HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

vCash: 500
Seth Jones, imo, has been pretty damn imnpressive from what I have seen of him. Big, strong kid who, imo, is the first pick overall.

I have been unimpressed with Yak, see that even at the WJC, teams have started to focus on him and now I cant wait to see whats in store for him at the NHL level.

Oilers should have traded out of that pick and got some defenseman. I dont think the futures gonna be good for one Yakupov, but thats just me.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:08 PM
YesYesYall

Huberdeau has been disappointing, but not every player picked third overall is going to be a bona fide stud.
As an Oilers' fan, it hurts to say that Yakupov has been extremely disappointing. His decision making is questionable, but he will be a great player.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Canada4Gold

Hamilton, he's played worse than I expected

Yakupov

Grimaldi

Karlsson

These Guys

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
True but to be fair, he seems to be doing just fine in the KHL. These tournaments are such a small sample size, people tend to react way to harshly based on how a player does in a single tournament.

I still remember how Kessel and Frolik were locks for 1&2 after one tournament according to HFboards. Good times
This. A lot of people are seeing some of these players for the 1st time and make their judgements based off of how they do in this tourney. Some guys never really find chemistry or struggle for whatever reason. Then some guys find chemistry and have a good tourney. It's pretty funny to see the overreaction on both ends. Look at Jerry D'Amigo from a couple of years ago. That guy went from a decent prospect to Toronto's 1st line rw in 2 weeks.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Korpisalo

Sub .85 goaltending for a finnish goalie is a disgrace
Didn't see Switzerland-Finland huh?

SCBdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Ryan Murphy is the only canadian defenceman without points so far.

Guy that was picked because of his point production ability.
So true. And when you consider the ice time he is getting you have to wonder if Spott is thinking with his heart a little more than with his head.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Canada4Gold

I would have picked Murphy, but he's pretty much what I expected, that is Canada's worse defenceman but a wide margin

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Ryan Murphy is the only canadian defenceman without points so far.

Guy that was picked because of his point production ability.
Holy crap, that's crazy!
With the amount of powerplay and even strength time that guy gets, you'd have to think he'd have accidentally gotten a point by now.

I admit, I like to see Murphy's rushes with the puck, but that's pretty much his only trick. I'd say he's played like the 7th D-Man on Team Canada, though his icetime suggests otherwise.

I wouldn't call Murphy a disappointment either, because I didn't expect anything from him in the first place.

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
kp61c

yakupov, grigorenko... they arent even remotly close to all that hype thats been going on here.
i dont agree with jones evaluation, we have something special here. exceptional player.

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:26 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Seth Jones, imo, has been pretty damn imnpressive from what I have seen of him. Big, strong kid who, imo, is the first pick overall.

He didn't look that good against Canada. If I'm drafting a D 1st overall he better be able to clear the front of the net. The Canadian forwards consistently beat him to the front of the net and went where they wanted to. He didn't look very hard to play against in his own end and he seemed to chase the puck a lot, both Canadian goals were due to him being out of position.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Slick Eller

Grigorenko and Yakupov.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
SprDaVE

Hamilton, Barkov, Yakupov and Jones have not played up to their potentials at all. All were expected to be go to guys for their teams but they all have pretty much fell short.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
People are disappointed in Scheifele? By my reckoning he's been Canada's second best forward.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
CZechSenator
#15 Jan Marek R.I.P.

For the Czechs definitely Faksa. Musil probably should be better as well.

CZechSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Hamilton, Barkov, Yakupov and Jones have not played up to their potentials at all. All were expected to be go to guys for their teams but they all have pretty much fell short.
To be fair to at least Barkov and Jones, they have been sound defensively, good along the boards and add to that Barkov has been very effective on the face-off dot. Yakupov isn't being used effectively in Russia's gameplan. Of Hamilton I haven't been able to construct a clear picture, propably he has his good aspects to his game also. All things can't be seen from the stats, and in Barkov's and Jones' case they also have a couple of years to develop. It's not like it's usual for 17 year olds to carry their teams.

Barkov was also the best center for Finland in the tournament. Can't say he was the best player but the best center no doubt.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
yakupov, grigorenko... they arent even remotly close to all that hype thats been going on here.
i dont agree with jones evaluation, we have something special here. exceptional player.
agreed on Jones. At his age, the flashes he's shown have been outstanding. He's by no means a complete player yet, he oozes upside, nowhere close to the player he can become. I suspect he'll be the best player of anyone we've seen in this tournament by the time he's 24-25 outside MAYBE RNH (who has been simply outstanding)

Yakupov has looked terrible. I'm shocked by this.

Grigorenko has a reputation of not playing well when it matters, against tougher competition. This is one of the reasons why he fell at the draft. Hopefully, for his sake, he can overcome this as he matures.

D. Hamilton hasn't had a great tournament, I expected more from him and Rielly but they haven't been awful either.

Huberdeau's not been good.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Martin Reway and Tomas Mikus. Although I wish he would have got the chance to play with Dano on the first line.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Leizi

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Armia and Barkov

Leizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
jedimyrmidon

Based on this tournament only:

CAN: Huberdeau can be a lot better; he's trying to be too fancy. Ryan Murphy.
US: Grimaldi, Gaudreau, Miller; Kuraly, Barber (not that they were supposed to be great, but they're weighing Gally down ; at this point in his development, Gally can't make them better to the point where they can compete with the world's best juniors)
RUS: Yakupov

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Duffman955

Ryan Murphy has been absolute trash. How do you get 0 points playing on team Canada's pp all the time?

Huberdeau hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be.

Galchenyuk has been unimpressive.

Team Russia and Finland have been disappointing overall.

Duffman955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
People are disappointed in Scheifele? By my reckoning he's been Canada's second best forward.
Ya, he's been fine. Playing a different position, but putting up some points for TC and 2 gwg, to date. I'm not sure we could expect much more out of him, tbh.

I like how Strome and Drouin have played, as well, so i'm not placing Scheifele as near the top of the forward list, but he's ahead of most, imo.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4vK View Post
Yakupov for me. Galchenyuk have been a little bit underwhelming IMO, I expected him to scored 2g-2a each game
He's being targeted by defenders I'm sure. He's arguably the best forward they have, and undoubtedly will be in the future.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
TieClark

Dougie Hamilton for sure. He's supposed to be the best defenceman on the team and yet he's been bottom 3 every game so far with Murphy and Reinhart.

Yakupov hasn't done a thing really to warrant the hype he has and he couldn't do anything against Canada in the biggest game yet for the Ruskies.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Also I don't know what the expectations were for him, but JT Miller sucks. I'm putting him here since he was penciled in as one of the top 2 centres for the US.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Galchenyuk has been unimpressive.
()

Being second in the tournament in points while being unimpressive is pretty impressive for a 2012 drafted forward getting 15min of icetime (probably much less in the Svk game) and playing with the likes of Kuraly at center, heheh.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote