HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It has to mean something. Ryan Murphy has played on the top unit for most of the tourney, has almost as many shots as Rielly and has nothing to show for it. Besides, when you are a ppqb, secondary assist are good things. It just means everything on the pp runs through you. I don't know why these dont get as much credit. It seems deking through the whole team and putting a perfect placed pass onto your teammate so he just needs to tap it in is the only way an assis will get any credit.

Rielly hasn't been elite, butother than RNH, Harrington, Ouellet and sometimes Schiefele, no one on the team has been elite. Yakupov hasn't been elite at all in this tournament, so singling out the youngest defenceman with the lowest ice time and best "stats" expecting him to be elite is a tad bit unreasonable. I've expected more from him too, but there's no need to downplay what he's done, because it has been moderately impressive.
Good post, there should be no other way of looking at it. Rielly as the youngest and least relied upon has produced the best, not allowed a goal against while on the ice yet has not shown his elite talent that is clearly evident when playing for MJ.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Why are Leaf fans trashing Dougie Hamilton in a thread about Morgan Rielly?
You need to read two posts above yours. I think the word 'stud' was used for Hamilton.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
http://stats.worldjunior2013.com/Hyd...00_85E_7_0.pdf

Well hopefully iihf recognizes since it is likely the stat every other stat site will use.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Atomos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
http://stats.worldjunior2013.com/Hyd...00_85E_7_0.pdf

Well hopefully iihf recognizes since it is likely the stat every other stat site will use.
They won't. They still haven't give Reinhart an assist from the american game.

I'm sure Rielly couldn't care less though. We all know what he did and I'm glad tsn put the actually statistics, it was really nice of them to do that. It kinda shows what a joke the IIHF score keepers are too.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
xIsle

Quote:

I'm sure Rielly couldn't care less though. We all know what he did and I'm glad tsn put the actually statistics, it was really nice of them to do that. It kinda shows what a joke the IIHF score keepers are too.
Why does TSN give an assist to Rielly and not to Reinhart (from the american game)? If its the point from TSN to show how the score keeper from IIHF is a joke, they should maybe take away the assist from Scheifele and give it to Reinhart. That would be fair!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:

Rielly won't care, be I'm sure over the coming months/years his stats from WJC will be used in ever important internet arguments.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Atomos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Why does TSN give an assist to Rielly and not to Reinhart (from the american game)? If its the point from TSN to show how the score keeper from IIHF is a joke, they should maybe take away the assist from Scheifele and give it to Reinhart. That would be fair!
Guess there not as good either. Doesn't take anything away from Rielly though. Just sux for both of them that the IIHF won't credit their assists.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Atomos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Rielly won't care, be I'm sure over the coming months/years his stats from WJC will be used in ever important internet arguments.
Then it's a good thing we have the tsn stats.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Will Reilly be eligible to play in the WJC again next year?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:05 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Will Reilly be eligible to play in the WJC again next year?
Yup, but I can't imagine a situation where he's not in Toronto then.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
jedimyrmidon

So Rielly hasn't been on for a goal against this tournament. That's pretty good. I'm wondering who he's usually/most often playing and defending against out there (2nd, 3rd, 4th lines? Who against the US?), and how often he's out there at ES.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Again... no he wasn't. It was his best game of the tournament but he's been our 2nd worst defenceman all tournament so it didn't take much to improve on that
Good defensive play, 6 shots on net and a goal. Our best defenseman last game. If you have a different opinion, it's fine with me.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
So Rielly hasn't been on for a goal against this tournament. That's pretty good. I'm wondering who he's usually/most often playing and defending against out there (2nd, 3rd, 4th lines? Who against the US?), and how often he's out there at ES.
He's been out against weaker lines in the limited even strength minutes he's been given.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
It has to mean something. Ryan Murphy has played on the top unit for most of the tourney, has almost as many shots as Rielly and has nothing to show for it. Besides, when you are a ppqb, secondary assist are good things. It just means everything on the pp runs through you. I don't know why these dont get as much credit. It seems deking through the whole team and putting a perfect placed pass onto your teammate so he just needs to tap it in is the only way an assis will get any credit.

Rielly hasn't been elite, butother than RNH, Harrington, Ouellet and sometimes Schiefele, no one on the team has been elite. Yakupov hasn't been elite at all in this tournament, so singling out the youngest defenceman with the lowest ice time and best "stats" expecting him to be elite is a tad bit unreasonable. I've expected more from him too, but there's no need to downplay what he's done, because it has been moderately impressive.
I think the quality of points do matter over a few games. Over the course of the season it would balance out, but it may not over a short series where you rack them up against Germany and Slovakia. Not to discredit them any further, but as I said, the best measure for how he is doing (i.e. Dmen) is not looking at the boxscore, but watching the game as their key plays/screwups usually don't show on the boxscore. I never claimed he has been bad nor great. I was merely reacting to the fan that clumped him in with Harrington and Ouellet as the three top Dmen. And you're right, there have been a lot of top players who haven't lived up to their billing so far.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

Grigorenko lost his secondary assist when he won the faceoff for the OT win against Slovakia. IIHF is really strange with giving out their points.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
He's been out against weaker lines in the limited even strength minutes he's been given.
Do not question the play of our golden boy

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Atomos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Not too sure, but I did remember him breaking up a Galchenyuk rush in the U.S. game. I only remember that because of the impact of future Mtl/Tml rivalries those two will start in the near future.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Yup, but I can't imagine a situation where he's not in Toronto then.
Like Bergeron then, if he's not needed (or something else), he
could be lent out.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Future

Rielly is one of those guys that plays a lot better with a lot of ice time. He won't excell at a limited roll.

Spott is a bafoon and has short term memory. In the summer series first game Morgan barely played and was just pretty good. Second game he got a lot more ice time and from then on was Canada's best D a long with Murray.

Spott just loves to play Ryan Murphy and Dougie Hamilton no matter how bad they are playing, although the last game Dougie wasn't as bad as the other games, he was actually pretty good.

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Suxnet

Rielly's been alright. He does some good one shift but then screws up the next. Same could be said for Murphy and Hamilton, neither of which have been terrific. The more defensive dmen like Harrington, Reinhart, and Professor X have been the real stalwarts of Canada's D so far, though.

Suxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Rielly's been alright. He does some good one shift but then screws up the next. Same could be said for Murphy and Hamilton, neither of which have been terrific. The more defensive dmen like Harrington, Reinhart, and Professor X have been the real stalwarts of Canada's D so far, though.
I would disagree here. Reinhart hasnt been on his game, he's been fumbling pucks, misreading plays, etc.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Reilly is really impressing this WJC. He's up there with (don't want to spell his last name wrong, so) Xavier for our best defenceman. Might turn out to be the best d-man out of the draft.......

Not a Toronto fan by any means of the word. Lucky, that's all.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Reilly is really impressing this WJC. He's up there with (don't want to spell his last name wrong, so) Xavier for our best defenceman. Might turn out to be the best d-man out of the draft.......

Not a Toronto fan by any means of the word. Lucky, that's all.
He's been alright.. far from the best dman. He needs twice the ice time he's getting to even be considered as the best.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
He's been alright.. far from the best dman. He needs twice the ice time he's getting to even be considered as the best.
I imagine he'll get his shot at the spotlight next year -- he's the youngest defenseman there and all.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
For sure. He's been alright in the WJC. He needs more ice time.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote