Agreed Chewer. Lizotte panics behind the net, he does scramble but just needs to be reassured of his potential. His aggressiveness is his attribute. His brother on Niagara plays similar as well. Do believe you are correct about Henley, has all the qualities for top 10 for sure.
In all do fairness to the kid, it could also be that he plays on an avg team at best, and is the Go To guy. The whole team's weight is on his shoulders.

Spencer and Henley have each other to rely on, plus Burns and Capobianco. Alot easier for these dmen to be calmer than Lizotte. He has alot of upside and in the proper environment, he can be a top 2 dman in 2 years.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
checkmate3

Yes, Greenway is a forward Chewer, hence why I stand by Spencer not going 3rd. The top 3 to 4 spots are not all going to be Dmen with the likes of Konecny and Strome (just the name alone will give him a top 5 spot). Most likely a forward between #1 and #4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Greenway is a forward.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
checkmate3

Absolutely agree with you!
Quote:
In all do fairness to the kid, it could also be that he plays on an avg team at best, and is the Go To guy. The whole team's weight is on his shoulders.

Spencer and Henley have each other to rely on, plus Burns and Capobianco. Alot easier for these dmen to be calmer than Lizotte. He has alot of upside and in the proper environment, he can be a top 2 dman in 2 years.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Yes, Greenway is a forward Chewer, hence why I stand by Spencer not going 3rd. The top 3 to 4 spots are not all going to be Dmen with the likes of Konecny and Strome (just the name alone will give him a top 5 spot). Most likely a forward between #1 and #4.
I think the next 2-3 months will sure be very interesting, as there will be players moving up, and some moving down, and some entering the picture (Day , Werenski, Greenway).

Last year we knew the top 10 players, it was just a matter of placing them. This year, we dont even know who half the participants are.

Top 15 without US players (Day, Werenski, Greenway)

1) Spencer
2) Korostolev
3) Konecny
4) Mackenzie
5) Crousse
6) Henley
7) Speers
8) Strome
9) MacArthur
10) Petawabano
11) Stephens
12) Lizotte
13) Nott
14) Szypula
15) Marner (sleeper)

Taking chance this early on, so be nice on me guys.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Paperking

Quote:
I think the next 2-3 months will sure be very interesting, as there will be players moving up, and some moving down, and some entering the picture (Day , Werenski, Greenway).

Last year we knew the top 10 players, it was just a matter of placing them. This year, we dont even know who half the participants are.

1) Spencer
2) Korostolev
3) Konecny
4) Mackenzie
5) Crousse
6) Henley
7) Speers
8) Strome
9) MacArthur
10) Petawabano
11) Stephens
12) Lizotte
13) Nott
14) Szypula
15) Marner (sleeper)

I have to agree with your selection but I have the Russian before Spencer.

Lizotte, I have him 14 spot and Szypula 11

Has anybody got any information on the Northern team from Thunder Bay any players in the top three round If not then where?

Old
12-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

1) Spencer
2) Korostolev
3) Konecny
4) Mackenzie
5) Crousse
6) Henley
7) Speers
8) Strome
9) MacArthur
10) Petawabano
11) Stephens
12) Lizotte
13) Nott
14) Szypula
15) Marner (sleeper)

Can't see Strome or Stephens going that late. Your sleeper might still be in bed. That ain't happening at #15.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Is Ottawa Valley the best team in Ontario amongst the 98s?
The Marlies and Jr. Canadians are considered the two best '98 teams by a considerable margin. Ottawa Valley is considered a step behind the aforementioned 2.

Did anyone see the Moscow Selects/Ottawa Valley game? I had to do a double take when I checked that Ottawa Valley won 2-1, and then I figured they must have put the score on the website up incorrectly. Congratulations to Ottawa Valley! That Moscow team was the strongest Bantam team I have ever seen. Massive notch in the belt to beat them. The way the Moscow Selects steam rolled the Marlies, they looked like a Minor Midget team toying with a Bantam team. Hopefully someone on here could report how that semi went, as Moscow looked unstoppable on Saturday night, and am very curious just how that game played out. Thanks.

Congratulations to the Minor Bantam Young Nats, Bantam Honeybaked, and York Simcoe Minor Midgets.

This must be the first time in quite a while that the Marlies didn't have at least one team in the Final.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
U dont think I know Greenway? fair enough, I dont think u know Henley. Greenway and Bennett are not the same player, i never said they were. MY point is Mcdavid flourishes with a physical skilled guy. No arguements there. I never said there were the same. Greenway could play that style of game, Greenway can be a presence physically in the OHL. 6-5 209 pounds with skill. I bet OHL teams will want him to use his size a bit more, but Greenway is a playmaking/power forward who can shoot the puck. He could be many different things depending on what is asked of him. Konecny and Mcdavid are not a a match in my opinion. They both flourish with the puck on there stick and there is only one puck. Hosang and Mcdavid didnt match very well last year because of these same reasons. Guys like Lindo and Bennett were perfect for Mcdavid. I dont think people realize how small Konecny is. Last year on Shattucks, Nathan Noel was a star and still is on the U18 team but many thought that only Greenway could touch this kids upside, myself included. He has a ton of more growth and upside than what u see now. This upside is an advantage over Konecny.

Konecny as fantastic as he is, There is not alot of growth left in his game from my eyes. He is now what he will be in 3-4 years, hopefully he gains weight, which to me probably the most important thing for him to do this summer and in the future, all the skill, but physically right now Konency is over-matched. He is very small, 5-8.5 and 145 max. In the OHL, Konecny I believe could pick teams apart on the PP right now. Playing 5 on 5 , playing the cycle game to create opportunites or playing dump and chase, Konecny in my view will struggle.

If STrome like u suggest goes in the TOP 5, Ill fall off my chair. I dont see that at all. #6-10 yes.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-31-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

1) Spencer
2) Korostolev
3) Konecny
4) Mackenzie
5) Crousse
6) Henley
7) Speers
8) Strome
9) MacArthur
10) Petawabano
11) Stephens
12) Lizotte
13) Nott
14) Szypula
15) Marner (sleeper)

Where is Luke Kirwan ? (Islanders Hockey CLub). If he is coming than u can bump all the non-physical, inconsistent players down a spot. Kirwan, Top 10 pick in this draft, no doubt. Ontario doesnt have alot of talent this year. After Round 4-5 in this 2013 OHL draft, None of these kids will be able to play OJHL or similar level next year. There are going to be many Americans in the Top 10 this year if they all come here and being uncommitted this late, there is a good chance.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:24 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Can't see Strome or Stephens going that late. Your sleeper might still be in bed. That ain't happening at #15.
100 % agreed on MArner not going #15. Marner doesnt get in the first round. Mid to late second possibly, he should go in the 3rd round. Last year Marner would have been a fourth rounder. He is 5-6 125. I hate pointing out size becuase its out of the players hands, but it is what it is.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
mapleleaf979

Why did York Simcoe win the Marlies Classic? They play a super physical game and beat teams up. There forwards are big. #84 Knott impressed the heck out of me, he is rarely mentioned. This kid leaves everything on the ice, he is a leader the way he plays. His feet are extremely good. This guy is a hockey player, appears to be tough as nails. Barrow and Harding I like too and also #86 Jesse Weimer, this YSE team had hunger. YSE is the most physical team Ive seen this year and one of the biggest forward groups that use there body. Not a ton of high end skill up front, but they wear u down, they take one on one battles very seriously.

Some of the higher rated Ontario players lack desire and its worrisome. U are born with desire and your born with the hate of losing. U can do pep talks by your coach and your team leaders but they are artificial in a sense. The player that hates losing whether its a card game, scrabble, mini-putt, etc. has an edge over everyone. Will power/compete level is so darn important. Id take a lesser skilled guy that loves hockey and gives up his body physically everynight because passion, willpower and competitive fire, fuel him. U have a few highly skilled guys that dont give effort all over the place. This is not good for a team atmosphere.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
wingman22

Quote:

1) Spencer
2) Korostolev
3) Konecny
4) Mackenzie
5) Crousse
6) Henley
7) Speers
8) Strome
9) MacArthur
10) Petawabano
11) Stephens
12) Lizotte
13) Nott
14) Szypula
15) Marner (sleeper)

Word this weekend is that Day was recently watched in Pennsylvania and had a poor showing. Most likely will not get ES. Denis Yan born in Alaska and has gone back and forth to Russia, he will not get OHL status. The jury still out on Korostolev but it is still considered highly unlikely he will get OHL approval because of residency issues. Didn't help that he went back to Russia to recoup from injury.
Crouse ahead of Mackenzie. Strome and Stephens ahead of Speers.
Crouse maybe a better pick then Konecney. Strome best player inside the blue line. Stephens never a liability when on the ice. Plays behind the puck probably to much.
First year OHL players only get ice time if they contribute or they are not a liability.
Marner will be a late 2nd round pick as a possible investment.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Word this weekend is that Day was recently watched in Pennsylvania and had a poor showing. Most likely will not get ES. Denis Yan born in Alaska and has gone back and forth to Russia, he will not get OHL status. The jury still out on Korostolev but it is still considered highly unlikely he will get OHL approval because of residency issues. Didn't help that he went back to Russia to recoup from injury.
Crouse ahead of Mackenzie. Strome and Stephens ahead of Speers.
Crouse maybe a better pick then Konecney. Strome best player inside the blue line. Stephens never a liability when on the ice. Plays behind the puck probably to much.

First year OHL players only get ice time if they contribute or they are not a liability.
Marner will be a late 2nd round pick as a possible investment.
Fantastic post !! I think the same thing about Crouse for the last month or so being a better prospect in the long run over Konecny. Its still something Im asking myself. I did point out what my worry's are about Konecny above. The Strome point inside the Offensive zone I cant argue with u there at all. Excellent decisions by Strome. Stephens also I agree with u, He is putting a huge emphasis on the defensive side and its taking away his most noticeable offensive attributes. Ive asked myself, is this him or the system he is dedicated too? I still have issues with his compete level. The Korostelev going back to Russia for 4 weeks doesnt look good, I agree. I still think Day gets ES. One poor showing shouldnt hurt him. If he doesnt get ES, he probably will play U18 and maybe even turn his back on the OHL and Team Canada. I think Hockey Canada wants him now to eliminate this risk. Sean Day looks completely bored out of his mind. Like he is playing with minor bantam kids. Ive heard Yan is going to play US NTDP next year. Yan would have been the best pure sniper in this draft ahead of Korostelev.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
checkmate3

Marner - not at #15 agreed. Forgot all about Kirwan, which by the way has played with Henley several times, adds total different outlook on your assessment of pick..100%! Kirwan, bigger than all named above actually, and is as massive if not more than Werenski, is for sure top 5 pick for a forward! He will continue to grow as well probably due to not only to genetics but a bone condition. Another reason why Spencer, as good as you may feel he is, will not be 3rd. Now you have Kirwan to consider as a matchup with McDavid. Greenway (which this convo was a topic at breakfast this morning amongst my boys who played with Greenway and found your match up with McDavid hilarious) will maybe go top 10 but that would primarily be for size..thats about it my friend. As for Henley, if you knew him as well as you may think, you would have been made aware of his talent and skill from years ago and the progress he just keeps attaining. In Canada, the Henley kid you're just learning about, in the States, he's a household name that is ranked and has been with Noah Hanifin and Werenski for years. There is not too many Hockey knowledgable people that are unfamiliar with Henley. Also, in case you are just learning of him, Henley has played with the 97 Birthyear..1 year. he has played with the 96 class from day 1. And has played against Canadians McDavid; Lindo; Addesi; Bennett and all of last years OHL 96 draft picks. Henley has also played with or against the 95s already in the O. Hence he has some experience playing agains your top guys from years ago and knows some of their style types. Henley actually plays down to the 97 level which hinders his ability to display his full potential, which is what you have been seeing. This was my reason for telling you that you are unfamiliar with both Henley and Greenway. Henley is pretty much classified as a 96 per say in the States, from having only playing with his age class 1 year. The players he's associated with were drafted last year and a few from the year before. Henley would be on the same train as Werenski because they've played one another for years as has Kirwan. But will agree with you on Marner 100%.
Quote:
100 % agreed on MArner not going #15. Marner doesnt get in the first round. Mid to late second possibly, he should go in the 3rd round. Last year Marner would have been a fourth rounder. He is 5-6 125. I hate pointing out size becuase its out of the players hands, but it is what it is.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
checkmate3

Also just remembered, he played against current Kitchner Ranger and NHL draft pick Justin Bailey. The Henley kid definately has the experience of playing against some top names besides the 97 class, all of which is important in the draft. This simply means the compete level is there.

Closed Thread