HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 04:03 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet, with not enough games, they decided to stick with who they had. Kerdiles didn't have enough games played for them. No suspension, more games. More games, clearly an obvious choice. But frankly, he would have been a choice for me even with less games.
I don't know what you're trying to say. Not enough games for USA Hockey? He's played U18. If you mean he hasn't played enough games to be ready for the tournament, he's been playing for Wisconsin since November 30th. He was ready, willing and able. And needed to be honest.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Small Brain Presence

Can't believe some of the comments on here.

U.S. is an "awful" team (you know, the one that outshot Canada)

U.S. is "one of the weaker teams" (kind of like Latvia lite)

U.S. has two potential NHLers.

The people who said these things have to be either kidding or incredibly stupid.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post

The people who said these things have to be either kidding or incredibly stupid.
Strong username to post content ratio

Old
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Wow! I guess some of you are indirectly calling me out based on what I posted earlier today.

Yes, he's putting up points. Yes, his linemates have sucked. Yes, he should be playing center. Yes, Housley has barely played him.

The bottom line, to me, is this: Against Germany, in the first 25 minutes, he was dominant. Everything was on display: the great shot, the terrific passing, the ''predator'' in the offensive zone as some have called him here, etc.

He hasn't been at that level since. Not even close.

Saying it is not ''a sign that we'll run him out of town'' or that ''Montreal fans are impossible to please'' or ''we are being too hard on him.''

It's just a fair assessment of his play right now. Period.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Wow! I guess some of you are indirectly calling me out based on what I posted earlier today.

Yes, he's putting up points. Yes, his linemates have sucked. Yes, he should be playing center. Yes, Housley has barely played him.

The bottom line, to me, is this: Against Germany, in the first 25 minutes, he was dominant. Everything was on display: the great shot, the terrific passing, the ''predator'' in the offensive zone as some have called him here, etc.

Saying it is not ''a sign that we'll run him out of town'' or that ''Montreal fans are impossible to please'' or ''we are being too hard on him.''

This.

Galchenyuk has certainly had his moments, but he hasn't been playing as good as he should be.

Don't get me wrong, his production is nice and in all honesty he's exceeded my expectations in that aspect. However, his overall play has not. He's struggled to put together a consistent effort shift after shift and has not been engaging himself in the play.

His linemates suck, his coach sucks, and so does his play. He can't change the first two, but he can change his own play.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
I don't know what you're trying to say. Not enough games for USA Hockey? He's played U18. If you mean he hasn't played enough games to be ready for the tournament, he's been playing for Wisconsin since November 30th. He was ready, willing and able. And needed to be honest.
He played 6 games with Wisconsin. 6 games. They had to beleive he wasn't ready enough 'cause he was invited to their evalution camp and was clearly good enough to be on that team. Or he looked incredibly awful during the said camp which doesn't seem like it was the case whatsoever.

Quote:

US has been awful offensively against power teams. Outshooting a team is not necessarily a sign of being a powerhouse...I keep reading this here....Nobody is also saying they are Latvia like. As far as the potential NHLers, well to each their analysis. I also don't believe it. Gibson, Trouba, Galchenyuk are the obvious names. Then you throw in Miller who will make it, Hartman who will also make it, Jones, I have a lot of faith in Reilly despite his size and a few 4th line pluggers along the way, you might reach close to 8-10. But it comes down to much lower if you count potential very good and important ones. But to each their own analysis.
Quote:

Can't say this better myself. I remember one of the greatest poster here first tweet about Gally during that tournament that he was about to bash Housley for making Kuraly and Barber the 2 players Gally was playing with, yet, they immediately scored. Well, the idea is that it was still a bad idea, just that the opposition made it look like a good one. But he has the number of points he has. Kudos to him, a good tournament so far....that can only improve let's wish if Housley gives him more icetime on a different line combination.

Hey Dubnyk looked better than Bernier at the Spengler Cup....who thinks he's the best goalie for the future?

Old
12-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Their offense is
Second best offense in their group and the tournament, only 2 goals fewer than Canada .

Old
12-31-2012, 05:52 PM
jphabs

Quote:

I don't know that I'm incredibly stupid but I did watch the games and this is what I saw from the US team.

- a lot of Gomezitis, ie gaining the zone at high speed with tunnel vision
- a lot of small percentage "junior check me out" plays that almost work but never do
- I stopped counting the number of times Gally was opened and the puck carrier (usually a forward) tried some of the previous 2 items, and failed.
- line usage and game flow control very suspect by Housley. Rolling 4 lines like a robot and no adjustment, no game management.

To be fair, "awful" is a strong word. Gibson has been great, and the defense good, particularily Trouba, of course.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
He's struggled to put together a consistent effort shift after shift and has not been engaging himself in the play.

His linemates suck, his coach sucks, and so does his play. He can't change the first two, but he can change his own play.
Nice view of things.

I really think "expecting"/asking Galchenyuk to change his play while considering the fact that his linemates are horrible and the coach seems to only want to play around with the Miller and Trocheck lines is akin to asking Gally to swim to shore with two anchors tied to his ankles. If he's able to, that's splendid, but it's kinda difficult to do [to the point where it's unrealistic to expect him to raise his play significantly]... Heck, it explains why it's hard for him to become engaged in the play when so many things are stacked against him.

I'd be interested in knowing what specific things Gally can work on or could be expected to do (I know there are some) given his linemates (as opposed to things relative to an ideal situation where Gally has decent linemates or a coach willing to shuffle his line).

Old
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
smitty10

Love watching Gally play. I don't necessarily like how the coach is using him (he should be seeing more time on the ice), but it's easy to see why he's such a special player. Just a fantastic talent.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Second best offense in their group and the tournament, only 2 goals fewer than Canada .
In this tournament, not all goals are equal...

USA vs Germany & Slovakia: 17 goals
USA vs Canada & Russia: 2 goals

Old
12-31-2012, 06:33 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
In this tournament, not all goals are equal...

USA vs Germany & Slovakia: 17 goals
USA vs Canada & Russia: 2 goals
True, but I don't think it takes away from his point totals. As an 18 year old in this tournament his totals are impressive. Especially considering Slovakia isn't a bad team at all, USA just made them look that way.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
David_99

18 years old. 2nd overall in points (2nd only to the Nuge) in a disappointing tournament so far... I'd love to see his totals with better linemates and more ice time.

Thus far, the most part of his 14 mins per game have been spent either chasing the puck or waiting for passes. I'd love to see him in a talented, puck-possession-coaching-style team.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
True, but I don't think it takes away from his point totals. As an 18 year old in this tournament his totals are impressive. Especially considering Slovakia isn't a bad team at all, USA just made them look that way.
Agreed. People seem to overlook the fact he's only 18. At their age, one year makes a significant difference.

Same goes with the criticism of Jones and Barkov, who are only 17, on the main boards.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
This.

Galchenyuk has certainly had his moments, but he hasn't been playing as good as he should be.

Don't get me wrong, his production is nice and in all honesty he's exceeded my expectations in that aspect. However, his overall play has not. He's struggled to put together a consistent effort shift after shift and has not been engaging himself in the play.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
18 years old. 2nd overall in points (2nd only to the Nuge) in a disappointing tournament so far... I'd love to see his totals with better linemates and more ice time.

Thus far, the most part of his 14 mins per game have been spent either chasing the puck or waiting for passes. I'd love to see him in a talented, puck-possession-coaching-style team.
Absolute truth in here.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Nice view of things.

I really think "expecting"/asking Galchenyuk to change his play while considering the fact that his linemates are horrible and the coach seems to only want to play around with the Miller and Trocheck lines is akin to asking Gally to swim to shore with two anchors tied to his ankles. If he's able to, that's splendid, but it's kinda difficult to do [to the point where it's unrealistic to expect him to raise his play significantly]... Heck, it explains why it's hard for him to become engaged in the play when so many things are stacked against him.

I'd be interested in knowing what specific things Gally can work on or could be expected to do (I know there are some) given his linemates (as opposed to things relative to an ideal situation where Gally has decent linemates or a coach willing to shuffle his line).
Maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to raise his play significantly, but it is certainly not to expect him to elevate his level of play. Galchenyuk one of the most offensively dynamic players in the entire CHL and he hasn't been creating. When you're that skilled, you can carry a line. He hasn't done that. The only times he's looked dangerous are the shifts where he's gotten a point. I think the fact that he has 7 points while playing as bad as he has is a testament to how skilled he actually is.

Now I certainly don't want to put the blame all on him. Housley makes Jacques Beaulieu look like a great coach. I don't know why he hasn't recognized that the Galchenyuk-Karuly-Barber line has zero chemistry. Barber has actually played his best hockey when he's been away from the line and don't get me started on Karuly. There was one moment in today's game where Galchenyuk started the cycle and went to get open. By the time Galchenyuk got open, Karuly blindly threw a pass around the boards thinking Galchenyuk was still there. Personally, I really liked the Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Lucia line that played the first Pre-Tournament game. Trocheck and Galchenyuk didn't really look very good in their Pre-Tournament game, but I think their styles would mesh well. I'd like to see a Galchenyuk-Trocheck-Lucia/Miller line.

The individual things that Galchenyuk could work on would be his shot, passing, and stickhandling. His shots are always slightly high and wide, his passes are too powerful and a bit high, and he's stickhandling a little too much (today specifically). Today he had two turnovers that wouldn't have happened if he just kept things simple. I want to say that his passing and shooting can be attributed to the larger ice, but I'm not sure if that is case. The circle (where he likes to shot from) is located in the exact same spot as it is on smaller ice. Maybe his passing is affected though. Sure his Karuly and Barber aren't getting him to the puck, but great player recognize that and find a way to get open so they can. Galchenyuk hasn't been doing a great job of getting open.

The biggest thing that he has to work on though is his mentality on the ice. It's never ever been a problem, until now. He's not backchecking at all, his defensive game is non-existent, and doesn't seem very willing in engaging along the boards. He usually never has a problem doing any of those things.

This is the worst stretch of hockey he's played since the beginning of the season. After that fifth game I don't recall him having two poor games in a row, he's had three now. I have this weird feeling were going to be seeing a big game from Galchenyuk soon though. You could see the relief on his face after he buried that goal late in the game.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:45 PM
OneSharpMarble

I find it interesting how Trouba is now the love child of Jesus and Superman and Galchenyuk is some lazy leech but on 3 of Troubas 4 goals Gally has assists. Go figure.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:09 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to raise his play significantly, but it is certainly not to expect him to elevate his level of play. Galchenyuk one of the most offensively dynamic players in the entire CHL and he hasn't been creating. When you're that skilled, you can carry a line. He hasn't done that. The only times he's looked dangerous are the shifts where he's gotten a point. I think the fact that he has 7 points while playing as bad as he has is a testament to how skilled he actually is.

Now I certainly don't want to put the blame all on him. Housley makes Jacques Beaulieu look like a great coach. I don't know why he hasn't recognized that the Galchenyuk-Karuly-Barber line has zero chemistry. Barber has actually played his best hockey when he's been away from the line and don't get me started on Karuly. There was one moment in today's game where Galchenyuk started the cycle and went to get open. By the time Galchenyuk got open, Karuly blindly threw a pass around the boards thinking Galchenyuk was still there. Personally, I really liked the Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Lucia line that played the first Pre-Tournament game. Trocheck and Galchenyuk didn't really look very good in their Pre-Tournament game, but I think their styles would mesh well. I'd like to see a Galchenyuk-Trocheck-Lucia/Miller line.

The individual things that Galchenyuk could work on would be his shot, passing, and stickhandling. His shots are always slightly high and wide, his passes are too powerful and a bit high, and he's stickhandling a little too much (today specifically). Today he had two turnovers that wouldn't have happened if he just kept things simple. I want to say that his passing and shooting can be attributed to the larger ice, but I'm not sure if that is case. The circle (where he likes to shot from) is located in the exact same spot as it is on smaller ice. Maybe his passing is affected though. Sure his Karuly and Barber aren't getting him to the puck, but great player recognize that and find a way to get open so they can. Galchenyuk hasn't been doing a great job of getting open.

The biggest thing that he has to work on though is his mentality on the ice. It's never ever been a problem, until now. He's not backchecking at all, his defensive game is non-existent, and doesn't seem very willing in engaging along the boards. He usually never has a problem doing any of those things.

This is the worst stretch of hockey he's played since the beginning of the season. After that fifth game I don't recall him having two poor games in a row, he's had three now. I have this weird feeling were going to be seeing a big game from Galchenyuk soon though. You could see the relief on his face after he buried that goal late in the game.
He looks uninspired and a bit disinterested to me. I'm not sure why, but unlike others on here, I don't feel this means anything in the grand scheme of things. Three games is nothing. Gally is a gem. This tournament will have have zero impact on him for the future.

I disagree with posters saying the US is below average and all that non sense as well. They're the toughest team to beat imo. A good game instead of an outstanding game from Subban and they could have already beaten us. It was certainly no walk in the park.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:09 PM
pcamp

Quote:

Always great analysis That, keep up the great work.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Seriously this is one of those arguments where all sides are right.

I'm as big of a homer as there is and I can say Galchenyuk has not been playing that well which should make everyone ecstatic on this board since he's 2nd in points anyways.

Like someone else said Housley's a problem as well as his linemates but that doesn't mean Galchenyuk isn't playing great himself.

I don't know why people always seem to think there has to be one and only reason for something.

Even with all this his passing is great. Very smart passer. Sometimes too smart for his linemates.

He very well could be nursing a minor injury because he doesn't look too fast out there relative to everyone else.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Regarding the US team... They have the Goaltending and the Defence to compete with the best. For example, Trouba and Gibson have been very impressive... But they just don't have the offensive firepower of the other top countries. That's been demonstrated by a completely impotent attack except against clearly inferior competition...

No one on the US team except Galchenyuk would even get a sniff in a Top-6 Forward role on Canada. And unless some players like Gaudreau, have brought their "C" game, none would even make the 3rd line. There's no RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, Schiefle, etc.. on the US team to play with.

Galchenyuk needs to manufacture plays from nothing. That's not an excuse for him. That's his lot for this tournament. He needs to learn how to operate under those less than optimal conditions.

As for Housley, he's been rolling 4 lines. He's not giving top-player minutes to Galchenyuk. He's likely trying to get 3 other forwards to develop offensive synergy and giving them enough icetime to get going. Then he hopes Galchenyuk can do something with their other 2 offensive forwards. He bets he has a better chance to win with this team by spreading the offence than concentrating all their offence on one line.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I find it interesting how Trouba is now the love child of Jesus and Superman and Galchenyuk is some lazy leech but on 3 of Troubas 4 goals Gally has assists. Go figure.
Not to mention a couple of brutal giveaways and a stupid penalty in the Canada game. Trouba is getting far too much credit right now.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:46 AM
bsl

Quote:

Jesus. The kid is 18 years old, playing against the very best players in the world his own age, including some NHL level players, far from home, and you go on and on. Relax. I really can't stand massive analysis of 18 year old players. He's not a pro, he's a kid. At that age, it's skate, shoot, pass hard. That's what it should be. That's all.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:26 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

[...]

Thanks for the insight into his play over the past few games. Hopefully he finds the confidence/will to step it up in the medal round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Jesus. The kid is 18 years old, playing against the very best players in the world his own age, including some NHL level players, far from home, and you go on and on. Relax. I really can't stand massive analysis of 18 year old players. He's not a pro, he's a kid. At that age, it's skate, shoot, pass hard. That's what it should be. That's all.
I asked for That's comments and he kindly obliged.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I read the topic so I know what the mood is...

But for a guy whom many of you see as having a bad tourney, he's sure putting points on the sheet. I hope he has lots of seasons with us that are as bad this tourney has been, he can play bad and be second in scoring overall ANYTIME on my team. Better than the ****ing plug who plays great and finishes the year with 15 points.

Closed Thread