Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

2013 WJC Russian Roster

Old
01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
wings5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
For once the team defense and goaltending are exceptionally strong. I had some doubts on defense but after watching all of the games, all of the defenseman have been winning battles, not getting beat 1 on 1, breaking up plays, etc.. I had complained about Zadorov not being there, but I will take that back now.

The biggest problem is scoring. Not surprised, Yakupov has made little impact, and the team definitely needs him to do something if they are going to win any big games.
I don't like how Varnakov has the guys playing a dump and chase styled game either. Against the Canadians it looked like Russia was trying to copy their game and it backfired miserably.

Also, not a fan of Mozer, wish a guy like Yakimov or Zlobin was in his stead. BTW. Zlobin dcored 3g3a in a game a few days ago.
I don't think he is making them play a dump and chase style, Russia like to hang one man high and try and spring him but it leaves them to enter the zone outnumbered and teams like Slovakia knew this and collapsed their players back to wait for the player entering the zone and then would take the puck. It was quite affective for them.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
For once the team defense and goaltending are exceptionally strong. I had some doubts on defense but after watching all of the games, all of the defenseman have been winning battles, not getting beat 1 on 1, breaking up plays, etc.. I had complained about Zadorov not being there, but I will take that back now.

The biggest problem is scoring. Not surprised, Yakupov has made little impact, and the team definitely needs him to do something if they are going to win any big games.
I don't like how Varnakov has the guys playing a dump and chase styled game either. Against the Canadians it looked like Russia was trying to copy their game and it backfired miserably.

Also, not a fan of Mozer, wish a guy like Yakimov or Zlobin was in his stead. BTW. Zlobin dcored 3g3a in a game a few days ago.
dump and chase?

they lost the puck probably 50 times at the blue line and were always trying to carry it in

The problem this team has is that they don't pass

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:07 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I hope Yakupov never wears the Russian jersey again, he was as bad as one could get. 12 games and 1 goal against Germany is unexcusable. Not to mention, 2 million turn overs.
Also, disagree with Varnakov's choice to not start Makarov after his epic performances against US and Canada. Vasilevski has shown to be unreliable in big games... yes he can come up with a big save now and then but it is then offset by a soft goal. Makarov has been nothing less than a rock everytime he has worn the Russian jersey the past 2 years.

Last edited by malkinfan: 01-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Agalloch1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
The problem this team has is that they don't pass
That's exactly what I was saying to my roommate the Russians play as individuals not as a team. The best line was the Grigorenko line because they played as a unit and weren't selfish with the puck.

Agalloch1986 is offline   Reply With Quote