HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who were your favorite players of the 90s?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2012, 12:26 PM
  #26
McGuillicuddy
Registered User
 
McGuillicuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Surprised I had to scroll so far down the page before Gretzky came up!

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:23 PM
  #27
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 50
Jagr
Lemieux
Hasek
Forsberg
Selanne
Bure
Gretzky
Fedorov
Kariya
Francis

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:53 PM
  #28
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,052
vCash: 500
Felix Potvin
Eric Lindros
Paul Kariya
Mats Sundin
Pavel Bure
Joe Sakic
Doug Gilmour
Mario Lemieux
Curtis Joseph
Bryan Berard

Something like that?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
  #29
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,022
vCash: 500
Top 5:

1) Yzerman
2) Sakic
3) Bourque
4) Jagr
5) Blake

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:16 PM
  #30
tombombadil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Shanahan-Forsberg-Palffy
Gilmour, Bure
Daneyko, Foote, Vladdy, Kasparaitis, Ulfie, Stevens, Ohlund
Hasek, Hasek, Hasek, and Hasek

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
  #31
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Also, anyone who beat the ever living **** out of Barnaby. Either him, Kevin Stevens or Simon would probably be my most hated player/s in league history


Last edited by davebenj: 12-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
  #32
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 400
1. John LeClair
2. Mark Recchi
3. Eric Lindros
4. Wayne Gretzky
5. Patrick Roy
6. Peter Forsberg
7. Ron Hextall
8. Rod Brind'Amour
9. Dominik Hasek
10. Chris Pronger

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
  #33
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 500
Chelios, Roenick, Belfour, Savard, Amonte, Mogilny, Yzerman, Fedorov, Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Sundin, Fleury, Hasek

As for Modano I can't really put my finger on it, but he just never caught my attention was I was younger- I remember several of my friends were huge fans of his, but he was always just another great player in my mind. I didn't dislike him at all, I think he just was generally not on my radar either way, even though I knew him to be a great player.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:32 PM
  #34
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,368
vCash: 500
Bure
Mogilny
Fedorov
Lindros
Kariya
Selanne
Jagr

Basically when I was a little kid in the 90's if you had insane skills, I was a huge fan.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:22 AM
  #35
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,854
vCash: 500
You guys have already mentioned my top-20!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Bure
MacInnis
Forsberg
Yzerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe
... Randy McKay.... Owen Nolan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur
Trevor Linden...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany
Mine's were Kamensky,... Kariya was fun to watch and just a nice guy who played for Canada as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj
Favorites: Stu Barnes,... Claude Lemieux, Flatley,... Claude Lapointe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Sharifjanov
my top 15... momesso... peca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe
...Carbonneau...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman
6. Hasek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexleyspeed
... Mike Ricci... Kenny Jonsson...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mullet
... Pat Lafontaine...

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:29 AM
  #36
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,854
vCash: 500
Two of the guys I always appreciated whom you guys missed, HHOFers to boot:

DINO!



Classy Joe!


VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
  #37
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,017
vCash: 500
About the best order I can do:

Gretzky - Just loved him till the day he stopped playing

Lemieux

Yzerman - He was a skilled player which so much heart. Loved it when he finally won, for him, not so much the Wings

Bourque

Coffey

Fleury - Always had a sentimental adoration for him, still do

Lindros - Let's face it, we all thought he was the second coming in the 1990s. Didn't like what he did to Quebec though

Jagr - Appreciated him later in the decade especially, but he was like a magnet to watch

MacInnis

Leclair

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
  #38
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
No particular order.....

Peter Bondra
Scott Stevens
Patrick Roy
Peter Forsberg
Adam Oates
Olaf Kolzig
Wayne Gretzky
Ray Bourque
Eddie Belfour
Mark Messier

SaintPatrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
  #39
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Forgot about Bondra. He was literally the only Capital besides Kolzig to play for them I liked from the early 90's when I started watching hockey till he left the team. Heck, I rooted for the Penguins against the Capitals when they would meet in the playoffs but it was just impossible to dislike Bondra. He was a total class act also.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
  #40
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Forgot about Bondra. He was literally the only Capital besides Kolzig to play for them I liked from the early 90's when I started watching hockey till he left the team. Heck, I rooted for the Penguins against the Capitals when they would meet in the playoffs but it was just impossible to dislike Bondra. He was a total class act also.
The forgotten truly elite player from that decade IMO. Pavel Bure lite, but still incredible skating and goal scorer.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:16 AM
  #41
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
Hextall, Vernon, Roy,
Ranford, Belfour, Irbe,
Barrasso, Essensa, Potvin,
Khmylev.

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  #42
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
As Bruins:
- Cam Neely
- Ray Bourque
- Nevin Markwart (more an 80's guy, only played about 40+ games in the 90's before he was let go and then retired)
- Brent Hughes
- Adam Oates
- Don Sweeney (ironically, he has the most PIM's for the Bruins during this decade.....I never would've guess it)
- Reggie Lemelin
- Kyle McLaren
- Lyndon Byers
- Dave Poulin
- Dave Reid
- Rob DiMaio
- Jason Allison
- Darren Van Impe
- Ted Donato

the Rest:
- Theo Fleury
- Ron Francis
- Domink Hasek
- Rod Brind'Amour
- Pat Verbeek & Rick Tocchet (except when we played against them)
- Adam Oates (never should've been traded....a classic Sinden ego-boner)
- Bobby Holik
- Geoff Courtnall (another one that got away)
- Owen Nolan (I don't know why but I'd follow him in the boxscores)
- Gary Roberts
- Dougie Gilmour (was a pain in the ass but he gave 100% every tine I watched him)
- Ken Daneyko (don't know why but I liked the slug)
- Steve Duschene
- Petr Svoboda (despite being a Canadien)
- Kjell Samuelsson (liked this big slug too.....was like a more effective Hal Gill)
- Viacheslav Fetisov (didn't see much of him but he just looked and oozed being a hockey player)
- Greg Hawgood (loved him as a brief Bruin)
- Sean O'Donnell (another mistake letting him go after the first lock-out)
- Mike Ricci (loved/hated that whiney toothless grin/grimace...a good pest)

Loved to hate (for obvious reasons)
- Ulf Samuelsson (still public enemy #1 in New England)
- Claude Lemieux
- Esa Tikkanen
- Dale Hunter
- Tie Domi (won over the hearts of many New Englanders when he cold-cocked Samuelsson)
- Scott Stevens (like Lemieux and Tikkanen, I begrudgingly respect him)
- Darius Kasparitis

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
  #43
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Such fond memories of growing up to NHL on Fox. Richter was my idol. Undersized goalies FTW.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
  #44
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
As Bruins:
- Cam Neely
- Ray Bourque
- Nevin Markwart (more an 80's guy, only played about 40+ games in the 90's before he was let go and then retired)
- Brent Hughes
- Adam Oates
- Don Sweeney (ironically, he has the most PIM's for the Bruins during this decade.....I never would've guess it)
- Reggie Lemelin
- Kyle McLaren
- Lyndon Byers
- Dave Poulin
- Dave Reid
- Rob DiMaio
- Jason Allison
- Darren Van Impe
- Ted Donato

the Rest:
- Theo Fleury
- Ron Francis
- Domink Hasek
- Rod Brind'Amour
- Pat Verbeek & Rick Tocchet (except when we played against them)
- Adam Oates (never should've been traded....a classic Sinden ego-boner)- Bobby Holik
- Geoff Courtnall (another one that got away)
- Owen Nolan (I don't know why but I'd follow him in the boxscores)
- Gary Roberts
- Dougie Gilmour (was a pain in the ass but he gave 100% every tine I watched him)
- Ken Daneyko (don't know why but I liked the slug)
- Steve Duschene
- Petr Svoboda (despite being a Canadien)
- Kjell Samuelsson (liked this big slug too.....was like a more effective Hal Gill)
- Viacheslav Fetisov (didn't see much of him but he just looked and oozed being a hockey player)
- Greg Hawgood (loved him as a brief Bruin)
- Sean O'Donnell (another mistake letting him go after the first lock-out)
- Mike Ricci (loved/hated that whiney toothless grin/grimace...a good pest)

Loved to hate (for obvious reasons)
- Ulf Samuelsson (still public enemy #1 in New England)
- Claude Lemieux
- Esa Tikkanen
- Dale Hunter
- Tie Domi (won over the hearts of many New Englanders when he cold-cocked Samuelsson)
- Scott Stevens (like Lemieux and Tikkanen, I begrudgingly respect him)
- Darius Kasparitis
Actually, one of Sinden's best trades.

Cemented the top draft pick (Joe Thornton) while acquiring 21 year-olds Jason Allison and Anson Carter. Unfortunately, also got Jim Carey, who turned into a booby prize.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:43 AM
  #45
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Favorite non-wings of the '90s:

Ulf Samuelsson
Jay Wells
Ziggy Palffy
Doug Weight
Peter Bondra
Dominik Hasek
Mikhail Shtalenkov
Teppo Numminen
Daren Puppa
Bob Probert
Mike Peluso
Stephen Leach
Travis Green
Darius Kasparaitis

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:27 AM
  #46
Intact
Registered User
 
Intact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
1. Sakic
2. Kariya
3. Sundin
4. Fedorov
5. Yzerman

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:45 AM
  #47
Iceonfire
Registered User
 
Iceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
1. Sakic
2. Smyth
3. Coffey
4. Lemieux both Mario and Claude
5. Patrick Roy

IMO, Eberle is the Sakic of this generation.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:59 AM
  #48
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Non Blues or Flyers players my top 6 would be

Dominick Hasek
Darius Kasperitas
Scott Stevens
Bobby Holik
Claude Lemiuex
Rob Niedermayer

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:59 AM
  #49
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
1. Wendel Clark - shocked not to see him on any lists
2. Chris Chelios
3. Eric Lindros
4. Jeremy Roenick
5. Doug Gilmour
6. Scott Stevens
7. Curtis Joesph
8. Cam Neely
9. Gary Roberts
10 Brendan Shanahan

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
  #50
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
1. Wendel Clark - shocked not to see him on any lists
2. Chris Chelios
3. Eric Lindros
4. Jeremy Roenick
5. Doug Gilmour
6. Scott Stevens
7. Curtis Joesph
8. Cam Neely
9. Gary Roberts
10 Brendan Shanahan
Probably because he never actually did anything noticeable during the most of the 90s. He was great at the earliest part of the decade but was injured alot.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.