HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would Olympic rosters look without NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
  #1
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,643
vCash: 500
How would Olympic rosters look without NHL?

Predict the rosters of Canada,Russia,Sweden etc without NHL
To clarify this is a hypothetical question of what if NHL doesnt commit to Olympics.


Last edited by BalticWarrior: 01-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.
BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
  #2
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Petr Nedved could play for Canada and Czech and be a double medalist!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:16 AM
  #3
Mirinho
Registered User
 
Mirinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
SWE, RUS, FIN and CZE will have EHT rosters without NHL players ofc

CZE in 2014:
Kvapil - Klepiš - Gulaš
Koukal - Novotný - Průcha
Vondrka - Rolinek - Irgl
T. Rachůnek - Petružálek - J. Svoboda
Vrána

Němec - Blaťák
Čáslava - Nakládal
Krejčík - Novák
Krajíček

Salák
Kovář/Štěpánek

fast roster with names from my head ...

well, without NHL players it will be quality EHT ... I'll watch it in TV but it won't be serious hockey tournament

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
  #4
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
Ekblad and McDavid lead Canada to Gold!

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:49 AM
  #5
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: mongolia
Country: Laos
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Dallman, Lindstrom, Radulov /done

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:51 AM
  #6
James Franco
Registered User
 
James Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Do AHLers count?

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:07 AM
  #7
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
Do AHLers count?
I would hope so, otherwise the US might finish last.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:44 AM
  #8
ES
Registered User
 
ES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 500
Quickly looking through top European leagues, Canada probably something like this. Don't rely on the lines that much, but more to the names available.

Jeff Glass
Michael Garnett

Kevin Dallman - Kurtis Foster
Richie Regehr - Kyle Cumiskey
Travis Roche - Cory Murphy

Ramzi Abid-Stephen Dixon-Bud Holloway
Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Glen Metropolit-Eric Fehr
Randy Robitaille-Justin Hodgman-Christian Dubé
Geoff Platt-Byron Ritchie-Mike Iggulden


For USA, Chris Holt is maybe the best goalie available.

Defenseman: Clay Wilson, Jeremy Dehner, Brian Salcido, Dan Spang, Noah Welch, Andy Wozniewski...

Forwards: Steve Moses, Ben Eaves, Michael Ryan, Brandon Bochenski, Tim Stapleton, Broc Little, Dan Fritche...

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:00 AM
  #9
maroon 6
Live and let live
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Ryan O'Rielly

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:06 AM
  #10
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,427
vCash: 500
If Martin Sonnenberg was still playing, he should have a spot in the Canadian rooster. Great player, what happend with him?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:10 AM
  #11
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
In a sense, it would be interesting to watch. It wouldn't ofc be as high quality hockey as when it's best-on-best, but it'd be refreshing to see all the not-so-usual suspects skating around. There'd be a fair handful of surprise picks as well, no doubt.


A plausible Finnish roster, hmm...


Rämö (Ahonen)

Niskala - Eronen
Mäenpää - Lepistö
Väänänen - Kukkonen
Laakso

I.Filppula - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Hagman - Lehterä - Salminen
Laine - Kapanen - Kiiskinen
Komarov* - Hytönen - Pihlström
Barkov

*In case Komarov goes back across for try 2 - Tuppurainen


Yeah... 'quality EHT' would pretty much be the word for it. Russia, no doubt, would be the biggest favorite. They could easily field a team from the KHL that rivals NHL talent.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:16 AM
  #12
CanuckistanFlyerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
If NHLers (ie professionals) aren't allowed, why on earth would KHLers be allowed? This would be like going back to when Canada couldn't send any professional players, while the USSR sent ALL professionals and not surprisingly, won a lot of tournaments.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:21 AM
  #13
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
If NHLers (ie professionals) aren't allowed, why on earth would KHLers be allowed? This would be like going back to when Canada couldn't send any professional players, while the USSR sent ALL professionals and not surprisingly, won a lot of tournaments.
question is about NHL not commiting to Olympics and how rosters would look like without NHL players, not about professional players not beeing allowed.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:21 AM
  #14
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
If NHLers (ie professionals) aren't allowed, why on earth would KHLers be allowed? This would be like going back to when Canada couldn't send any professional players, while the USSR sent ALL professionals and not surprisingly, won a lot of tournaments.
because the Olympics are in Russia, thank you, we'll take the chance to win this easy.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:35 AM
  #15
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
question is about NHL not commiting to Olympics and how rosters would look like without NHL players, not about professional players not beeing allowed.
Yep. It's all about which leagues are willing to play ball with the IIHF and IOC and release their players.

In this case, to have a true best-on-best tourney, said ball is sitting tightly in NHL's court. It does, however, have no bearing whatsoever what other leagues decide to do.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
  #16
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Quickly looking through top European leagues, Canada probably something like this. Don't rely on the lines that much, but more to the names available.

Jeff Glass
Michael Garnett

Kevin Dallman - Kurtis Foster
Richie Regehr - Kyle Cumiskey
Travis Roche - Cory Murphy

Ramzi Abid-Stephen Dixon-Bud Holloway
Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Glen Metropolit-Eric Fehr
Randy Robitaille-Justin Hodgman-Christian Dubé
Geoff Platt-Byron Ritchie-Mike Iggulden


For USA, Chris Holt is maybe the best goalie available.

Defenseman: Clay Wilson, Jeremy Dehner, Brian Salcido, Dan Spang, Noah Welch, Andy Wozniewski...

Forwards: Steve Moses, Ben Eaves, Michael Ryan, Brandon Bochenski, Tim Stapleton, Broc Little, Dan Fritche...
He said he wouldn't play for any National Team, Switzerland or Canada.
I love to see Ramzi Abid on there he used to play over here in Bern and sucked.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  #17
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Jeff Glass
Michael Garnett

Kevin Dallman - Kurtis Foster
Richie Regehr - Kyle Cumiskey
Travis Roche - Cory Murphy

Ramzi Abid-Stephen Dixon-Bud Holloway
Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Glen Metropolit-Eric Fehr
Randy Robitaille-Justin Hodgman-Christian Dubé
Geoff Platt-Byron Ritchie-Mike Iggulden
Fehr is an NHLer and no love for the KHL's Canadians in your post at all. Half of this team is complete BS.

P.S. Too lazy to come up with my own teams as I would try to get them right and it would really take a lot of time

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
  #18
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
He said he wouldn't play for any National Team, Switzerland or Canada.
I love to see Ramzi Abid on there he used to play over here in Bern and sucked.
I vote to replace him with Brandon Reid (Hamburg Freezers, DEL).

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  #19
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Quickly looking through top European leagues, Canada probably something like this. Don't rely on the lines that much, but more to the names available.

Jeff Glass
Michael Garnett

Kevin Dallman - Kurtis Foster
Richie Regehr - Kyle Cumiskey
Travis Roche - Cory Murphy

Ramzi Abid-Stephen Dixon-Bud Holloway
Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Glen Metropolit-Eric Fehr
Randy Robitaille-Justin Hodgman-Christian Dubé
Geoff Platt-Byron Ritchie-Mike Iggulden


For USA, Chris Holt is maybe the best goalie available.

Defenseman: Clay Wilson, Jeremy Dehner, Brian Salcido, Dan Spang, Noah Welch, Andy Wozniewski...

Forwards: Steve Moses, Ben Eaves, Michael Ryan, Brandon Bochenski, Tim Stapleton, Broc Little, Dan Fritche...
I didn't know that RR was still playing. He was a good skater in Milwaukee!

I didn't know that Iggulden was still playing either.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:35 AM
  #20
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
In a sense, it would be interesting to watch. It wouldn't ofc be as high quality hockey as when it's best-on-best, but it'd be refreshing to see all the not-so-usual suspects skating around. There'd be a fair handful of surprise picks as well, no doubt.


A plausible Finnish roster, hmm...


Rämö (Ahonen)

Niskala - Eronen
Mäenpää - Lepistö
Väänänen - Kukkonen
Laakso

I.Filppula - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Hagman - Lehterä - Salminen
Laine - Kapanen - Kiiskinen
Komarov* - Hytönen - Pihlström
Barkov

*In case Komarov goes back across for try 2 - Tuppurainen


Yeah... 'quality EHT' would pretty much be the word for it. Russia, no doubt, would be the biggest favorite. They could easily field a team from the KHL that rivals NHL talent.
He would help the US chances by playing for the Finns. I was underwhelmed by Antti in Milwaukee. For every great play he made, he would make a boneheaded play too. He reminds me of Radulov, without the size advantage.

Laakso was steady stay at home D-man in Milwaukee, but couldn't play in the NHL. Three goals on 75 AHL shots with -2 in 55 games. Not so impressive. Good luck!


Last edited by adsfan: 01-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
  #21
bizzz*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Minsk
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk will be at the 2014 Olympics, regardless.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=599583

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  #22
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
He would help the US chances by playing for the Finns. I was underwhelmed by Antti in Milwaukee. For every great play he made, he would make a boneheaded play too. He reminds me of Radulov, without the size advantage.

Laakso was steady stay at home D-man in Milwaukee, but couldn't play in the NHL. Three goals on 75 shots.
Are you seriously comparing Pihlström with Radulov?

If you are a troll I applaud you for your effort. I admire the good work of others, no problem.

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  #23
Jeez
Jay Jay
 
Jeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Praha - Islands
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
SWE, RUS, FIN and CZE will have EHT rosters without NHL players ofc

CZE in 2014:
Kvapil - Klepiš - Gulaš
Koukal - Novotný - Průcha
Vondrka - Rolinek - Irgl
T. Rachůnek - Petružálek - J. Svoboda
Vrána

Němec - Blaťák
Čáslava - Nakládal
Krejčík - Novák
Krajíček

Salák
Kovář/Štěpánek

fast roster with names from my head ...

well, without NHL players it will be quality EHT ... I'll watch it in TV but it won't be serious hockey tournament
I'd like to change him for Jan Kovar or Jakub Svoboda for example.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
  #24
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,675
vCash: 500
What about the Abbotts for energy roles? At least Chris would make a roster, I think.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
  #25
Dalfan
Registered User
 
Dalfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Ryan O'Rielly
Yeah, no.

Dalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.