HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
1) No-season: We luck out on some supposed draw.
2) Season : Tank

Has MacKinnon stock fallen since the start of the WJC?
Well he's not having a great tournament (magnified further by Drouin, who is), but I think enough people have seen what he can do throughout the year than to put a tremendous amount of stock into his play when he's on the fourth line. He's a role player for his team now, not the star, and that's a situation he probably hasn't been in for...most of his life, I would guess.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
IMO Jones and Barkov haven't shown any more than MacKinnon, and Monahan didn't make the team. Add the fact that Jones and Monahan are 11 months older than MacKinnon and Barkov, I don't think MacKinnon lost ground to anyone other than Drouin.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
My cousin trains there too. He mentionned seeing Letang, Drouin and someone from the Flyers. Giroux, Briere?

Anyway, it is very close between these guys. Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm all bring something different to the table. I just see Drouin as something Montreal doesnt need. Dont get me wong, I wouldnt be upset if Montreal selected him but I just think Barkov or Lindholm would be better for Montreal.

Collberg, Kristo and Gallagher are already all under 6" and skilled. Maybe not as skilled but still.
Voracek

Old
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO Jones and Barkov haven't shown any more than MacKinnon, and Monahan didn't make the team. Add the fact that Jones and Monahan are 11 months older than MacKinnon and Barkov, I don't think MacKinnon lost ground to anyone other than Drouin.
And Mack will play in the show next year, that's for sure, Drouin, that depends where he ends up. In Montréal or Détroit, forget it. Oilers, you betcha. That certainly adds value to Mackinnon. Just like Yakupov/Murray vs Galchenyuk/Rielly last year. The first two were surefire NHLers next year, while Gally and Rielly were more of long shots for the NHL rightaway, considering the major injury they had and the very little playing time they had the previous year, especially for Gally.
Quote:
1) No-season: We luck out on some supposed draw.
2) Season : Tank

Don't think his stock has fallen, it's a pretty hard tournament for 17 year olds, and both Jones and Mack are proving it. Drouin is really good at adapting to different linemates that it didn't matter to him. A tad more than a year ago, he was ripping Midget AAA apart, which is too often forgotten. Today he dominated on Canada's top line, beside ROTY candidate last year Nugent-Hopkins and should be NHLer Scheifele. That's pretty darn impressive. What is worrisome though for Mack, is that his good play seems correlated with Drouin, as for Drouin, he produces with whomever. True that Mack started out with the 4th line and Drouin on the third, but Mack today didn't help his case. He's frustrated, but he should use that to score goals, not take penalties. This way he'll garner more ice-time.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 12-31-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:33 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Voracek
Thats pretty cool seeing all those guys training in the same gym as you.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
rockjngo

Drouin pretty much secured himself top 3 after this WJC.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Drouin pretty much secured himself top 3 after this WJC.
There's a lot of hockey to be played.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
It's the opposite. If it wasn't for the floor, poor teams would spend even less than they have to, since the floor forces them to spend at least that amount. If it wasn't for the cap and floor, the difference in spending between the rich and poor teams would be lot more important. I guess that sarcasm smiley means you're just pulling my leg by faking ignorance, right?
Don't call me ,I'll call you,Okay?Anyway back to the draft and the possibilities created by any of the Top Six picks.MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin have the talent to change the face of the teams that draft them.Any of these three would be a blessing for the Habs future,Nathan on a line with Galchenyuk & Pacioretty would be just "Sic" like "The French Connection"was for Buffalo.Seth on the Habs defence with the best of our prospects,alongside Subban,Emelin,Diaz and Gorges again "Sic".Johnathan with Alex and Sebastian an uber-talented trio that could dazzle the fans every city they play in.Easy choice,"Not Likely"anyway you cut it the Habs can't lose picking one of the three.

Last edited by S Bah: 12-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
But flip side, if we were going to be really bad again like last season, it would suck to say finish bottom-5, then lose out on the draft lottery and end up picking 13th or something.
I can't imagine the new system would even come close to being that punitive. Most likely it's just a tweak 1 of 14 non-playoff teams that ''wins'' gets #1 instead of just moving up 5 spots.

If not, then I would imagine it will be similar to what the NBA does: ''3 winners'' from the 14 non-playoff teams and those teams are 1-2-3 in the draft as a result, so the most you can go back is 3 spots.

I can not believe I'm reading that Drouin is something we don't need... The guy is a 1st line talent for crying out loud.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I can't imagine the new system would even come close to being that punitive. Most likely it's just a tweak 1 of 14 non-playoff teams that ''wins'' gets #1 instead of just moving up 5 spots.

If not, then I would imagine it will be similar to what the NBA does: ''3 winners'' from the 14 non-playoff teams and those teams are 1-2-3 in the draft as a result, so the most you can go back is 3 spots.

I can not believe I'm reading that Drouin is something we don't need... The guy is a 1st line talent for crying out loud.
And MacKinnon, Lindholm and Barkov aren't? There style of play also translates better to the NHL.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
I don't think you can say we don't ''need'' any of them is my point. If we get the chance to get just one of them it's a ****ing awesome scenario.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think you can say we don't ''need'' any of them is my point. If we get the chance to get just one of them it's a ****ing awesome scenario.
Heck we need all of them! But seriously I miss hockey and am just nitpicking here. I would be really happy with Drouin but if you are looking solely at "needs" a gritty forward with 75 point potential(Lindholm) and big 6"3 center with great vision(Barkov) are players that Montreal is lacking.

I would be extremely happy with any of MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Jones, Shinkaruk and Ristolainen.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
le_sean

I'm curious as to how far Curtis Lazar will drop now. A very disappointing season for him so far.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm curious as to how far Curtis Lazar will drop now. A very disappointing season for him so far.
I'm not surprised, I was never a fan of him nor saw any major talent in him. Of all the top 10 players at the start of the year he was my only "meh" pick. He belongs in the NHL but not as an early 1st round pick.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:46 AM
hab 4ever

Same here about Lazar. Never say the skill level or upside one has to have to be considered a first round pick in such a loaded draft. Some team may still pick him in the second half of the season but I don't have him in my top-30.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:42 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Lazar will still go in the middle of the 1st round. One team always man-crushes on a player who competes in all 3 zones and has some offensive skill. He's not impressive this season but he'll be a player and some teams like the safe bets.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Thats pretty cool seeing all those guys training in the same gym as you.
Ya theres also Hudler, Armstrong, Prust, Pouliot, Rory Macdonald, Mike Ricci, Rick Hawn, and a bunch of other guys.
Its also crazy seeing what type of shape these guys are in.
Letang and Rory are pure beasts, whereas when Hudler and Armstrong first came in to the gym, it was sort of embarrassing to see what they were doing (or what they couldnt do)

Old
01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
S Bah

Depending upon which team wins the WJHC's 2013,Sweden could have as many as 6 picks in the 1st round,it's a coming out party for a lot of their players.Arvidsson has played really well at 5'9"-171lbs he may be worthy of a fifth pick.Lots of hockey to be played yet.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Ya theres also Hudler, Armstrong, Prust, Pouliot, Rory Macdonald, Mike Ricci, Rick Hawn, and a bunch of other guys.
Its also crazy seeing what type of shape these guys are in.
Letang and Rory are pure beasts, whereas when Hudler and Armstrong first came in to the gym, it was sort of embarrassing to see what they were doing (or what they couldnt do)
I would at least expect Armstrong to do most of the stuff at the gym. He supposed to be a strong guy in good shape.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I would at least expect Armstrong to do most of the stuff at the gym. He supposed to be a strong guy in good shape.
Armstrong's body has been through a lot: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ies-as-a-leaf/

Old
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
S Bah

If the Habs obtain a 2nd 1st round pick between 10-15 then Nicushkin would be the obvious choice IMO.A power forward with his size and skill doesn't come along every draft and with 3 yrs. seasoning in the KHL he shouldn't take long to adjust to the NA style of hockey.Say the Habs get the 3rd overall and the 12th,drafting Drouin if he's there and Nicushkin likewise,then Galchenyuk could have the perfect mix on a line with those two.Seems to me that either Gally and Drouin can adjust to any linemates and Nicushkin could really make room for them to perform their magic.In a perfect world where every other team knows their place and adjust their thinking,so our team gets what I want.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If the Habs obtain a 2nd 1st round pick between 10-15 then Nicushkin would be the obvious choice IMO.A power forward with his size and skill doesn't come along every draft and with 3 yrs. seasoning in the KHL he shouldn't take long to adjust to the NA style of hockey.Say the Habs get the 3rd overall and the 12th,drafting Drouin if he's there and Nicushkin likewise,then Galchenyuk could have the perfect mix on a line with those two.Seems to me that either Gally and Drouin can adjust to any linemates and Nicushkin could really make room for them to perform their magic.In a perfect world where every other team knows their place and adjust their thinking,so our team gets what I want.
Ahead of Erne or Duclair?

Old
01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ahead of Erne or Duclair?
Erne, coin flip. Probably Erne. Ahead of Duclair, yes.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Lazar will still go in the middle of the 1st round. One team always man-crushes on a player who competes in all 3 zones and has some offensive skill. He's not impressive this season but he'll be a player and some teams like the safe bets.
So true, JT Miller comes to mind.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Who does Erne compare to ? Patches ?

Closed Thread