HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
And a lot of people on these boards think he should be a winger.

Everything about Strome's game says centerman. Even more so to the point: every international tournament, this one included, natural centermen are shifted to the wing when put on his line. He posses the vision, developing all-around game, faceoff ability, and all necessary traits of a ceterman.
YET, he has twice as many goals than assists in the tournament. So I love hearing about the faceoffs, but either he's not doing great as an assist man, or Drouin and Ritchie aren't burying his feeds. Noticed Drouin scored with an assist to RNH though.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:

Everything about Strome's game says centerman. Even more so to the point: every international tournament, this one included, natural centermen are shifted to the wing when put on his line. He posses the vision, developing all-around game, faceoff ability, and all necessary traits of a ceterman.
I think people say that so much because we have Brock, and Strome seems like a better fit for that 1st line RW(especially since he's a RH shot, and our only other RH winger is Okposo). Personally, I would be disappointed if the Isles move Strome to wing, although at this point I'd say that is very unlikely.

Should be interesting to see how this Strome/Nelson/Nielsen situation plays out. I expect Strome to be the 2nd line center of the future, and I don't see Nielsen going anywhere. IMO that leaves Nelson either as a winger here or trade bait. Curious to see how/when it plays out.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
YET, he has twice as many goals than assists in the tournament. So I love hearing about the faceoffs, but either he's not doing great as an assist man, or Drouin and Ritchie aren't burying his feeds. Noticed Drouin scored with an assist to RNH though.
I've only seen the CAN-USA game so far, and bits and pieces of the Slovakia game, but Strome's playmaking has looked pretty impressive, IMO. I saw him set up a couple of defenseman with clear shot lanes from the point, who either missed or were stopped. I saw another where he made a pretty nifty move to get the puck off the boards and into the middle, and when the defender commited to him he sent a pretty feed to Drouin(I believe it was Drouin) who couldn't handle the pass. He had a pretty top notch scoring opportunity.

I wouldn't worry about Strome's playmaking game. If anything, you should be impressed that he's shown some good finishing ability to go with the playmaking aspect of his game.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

Right on Konk, Canada kept Strome at center because he's their best center after RNH.
He had no points points today but he played his game and those key face-offs wins. He's
a much better player than in last year's WJC. He still needs more work in the Tavaras' Dungeon
but the best news he has improved most of his previous weakness'.

Thought Reinhart was really good too. Made some beautiful no panic plays (did anyone notice
a play he made when he was double teamed), he's worry free for his coach. Heard a good comparison
player for Reinhart just now, if any of you remember Serge Savard he had about the lowest
panic level I have ever seen, always thought he was an under rated and a great defenseman.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Thought Reinhart was really good too. Made some beautiful no panic plays (did anyone notice
a play he made when he was double teamed), he's worry free for his coach. Heard a good comparison
player for Reinhart just now, if any of you remember Serge Savard he had about the lowest
panic level I have ever seen, always thought he was an under rated and a great defenseman.

One thing I wish Rienhart had more of is BITE. He seems to lack confidence at times and maybe makes the safe play too often. His role on this team is to play mistake-free sound defense, make no mistake. They have enough risk-takers out there in Rielly, Murphy and Hamilton - they don't need another one.

But Reinhart has untapped offensive potential but seems to be playing a little too safe out there.

He's been physical when he's had to be, moving players in front, keeping forwards away from the net off the rush and maintaining body position along the boards.

Once he gets back to EDM, I'd love to see him develop his offense more, carry the puck more and take a leadership role offensively. That's what his game needs most in terms of development and that's what the CHL is perfect for, in his case.

Overall though, impressive player with a great tool-kit. Glad he's in the system!

Old
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
One thing I wish Rienhart had more of is BITE. He seems to lack confidence at times and maybe makes the safe play too often. His role on this team is to play mistake-free sound defense, make no mistake. They have enough risk-takers out there in Rielly, Murphy and Hamilton - they don't need another one.

But Reinhart has untapped offensive potential but seems to be playing a little too safe out there.

He's been physical when he's had to be, moving players in front, keeping forwards away from the net off the rush and maintaining body position along the boards.

Once he gets back to EDM, I'd love to see him develop his offense more, carry the puck more and take a leadership role offensively. That's what his game needs most in terms of development and that's what the CHL is perfect for, in his case.

Overall though, impressive player with a great tool-kit. Glad he's in the system!
Well said. I could be wrong about this but right now I would let him keep playing the way he
has. Next off season he can work on his strength, skating, ect., so I would like to see him starting
using some of that untapped potential. He'll never be mean but he's does the job.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
The Isles traded up to get Nelson, I guess we'll find out if that matters to them if Strome does indeed take the 2C position by the horns and management is adamant on keeping Nielsen as the 3C.

Also Brock Nelson and Nino have developed some good chemistrty in Bridgeport, I wonder if we'll see that powerforward tag team play together one day.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:18 PM
InformTheMasses

I know Degeneration Rex usually does the rundown so I wont post everything. But I watched the Erie Vs Niagra game (featuring Mitch Theoret, Adam Pelech and Jesse Graham) an wanted to pass on the stat line for each of them. It was a wild game that saw Erie Score on its first 3 shots on goal (1 of them a PP Point blast from Pelech) but ultimately Niagra won 7-4, after pulling their goalie after the Pelech goal.

Pelech had 1 Goal and 1 Assist, and was a -2, but was a real force and threw several punishing checks and pancaked at least 4 of 5 guys tonight. Also does a nice job running the point on PP, he got both his points on PP. He was also very tough for Niagra to beat.

Mitch Theoret scored on a pretty slapper in the slot and added an assist, both of his points were even strength. He was a +3 for the night

Jesse Graham had an assist (on the PP) and was a +2. He had a lot of success skating through the neutral zone when he attempted it against a struggling Erie team.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I know Degeneration Rex usually does the rundown so I wont post everything. But I watched the Erie Vs Niagra game (featuring Mitch Theoret, Adam Pelech and Jesse Graham) an wanted to pass on the stat line for each of them. It was a wild game that saw Erie Score on its first 3 shots on goal (1 of them a PP Point blast from Pelech) but ultimately Niagra won 7-4, after pulling their goalie after the Pelech goal.

Pelech had 1 Goal and 1 Assist, and was a -2, but was a real force and threw several punishing checks and pancaked at least 4 of 5 guys tonight. Also does a nice job running the point on PP, he got both his points on PP. He was also very tough for Niagra to beat.

Mitch Theoret scored on a pretty slapper in the slot and added an assist, both of his points were even strength. He was a +3 for the night

Jesse Graham had an assist (on the PP) and was a +2. He had a lot of success skating through the neutral zone when he attempted it against a struggling Erie team.
I fell asleep early after getting up early the last few mornings to watch the WJC. Did listen
to the Niagara broadcast. Erie is playing without Mc David, who is at the Under 17's
and is leading it in scoring. From listening it sounded like the Erie goalie wasn't good tonight.
Pelech was a steal in the third round, just getting invited to WJC camp was an accomplishment.
He should make the team next year.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:05 AM
scott99

I loved the Pelech pick, even more than the Pokka pick. Either way, 3 VERY solid d-men picked last year. Loving this Theoret pick as well. Thanks for the updates !

Old
01-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

One little thing I noticed about Reinhart that goes unnoticed a lot, especially if folks are just scoresheet watching, is he doesn't make the dumb play.

What I mean by that is, sometimes you'll see a defenseman attempt a reversal without looking who is there, or attempt a pass when high off the glass is safer. Reinhart always seems to pick the safe play, and thus, doesn't seem to cost his team with stupid fancy passes or boneheaded giveaways.

He needs work on his footspeed, IMO, as the very few times he seemed to have trouble was being beaten to the outside, and I agree that a bit more consistent physicality would add to his game. But from the games I've seen, he's an incredibly safe and smart player with a crisp pass, who I feel more than comfortable seeing on the ice for Canada (unlike Murphy, whose insistence on going on end to end rushes every freakin' time he has the puck has me cursing at the TV).

-----

As for Strome, I think you're seeing in this tournament why he plays center and why he'll likely play center for the Islanders. It's where his game thrives. He's a passer, he likes to control the flow of the play, and likes to dictate where the offensive chances come from.

IMO, if he's played on the wing he'll be playing opposite his strengths. Strome's the kind of player best utilized when the offense goes through him. If he's moved to the wing, he'll be more of a secondary guy whose job it is to get open or to crash the net, rather than be the guy who carries the puck and sets up chances.

A good example of this is Mark Scheifele on the wing at the WJC, as opposed to Scheifele back in Barrie at center. He's more of a "crash the net, get open and wait for a pass from the center" type player at the WJC than he is in Barrie, where he handles the puck more and generally the offense goes through him. Granted, I think the transition is easier for a guy like Scheifele, because of his size and his ability to bang and crash the net. But I don't think you want Strome doing that.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
As for Strome, I think you're seeing in this tournament why he plays center and why he'll likely play center for the Islanders. It's where his game thrives. He's a passer, he likes to control the flow of the play, and likes to dictate where the offensive chances come from.

IMO, if he's played on the wing he'll be playing opposite his strengths. Strome's the kind of player best utilized when the offense goes through him. If he's moved to the wing, he'll be more of a secondary guy whose job it is to get open or to crash the net, rather than be the guy who carries the puck and sets up chances.

Yup, I said that earlier on in the thread, and people seem to be catching on to that, now that his games are more easily viewed on TV for WJC. I will say this though, on The PP Strome seems to make a lot of sense on Tavares' wing. You can have JT set up in the slot, have Strome work the sidewall, as he is excellent and making passes to the blueline, behind th net, and the slot from the sidewall position on the PP (he also opens up the PK box when he curls from the sidewall, usually creates a great shot for himself or makes a crisp pass to an open man down low once he breaks the box). All they would need then is a big winger with them to get in front of the net and win control of the puck behind the net if need be (for right now I'm thinking More Lee, Nelson Ullstrom as Nino's passing and turnovers are not NHL PP ready), and then it's a serious PP Unit.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Konk

Quote:

A good example of this is Mark Scheifele on the wing at the WJC, as opposed to Scheifele back in Barrie at center. He's more of a "crash the net, get open and wait for a pass from the center" type player at the WJC than he is in Barrie, where he handles the puck more and generally the offense goes through him. Granted, I think the transition is easier for a guy like Scheifele, because of his size and his ability to bang and crash the net. But I don't think you want Strome doing that.
This is an argument I've made on this board for the past few years with a lot of backlash, but people are starting to come around.

Islander fans were mostly hypnotized by the idea of Strome on Tavares' wing without having any solid reasoning or sense of Strome's game because they have not watched him outside of youtube highlights. He is a center through and through and will form a great 1-2 punch down the middle with Tavares.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
Great observation Sid the Kid. Brock Nelson sounds a lot like Mark Scheifele in regards to that he is a big centerman who can play center and control the play or be a winger and crash the net. You might have inspired me to a a Brock Nelson v. Mark Scheifele poll.

Both are first round picks and have been regarded to as having limited upside.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
This is an argument I've made on this board for the past few years with a lot of backlash, but people are starting to come around.

Islander fans were mostly hypnotized by the idea of Strome on Tavares' wing without having any solid reasoning or sense of Strome's game because they have not watched him outside of youtube highlights. He is a center through and through and will form a great 1-2 punch down the middle with Tavares.
This. JT would probably make a solid winger on the power play if Strome looks that good in the NHL. It's no slight to JT if he ends up on wing. It's just an amazing bit of good fortune having JT and Strome. I have no qualms with Moulson having two awesome players feeding him, even if Matty hits like a girl.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I know you like to bring up Detroit but it doesn't support your argument. They generally haven't handled their best prospects with kid gloves. Most of their top players have made it to the show in 1 or 2 years of post-draft development. Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk took two, Fedorov took one, Yzerman took 0. Yzerman was the only one drafted top-5(4th overall), where guys like Strome, Reinhart and Nino went. I know you are going to respond with "Strome isn't Yzerman," but back in '83 I doubt Yzerman was Yzerman. His OHL point totals were actually very similar to Strome's pre-draft point totals(Strome had 15 more points in 9 more games. I know they are different time periods, but the point is Yzerman wasn't exactly Gretzky or even Tavares coming out of Junior Hockey).

If anything this proves that Detroit has drafted better than the Islanders, not that they've been more patient with development.

Either way, if you can find me a worthy 2nd-line stopgap who would sign here for one year, or one we can trade for without giving up anything of significant value(Strome/Nelson/Griff/1st), I'll be all for it. I would just personally rather have a Strome vs Nelson 2013 TC competition than bring in Matt Cullen for one year.
Datsyuk was drafted in 98 as an overager, played first game in 01-02 season at 23 years of age.

Zetterberg was drafted in 99, debuted at winged wheel in 02-03 season being 22 years old.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Degeneration Rex

Tuesday

Guelph 2, Oshawa 1-Pedan, 1 assist, + 1.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:50 PM
scott99

Quote:
Tuesday

Guelph 2, Oshawa 1-Pedan, 1 assist, + 1.
I love how Pedan's offensive game has progressed. We all know about his size and grit, but he posseses offensive talent as well. The Isle's D is just stacked when it comes to defensive prospects, and a lot of the with size. Hamonic, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pelech & Pedan, all have me drooling about their size and talent. Add in guys like Russo and Donovan for offense.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
InformTheMasses

I watched a little bit of the game today and have probably watched him play 12-15 this year. I like Pedan a lot, he has very good tools and is long, could be a monster to try and go around with that reach. He is still frustrating to watch, I think he has taken 33 or 34 minor penalties in just 32 games. He's always tripping, slashing, cross-checking. Not very disciplined at all. If he can put it all together he is going to be an NHl defenceman and an effective one at that. He is just a ways away.

I think Pedan should go to Bridgeport Next year and spend a MINIMUM of two full seasons there, Maybe 3 before we can begin to think about calling him up and relying on him for minutes in the NHL. In other words he wont be ready until we're settled in at the Barclays center.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

But that's not really what Tavares' RW needs to be doing, especially since you already have the LW crashing the net. Just look at PAP, whose greatest value was his ability to enter the zone with the puck, and then ditribute the puck -- this is something that Strome should be able to far better than PAP was able to. In a lot of ways, Strome's offensive strengths are similar to PAP's, though with any luck, he should be better, more rounded player than PAP is. Personally, I think Strome would have phenomenal chemistry with Tavares. Good enough to warrant moving him to that spot permanently? That I can't say.

But in the end, I think the position he will play will depend a lot on the build of the team at the time and the style of play being utilized. For example, if we have someone who can play 2nd line C and Strome's the only person that can play first line RW, or if the team plays a more defensive system where the second line is more of an outscoring line than a scoring line, I think we could see Strome placed on Tavares' RW. Or he might get worked in early as a RW to lessen the defensive responsibilities so he can focus a little more on the offensive end, with the intention of shifting him back to center, like the Flyers did with Giroux. Personally, I suspect he'll see significant time at both positions.

I can see numerous possible scenarios where Strome ends up on Tavares' RW. Don't get me wrong, I also see numerous scenarios where he plays 2nd line C. However, since the team he spends the majority of his career with will likely look rather different than the current team, I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty what position he'll be at (not saying that's what you are doing, mind you).

Old
01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Degeneration Rex

USA has advanced to the WJC semi-finals and a rematch with Canada Thursday at 4 AM
on NHL Network. Russia beat Switzerland in a shootout and plays Sweden in the other
semi-final at 8 AM, both game will have re-airings.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-02-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Degeneration Rex

Relegation-Finland 8, Germany 0-Ville Pokka was Finland's player of the game
with 2 goals and was + 5.

Finland plays their final game against Slovakia Friday.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
scott99

Quote:
Relegation-Finland 8, Germany 0-Ville Pokka was Finland's player of the game
with 2 goals and was + 5.

Some other interesting notes, Pokka leads the whole tournament at +7. Strome and RNH are second at +6. Jacob Trouba is now tied for THIRD in scoring with Galchenyuk with 8 points ! Seth Jones is also having a monster tournament so far with 7 points in 5 games. No way he falls out of the top 2 at the draft. Barkov is also coming around nicely after a slow start, 5 points in 5 games. Ristolainen also having a nice tournament with 5 points in 5 games, AND 20 PIM's ! Some very talented D-men for the 2013 draft, and some of the 2012 drafted D-Men are dominating (Trouba).

The US team has found it's scoring touch, and might be a scary team to face, Canada better not face them lightly after beating them by only 1 goal earlier in the tourny (2-1). Love Strome and Reinhart, but have to root for the US.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
USA has advanced to the WJC semi-finals and a rematch with Canada Thursday at 4 AM
on NHL Network. Russia beat Switzerland in a shootout and plays Sweden in the other
semi-final at 8 AM, both game will have re-airings.
These seem to be the 4 best teams almost every year. US-Canada-Sweden-Russia, you can sometimes substitute the US team with Finland, but the other 3 seem to be in the last 4 teams standing almost every year.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Relegation-Finland 8, Germany 0-Ville Pokka was Finland's player of the gamewith 2 goals and was + 5.

Nice going Ville

Closed Thread