HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Loui Eriksson Vs Patrick Marleau

View Poll Results: Which for 1 year?
Patrick Marleau 33 42.31%
Loui Eriksson 45 57.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2012, 09:18 PM
  #1
megajake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
Loui Eriksson Vs Patrick Marleau

Who?1 season

megajake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:30 PM
  #2
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Can't go wrong with either, but I picked Marleau. Close offensively, but Marleau is faster and better defensively.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:35 PM
  #3
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
 
DuckEatinShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,420
vCash: 50
Both players are very good offensively
Both players are exceptional defensively

Marleau is bigger and faster but Eriksson brings it every game.

Can't go wrong with either, so I'll be a homer and vote Marleau.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
  #4
OzzyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
For 1 season, I'll take the guy with 40goal potential: Marleau.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
  #5
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Can't go wrong with either, but I picked Marleau. Close offensively, but Marleau is faster and better defensively.
Marleau is not better defensively that Eriksson.

CRSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:48 PM
  #6
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 0
Eriksson. But it's more or less a toss up.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:56 PM
  #7
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
Marleau is not better defensively that Eriksson.
One goes against top competition every season and excels. The other doesn't.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:04 PM
  #8
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
One goes against top competition every season and excels. The other doesn't.
They play in the same division. I don't understand your argument.

CRSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:12 PM
  #9
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
They play in the same division. I don't understand your argument.
Top competition meaning the other team's best lines night-in and night-out. Eriksson is definitely no slouch defensively, but he isn't better than Marleau. Marleau faces the other team's top lines, whereas over the years, players like Burish, Ott, Dvorak, Morrow, and Fiddler have been facing the other team's top lines for Dallas.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:20 PM
  #10
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Top competition meaning the other team's best lines night-in and night-out. Eriksson is definitely no slouch defensively, but he isn't better than Marleau. Marleau faces the other team's top lines, whereas over the years, players like Burish, Ott, Dvorak, Morrow, and Fiddler have been facing the other team's top lines for Dallas.
Really? You don't have much knowledge of the Stars obviously.

Loui Eriksson often does play against the other team's top line.

CRSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:23 PM
  #11
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon
 
kingsboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 500
I don't like playing against either. So I guess I'll go with Marleau. Can't go wrong with either of them.

kingsboy11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:23 PM
  #12
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Top competition meaning the other team's best lines night-in and night-out. Eriksson is definitely no slouch defensively, but he isn't better than Marleau. Marleau faces the other team's top lines, whereas over the years, players like Burish, Ott, Dvorak, Morrow, and Fiddler have been facing the other team's top lines for Dallas.
Marleau's speed makes him better defensively at 5 on 5, but Eriksson's elite anticipation makes him a force on the penalty kill. Saying Marleau is definitively better defensively because of even strength line matchups is a lot like saying Eriksson is better offensively because he had more assists last season. It conveniently ignores the greatest strength of the player that isn't on your favorite team.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:26 PM
  #13
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
Really? You don't have much knowledge of the Stars obviously.

Loui Eriksson often does play against the other team's top line.
Mix of eyes and advanced stats. Corsi rel Qoc is a very good indicator of competition quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Marleau's speed makes him better defensively at 5 on 5, but Eriksson's elite anticipation makes him a force on the penalty kill. Saying Marleau is definitively better defensively because of even strength line matchups is a lot like saying Eriksson is better offensively because he had more assists last season. It conveniently ignores the greatest strength of the player that isn't on your favorite team.
Marleau is consistently one of the Sharks best PKers every season as well. Erikson has better anticipation, but Marleau has size along the boards and is one of the fastest forwards in the league.

But yes, my initial argument was only 5 on 5 since that's what the players play at for the majority of the game. 16+ minutes of ES vs ~2 minutes of PK time at most. ES play should hold more weight.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:34 PM
  #14
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Marleau is consistently one of the Sharks best PKers every season as well. Erikson has better anticipation, but Marleau has size along the boards and is one of the fastest forwards in the league.

But yes, my initial argument was only 5 on 5 since that's what the players play at for the majority of the game. 16+ minutes of ES vs ~2 minutes of PK time at most.
Similarly, Eriksson is hardly a one-trick pony in that regard. His coach may choose to employ a different line-matching strategy, something over which Eriksson has little control, but he does exceptionally well at defending the less talented players that he does match up against. It's also worth noting that Marleau plays with two other respectable two-way forwards in Havlat and Clowe, whereas Eriksson often had to cover for the defensive oversights of his line-mates, Ribeiro and Morrow.

Just some things to consider when you're analyzing those advanced stats.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
  #15
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Similarly, Eriksson is hardly a one-trick pony in that regard. His coach may choose to employ a different line-matching strategy, something over which Eriksson has little control, but he does exceptionally well at defending the less talented players that he does match up against. It's also worth noting that Marleau plays with two other respectable two-way forwards in Havlat and Clowe, whereas Eriksson often had to cover for the defensive oversights of his line-mates, Ribeiro and Morrow..
I wouldn't call Morrow or Ribeiro poor defensively either. In Morrow's case, he faced top competition the season before last.
I'll give you Havlat (though Marleau's been facing top competition for years with the likes of Bernier, Setoguchi, etc), but Clowe is beyond horrible defensively. Really, Clowe is terrible defensively.

And yeah, I realize match-ups are up to the coaches (Marleau played on the shut-down line with Wilson, now Todd McLellan just does power vs power). Eriksson isn't bad defensively, I'm just saying Marleau goes up against top competition night-in and night-out and still puts up similar offensive numbers to Eriksson. Therefore, I'd give the edge to Marleau. Eriksson could very well be great defensively against top lines as well, but we won't know until he does it.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:44 PM
  #16
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Morrow was horrendous defensively last season. Sure, he was great in his prime, perhaps even the best backchecker in the entire league, but that was several back injuries ago. He's not that player any more. Any Stars fan will tell you that. Ribeiro is good defensively when he focuses on it, but he's prone to turning the puck over and directing his attention to the rafters instead of skating back to help his team.

I didn't realize Clowe was so bad defensively. He always seems to play a tight game against the Stars, but I guess every modern Shark does. (I say modern because Campbell used to be good for a couple of free goals every game for the Stars.)

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:46 PM
  #17
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Morrow was horrendous defensively last season. Sure, he was great in his prime, perhaps even the best backchecker in the entire league, but that was several back injuries ago. He's not that player any more.
Yeah, I was referring to Morrow from season's past, not the most recent ones. But Eriksson didn't play much with Morrow last season did he? I thought his linemates were primarily a mix of Ryder, Benn, Ribeiro, and Ott.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:54 PM
  #18
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Heh I forgot all about the Eriksson - Ribeiro - Ryder line. Last season was a really long time ago..

Yeah that was definitely the most common ES line including Eriksson, but Ryder isn't particularly strong at defending either. Benn and Eriksson took a few shifts together here or there, I think they were penciled in together for a couple of games last season, but when they were paired together, they did skate with the other teams' top lines and usually dominated possession while they were at it.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:27 AM
  #19
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,064
vCash: 157
Eriksson and Marleau are a wash for one season.

I would sure as hell not trade Eriksson for Marleau. And if it weren't for the fact that Marleau's been with San Jose his whole career, I'd be surprised if they'd turn down a straight up offer. But the OP didn't ask for value.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:29 AM
  #20
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,412
vCash: 5555
Marleau, but it's really, really close. Going forward it's easily Eriksson.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:52 AM
  #21
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,131
vCash: 137
Eriksson because i couldn't decide.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:55 AM
  #22
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,894
vCash: 500
Eriksson, he's one of my favourite players

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:22 AM
  #23
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
Eriksson, think he's ahead at this point.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:40 AM
  #24
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,224
vCash: 873
Chose Marleau. Very good poll btw.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
  #25
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
They are similar players in many respects: very good offensively, solid defensively/PK, durable, good size (although Marleau has 25# on Loui). I picked Marleau based on his elite speed, goal scoring ability and ability to play center (and not sure if Loui plays C at all, but Marleau is a natural center playing wing).

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.