HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Have you watched Whale games or at least looked at player profiles? He is easily the best power forward on the team. He is usually among the team's top players. He is on the first line because most nights he is one of the top 3 Whale forwards.
The question isn't whether Newbury is a good player at the AHL level, it's whether he can make the transition to the NHL. So far, the answer has been no and given that Newbury is 30 years old, it's highly unlikely that he will ever play regularly in the NHL. He's on the Whale to provide a veteran presence and may get called up in the event someone gets banged up, but that's about it.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Miz

Quote:
Have you watched Whale games or at least looked at player profiles? He is easily the best power forward on the team. He is usually among the team's top players. He is on the first line because most nights he is one of the top 3 Whale forwards.
Yea, ive gone to a few games this season, i live in the hartford county. He's a skilled guy in the ahl, that im not denying. But this isnt 2001-07...hartford is in it to develop its players and this guy isn't setting an example as a vet. He takes stupid penalties and gets rewarded by getting more icetime? doesn't make sense.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Yea, ive gone to a few games this season, i live in the hartford county. He's a skilled guy in the ahl, that im not denying. But this isnt 2001-07...hartford is in it to develop its players and this guy isn't setting an example as a vet. He takes stupid penalties and gets rewarded by getting more icetime? doesn't make sense.
Taking stupid penalties points to the reason why he's not in the NHL on a regular basis. But, he's been nearly a point a game player for the Whale, so that's why he gets ice time. Plus, the fact that you can't ice a team of rookies, even in the AHL. There has to be some veterans and they have to provide some skill. That's what Newbury does.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Vitto79

So has Gilroy done well in CT? Do people really see him as a fit with DZ on the 3rd pair? They seem pretty similar offensive Dmen too me. Rather have a guy that can hit like Bickel or Eminger.......Ideally McIlrath is ready next yr

Old
12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

If the Rangers saw Gilroy as a better option than Bickel, they would have signed him to a 2 year, one-way deal on July 1st, and not an AHL deal after the lockout started.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
If the Rangers saw Gilroy as a better option than Bickel, they would have signed him to a 2 year, one-way deal on July 1st, and not an AHL deal after the lockout started.
I would say Bickel, Eminger and Gilroy would all get an equal shot at earning 3rd pair minutes........each does different things, Gilroy is more offense, Bickel fights and Eminger is a little of both

Old
12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The question isn't whether Newbury is a good player at the AHL level, it's whether he can make the transition to the NHL. So far, the answer has been no and given that Newbury is 30 years old, it's highly unlikely that he will ever play regularly in the NHL. He's on the Whale to provide a veteran presence and may get called up in the event someone gets banged up, but that's about it.

Despite what youve heard, Kenny G is in it to win it. They are not sacrificing points to give kids more time. Vets like Newbury, Segal, Kolarik are routinely playing more than kids like Thomas and Jean, who may have real futures ahead of them.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So has Gilroy done well in CT? Do people really see him as a fit with DZ on the 3rd pair? They seem pretty similar offensive Dmen too me. Rather have a guy that can hit like Bickel or Eminger.......Ideally McIlrath is ready next yr
He is to the AHL what Zubov was to the NHL when he was young. A great offensive puck-rusher who is afraid of the dirty areas. He would be bad with MDZ because they dont compliment each other. He would be a better #7 replacement when DZ moves up, and Gilroy is playing with a defensive guy like Eminger.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Taking stupid penalties points to the reason why he's not in the NHL on a regular basis. But, he's been nearly a point a game player for the Whale, so that's why he gets ice time. Plus, the fact that you can't ice a team of rookies, even in the AHL. There has to be some veterans and they have to provide some skill. That's what Newbury does.
yea they have to be some veterans in the AHL. but how about veterans who played more than one full season in the NHL... i mean what knowledge can Newbury pass to a young kid like Jean, Miller, Thomas etc... this is why missing Redden hurts.. if i was a player id rather get advice from players who actually played more than a few seasons in the NHL like Gilroy and Redden....

Old
12-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Despite what youve heard, Kenny G is in it to win it. They are not sacrificing points to give kids more time. Vets like Newbury, Segal, Kolarik are routinely playing more than kids like Thomas and Jean, who may have real futures ahead of them.
I have no idea what you are implying. I don't get a chance to see the Whale that much (haven't seen them this year), but given the track record that Gernarder has in helping Ranger prospects develop, I'm willing to let him decide who has earned more ice time. Rushing prospects--even in the AHL is a real killer, let the kids grow into larger roles when they are ready.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
yea they have to be some veterans in the AHL. but how about veterans who played more than one full season in the NHL... i mean what knowledge can Newbury pass to a young kid like Jean, Miller, Thomas etc... this is why missing Redden hurts.. if i was a player id rather get advice from players who actually played more than a few seasons in the NHL like Gilroy and Redden....
Newbury has played almost a season's worth of NHL games (66 if I remember correctly), so he's not exactly clueless about what it takes to make it to the NHL. And not every developmentmental team has the luxury of signing true veteran NHLers for the AHL team. What ya see is what you get.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I think the mgmt and torts might have a greater issue with mentality and personality with Gilroy in not taking him over Bickel and co if there's a case to be made that Gilroy is a better candidate.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:26 AM
eco's bones

At best I see Gilroy as a stopgap emergency call up--not someone I'd really want in our lineup for any extended period. Lately his offense has slowed and his -16 is by far the worst +/- on the Whale. He's always been a soft player and is not positionally sound. Whether or not Bickel or Eminger are ideal bottom pairing guys--they are at least more defensive minded and play with some physicality.

Not sure any defenseman on our AHL team is ready to go. Perhaps Pyett. Don't hear him being criticized all that often by those who have been going to see the Whale. OTOH Parlett, Vernace, Collins and we might as well include Gilroy--not so hot. Maybe McIlrath by the end of the year could make his debut.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
At best I see Gilroy as a stopgap emergency call up--not someone I'd really want in our lineup for any extended period. Lately his offense has slowed and his -16 is by far the worst +/- on the Whale. He's always been a soft player and is not positionally sound. Whether or not Bickel or Eminger are ideal bottom pairing guys--they are at least more defensive minded and play with some physicality.

Not sure any defenseman on our AHL team is ready to go. Perhaps Pyett. Don't hear him being criticized all that often by those who have been going to see the Whale. OTOH Parlett, Vernace, Collins and we might as well include Gilroy--not so hot. Maybe McIlrath by the end of the year could make his debut.
For the record: none of the dmen in Hartford should be anywhere close to the NHL... Some don't even belong in the AHL. They constantly mess up and do boneheaded things that would have a part-time beer league coach pull his hair out.

McI only played 1 game, not enough to comment, but im exited about him and hopes he blossoms!

Last edited by Osminator: 01-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Mikos87

Yeah to echo the sentiments previously mentioned; you guys nailed it on the head with Gilroy. I feel that its good to have him in the system. The Whale are going up against rosters that have 3-5 NHLers on a given night, while not having a single regular season player from last year's Rangers team playing in the AHL.

Playing on a talent deficient team without chemistry, Gilroy's been a steady difference maker for the team, and when the NHL guys playing where they belong then Gilly will probably be one of the better players down there.

Org seems to like the guy, and from all accounts I've heard he's a good dude, but while he won't be a fixture on the NHL team, it doesn't hurt to have him be our AHL Karlsson.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:31 PM
NYR Viper

Gilroy is a better defenseman than people are giving him credit for. Pair him with a defensive dman and he will look better. He has skills and skating ability. Considering the Rangers have 7 dmen who can play in the NHL right now not including Matt it would make sense to sign him and carry him on the NHL roster. This team blocks shots. Injuries will happen

Old
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Gilroy is a better defenseman than people are giving him credit for. Pair him with a defensive dman and he will look better. He has skills and skating ability. Considering the Rangers have 7 dmen who can play in the NHL right now not including Matt it would make sense to sign him and carry him on the NHL roster. This team blocks shots. Injuries will happen
Yeah, definitely. The puck is flying all over the place down there and people crap on Gilroy every time he is on the ice when a goal is scored...

Gilroy is what he is. You'd want a little more umph offensively to feel comfortable despite his shortcomings defensively, but he is definitely not of any kind of charts, to be honest, in any category.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
CM PUNK

the problem with gilroy in the past hasn't been his defense, its the fact that as a purely offensive dman he doesn't put up many points and has a weak shot. if he put up 30+ points you'd live with his defense

Old
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

Pyett needs to get himself out.of Kenny G's dog house first. He keeps getting benched.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Joey Bones

I feel maybe Gilroy is a mold of what Stralman was. Stralzy didn't play that much at first & started to get chances. He ended up having a great post season & is now a regular. Maybe if Gilroy can push to be more of a Ranger, he'd be that seventh defender, but who knows. I do think, however, Eminger will be that seventh guy. He's definitely a guy who gets called up for an injury, though.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:39 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
I feel maybe Gilroy is a mold of what Stralman was. Stralzy didn't play that much at first & started to get chances. He ended up having a great post season & is now a regular. Maybe if Gilroy can push to be more of a Ranger, he'd be that seventh defender, but who knows. I do think, however, Eminger will be that seventh guy. He's definitely a guy who gets called up for an injury, though.
The Rangers got effective defense out of Stralman. They also got him to step up his physical play. This is the road that Gilroy would have to take to get a permanent spot and so far throughout his professional career he's been reluctant to do that. I really don't see Gilroy changing his game much and don't think he's much more than an insurance policy in case someone really gets banged up. Much more comfortable with Eminger if he gets his game back to where it was before his injury plagued season last year. I also think Bickel is a much better option.

The idea as one poster would have it that Gilroy is some kind of AHL version of Erik Karlsson is way off kilter. IMO Karlsson may be the most valuable defenseman in the entire world at this point considering his age and practically his point per game skill set. Karlsson is in a young Brian Leetch territory. Gilroy got off to a hot start offensively but has cooled off and is now currently on a 40 pt. pace for the AHL. Pairing him with an effective stay at home player in the NHL would not likely produce 40 points per in a much better league. So what is the point of trying to make him a spot? Has he ever been an effective offensive force in the NHL?

Old
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
The idea as one poster would have it that Gilroy is some kind of AHL version of Erik Karlsson is way off kilter. IMO Karlsson may be the most valuable defenseman in the entire world at this point considering his age and practically his point per game skill set. Karlsson is in a young Brian Leetch territory. Gilroy got off to a hot start offensively but has cooled off and is now currently on a 40 pt. pace for the AHL. Pairing him with an effective stay at home player in the NHL would not likely produce 40 points per in a much better league. So what is the point of trying to make him a spot? Has he ever been an effective offensive force in the NHL?
Let me clarify then, I referred to Gilly as AHL Karlsson in the sense that he is a wanna be Karlsson, as in he tries to play that game, but isn't good at it. Clearly not the elite offensive force that Karlsson is.

Gilroy is a rover like posters have previously outlined, I was merely tacking on to their points and not attempting to anoint an already known quantity as a Norris winner.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Let me clarify then, I referred to Gilly as AHL Karlsson in the sense that he is a wanna be Karlsson, as in he tries to play that game, but isn't good at it. Clearly not the elite offensive force that Karlsson is.

Gilroy is a rover like posters have previously outlined, I was merely tacking on to their points and not attempting to anoint an already known quantity as a Norris winner.
Have to be honest Mikos--I don't care for Gilroy very much.

1. He's soft.
2. For a defenseman he doesn't play very good defense.
3. His strongest point--offense--isn't that good.

He's a better skater and more skilled player than either of Bickel or Eminger however neither of those two have to be introduced to their own end of the ice. Both are tougher--especially Bickel and Eminger is far more experienced. Though they are not very exciting players--they can play effectively when they keep things simple and at least as long as you don't overplay them.

When it comes to 5-6-7 d-men I prefer that they play their position and play it hard.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

1. He's soft.

He's a better skater and more skilled player than either of Bickel or Eminger however neither of those two have to be introduced to their own end of the ice. Both are tougher--especially Bickel and Eminger is far more experienced. Though they are not very exciting players--they can play effectively when they keep things simple and at least as long as you don't overplay them.

When it comes to 5-6-7 d-men I prefer that they play their position and play it hard.
I agree. The tougher the better. If they happen to chip in for a goal once in a while that's just a bonus...but since they're not getting many minutes it's not really what I'm looking for.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Mikos87

Quote:

1. He's soft.

Agree wholeheartedly. If Gilroy is a number 6 on an NHL roster, then that team is icing a bottom five defense. I like him in HFD, and as a call up option only because of his familiarity with the team, and the locker room. Having a positive veteran presence to help guys along, and who can step in seamlessly has its value.

Guys like Aaron Rome and Nolan Baumgartner were able to step in and play when Van got hit with the injury bug during their run to the final without hurting the team, and as it stands right now, Gilroy is the only defenseman in HFD that can be a call up.

The team values toughness and hard play as a part of the identity so no doubt the guys willing to step up will earn their time in Ranger blue.

Frankly if McIlrath shows sign of being a reliable penalty killer in the AHL, then he willl be on the roster over Bickel imo.

By the middle of next year I'd like to see an all home grown defense of

McDonaugh-Girardi
Staal-McIlrath
Del Zotto- Sauer

I didn't want two defensemen with concussions out there at the same time getting worried about being run, Staal won't be touched next to the man from Manitoba; but with Sauer being an uncertainty I don't know if this'll ever happen.

Closed Thread