HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
Bettman tells reporters: “The (NHLPA) have come back with a comprehensive response, which is why we need some time to analyze it.” @NHL
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Bettman says the league expects to work late tonight analyzing PA's counter. Would Explain his prediction am talks could conclude by noon.
Quote:
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
As expected, Bettman confirms NHL Point of No Return: January 11. Good.
Hammer it out.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
http://bcove.me/mu9odtcp

Click link above for video of Fehr answering questions after meetings today. edit: there is also a video for bettman up there too.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post

Click link above for video of Fehr answering questions after meetings today.
Link doesn't work.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Link doesn't work.
sorry try it again, I noticed there was something wrong as soon as I posted it, then fixed it. it should be working now

Old
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:

Click link above for video of Fehr answering questions after meetings today. edit: there is also a video for bettman up there too.
"Lets have a drink'..was his best response ..

Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
sorry try it again, I noticed there was something wrong as soon as I posted it, then fixed it. it should be working now
Thanks

Old
12-31-2012, 05:59 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Was Fehr's interview good? And are they meeting in the morning?

Old
12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
@DarrenDreger
Without question, the NHL will respond to the PA's counter tomorrow, however, the process has moved beyond proposals. Still work to do...
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...01970420682752

me thinks were in the home stretch.....

Old
12-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Levitate

Yeah the NHL's response was really about the best we could hope for at this point

Old
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Posting this story from Renaud Lavoie, will translate it as soon as I post it:

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../152254/public

Quote:
S’il y a une bonne nouvelle présentement dans les négociations, c’est que le ton a changé. Pour la première fois, depuis le début du mois de décembre, les deux parties n’ont pas été sarcastiques un envers l’autre et même Gary Bettman (dans son point de presse de lundi) n’a pas envoyé une seule flèche en direction de l’Association des joueurs, une première dans ce conflit.

Il est vrai que la LNH veut réviser la contre-offre des joueurs, mais le commissaire de la LNH savait très bien à quoi ressemblait la proposition de l’AJLNH lorsqu’il s’est présenté devant les journalistes et il semblait confiant.

Une source du côté de la ligue m’a indiqué qu’il y avait encore beaucoup de travail à faire, mais que si les deux parties avaient le désir de régler ce conflit, une entente pourrait bien survenir rapidement.

Une autre source, cette fois du côté des joueurs, m’a dit que le sentiment était réciproque et qu’on s’approchait probablement de la fin du script. Mais avant de crier victoire, la réponse de la LNH mardi va dicter la suite des choses et qu’il faut s’attendre à des hauts et des bas encore.
Translation:

- Both sides were not being sarcastic about the other sides offer. Bettman, when he spoked to media today, did not attack the PA, a first in this process. Bettman also seemed confident when he met the media.

- A NHL source says there is still a lot of work left to be done. But if both sides want this lockout to end ASAP, a deal could happen quickly.

- A PA source said the feeling is mutual and that we are probably towards the end of the script.

- Lavoie adds there could still be some highs and lows though.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:05 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Sources told the Sun the players did take a step in the direction of the owners with the offer they tabled but there are still large gaps that have to be bridged if there’s going to be a deal which is why the league wanted time to counter.
Quote:
It’s believed the players would like the upper limit of the cap to be somewhere in the $65-to-$68 million range in 2013-14. The NHL proposed a $60 million cap, but it’s believed there could be some flexibility by the league in that area.

The contentious issue will be a desire by the NHLPA to have a cap on escrow. The players are concerned they’ll be paying more escrow because the revenues will fall short of the expectations from the damage of the lockout.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/31...-new-years-eve

I was watching Sportnet earlier. They carried their lockout coverage when Bettman and Fehr online. Kyper and John Shannon did a live shot outside the NHL office. Kyper said the players aren't getting a cap on escrow. They are prepared to lose some of the salaries in escrow. They want a higher cap than $60M because they don't want to see their teams dismantled. The players under contract will be made whole through the transition payments. Its the players signing new contracts which will lose money in escrow. The big market teams don't want a $60M cap.

Get the compliance buyout to be executed prior to the 2013 or 13-14 season. Get the cap for 13-14 to be higher than $60M.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
No one stomped out of yesterday’s bargaining session at NHL headquarters. No one blew or emitted smoke. One hundred and eight days into Owners’ Lockout III, the NHL has turned the page on both 2012 and ultimatums, finally prepared to engage in short-strokes collective bargaining with the Players’ Association.
Quote:
Including buyouts and the unpredictability of damage caused by this third lockout in the last 18 years of Gary Bettman’s reign, the union has calculated that escrow could rise as high as 15 percent under a $60 million cap for next season, and higher than that if the cap is set at $65 million. This, the PA believes, would represent a de-facto rollback on all existing contracts.

The NHL’s proposed drop of 14.53 percent in the cap from this year’s effective $70.2 million to $60 million is unprecedented in the history of hard-cap pro sports.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...IzkzaMDwFBteoO

Old
01-01-2013, 07:48 AM
ribbet

I know we're not supposed to speculate here but for what it's worth ... a friend of a friend works for the NHL in Detroit at Joe Louis and yesterday he was told to report there for the first time this season to start prepping the cameras. Could mean nothing but it gives me some hope haha.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:06 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR ribbet View Post
I know we're not supposed to speculate here but for what it's worth ... a friend of a friend works for the NHL in Detroit at Joe Louis and yesterday he was told to report there for the first time this season to start prepping the cameras. Could mean nothing but it gives me some hope haha.
Could Michigan possibly be playing a game there in the near future?

Old
01-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR ribbet View Post
haha...well that is good news to hear. I am waiting to hear what happens today, see the NHLs response to the PA's counterproposal. After the rumor that came out last week, that owners have told bettman that losing the full season is not an option, I think there will definitely be a season. I also think realistically the cap has to be 65 million or somewhere around there, the only way it could be at 60 million is if there was a rollback, which is not happening, or the escrow for the year is taken into account when calculating the cap per team, which I don't think will happen either, it has to be at 65 million.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
mschmidt64

I've come out on the owners' side through most of this but I generally say it's cause it's what is good for the game.

On the cap issue, I have to side with the players.

There is no way you can impose an immediate $60m hard cap with no room for maneuvering. Even if you had an NBA system where you imposed that $60 million cap right away, but teams could exceed it if they paid a luxury tax, that could work (though for the record, I'm against the luxury tax system in general, just saying that would work better than an immediate drop to a hard $60m cap).

It's simply not fair to the teams who were trying to build a winning product to pull the rug out from under their feet.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
NHL execs mtng this morning and have been for some time. Will invite union in at some pt today. Long day ahead for all...
Darren Dreger (twitter) @DarrendDreger

Quote:
Heading into NYC for potentially big day in CBA negotiations as NHL and NHLPA get back together 24 hours after NHLPA made counter proposal.
Dan Rosen (Twitter) @drosennhl

Old
01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Levitate

yeah the $60 mill hard cap thing is a weird bit of business that the small market teams seem to be cramming into the deal in order to punish the teams that followed the rules and built their teams and used the cap space available

The other possibility is the NHL is being "smart" and using that as a bargaining chip to get something else from the players and all along intended to at least bring it back up to where it was last year, but I think that might be giving them too much credit.

I'm sure if they got creative they could just have a $64 mill salary cap but still enforce the 50-50 split but of course that would probably result in huge escrow losses for the players and they wouldn't like that

Old
01-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

"@DarrenDreger: Said last night, a number of differences on main issues need to be resolved, so don't expect a deal today. Inching to that goal = progress."

Old
01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
League and NHLPA still haven't set meeting time for today. League staff worked long into the night after getting NHLPA counter
Pierre LeBrun (twitter) @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Old
01-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
No timeline set for NHL to respond to PA's counter-proposal. Will it happen today? "At some point"
John Shannon (twitter) @JSportsnet

Old
01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I was hoping I would get news of a season to help assuage this massive hangover. I'm disappointed in myself for being as let down as I feel.

RANGERS =
Old
01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
I've come out on the owners' side through most of this but I generally say it's cause it's what is good for the game.

On the cap issue, I have to side with the players.

There is no way you can impose an immediate $60m hard cap with no room for maneuvering. Even if you had an NBA system where you imposed that $60 million cap right away, but teams could exceed it if they paid a luxury tax, that could work (though for the record, I'm against the luxury tax system in general, just saying that would work better than an immediate drop to a hard $60m cap).

It's simply not fair to the teams who were trying to build a winning product to pull the rug out from under their feet.
So, you're just supportive of what would help the Rangers in any given moment?

What a noble stance.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Levitate

The NHL taking all this time to prepare a response is a pretty good thing IMO, but we'll see

Old
01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The NHL taking all this time to prepare a response is a pretty good thing IMO, but we'll see
That's what I was thinking. Through this process, this might be the longest time the NHL side has taken to respnd to an NHLPA counter.

Closed Thread