HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

All CBA talk. A deal? A deal!!!

Old
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Superhero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
if this passes I wonder if the Sabres use the buyout on Leino.
Leieno has to be gone. That contract is horrible.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
joshjull

Folks CBA talk in this thread.

Lets not get to far off tangent with Leino.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
joshjull

It will be interesting to see if Fehr and the NHLPA stick another non linkage poison pill into any counter offer.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It will be interesting to see if Fehr and the NHLPA stick another non linkage poison pill into any counter offer.
Indeed.

It seems to me that they HAVE to be pretty close. It's the same couple specifics being rehashed and tweaked here. Adding something else of substance that hasn't yet been discussed would be a deal killer.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Havent read the article when he states "sometimes I wonder why I'm here"???

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Apparently still not close...
Says who?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Says who?
Sportsnet Kyper tweeted that, said good step but not enough

Old
12-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Sportsnet Kyper tweeted that, said good step but not enough
He's also an idiot.

Honestly if the players quickly reject this offer there will not only be no Hockey this year but they can kiss any "progress" they've made goodbye for the summer as well.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
He's also an idiot.

Honestly if the players quickly reject this offer there will not only be no Hockey this year but they can kiss any "progress" they've made goodbye for the summer as well.
Exactly, they cab get a better deal now then if theres no season and they get payed(partialy) for this season

Old
12-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Moskau

The PA will ultimately "reject" this offer on Sunday when the sides meet but I hope that it starts the basis for something to get done the first week on January.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I have given up being positive about this getting done... We'll know in a week one way or the other.

I would imagine that if they don't take this or something really close the season is done. There is no more time to negotiate big things, especially at the pace with which these two sides work.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Layne Staley

Part of the proposal includes a change to the draft lottery to allow all non playoff teams a shot at the #1 pick a la the NBA.I love the idea, gives the Sabres a chance at #1 when they will finish in the 11-14 range and miss the playoffs by a few points.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
The PA will ultimately "reject" this offer on Sunday when the sides meet but I hope that it starts the basis for something to get done the first week on January.
i think the offer will get rejected as well. But I doubt you'll see anything positive from the NHL after that and the season will be lost.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:27 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
i think the offer will get rejected as well. But I doubt you'll see anything positive from the NHL after that and the season will be lost.
And as sad as that is .... I've come to terms and am fine with a lost season. Once mid December came and went, I was fine with no NHL this season.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

You guys clearly have no clue how negotiating works.

The PA isn't going to accept the NHL's offer as is. They're going to propose some changes, that's how this works!

The question is are they going to propose small tweaks that both sides can agree on, or try and get something else major pushed through that kills everything.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:54 AM
MyersMagic57*

Mike Harrington believes that the NHLPA should accept this deal.

I think the NHL has a pretty generous offer on the table. If the NHLPA refuses and nothing happens in a week, then I blame the NHLPA for no season.

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
You guys clearly have no clue how negotiating works.

The PA isn't going to accept the NHL's offer as is. They're going to propose some changes, that's how this works!

The question is are they going to propose small tweaks that both sides can agree on, or try and get something else major pushed through that kills everything.
That's the problem. They've been proposing "small tweaks" for months. How many tweaks does it take?

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Fehr correctly identified that the number of owners who want a season probably significantly exceeds those who'd be willing to cancel the entire season. He told the players the offer would get better, and it did, even after all the "off the table" shenanigans. I think Fehr savvy enough to know when the offer isn't going to get better, and at that point it'll be put to a vote.

I think we'll get a 48-game season.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:13 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That's the problem. They've been proposing "small tweaks" for months. How many tweaks does it take?
I'd dispute that much of it to this point has been tweaks. Everything up to the blow up in NYC was pretty big chunks.

Even still, when you compare where they are now, they agree on much of the ideas, just need to find middle ground on some specifics.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:40 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I can see why the teams making money would be prepared to bend over for the players. What I do not get is how this deal helps those losing money get into the black and make a reasonable return on their risk/investment. The 50-50 on hrr takes a few years to come into effect and even with an 8 year opt out that leaves those money losing teams still in effect being second rate farm teams--but paying larger salaries for second tier players. Big city glitz, personal endorsements, status in the bigs playing before knowledgeable and admiring fans are already pluses for the Rangers, Leafs etc...Maybe the Fehr brothers will buy the Phoenix Coyotes--only 170 million and of course we know rhe nhl is making " record profits" -right? Still and all I want to see Sabres hockey so let's go!

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Fehr correctly identified that the number of owners who want a season probably significantly exceeds those who'd be willing to cancel the entire season. He told the players the offer would get better, and it did, even after all the "off the table" shenanigans. I think Fehr savvy enough to know when the offer isn't going to get better, and at that point it'll be put to a vote.

Hey, the Sabres might win the presidents trophy if there's a 48 game season. They always seem to tear it up from January on.

This could be a blessing in disguise, haha

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Hey, the Sabres might win the presidents trophy if there's a 48 game season. They always seem to tear it up from January on.

This could be a blessing in disguise, haha
Or if they play like they did the first 48 games we'll have a top 5 pick! Win/Win situation

Old
12-31-2012, 04:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

I really don't think it takes much intuition or savvy to realize the majority of owners don't want a canceled season. I also think the decision to push things this far was made WELL before the last month or so.

Its not like Fehr is reading the tea leaves of the past month of so and thats when he came to a realization that the majority of owners don't want to cancel the season. The NHLPA already had a plan in place to push things to this point with that very idea in mind. Since it wouldn't make much sense to push things like they have if they didn't think that was the case.

The NHLPA/Fehr game plan going into the summer was to push the talks until the season was in jeopardy. The PA felt putting the season on the brink was the best way for them to get some leverage and get a deal they could live with. Thats why they dragged their feet on making proposals at all. When they did actually make them, they put de-linkage poison pills in knowing the NHL would never go for them. Or nitpick each item knowing full well the NHL proposals were meant to be looked at as a whole. Thus pushing talks further down the road and closer to the season in jeopardy. Many players comments have alluded to this strategy. Steve Ott's recent comments come to mind as an example.

Quote:
I sure hope so. I didn't really think I was missing NHL hockey that much, particularly with how busy I have been with my coaching duties. But after watching the Amerks on TV a few times recently it made me realize how much I really do miss watching the games.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-31-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Moskau

The fact that the NHL is turning right around with another in depth write up is probably good news for a season. Either the NHL will have caved somewhat with this offer or Fehr will smell blood and make them give it up in the next 2 weeks but either way the PA will get most of what they want and the season will begin.

I think ultimately the NHL knows that while they don't need to be in a rush to start a season financially the reality is Fehr and co. will need to feel like they've "won" for the lockout to end and that the real problem with the NHL doesn't lie in the CBA but in the half dozen clubs at the bottom of the pile. Relocation sucks but I really believe that this same situation will happen when this CBA is up unless a few teams find a new home.

I think NYI moving to Barclays will potentially be huge for the league. One of the worst revenue teams will potentially be one of the top revenue teams. One or two more moves like that would help so much.

Last edited by Moskau: 01-01-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 11:36 PM
kirby11

Quote:
The fact that the NHL is turning right around with another in depth write up is probably good news for a season. Either the NHL will have caved somewhat with this offer or Fehr will smell blood and make them give it up in the next 2 weeks but either way the PA will get most of what they want and the season will begin.

I think ultimately the NHL knows that while they don't need to be in a rush to start a season financially the reality is Fehr and co. will need to feel like they've "won" for the lockout to end and that the real problem with the NHL doesn't lie in the CBA but in the half dozen clubs at the bottom of the pile. Relocation sucks but I really believe that this same situation will happen when this CBA is up unless a few teams find a new home.

I think NYI moving to Barclays will potentially be huge for the league. One of the worst revenue teams will potentially be one of the top revenue teams. One or two more moves like that would help so much.
Moving the Coyotes to basically any other city (Quebec perhaps? KC? Seattle?) would be extremely helpful

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote