HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Even though they are underagers I expected a bit more out of both Barkov and Mackinnon, they have been outplayed by Lindholm and Drouin by quite a margin.

Others who I expected more out of is Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Huberdeau, Hamilton. Not saying they have been bad.. just expected a bit more.

Also Karlsson has been dreadful. I did expect a bit more points out of Forsberg and Rakell aswell, but atleast they are creating things and playing a full game.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Qrispy

I'm going to add Ty Rattie to my list. I expected him to be a little more dynamic offensively. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
MacKinnon's probably never played on the fourth line in his life, so I'd give him a free pass so far. With limited icetime and more defensive linemates, it's kind of difficult to play an offensive/defensive game.

I've might get flamed for this, but I've been expecting to see more from Huberdeau personally. I know he has 7 points in 4 games, but he just hasn't wowed me in a tournament where I expected him to breakout. I thought the 2nd line was the weakest of the 4 lines Canada iced today, and that comes after Huberdeau gets demoted to that line. and agree with you on Yakupov as well.
I've seen Huberdeau a few times now and he's never impressed me.

I want to believe in him, but can't seem to. I've noticed RNH and Scheifle, as well as Drouin and Jenner quite a bit. There are a number of others, that was just off the top of my head that I've liked better than Huberdeau.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Dangles78

Seems like Maatta is dealing with an illness, but that's no excuse for his poor play. He get's my vote.

Not sure how people can say Galchenyuk. He's creating offense, getting open and he's 3rd in scoring. Maybe it's because he's quietly getting things done that makes it look like he's been underwhelming.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

J.T Miller

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Sebastian Collberg. Good play on PP, a lot of luck, but almost non-existent in ES and not active enough, kind of lethargic.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
TheGudge

The Russians just didn't seem to have any effective systems play going. It was just one guy trying to skate through four Candians. Maybe at this level Yakupov needs another good player to work with and try to give him some space, like with Kuznetsov last year.

Sure it's just going to get tougher for him at the NHL level as it should, but he will also have some pretty good players to work with, including the tournament leader in points in RNH, as well as AHL pt leaders Eberle and Schultz. Kid is gonna be fine and will benefit immensely from playing with other elite talent.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
LeMAD

So basically people think that every big name player not named RNH has been a disappointment.

You guys know there can be only one top scorer in the tournament?

Maybe you are overhyping everyone a bit?

Huberdeau and Galchenyuk are tied in 2nd place. Yakupov is Russia's best scorer. Rielly has four points in four games.

The **** was supposed to happen?

Last edited by LeMAD: 12-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

The entire 2012 draft except Trouba, who looks like the only stud in the bunch.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
The entire 2012 draft except Trouba, who looks like the only stud in the bunch.
Rielly has been pretty good when he's played which for some reason isn't very often

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Disappointed of him as well, among many other Finns like Granlund, Lehkonen and Armia.

Seth Jones also hasn't really looked like a possible 1st overall pick so far...
I'd say Granlund has been arguably Finland's best and most consistent player.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Yakupov easily for me. Especially in the game against USA, he just made some terrible decisions. He tries to take on guys 1 on 3 constantly and either loses the puck or takes a weak shot that misses the net by 3 feet. Not the least bit impressed thus far.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:44 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Grimaldi: Has looked selfish, hasn't used his linemates, lacks hockey IQ, and has just been ineffective considering skill level.

Gaudreau: Up until the US game against Slovakia, he hadn't been the BC Gaudreau that I've seen tear up by BU Terriers. He had some chances, but couldn't capitalize. But after seeing the chemistry he has with Miller and Vesey, he will probably be gone from this list soon.

Lindholm & Barkov: Two draft-eligible guys that have played very well in their respective leagues(SEL and SM Liiga) that haven't put up much offense in the tournament. I expected both of them to tear it up and raise their draft stock by getting more exposure in NA, but neither has really seized the opportunity.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Interactif

Since the USA is my second favourite team, Galchenyuk. Like to see him step up in an important game and make a difference.

Grimaldi, Barkov, Yakupov 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
Rielly has been pretty good when he's played which for some reason isn't very often
Nowhere near as good as Trouba.

And today he was Canada's worst defenseman. Of course, you wouldn't hear about it here at the HFRiellyHypeTrainBoards.com

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Nowhere near as good as Trouba.

And today he was Canada's worst defenseman. Of course, you wouldn't hear about it here at the HFRiellyHypeTrainBoards.com
No one on Team Canada's defence played badly, must have been watching a different game. Infact no one on Team Canada I can say had a poor game. Even the Murphy and Hamilton PP back pairing finally resembled a PP combo.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Grimaldi: Has looked selfish, hasn't used his linemates, lacks hockey IQ, and has just been ineffective considering skill level.

Gaudreau: Up until the US game against Slovakia, he hadn't been the BC Gaudreau that I've seen tear up by BU Terriers. He had some chances, but couldn't capitalize. But after seeing the chemistry he has with Miller and Vesey, he will probably be gone from this list soon.

Lindholm & Barkov: Two draft-eligible guys that have played very well in their respective leagues(SEL and SM Liiga) that haven't put up much offense in the tournament. I expected both of them to tear it up and raise their draft stock by getting more exposure in NA, but neither has really seized the opportunity.
Wait a second, Lindholm has been one of the best forwards on team Sweden and been playing just as good as Drouin who by many are considering the biggest surprise of the tournament and you are dissapointed with his performance?

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Barkov was also the best center for Finland in the tournament. Can't say he was the best player but the best center no doubt.
at age of 17 that's well done, still i was waiting way more.. as he is already at FEL 14g 14a in 32 games he should product more than this we've seen.. hope he tears up U-18 tournament

Last edited by behemolari: 12-31-2012 at 03:12 PM.
behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Huberdeau has been good in my view...

Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Hamilton, Murray have all been pretty bad in the games i've seen them in.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
MessierII

Yakupov #1 by a mile. Grandlund hasn't lived up to the hype neither has Dougie Hamilton. Not sure why people expected Huberdeau to be on Nuge's level no one is.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Interactif

Canada rarely loses with Huberdeau in the lineup, he looks fine to me. Played well today that's for sure.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I can't believe all the flak MacKinnon is taking. He's 17 years old, he has 2 more tournaments to play in possibly, and is playing a limited role. Crosby only had 5 points in his first WJHC.
Crosby was a year younger than MacKinnon in his first WJC. These are short tournaments and it really shouldn't have much of an impact on draft position. But there is no question that of potential "first overalls" Canadians, MacKinnon has been probably the most underwhelming in recent years.

In their draft years:
Hall: 6gp 6g 6a 12 points
Tavares: 6gp 8g 7a 15 points (5 points in 7 games first tournament)
Stamkos: 7gp 1g 5a 6 points

But hell, as I said it doesn't really matter all that much. RNH didn't even make the WJC team in his draft year and Stamkos who had the worst tournament of the guys listed here is unarguably the best right now.
MacKinnon has been underwhelming though. Just has not accomplished much. 4th line or not. Doesn't mean he wont be an elite player though.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Crosby was a year younger than MacKinnon in his first WJC. These are short tournaments and it really shouldn't have much of an impact on draft position. But there is no question that of potential "first overalls" Canadians, MacKinnon has been probably the most underwhelming in recent years.

In their draft years:
Hall: 6gp 6g 6a 12 points
Tavares: 6gp 8g 7a 15 points (5 points in 7 games first tournament)
Stamkos: 7gp 1g 5a 6 points

But hell, as I said it doesn't really matter all that much. RNH didn't even make the WJC team in his draft year and Stamkos who had the worst tournament of the guys listed here is unarguably the best right now.
MacKinnon has been underwhelming though. Just has not accomplished much. 4th line or not. Doesn't mean he wont be an elite player though.
I really like what I've seen from Mackinnon. It's too bad he hasn't put up points, but there really hasn't been much opportunity in his limited role. Great speed, hands, smarts, backchecking, physicality...he's played well by the eyeball test, IMHO.

I'm convinced he'd be a boon to the offense if he were put in a position to succeed. He's one of the 6 best offensive forwards on the team - not sure why the likes of Rattie are getting the plum minutes over him, to be honest.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Grandlund hasn't lived up to the hype
What hype might that be? His brother received tons; Markus, on the other hand, has had an atmosphere of "will be be able to perform without his brother" around him.

Speaking of Granlund, I haven't seen any of Finland's games; is he playing wing or centre?

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
sbtatter

Just based on my expectations pre tournament, based on their overall play so far and not just their point production, and It doesn't reflect their career potential.
I'd say
Miller, Grimaldi, Galchenyko, Hamilton, Huberdeau, Murphy, Yakupov, Grigorenko
I'll give Jones and MacKinnon a pass because they are only 17/18, and it's a tough tournament at that age.
And the medal rounds could really change the players performances and these guys listed could end up playing up to their potential......

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote