HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gardiner for Strome (or your young C prospect)

Old
12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Protip: never use AINEC. All it does is piss people off and make you look overconfident.
Overconfident or not, I'm just telling it like it is.

In what world is Ryan Strome for Jake Gardiner a good trade for the Leafs? Unless there is a significant + added to Strome.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Isles are not looking to trade any centers right now. Casey Cizikas looks to be our fourth line center for the forseeable future and Frans Neilsen is hopefully going to be bumped down to the third line center position where he fits like a glove. That leaves Strome and Nelson to battle out the second line center position and I'm personally hoping one can move to wing so we dont have to trade either but that probably not gonna' happen considering both play center really well.

Things are starting to come together for the Isles, they need to figure out who is a player and who isn't. if they realize they have too many players, they will trade them for weaknesses.
I could easily see them parting with Nelson if the right offer comes along next offseason. He has a lot of value right now(I wouldn't say top-10 prospect value like the previous guy, but top-40 or 50 for sure). If the Isles could get a top-pairing D or a 1st line RW by trading a package centered around Nelson, I think they would strongly consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
But I'm really not surprised this thread exists right now. This is the time of year where hype is in full bloom with the WJC and all.

I'm sure the Canucks wouldn't have traded Cody Hodgson for Jake Gardiner when he was tearing up the WJC as well.
I guess Morgan Rielly >>> Gardiner though, right?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:12 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
No, not at all.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:12 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
But I'm really not surprised this thread exists right now. This is the time of year where hype is in full bloom with the WJC and all.

I'm sure the Canucks wouldn't have traded Cody Hodgson for Jake Gardiner when he was tearing up the WJC as well.
Isles fans have been brushing off Strome trade proposals, long before the WJC, envisioning Strome as Tavares winger or the offensive upgrade to Frans Nielsen on the 2nd line.

It's not just that Strome's developing as a scorer. Prospect reports tell us how he's a added weight, shows much more willingness to battle along the boards and is improving as a pk player.

Isles have other trade chips, they can cash in to upgrade the D. No need to sacrifice their top prospect.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

Quote:
Right now, in terms of value, Jake Gardiner >>> Strome, AINEC.
Agree with this. Gardiner's proven to be an NHL capable player already and he's been great in the AHL this year as well. He's a lock for an NHL job when the season starts up, PLUS he's very young and will only get better. NHL defense is a really tough position to play, especially for a young, offense-first player.

Quote:

Also true.

I can see a Strome-Gardiner type trade being the basis of a deal between these two teams but I don't think Strome helps the Leafs much in the next year or two where losing Gardiner hurts them more in the near term.

Can the Leafs afford to lose Gardiner, after dealing Schenn? Maybe. But Rielly's still a teenager, Blacker & Percy are not ready, Holzer/Ranger/Kostka aren't going to repalce Jake either.

Strome, as good as he's looked, is 19 and although he has potential, he hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet.

I don't think either team makes this deal, but it's interesting.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Overconfident or not, I'm just telling it like it is.

In what world is Ryan Strome for Jake Gardiner a good trade for the Leafs? Unless there is a significant + added to Strome.
In the world he hits his potential as a 70-80pt centre?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
In the world he hits his potential as a 70-80pt centre?
I don't see Strome as a player capable of putting up 70-80 point seasons. Closer to 60 at his peak, IMO.

Regardless, even if he does have that kind of potential, you don't trade a young player with the capability of being a very solid number two d-man in the NHL and has performed admirably at the pro level for potential.

Strome could bust at the professional level. If and when he gets to the AHL and he performs well, then the trade value gap closes a little.

No NHL GM in their right mind would ever offer a Jake Gardiner for Ryan Strome as it stands right now.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
I don't see Strome as a player capable of putting up 70-80 point seasons. Closer to 60 at his peak, IMO.

Regardless, even if he does have that kind of potential, you don't trade a young player with the capability of being a very solid number two d-man in the NHL and has performed admirably at the pro level for potential.

Strome could bust at the professional level. If and when he gets to the AHL and he performs well, then the trade value gap closes a little.

No NHL GM in their right mind would ever offer a Jake Gardiner for Ryan Strome as it stands right now.
No I agree. I haven't disagreed, I just gave you an etiquette pointer

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
seafoam
The Real Winner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I could easily see them parting with Nelson if the right offer comes along next offseason. He has a lot of value right now(I wouldn't say top-10 prospect value like the previous guy, but top-40 or 50 for sure). If the Isles could get a top-pairing D or a 1st line RW by trading a package centered around Nelson, I think they would strongly consider it.

Nelson is not going to be traded until we see him on NHL ice, this kid could be really good. Also I find it hard to believe a team would be willing to give up a top two defenseman for prospect Brock Nelson.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post

I like the idea since we're desperate for a center but I don't think strome is worth gardiner.

The Leafs are not desperate for a center. They finished 10th in the league in scoring last year (that's right, in the top ten) so they are not desperate. However they finished 29th in goals against so they are desperate for a goalie.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
The Leafs are not desperate for a center. They finished 10th in the league in scoring last year (that's right, in the top ten) so they are not desperate. However they finished 29th in goals against so they are desperate for a goalie.
Can't they be desperate for both a centre and a goalie?

And can't both of your stats be attributed to an offensive coaching strategy, as opposed to personnel?

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Can't they be desperate for both a centre and a goalie?

No because to say that they are desperate is inaccurate. The fact is that they are not desperate. They may want a center. One might even argue that they need a center. But to claim that they are desperate for one is simply inaccurate.

Quote:
And can't both of your stats be attributed to an offensive coaching strategy, as opposed to personnel?

Possibly, but that doesn't change the fact that they are not 'desperate'.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

While this is all good value, I don't see why either team make this trade. Islanders lose their top prospect while they already have loads of D prospects, and Toronto's defense takes a big hit while they don't really have a scoring problem.

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Possibly, but that doesn't change the fact that they are not 'desperate'.
It does change for what and how they're desperate, which was the point you were trying to make.

They need a goalie, sure. But I would take Reimer and a great centre over no centre and a goalie with some question marks (see: almost all of them).

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

This seems like the basis of a good trade imo. Could very well see this happening in the off season but right now if I am the Islanders I avoid dealing for Gardiner as he is currently suffering from concussion like symptoms so I would wait and see if he recovers.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Right now, in terms of value, Jake Gardiner >>> Strome, AINEC.
Not to pick on you specifically, but it's entirely possible to communicate this message effectively using proper English ("Jaker Gardiner is worth much more than Strome", for example). That way you don't have to worry about the completely meaningless initialism "AINEC", and the potential difference in conversation rate between your personal valuation of three greater-than symbols and the reader's valuation of them. I can guarantee there is no standardization of the greater-than symbol as a unit of measure on these boards, and an unstandardized unit of measure is not a useful thing at all.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

WJC really blinds people for player values. Strome and Scheifele while good prospects are not worth Gardiner.

Scheifele doesn't have very high upside as he lacks that true game breaking talent and has average hockey IQ. I see him playing as a 2nd line RW.

Strome while very skilled and flashy, sometimes forces to much on himself and needs to mature as a player physically and mentally. I see Strome as a a skilled center such as Ribeiro.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
TrillMike

I don't think the NYI will trade Strome. With that said, I'd love to have him in the Stars system. It would be really cool to see him enter the league on a line with Brett Ritchie.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Seventeen Twos

Isn't Gardiner out indefinitely ATM? Bad thread timing bro

Seventeen Twos is offline   Reply With Quote