HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Who are you favorite players to watch so far?

Old
12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Really?
I had barely heard much about him going into this tournament, but he's been a stand out player to me. Very good on the powerplay by distributing the puck and always making the smart play.
Barely? He was supposed to contend for 1st overall pick just a few months ago...

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
smack66

vCash: 500
Trouba, RNH, Strome but outside of some of the obvious ones I'm going to go with a Bruins homer pick and say i've been impressed by Anthony Camara. I don't think the guy was picked by anyone at the start of the year to be invited to camp, and then was given little chance by most on these boards when he did get invited. He's been faster then I thought, tough as nails and solid defensively. clearly never going to be a big time player but looks like the kind of guy Bruins fans will love in the future and Habs fans will hate.

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I am going against what most people will say and go with Nathan MacKinnon. He doesn't play much, took a couple of bad penalties today...but when I see him with the puck I know I am seeing something special. He has that special quality where unless he gives up the puck, it finds him and stays on him. He just needs more ice time and I think he would look every bit as good as Drouin or better, but that isn't going to happen with Spott as coach. That's fine, his time will come.

Mark my words, he will emerge as the best player of anyone participating in this tournament some day.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
I've enjoyed watching the following:

Jonathan Drouin
Jacob Trouba
Seth Jones

Homer:
Marcus Granlund - He's impressed me with his play this tournament.
Tyler Wotherspoon - Does nothing special. Just a solid/stay at home defence-man.

Side note:
Never thought I'd find myself cheering so much for an Oiler. RNH has been phenomenal! I didn't realize he actually had some physicality to his game? I've seen him throw the body/chirp a few times... Amazing talent.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Gostisbehere- Flyers prospect and he has looked awesome, love his shot, great passing, moves around well, good positioning, while he doesn't hit very hard his stick work has been able to knock the puck away from attackers pretty effectively. Overall, I'm optimistic about him and he's been a treat to follow.

Seth Jones- been watching him closely to try and catch the hype, and he looks pretty good out there, sometimes tries to do too much, but he is impressive with his speed and puckhandling

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- has looked awesome in most games i've watched with him. Loved watching for the Oilers last year and getting to watch him dominate his peers is a treat

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
geno4mvp

Kuraly- Played for my hometown team, love watching him play
Galchenyuk
Seth Jones
Huberdeau

geno4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I've enjoyed watching the following:

Jonathan Drouin
Jacob Trouba

Seth Jones

Homer:
Marcus Granlund - He's impressed me with his play this tournament.
Tyler Wotherspoon - Does nothing special. Just a solid/stay at home defence-man.

Side note:
Never thought I'd find myself cheering so much for an Oiler. RNH has been phenomenal! I didn't realize he actually had some physicality to his game? I've seen him throw the body/chirp a few times... Amazing talent.
Fully agree with bolded.. Nice post.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:45 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Trouba has been outstanding. I had never seen him play before this tournament(that I can remember), but I've been thoroughly impressed. I've also liked what I've seen from Jaskin.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Interactif

Easy one, Drouin.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Jenner only played the one game, but he was amazing - best player on the ice today, to me. Loved watching him cycle the hell out the Russians, PK like a god, and win all those faceoffs. Smart, strong, gutsy player.

Good for Columbus.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Jenner only played the one game, but he was amazing - best player on the ice today, to me. Loved watching him cycle the hell out the Russians, PK like a god, and win all those faceoffs. Smart, strong, gutsy player.

Good for Columbus.
Add to that when Scheifele gaffed and had his head down on the bench Jenner reached over and Patted him hard on the back as if to say "keep your chin up and lets go"

I was down on him after his pre tourney suspension and that all changed today. Canada needs him to play his game smart and hard. he won me over and I am a big fan, he is a beast!

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
czechcanadian

For czechs.. Most definitely Jaskin and Hertl. Not so much Frk.. hes been good but not as impressive as those two.

czechcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Drouin, Trouba, and,... today Jenner was very impressive!

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

J.Drouin - the guy basically plays mistake-free hockey. His wherewithal is off the charts, not even to mention his elusiveness.

S.Jones - He made plenty of mistakes in the Canada game, but his ability to control the neutral zone as well as run a power-play is impressive. Im no scout, but my gut feeling is that his overall package is just too good to pass up if a team is picking 1st in the Draft.

Vasilevsky - He reminds me of Jacob Markstom: big, fast, and technically sound. Plays the game with so much confidence that he stands out.

Martin Reway - quick and skilled. I notice him every time he is on the ice, and enjoy watching him play.

M.Grigorenko - I was expecting more points out of him this WJCs. You can really notice that his mind for the game is a cut above.

Kucherov - I dont think his game will translate to the NHL (but what do I know?). But his skill is undeniable and he is very smooth. Fun to watch. Everyone loves to score ... but he looks like he lives for it

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
The Big Jankowski

RNH is such a special player, he is a poor man's Peter Forsberg. I absolutely love that kid along with my boy Jordan Eberle. Why is this weird? I am a staunch Flames fan, always have been, always will, be! But, as a hockey fan these two kids are great, and the great fans of Edmonton absolutely deserve this for the crap they have been put through.

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Jakub Vrana. He has eligibility for WJC roster 4 times in a row.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Really impressed with RNH. A dominant force every time he is on the ice.

Have not been impressed with Seth Jones. Outside of the powerplay, he seemed very tentative and indecisive.

Glad that Grigorenko is having a good tournament. You can still see a few areas he needs to work on, but his passing is sublime. I can think of a few Sabres forwards that should be licking their chops at the thought of having him dishing the puck to them.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Pellegrino

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. His game intelligence without the puck reminds me of Gretzky.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nuge, Mackinnon, Subban, Drouin, Gibson, Khokhlachev

Vasilevski was one of my favourites last year, but I haven't got to see him play this year

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote