HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Where would you rather sign a long term contract...

View Poll Results: Detroit or Florida
Detroit 77 41.62%
Florida 108 58.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
if i'm a hockey player i dont care where i play , as long as it's in the NHL .
But if i have to chose between those two teams only , i'm gonna have to go with the Wings. For the History, the fact they won cups and that they are an original 6.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post

In all seriousness, I respect what Detroit has been able to do over the past decade and a half. A teams luck can only run so far before players just don't pan out the way they hoped. Can these players be good? Absolutely, but I just don't see these players being able to carry the team. It severely hurt Detroit not getting any FAs this year and unless they are able to get some next year it will hurt even more. I just think (yes, my opinion, along with many others) that Huberdeau is going to be a stud. Detroit also has some really good teams in their division to contend with in the coming years. This, of course, depends on any realignment that may happen.

The thing is, is Zetterberg has already started to slow down a little bit and it's not like these players are going into a situation like Datsyuk and Zetterberg did. They went into stacked Detroit teams and learned how to win from the best. With these players coming in in the next few years, Detroit won't be that top team anymore and they may not learn the way those 2 players did (along with Lidstrom)

We'll see how they do, but it is of MY opinion, they they're going to struggle in the next few years and Florida is going to get better. I can't see the future, of course, but they just don't seem to have the same swagger?(for lack of a better word) than they used to.
I completely agree about coming into stacked teams and learning from the best. Unfortunately, Smith got very little time with Lidstrom. But how can Nyquist not learn from Datsyuk like Datsyuk learned from Larianov? (And others, of course) How can Jarnkrok not learn from Zetterberg? Zetterberg pretty much went out of his way to go to a lesser league to play with Brunner, who's absolutely tearing it up.

You claim that Zetterberg's already slowing down. It's true that he has back problems that could easily become a bigger issue in the future. He slumped in the first 18 games of the season last year and then recovered by putting up 62 points in the next 64 games. If a near PPG pace is "Slowing down", I can happily live with that.

For all intents and purposes, while their defense has taken a hit, their offense is slated to be better than it was last year.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:16 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
For the History, the fact they won cups and that they are an original 6.
Those have nothing to do with the present-day team that you'd be on though. I don't care about being on an original 6 team, honestly I think it's overrated. And the fact that they won Cups in the past doesn't mean they will win in the future. Not to mention the Cup argument isn't really fair considering Florida has only been around for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I completely agree about coming into stacked teams and learning from the best. Unfortunately, Smith got very little time with Lidstrom. But how can Nyquist not learn from Datsyuk like Datsyuk learned from Larianov? (And others, of course) How can Jarnkrok not learn from Zetterberg? Zetterberg pretty much went out of his way to go to a lesser league to play with Brunner, who's absolutely tearing it up.

You claim that Zetterberg's already slowing down. It's true that he has back problems that could easily become a bigger issue in the future. He slumped in the first 18 games of the season last year and then recovered by putting up 62 points in the next 64 games. If a near PPG pace is "Slowing down", I can happily live with that.

For all intents and purposes, while their defense has taken a hit, their offense is slated to be better than it was last year.
I don't know about Datsyuk and Zetterberg in particular, but not all great players are great teachers. Dan Boyle for example isn't known to be a good mentor. There are no examples of him talking to rookies and helping them. Blake and Lidstrom on the other hand were good mentors.
Of course if there were instances where rookies said Datsyuk and Zetterberg pulled them aside/stayed after practice to help/etc, then you have a point. I honestly have no clue about them.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

It depends for me: Money/SC

Have I won a SC?

No = go to the better team, unless the other team offers way more money.

Yes = where I can get more money/playing time. If one team offers more money, but I would have a larger role on the other team, it depends how much the difference is.

Don't matter the location to me. Just give me a money/legit chance to win.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:52 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Detroit players live in the suburbs, which are seriously some of the nicest areas in the country.

Also for what it is worth, while Detroit has continued to have some embarrassing crime it depends on how you get those numbers.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...ngerous-cities

An inclusion of violent crimes and property theft show.

Quote:
1. St. Louis

2. Atlanta

3. Birmingham Alabama (tie)

3. Orlando (tie)

5. Detroit

6. Memphis

7. Miami

8. Baltimore

9. Kansas City, Missouri

10. Minneapolis (tie)

10. Cleveland (tie)

It all depends on how you get to the numbers, but some cities will surprise you. In any event having lived in both places I can tell you the crime problem in Miami isn't all that different than Detroit, only their suburbs aren't as well isolated and protected in the Miami area in my opinion. But I doubt the players are very concerned with any of the areas they live and in any given year some of these numbers will change. For instance do to the huge gang wars going on it is almost a run away right now that Chicago is going to lead all of these lists when they are finally compiled in 2012. It really doesn't matter to these players though the chances they see any of that are small.

Of course Miami and Chicago which are nice destination cities when they talk about free agency are two examples of cities I can remember where athletes were specifically targeted for robberies and murder.

But there is a reason Detroit has a huge off-season population of NHL players, why they don't have trouble attracting free agents and have so many lifer guys. Trust me there are several extremely nice places to live. The only real downer is night life, so if you already have a family which most UFA guys do, do you really care a great deal about that? That was always believed to be a reason at the time that Fedorov (one of the only notable guys to leave) took off, by the way he still owns his Detroit area house and even now spends a significant portion of his off-seasons there. Yzerman's family didn't even move with him to Tampa. Just a couple of examples.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Seems like a no brainer to pick Florida with the points you've listed lol

I'd pick Florida, as a hockey player, I don't think I'd really care about a team's legacy nearly as much as the city I'm gonna live in long term
If you're a high level player (which you would most likely be if you're signing a long term contract), you also get the opportunity of helping forge a legacy for that team. If you're an elite player for Detroit, you're just one of dozens through history. If you're an elite player for Florida, you could end up as a franchise record holder or be "the guy" who is most associated with the franchise.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:23 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Is this serious? Obviously Florida AINEC in this instance. Millionaire on south beach? Do you know how many 10/10 girls they get a WEEK? ^_^

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:12 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
No brainer for me: Detroit. I don't care about bad neighborhoods. The legacy of that team makes everything worth it.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If you're a high level player (which you would most likely be if you're signing a long term contract), you also get the opportunity of helping forge a legacy for that team. If you're an elite player for Detroit, you're just one of dozens through history. If you're an elite player for Florida, you could end up as a franchise record holder or be "the guy" who is most associated with the franchise.
So the real question is do you want to be Daniel Alfredsson or Steve Yzerman

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
boredmale

screw Detroit or Miami, their is only one place I would go to

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Incognito

Definitely Florida. Beaches, palm trees, sandals, warm weather, etc.

To top it all off, they have a promising group of young up-and-comers.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:50 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Definitely Florida. Beaches, palm trees, sandals, warm weather, etc.

To top it all off, they have a promising group of young up-and-comers.
don't forget the taxes

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
Detroit

- hockeytown
- original six
- greats have played there
- play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg
- Detroit is a city rampant with crime
- cold winters
- right beside a very polluted lake
- not a desirable living place for a millionaire

Florida

- what's hockey?
- newer team with little history
- no legendary greats, except Bure I suppose
- no superstar talent to play beside as of now
- close to Miami, good times there
- very warm, relaxing climate
- a drive to the ocean
- beach = hot chicks in bikinis
Those are probably the most biased pros and cons ever...you may as well have put Florida in the poll twice.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't know about Datsyuk and Zetterberg in particular, but not all great players are great teachers. Dan Boyle for example isn't known to be a good mentor. There are no examples of him talking to rookies and helping them. Blake and Lidstrom on the other hand were good mentors.
Of course if there were instances where rookies said Datsyuk and Zetterberg pulled them aside/stayed after practice to help/etc, then you have a point. I honestly have no clue about them.
I'd count on Zetterberg more than Datsyuk in this regard.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:48 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Imma husslin gangbanger so detroit ovbs

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

You'll be playing in a half empty arena with either team you choose. However, I'd go with Florida. Nicer weather, nicer place to live, nicer arena, and an up and coming team with a great prospect pool.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
zombi
I D D Q D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
You'll be playing in a half empty arena with either team you choose. However, I'd go with Florida. Nicer weather, nicer place to live, nicer arena, and an up and coming team with a great prospect pool.
Weird...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg atte.JPeG‎ (143.2 KB, 12 views)

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'd sign in Detroit, but live in Florida.

Amending this to reflect the rest of the OP's post that I failed to read.

A 20 year old kid looking to sign based on the criteria provided?

I'd still sign in Detroit.

I can sign in FLA after my 8 year deal is up and still be a young man at 28-29.

I'd prefer to be in a hockey crazed market that adores the game and its players.

Ultimately I want to win, so if that meant dealing with the cold weather of Michigan, so be it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Detroit is #4 in attendance, minny #16.

Detroit avg attendance 20,114
Minnesota avg attend 17,772

Troll much?

Edit: Oops, missed zombo's stats.

Last edited by HockeyBuddha: 12-31-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Flatulence
HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
Detroit is #4 in attendance, minny #16.

Detroit avg attendance 20,114
Minnesota avg attend 17,772

Troll much?

Edit: Oops, missed zombo's stats.
He also missed the part where Michigan just approved a new $650M project that includes a new arena for Detroit...

Old
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'm well aware that the attendance stats say Detroit is one of the top teams, but that doesn't change what I actually see. Every Detroit game I see on television has the seats being well over half empty. From what I've heard, it sounds like big companies own many of the seats, but don't use them very often. So the attendance stats may be nice, but how many people actually attend the games aren't. And why you're comparing the Wild attendance statistics to the Wings I have no idea. Defensive much? The Xcel Energy Center has a capacity of only 18,064, although I don't think that accounts for standing room seats as well as a few others so a sellout is usually 18,568. Joe Louis has a capacity of just over 20,000, so naturally a sellout there is always going to be more than what the Wild have. Stats can be manipulated, what the eye sees at a game can't.

Edit: Perhaps half empty is a bit much, but there's definitely thousands of empty seats, no where near a full house.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
I'm well aware that the attendance stats say Detroit is one of the top teams, but that doesn't change what I actually see. Every Detroit game I see on television has the seats being well over half empty. From what I've heard, it sounds like big companies own many of the seats, but don't use them very often. So the attendance stats may be nice, but how many people actually attend the games aren't. And why you're comparing the Wild attendance statistics to the Wings I have no idea. Defensive much? The Xcel Energy Center has a capacity of only 18,064, although I don't think that accounts for standing room seats as well as a few others so a sellout is usually 18,568. Joe Louis has a capacity of just over 20,000, so naturally a sellout there is always going to be more than what the Wild have. Stats can be manipulated, what the eye sees at a game can't.

Edit: Perhaps half empty is a bit much, but there's definitely thousands of empty seats, no where near a full house.
What kind of camera view are you getting? Theres a few empty seats because of business but people tend to have to go to the bathroom, get something to eat, etc. during a game. I think your just jealous tbh

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:

Lower bowl is patchy. Upper bowl is full. The reason for that is a lack of suites, causing the business folk to buy up season tickets and then hardly use them.

Hopefully a new arena will solve that problem... At least partly.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
What kind of camera view are you getting? Theres a few empty seats because of business but people tend to have to go to the bathroom, get something to eat, etc. during a game. I think your just jealous tbh
It's more than "a few". Jealous? Jealous of what? That business people go to the Red Wing games to eat and chat with friends in the concourse rather than watch the game? They don't sound much like hockey fans.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:55 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

I'm taking Detroit. Playing for the organization guys like Gordie Howe played for, I wouldn't be able to pass that up.

Plus, if I'm in the NHL making millions, I can just go vacation in Florida during the off-season. Kill two birds with one rich stone. Plus I'm from Ontario, and could still reasonably live there as well. All pluses in my books.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote