HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jonathan Drouin vs. Pat Kane - Draft year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
  #1
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Jonathan Drouin vs. Pat Kane - Draft year

I know, I know, ....another Drouin thread.

I will say right off the bat I am honestly not surprised with his play so far in the WJC. He is easily the most skilled player for the draft IMO.

He has been compare to Kane in playing style and the same can be said for their draft status during their draft year. Both shot up the rankings to be in contention for #1. Kane ended up going 1st and Drouin would likely go 3-5 if the draft were today.

For those who watched Kane in London, how does Drouin compare?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
  #2
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,340
vCash: 500
Kane shot up to #1 but the top end of his draft and this year are night and day.

Not saying that Kane hasn't had a great start to his career but it's really not fair to compare and Drouin has basically zero chance of being #1 IMO.

People are reading way too much into the WJC for the top 3 prospects IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
  #3
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Kane shot up to #1 but the top end of his draft and this year are night and day.

Not saying that Kane hasn't had a great start to his career but it's really not fair to compare and Drouin has basically zero chance of being #1 IMO.

People are reading way too much into the WJC for the top 3 prospects IMO.
Believe what you want, but the fans in Halifax consider Drouin to be on par with MacKinnon this season, and some scouts are starting to see and agree. Saying he has zero chance is silly.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
  #4
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Believe what you want, but the fans in Halifax consider Drouin to be on par with MacKinnon this season, and some scouts are starting to see and agree. Saying he has zero chance is silly.
Okay he has .01% chance then if the other 2 guys die.

Fans in Halifax are only looking at how each guy performs for their team and most people are offense driven in their view and don't look at intangibles and defense.

Nathan is going to go #1, there is no Larsson RNH debate going on this year among scouts and NHL teams.

Several other guys like Barkov could go ahead of Drouin as well, because size and position matter in the NHL.

Droiun is going to be a great player, much like Kane is but not the absolute centerpiece of a team, something Nathan and Seth both could be.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
  #5
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Kane shot up to #1 but the top end of his draft and this year are night and day.

Not saying that Kane hasn't had a great start to his career but it's really not fair to compare and Drouin has basically zero chance of being #1 IMO.

People are reading way too much into the WJC for the top 3 prospects IMO.
I just cant wrap my head around comments like these! This makes no sense. Of coarse he has a chance at 1st overall. So does Barkov. Things change throughout the year.... NOTHING is set in stone. If by zero chance you really mean very very very unlikely...then saying a guy like Max Domi cant go 1st overall makes sense. But not a guy who is cementing himself in the top 3 discussion.

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
  #6
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Okay he has .01% chance then if the other 2 guys die.

Fans in Halifax are only looking at how each guy performs for their team and most people are offense driven in their view and don't look at intangibles and defense.

Nathan is going to go #1, there is no Larsson RNH debate going on this year among scouts and NHL teams.

Several other guys like Barkov could go ahead of Drouin as well, because size and position matter in the NHL.

Droiun is going to be a great player, much like Kane is but not the absolute centerpiece of a team, something Nathan and Seth both could be.
I would love to get your source for how you know the inner workings of NHL teams scouting staffs. Seriously, people on this site eat that kind of insider information up. If you have a really good source you could probably even start a blog and make some money!

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
  #7
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,505
vCash: 500
i'd say kane was better during his draft year - more skilled ... but bear in mind kane has a late birthday so had the equivalent of an extra year of development.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
  #8
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,517
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Believe what you want, but the fans in Halifax consider Drouin to be on par with MacKinnon this season, and some scouts are starting to see and agree. Saying he has zero chance is silly.
MacKinnon hasn't been that impressive, IMO.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
  #9
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 500
Kane was ranked in the 2nd round pre-2006/07.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:25 PM
  #10
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,130
vCash: 500
They're pretty close IMO, Kane put up slightly more gaudy numbers but he had Kostitsyn and Gagner, was 18 as opposed to 17 (Drouin played midget half of last year, he's very young) and the OHL was higher scoring that year than it has been in a very long time, a 16 year old Tavares scored 70 goals. Kane came out of nowhere much more but that doesn't mean his year was that much better.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
  #11
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
MacKinnon hasn't been that impressive, IMO.
He's in the fourth line for spott.

Also if you talk to majority of the Halifax fans all will say Nate is better than Drouin.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
  #12
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,517
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He's in the fourth line for spott.

Also if you talk to majority of the Halifax fans all will say Nate is better than Drouin.
I was talking about regular season.

MacKinnon's talent comes in bursts that does surpass Drouin, but I think Drouin has been more consistent, IMO.


S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
  #13
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I would love to get your source for how you know the inner workings of NHL teams scouting staffs. Seriously, people on this site eat that kind of insider information up. If you have a really good source you could probably even start a blog and make some money!
Like I said before no one is talking about droiun going #1, or anyone else besides Nathan, except guys on HF Boards who are looking at stats, Jr play and WJC.

NHL scouts and teams are looking at how everything transfers and Nathan is the consensus #1 at this point, and it's unlikely to change.

Jones is the only other serious contender for #1 IMO, after that there is the slightest of drop offs, both of those guys are franchise guys, everyone else in the top 10 are excellent prospects though.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
  #14
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
They're pretty close IMO, Kane put up slightly more gaudy numbers but he had Kostitsyn and Gagner, was 18 as opposed to 17 (Drouin played midget half of last year, he's very young) and the OHL was higher scoring that year than it has been in a very long time, a 16 year old Tavares scored 70 goals. Kane came out of nowhere much more but that doesn't mean his year was that much better.
OHL teams scored pretty much on par with those from the Q.

there was alot of high end talent and Kane didn't come out of nowhere, he was a leading player, the star by quite a bit actually, with the USNTDP Under-18 Team for 2 years before going the Major junior route.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
  #15
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I would love to get your source for how you know the inner workings of NHL teams scouting staffs. Seriously, people on this site eat that kind of insider information up. If you have a really good source you could probably even start a blog and make some money!
Bobby Mac in the WJC preview show said he polled 10 scouts and 7 had Nate and the other 3 had Jones.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
  #16
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,920
vCash: 133
Kind of crazy how this year people have named 4 different players as possible 1st selection.

Cant remember any other years like that, this draft is shaping up to be crazy good.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  #17
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Okay he has .01% chance then if the other 2 guys die.

Fans in Halifax are only looking at how each guy performs for their team and most people are offense driven in their view and don't look at intangibles and defense.

Nathan is going to go #1, there is no Larsson RNH debate going on this year among scouts and NHL teams.

Several other guys like Barkov could go ahead of Drouin as well, because size and position matter in the NHL.

Droiun is going to be a great player, much like Kane is but not the absolute centerpiece of a team, something Nathan and Seth both could be.
Isn't Kane a winger now? Why would you say position matters in the NHL if Kane was drafted 1st overall? Drouin can play C or W effectively. This is a non-argument on your part.

Anyone who's actually followed the Q this season will tell you Drouin has been better than Mack. It's not only about 4 WJC games. Stop thinking the world starts and ends with team Canada, it doesnt. Drouin has outplayed MacK since last year's playoffs.

Drouin seems like a cross between Tanguay and Kane. He needs to improve his strenght though and speed as well. Not sure if he'll make the NHL next year, gotta hit the gym. As for #1 overall, I doubt it, I see Jones going #1 but Drouin could slip into #2 if a team likes him enough. Barkov #3 and MacKinnon #4.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:32 PM
  #18
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,894
vCash: 50
Drouin has a lethal shot for his size. Joe Sakic calibre.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
  #19
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Drouin has a lethal shot for his size. Joe Sakic calibre.
Hahahaha. No, Just no. Easily his weakest offensive tool. Nice in-close backhand (his go-to deke), but otherwise, no.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
  #20
ReppingMTL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
People do realize that Mack is playing fourth line cause he can. Drouin is better than Mac offensively but what Mack brings to the team in terms of raw speed, tenacity, strength and D play are elite. There would be no point of taking Drouin, if you were to play him on the fourth line....
Following the Halifax boards, most of them agree as well that Mack is going over Drouin
Nonetheless, Drouin is a great prospect but for most people here, a four game sample size isn't enough to judge a prospect.

ReppingMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
  #21
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 1004
I am a Halifax guy. If i was to draft first overall i am taking Mackinnon. His game will translate better in the NHL. Drouin is a little on the small size too, he will have a tougher time winning puck battles against men. Mackinnon has a more well rounded game too. Everyone sees Drouin's numbers and assume he's better then Mackinnon this season. There are more intangibles then just putting up points. Mackinnon is more physical plus he plays center. Drouin is a great offensive talent but Mackinnon is a franchise type player who can play in all situations.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:48 PM
  #22
SympathyForTheDevils
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
I am a Halifax guy. If i was to draft first overall i am taking Mackinnon. His game will translate better in the NHL. Drouin is a little on the small size too, he will have a tougher time winning puck battles against men. Mackinnon has a more well rounded game too. Everyone sees Drouin's numbers and assume he's better then Mackinnon this season. There are more intangibles then just putting up points. Mackinnon is more physical plus he plays center. Drouin is a great offensive talent but Mackinnon is a franchise type player who can play in all situations.
Aren't Drouin and Mackinnon roughly the same size anyway?

For Drouin, my concern is that he's going to have to seriously commit to improving his speed and/or strength to be an elite NHL player. You can succed in the NHL as a shifty, smaller player, but hands and vision alone won't cut it.

For Mackinnon, my concern is his physical game. People keep bringing it up as a sign that he'll be the better NHLer, but I've seen enough high-compete physical players bust after being drafted high (especially in the Q) to know it's not always true. Being able to assert yourself physically against juniors is not the same as doing it in the NHL, especially since Mackinnon isn't exactly a giant. I'm a bit worried he might be less effective as a result (of course he still has many other tools to rely on anyway).

In the end, I'm fairly certain Mackinnon will be the better defensive player, but I think Drouin might have more offensive upside.

SympathyForTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  #23
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 450
I'm a Halifax guy.

I've been saying all year that MacKinnon and Drouin remind me a lot of Toews and Kane.

Who would you pick first, Toews or Kane?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
  #24
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I'm a Halifax guy.

I've been saying all year that MacKinnon and Drouin remind me a lot of Toews and Kane.

Who would you pick first, Toews or Kane?
Toews, AINEC.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM
  #25
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 450
Exactly.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.