HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Rookie of the Year

View Poll Results: Who wins Rookie of the Year?
Andrew Luck 20 21.74%
Robert Griffin III 44 47.83%
Russell Wilson 24 26.09%
Doug Martin 0 0%
Alfred Morris 3 3.26%
Other 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

vCash: 500
Rookie of the Year

Who do you think it goes to?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I can't decide. It's too difficult.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM
sniugneP

Great year for rookies. I'm picking Russell Wilson. No one really expected him to be starter right away and leads Seattle to surprising 11-5 season.

We knew RG3 and Luck would do well in NFL.

sniugneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

I'm going with RGIII.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
1. RGIII
2. Wilson
3. Morris

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

1) RG3
2) Wilson
3) Morris

Luck shouldn't even be in the discussion, IMO.

Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Nazem Bozak

am I the only one who doesnt get the RG3 hype...? his team didn't rely on him as much as colts relied on luck... hell I don't it's that much of a reach to say the redskins relied more on Alfred Morris

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Crap. Meant to vote for RG3 but accidentally voted Luck.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
am I the only one who doesnt get the RG3 hype...? his team didn't rely on him as much as colts relied on luck... hell I don't it's that much of a reach to say the redskins relied more on Alfred Morris
I think that you are the only one who doesn't get the "hype". Did you watch the Redskins play this season? No offense to Morris (excellent season), but he was a lot more effective with a healthy (or semi-healthy) Griffin under center.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
I think that you are the only one who doesn't get the "hype". Did you watch the Redskins play this season? No offense to Morris (excellent season), but he was a lot more effective with a healthy (or semi-healthy) Griffin under center.
No like, I know RG3 is good, and will be great one day but like I've seen people saying he deserves MVP... I just feel like alfred morris this year was more valuable then he was.

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

Blair Walsh.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
No like, I know RG3 is good, and will be great one day but like I've seen people saying he deserves MVP... I just feel like alfred morris this year was more valuable then he was.
No offense to Alfred, but as a Redskins fan with the Sunday Ticket, I can assure you that Griffin did more to help Morris than vice versa.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Rgiii.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
timekeep

Toss up between RG3 and Russell Wilson. Voted for Wilson but

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Who's been the best rookie? RGIII.

Who's been the biggest surprise as a rookie? Wilson.

Who's been most valuable to his team? Luck.

RotY doesn't have the same requirements as MVP, but I think that the fact that the Colts would inarguably be out of the playoffs without him while the same could not be said of the Skins or the Seahawks tips in his favor in my books. At the very least, without Luck the Colts would probably have another top five pick while without Griffin or Wilson, the Skins and the Seahawks would be drafting well above the top five.

That's at least my perspective, but I think any of the three have an amazing case for deserving it. And I fully expect RGIII to win it, though I wouldn't vote for him myself.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

RotY doesn't have the same requirements as MVP, but I think that the fact that the Colts would inarguably be out of the playoffs without him while the same could not be said of the Skins or the Seahawks tips in his favor in my books. At the very least, without Luck the Colts would probably have another top five pick while without Griffin or Wilson, the Skins and the Seahawks would be drafting well above the top five.

That's at least my perspective, but I think any of the three have an amazing case for deserving it. And I fully expect RGIII to win it, though I wouldn't vote for him myself.
You make good points, but as a Redskins fan, there is no way this team makes the playoffs without RG3. He won a few games almost completely on his own this season (Minnesota, the first Philly game, New Orleans) that Grossman, Cousins, or a random free-agent signee like Matt Flynn wouldn't have. I think Griffin being in the same backfield as another ROY candidate might cost him some votes, though.

I don't want to take anything away from Wilson, but his team's defense gave him a bit more margin for error. He needed it early in the season, but once he found his game he hasn't needed to rely on the D as much. Washington, on the other hand, has had to out-score everyone since the beginning of the season. I think Wilson's strong second-half play will have as much of an impact on voters than Griffin's season-long production. And who knows, maybe it should. He's been playing his best when his team needed it the most. And who doesn't root for an underdog story? Griffin was expected to be this kind of player. Wilson just came out of nowhere.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. It should be either Griffin or Wilson. I like Andrew Luck but 20+ turnovers just doesn't cut it.

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Skins easily miss the playoffs without RG3.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Maybe, but the point still stands that the Skins almost assuredly would've ended up much higher in the standings than Colts in a universe where RGIII and Luck didn't exist. Not to mention that Luck effectively was playing for a team that got completely dismantled and rebooted.

The Colts leaned a lot more on Luck and asked him to do a lot more than RGIII and Wilson, who both had better teams around them in almost every single category.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Maybe, but the point still stands that the Skins almost assuredly would've ended up much higher in the standings than Colts in a universe where RGIII and Luck didn't exist. Not to mention that Luck effectively was playing for a team that got completely dismantled and rebooted.

The Colts leaned a lot more on Luck and asked him to do a lot more than RGIII and Wilson, who both had better teams around them in almost every single category.
That's a fair argument. It just depends on how you view the criteria for ROY.

I don't think it should be analogous with rookie MVP. I view it simply as the guy who was the most impressive. That's just my opinion, though. The body of work by Griffin and Wilson against decidedly tougher schedules than the Colts played makes them the front-runners IMO.

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Carlson View Post
That's a fair argument. It just depends on how you view the criteria for ROY.

I don't think it should be analogous with rookie MVP. I view it simply as the guy who was the most impressive. That's just my opinion, though. The body of work by Griffin and Wilson against decidedly tougher schedules than the Colts played makes them the front-runners IMO.
Ordinarily, I'd agree.... but this is a very rare year where you have massively relevant arguments for multiple guys. RGIII has been playing out of his mind and has had amazing stats, Luck has been a machine with nothing surrounding him and essentially carrying the entire offense through the good and the bad, and Wilson's been the surprise and draft steal of the year and been essentially as good as anyone.

You can't go wrong with whoever you pick. Same goes for MVP overall, between Manning and Peterson.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Getz2perry

With wilson and griffin teams had to watch out for the run(both have great running backs and the ability to run), the seahawks/redskins didnt have to rely on the pass really at all, and when they were passing they would have defenses that were more focused on containing the run, so got a lot easier coverage to pass into. Not taking anything away from either of them, but to me luck is the obvious choice.

Luck passed a lot more, in a lot harder situations, and didnt have nearly as many weapons as the other 2 guys, i like ballard but hes not on level with morris/lynch. Also take in to consideration he had 7 game winning drives in the 4th quater, he was literally getting the ball in the most pressured situations and taking his team down the field and winning the game. From 1st pick in draft to a possible contender in the AFC. I think its pretty easy choice.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Clowe Me

I really like Russell Wilson, but he has more tools on offense than does RGIII. Wilson gets to hand off to Beast mode and throw the ball to a more talented receiving and te core. Also, Seattle's defense is one of the best in the NFL and much better than Washington's, which is why, IMO, RGIII is more valuable.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

The Colts beat only 3 teams who finished over .500 this year. I'm sorry but is that really that impressive?

Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
The Colts beat only 3 teams who finished over .500 this year. I'm sorry but is that really that impressive?
They were 2-14 last year and finished 11-5 this year. Regardless of their schedule that is an impressive record and amazing turnaround.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
They were 2-14 last year and finished 11-5 this year. Regardless of their schedule that is an impressive record and amazing turnaround.
A great team accomplishment. Luck's qb rating is on par with guys like Sanchez. He's an interception machine with a low completion percentage.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote