HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
jedimyrmidon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
But there is no question that of potential "first overalls" Canadians, MacKinnon has been probably the most underwhelming in recent years.
Poor MacKinnon. His teammate and friend Jonathan Drouin is being used by the coach as an offensive player while he's toiling away on the 4th grinder/checking/defensive line - and it's actually skewing people's view of him draftwise! Not saying he's the surefire #1 overall pick, but considering his role on Team CAN, of course one is going to be underwhelmed by his point totals when his line isn't supposed to really be an offensive line at all (and he's not being used as a center!).

As in the SSS, if MacKinnon were centering Drouin and Huberdeau, watch out.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:31 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Poor MacKinnon. His teammate and friend Jonathan Drouin is being used by the coach as an offensive player while he's toiling away on the 4th grinder/checking/defensive line - and it's actually skewing people's view of him draftwise! Not saying he's the surefire #1 overall pick, but considering his role on Team CAN, of course one is going to be underwhelmed by his point totals when his line isn't supposed to really be an offensive line at all (and he's not being used as a center!).

The fact of the matter is Mckinon is playing in a year with at least 2-3 top 6 NHLers on the team. Of course he's going to have a harder time.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I feel like 3 guys in the tournament are racking up points while being invisible. Strome, Galchenyuk & Huberdeau (they all somr flashes, but sometimes you forget they're even playing while I thought they'd beast the tourney like they're beasting the OHL and for Huberdeau the Q last season.) Grigorenko & Yakupov also haven't been impressing me. As for defensemen, Hamilton & Jones aren't playing like I'm used to seeing them play in the CHL.

Last edited by JayKing: 12-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.
JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
theboss*

Yakupov, rielly, hamilton and grigs have been disappointing

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
I thought Grigs was actually playing quite good.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Morgan Rielly 1g 4pts, +5, 13 shots
Xavier Ouellet 1g 3pts, +1, 13 shots
Dougie Hamilton 1g 2pts, +3, 9 shots
Tyler Wotherspoon 1g 2pts, +3, 3 shots
Scott Harrington 0g 1pt, +5, 2 shots
Griffin Reinhart 0g 1pt, +2, 1 shot
Ryan Murphy 0g 0pts, +2, 14 shots

I'm looking forward to when people think he's actually playing well.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

This actually may help MacKinnon in a way. Nobody is really doubting his skill and ability, those are top notch and won't be a hindrance to him going 1st overall and having a solid shot at becoming a franchise forward. It seems that many NHL scouts are drawn to his intensity and size which he displays in addition to skill. They say things like he displays game-breaking skill one shift and then a hard-nosed physical presence the next.

So his versatility, his ability to log hard minutes on the 4th line, may play to his advantage. Then again, maybe it won't (I obviously don't know).

As for who disappointed me the most? I don't really think I've been disappointed by anyone but I did expect more from Jones. He's a physical beast and is playing fine in my opinion, but after the composure shown last year by Murray I think I expected something similar from Jones. That's more my fault though as they are very different players.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-31-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
MXD

Disappointing? Dougie Hamilton. Not that he's bad, but considering the hype, he should easily have been the best D in the tourney. He's not even the best on his team.

Expected a bit more from Rielly as well. Should have gotten more TOI, but his play just don't warrant increased TOI. I'd still take him on my team anytime, though.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Disappointing? Dougie Hamilton. Not that he's bad, but considering the hype, he should easily have been the best D in the tourney. He's not even the best on his team.

Expected a bit more from Rielly as well. Should have gotten more TOI, but his play just don't warrant increased TOI. I'd still take him on my team anytime, though.
I agree with everything you said on this one. Hamilton has picked up his play in the last couple of games though.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Gibson. good goalies aren't suppose to let in goals

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
How about Galchenyuk? guy has looked horrible against the only two good teams he's played.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Holy crap, that's crazy!
With the amount of powerplay and even strength time that guy gets, you'd have to think he'd have accidentally gotten a point by now.

I admit, I like to see Murphy's rushes with the puck, but that's pretty much his only trick. I'd say he's played like the 7th D-Man on Team Canada, though his icetime suggests otherwise.

I wouldn't call Murphy a disappointment either, because I didn't expect anything from him in the first place.
Didn't Cherry say Murphy should be the 1st overall choice in his draft year? Out to lunch or what!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
How about Galchenyuk? guy has looked horrible against the only two good teams he's played.
He is tied for 2nd overall in points, on the wing (he is more suited to centre) and the next closest player on his team points wise is Trouba. How much help do you think he is getting out there? Are you just angry because someone said Grigs?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Yak and Galy, ...also Hamilton.
not impressed and don't need to hear the excuses either....there is a reason these names are coming up often.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

RIELLY, Galchenyuk (somewhat), Yakupov, Hamilton and Mackinnon.

It could be just the ice time, but Rielly hasn't nearly been impressive as I'd thought he'd be. Other than some pretty good speed, Yakupov hasn't looked dangerous at all. Galchenyuk is ok I guess, but Hamilton and Mackinnon have been underwhelming.

Although with Mackinnon, its probably due to ice time. It doesn't change the fact I'm PO'ed at Rielly, for some reason.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Nowhere near as good as Trouba.

And today he was Canada's worst defenseman. Of course, you wouldn't hear about it here at the HFRiellyHypeTrainBoards.com
He definitely was, but I wouldn't take your word on it. You have been extremely biased towards him even when he's played well you'd probably say that. And that extra little snipe remark at the end proves it.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Gaudreau. Sucks.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Morgan Rielly 1g 4pts, +5, 13 shots
Xavier Ouellet 1g 3pts, +1, 13 shots
Dougie Hamilton 1g 2pts, +3, 9 shots
Tyler Wotherspoon 1g 2pts, +3, 3 shots
Scott Harrington 0g 1pt, +5, 2 shots
Griffin Reinhart 0g 1pt, +2, 1 shot
Ryan Murphy 0g 0pts, +2, 14 shots

I'm looking forward to when people think he's actually playing well.
I thought Rielly only had 3 points?

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I thought Rielly only had 3 points?
The IIHF didn't think Rielly should get an assist on this goal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhcIX83ikjo

TSN has the actual stats.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
RIELLY, Galchenyuk (somewhat), Yakupov, Hamilton and Mackinnon.

It could be just the ice time, but Rielly hasn't nearly been impressive as I'd thought he'd be.
Spott is barely playing Reilly in favour of his mancrush Murphy who has been poor at best this tournament. Very hard to make any judgements with regards to Reilly's play as he barely seems to ever be on the ice. That said, it is interesting that Reilly is still somehow leading Canada's defensemen in scoring.

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
agent082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Grandlund hasn't lived up to the hype neither has Dougie Hamilton.
Haven't seen any hype. He isn't his big brother Mikael. But I admit drafting mid 2nd round is maybe little high.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Spott is barely playing Reilly in favour of his mancrush Murphy who has been poor at best this tournament. Very hard to make any judgements with regards to Reilly's play as he barely seems to ever be on the ice. That said, it is interesting that Reilly is still somehow leading Canada's defensemen in scoring.
Normally I'd say it's easy getting points on Canada's powerplay, but then I think about Murphy and realize I cant say that.

Still coming in as a lock and then being demoted to (argubly) the 7th dman is definitely disappointing. I realize some of it is Spott's favouritism to Murphy, but there must be a reason why it is only affecting Rielly and no one else.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
Yakupov, Galyenchuk, Murphy, Mackinnon, Jones, Hamilton all been disappointing.
Great list but jones has been okay

I'd add barkov and jt miller who has been garbage.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Mahox
Noncontroversial

Barkov had 3 points in 4 games while being the best center of team Finland by a mile.
He was sound defensively, a beast in the faceoff dot and had a ton of take-aways.
He also set up his linemates for excellent scoring opportunities but we finns are notoriously bad at finishing

Sure he could've/should've had more points but for an underager it seems unfair to be disappointed with him.
He was one of the few somewhat bright spots on this really unbalanced team Finland.

Mahox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
I had a laugh too, really Yakupov is the only one on his list that I would have included, mostly because he is playing at home and was the #1 pick otherwise his play is fine.

If Rielly were a Hab he would be complaining about his lack of ice time or be making some kind of excuse.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:23 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I had a laugh too, really Yakupov is the only one on his list that I would have included, mostly because he is playing at home and was the #1 pick otherwise his play is fine.

If Rielly were a Hab he would be complaining about his lack of ice time or be making some kind of excuse.
I can tell you are mad that habs drafted gally and the leafs did not. I dont blame you to be honest haha, stay mad

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote