HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene's lockout adventure in Europe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  #401
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,678
vCash: 500
Wow! What a game by Duchene!

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:57 AM
  #402
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
The final game at the Spangler Cup is about to start in a couple of minutes, those who can't watch it on TSN can catch it using the link below:

http://www.streamhunter.eu/hockey-li...ing-video.html

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:36 AM
  #403
SwissAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Duchene is playing left wing because Byron Ritchie is suspended for the final

SwissAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:47 AM
  #404
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Dutch looked good on the PK, he plays the passing lanes really well and he was close to having a breakaway two times, because of a good play on the puck. I'd like to see Canada play a more agressive system on the PK given the fact that Davos is playing their 5th game in 5 days, I could see Duchene wrecking havoc on Davos's pointmen.

PS

I can't figure out why Gagner got to play with Spezza and Tavares.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:51 AM
  #405
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Dutch has been quiet thus far offensively, but he did a good job playing on the 1st PK unit for Team Canada, all in all a decent game by him.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
  #406
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Complete all-star team of the tournament :

Goalie: Dennis Endras (Adler Mannheim)

Defensman: Dennis Seidenberg (Adler Mannheim) and Santeri Alatalo (HC Davos)

Center: Matt Duchene (Team Canada)

Left winger: Julien Sprunger (Fribourg-Gottéron)

Right winger: Patrick Kane (HC Davos)

Duchene selected as the best center, he was good and all, but Tavares and Bergeron were better IMHO, so this is a bit of a surprise.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
  #407
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Complete all-star team of the tournament :

Goalie: Dennis Endras (Adler Mannheim)

Defensman: Dennis Seidenberg (Adler Mannheim) and Santeri Alatalo (HC Davos)

Center: Matt Duchene (Team Canada)

Left winger: Julien Sprunger (Fribourg-Gottéron)

Right winger: Patrick Kane (HC Davos)

Duchene selected as the best center, he was good and all, but Tavares and Bergeron were better IMHO, so this is a bit of a surprise.
Duchene stood out in every game he played, the other two did not.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
  #408
Ceremony
Moderator
Unravelled
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 75,776
vCash: 1599


What were his stats for the tournament?

__________________
“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny. And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:56 PM
  #409
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post


What were his stats for the tournament?
2G 3A 5P in 4GP.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
  #410
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Duchene stood out in every game he played, the other two did not.
Yup. He looked good out there.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:28 AM
  #411
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Duchene stood out in every game he played, the other two did not.
He stood out during the first game of the tournament? He was completely invisible out there and his offensive game in the finals wasn't anything special.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
  #412
AvalancheFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He stood out during the first game of the tournament? He was completely invisible out there and his offensive game in the finals wasn't anything special.

For sure he did. I remember numerous times the announcers were praising his speed and his ability to utilize it. He broke out on a couple rushes and made a couple good passes that led to scoring opportunities. Also, I remember him working really hard down low in the corners that game (all the games I watched for that matter) and winning puck battles. He used his body to get and protect the puck well. I think it's debatable to who could have got MVP, but the fact is Duchene worked hard all tournament, had 5 points and 4 games and made his presence on the ice known every shift. And that's 5 points with little to no power play time I believe?. Looked good on the PK too.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:08 PM
  #413
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
For sure he did. I remember numerous times the announcers were praising his speed and his ability to utilize it. He broke out on a couple rushes and made a couple good passes that led to scoring opportunities. Also, I remember him working really hard down low in the corners that game (all the games I watched for that matter) and winning puck battles. He used his body to get and protect the puck well. I think it's debatable to who could have got MVP, but the fact is Duchene worked hard all tournament, had 5 points and 4 games and made his presence on the ice known every shift. And that's 5 points with little to no power play time I believe?. Looked good on the PK too.
Duchene stood out in the first game? Troughout the entire game the announcers mentioned him only once and that was when he had two nice hits in the 3rd period. He picked up his game after that and he was a real threat in later games, but his first game was at best average in whole (when talking about both defense and offense) and certainly below average when talking solely about the offensive part of his game.

His defensive game when looking at the whole tournament was outstanding and it was clear he made big strides in that part of his game, but his offensive game was still hot and cold, he had his moments of brilliance and complete domination (SF game) and he had a couple of games where he wasn't at the top of his game (1st game against Mannheim and the finals) offensively. Now if he shows the same level of defensive awarbess when he comes back coupled with a bit more consistency in the offensive department we could talk about having a pretty darn good two-way player who can decide a game at any given moment. He has the potential to become a player like that, now it just remains to be seen if and when he'll get there.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:18 PM
  #414
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He stood out during the first game of the tournament? He was completely invisible out there and his offensive game in the finals wasn't anything special.
um what? He was clearly the best player in that game.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
  #415
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
um what? He was clearly the best player in that game.
You're joking right? Tavares, Seguin, Bergeron and Spezza were all much better, hell even Sam freaking Gagner looked better than Matt in that game.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
  #416
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You're joking right? Tavares, Seguin, Bergeron and Spezza were all much better, hell even Sam freaking Gagner looked better than Matt in that game.
Yeah all those guys were playing TOGETHER while Duchene was stuck on the 4th line with a has been NHLer and McFlashlight whoever the hell that is. You need to rewatch that game if you think Sam 'abysmal' Gagner was better than him. It was the first game of Duchene's I had seen in a while but was very encouraged by the way he was playing out there.

I thought he made the most of his 4th line opportunity all the while showing moron coach Shedden who he was because apparently, he had no idea.

It's easy to say the other guys looked better, especially in that first game, none of them had the disadvantage of playing with lesser players the way Duchene did. He played VERY WELL despite not getting any PP time...you can't really pin that on him.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
  #417
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
I'm not pinning anything against him, he had to work his butt of to get more chances with the coach. And I for one am glad that he continued to push himself instead of moping around acting like he's too good for being treated like that. He showed a great deal of character by doing so and I'm really happy because of it.

Me being critical of his performance comes from the fact that I think he can do better given his natural talents, I may be too harsh on him at times, but that's just me.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:41 PM
  #418
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'm not pinning anything against him, he had to work his butt of to get more chances with the coach. And I for one am glad that he continued to push himself instead of moping around acting like he's too good for being treated like that. He showed a great deal of character by doing so and I'm really happy because of it.

Me being critical of his performance comes from the fact that I think he can do better given his natural talents, I may be too harsh on him at times, but that's just me.
I agree and I tend to do that at times as well. For me, not really knowing what to expect, when I saw the lineup against Mannheim that 1st game, I was shaking my head at seeing Duchene on the 4th line. Seemed like a bit of an insult to me but like you said, he took it the right way and worked hard, which is pretty much the attitude that every Avs fan wants to see with this player and it speaks to his character and maturity. (he's still got a ways to go but he's getting there)

Just from his overall gameplay, from the first game to the semi-finals (haven't watched the final game yet) I was just thrilled that he seems to be back on track to where he's supposed to be. He's using his linemates and actually making them better, he's using his 'spins' only when needed to get away from opponents or creating chances for himself or teammates but not overusing them and constantly turning the puck over like last season, he's putting forth a very noticeable 2nd effort when digging for loose pucks and putting a more consistent effort defensively which is something that was lacking at times last season.

I'm very pleased with what I saw from him overall in this tournament, not just the points he put up but everything else as well. Way to go, Matt!

Oh...almost forgot...FACEOFFS!!! He was EXCELLENT on faceoffs throughout that tournament.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:16 PM
  #419
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
He's using his linemates and actually making them better, he's using his 'spins' only when needed to get away from opponents or creating chances for himself or teammates but not overusing them and constantly turning the puck over like last season, he's putting forth a very noticeable 2nd effort when digging for loose pucks and putting a more consistent effort defensively which is something that was lacking at times last season.

[...]

Oh...almost forgot...FACEOFFS!!! He was EXCELLENT on faceoffs throughout that tournament.
All of this is good news. Maybe it's incidental to the lockout or the international exposure has expanded his game, but if he's playing a more decisive (and smart) game while showing the defensive pressure of his rookie season then I'm looking forward to hockey returning eventually. The faceoffs shouldn't be a surprise though, that's one element of his game that he has consistently improved upon in his pro-hockey career.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
  #420
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You're joking right? Tavares, Seguin, Bergeron and Spezza were all much better, hell even Sam freaking Gagner looked better than Matt in that game.
No, those guys all played terrible that game and for most of the games as well.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:50 AM
  #421
SwissAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
So, I'm off to watch Ambri-Davos, 2h drive. Hope Duchene has a good game. *psyched*

SwissAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
  #422
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Duchene is set to re-sign with Frölunda, should the NHL season be cancelled. Lundqvist and Karlsson would join him. Eriksson is another possibility, if he has an out in his deal with Davos.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-valkomna-hit/

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  #423
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
For some reason I was under the impression Duchy signed for the rest of the season with Davos...

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  #424
Drizzt1
Registered User
 
Drizzt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Wow, all these young kids in Europe, Russia & co. displaced from their teams because the NHL players are rolling over, and probably the capacity to earn money for their families due to the lockout.

I really feel bad for them.

People tend to forget these guys. I really don't feel bad for NHL'ers that go Overseas and "take a discount" to play.

In my opinion, there is a cost to that.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
  #425
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
For some reason I was under the impression Duchy signed for the rest of the season with Davos...
Ambri?

Can't see either side letting the season get cancelled. At this point, owners would take players last offer rather than cancel the season, in my opinion. There will be a season.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.