HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Could not agree more. The problem for him right now is the lack of ice time. Probably the first time in his career that he plays that so scarcely. Even thought he has that adjustment to make, he is secong in scoring in the tournament. This guy is NHL ready. If there is a season he will play for us this year.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:13 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I read the topic so I know what the mood is...

But for a guy whom many of you see as having a bad tourney, he's sure putting points on the sheet. I hope he has lots of seasons with us that are as bad this tourney has been, he can play bad and be second in scoring overall ANYTIME on my team. Better than the ****ing plug who plays great and finishes the year with 15 points.
He hasn't played as well as he's capable of but it's hardly a bad thing that he can still manage to produce without playing his best.

It's a short tournament with new linemates and a new team/system. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle, sometimes you don't. There's no need to make excuses, he's a great player who hasn't really looked great. He's looked frustrated IMO and at times even disinterested. Although I will say I do think he's getting a bit too much flack in some places. His production and threat level have been an overall asset to the states.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I find it interesting how Trouba is now the love child of Jesus and Superman and Galchenyuk is some lazy leech but on 3 of Troubas 4 goals Gally has assists. Go figure.
'Cause his game is not solely about points. He does other things too. And the overall play of Trouba himself is not solely detrimental to how Galchenyuk pass him the puck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Jesus. The kid is 18 years old, playing against the very best players in the world his own age, including some NHL level players, far from home, and you go on and on. Relax. I really can't stand massive analysis of 18 year old players. He's not a pro, he's a kid. At that age, it's skate, shoot, pass hard. That's what it should be. That's all.
As harsh as you think some analysis is, it is all in retrospect of him being 18. Nobody, so far, has mentioned that US lost against Russian and Canada because of him. If he would be 19, then some might find a way to go at that length. But as kid as he is, he is a #3 pick. And some will say that if he would not have been injured, he would have been a #1 pick. Some other experts even go as far as to say that he would have been their #1 pick EVEN with the injury. Should we expect incredibly bigger things from such a high pick and just not be satisfied with the big points against weaker teams, to which the US team seems to have good chemistry but then lose it against powerful teams? That's about the only criticism we could have and have a right to have, to be more present against power teams. But then despite the 2 points, don't tell me he was a force to be reckon with against a weaker team like Slovakia compared to other players. Especially not when you compare it to the Germany game where THEN he was that force.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-01-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old
01-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I read the topic so I know what the mood is...

But for a guy whom many of you see as having a bad tourney, he's sure putting points on the sheet. I hope he has lots of seasons with us that are as bad this tourney has been, he can play bad and be second in scoring overall ANYTIME on my team. Better than the ****ing plug who plays great and finishes the year with 15 points.
Nobody is saying that he is having a BAD tourney. And clearly nobody mentions that they'd prefer having a Tom Pyatt in the lineup than a Galchenyuk. Problem is that the mood is all about people expecting more against powerful team especially based on his Germany showing and people being surprised how invisible he was compared to his other teamates against Slovakia. But then you have the others who defends him and I guess that's fine too. Until they then invent things that have being said as if we'd call him awful and all, which we are not.

He is playing with bad linemates. Clearly. But he looked great with the same linemates against Germany. Was his linemates suddenly great? Or is it him who took charge during that game?

Old
01-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Then there's the question of which top Forward talent is doing consistently well in this tournament? RNH in Canada's group. Not much more... Many in the other group are also not playing well (haven't watched their games to comment). You have some players who have overperformed like Drouin but he had much lower expectations because of his age. Collberg is getting very good reviews but pre-tournament expectations were much lower.

Despite wanting to see more from Galchenyuk (I feel he needs to learn to produce in under optimal conditions), at the same time this tournament has helped convince me that I would pick him above Yakupov (who's having a disastrous tournament) and Grigorenko. From what I've read, Forsberg has not been a shining star either...

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 01-01-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old
01-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Jesus. The kid is 18 years old, playing against the very best players in the world his own age, including some NHL level players, far from home, and you go on and on. Relax. I really can't stand massive analysis of 18 year old players. He's not a pro, he's a kid. At that age, it's skate, shoot, pass hard. That's what it should be. That's all.
18 is young, but the hockey world moves fast. The mode NHL rookie forward is 20 years old. Many/most posters here want to see Galchenyuk in Montreal as soon as the lockout ends, possibly in two weeks. At that point he will have a 3mil cap hit, and the finer points of the game will definitely matter. At this point he's closer to being a pro than a kid, at least on the ice.

Anyway, I don't see the details of playing well without the puck as detracting from the fun of the game. Without attention to detail, it's just a level above hungry-hungry hippos. Top teenagers are certainly able to grasp the complexities of the game - it was a pleasure to watch RNH out-think everyone else on the ice yesterday! I don't think cerebral players see the mental aspect as a chore that has made them grow up too fast. It adds to the dimension and fun of the sport.

Basically I think That's comments are completely in line with Galchenyuk's experience and expectations (and I think Gally would agree), and in line with the spirit of the game. I appreciate reading them.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:03 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Nobody is saying that he is having a BAD tourney. And clearly nobody mentions that they'd prefer having a Tom Pyatt in the lineup than a Galchenyuk. Problem is that the mood is all about people expecting more against powerful team especially based on his Germany showing and people being surprised how invisible he was compared to his other teamates against Slovakia. But then you have the others who defends him and I guess that's fine too. Until they then invent things that have being said as if we'd call him awful and all, which we are not.

He is playing with bad linemates. Clearly. But he looked great with the same linemates against Germany. Was his linemates suddenly great? Or is it him who took charge during that game?
like you said, Germany...

he doesnt have great linemates, everyone agrees on that... now, you think he should carry the play all game long against teams that are at least as good as the US at 18 years old ? come on now.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Neither.

His crappy linemates were able to play and be effective against the Germans.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
like you said, Germany...

he doesnt have great linemates, everyone agrees on that... now, you think he should carry the play all game long against teams that are at least as good as the US at 18 years old ? come on now.
Again, nobody is saying that he should be pedal to the medal during 60 minutes even the ones he's on the bench. He's 18 years old, yet much better prospect and ranked much higher than the majority of the players he's playing against. He should have been more visible against tougher teams. And clearly more against Slovakia. More visible is NOT about having 10 points a game, or shining on every one of his shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
[/B]

Neither.

His crappy linemates were able to play and be effective against the Germans.
And him as well. It's easy to see what he did right in that game himself compared to the other ones.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Then there's the question of which top Forward talent is doing consistently well in this tournament? RNH in Canada's group. Not much more... Many in the other group are also not playing well (haven't watched their games to comment). You have some players who have overperformed like Drouin but he had much lower expectations because of his age. Collberg is getting very good reviews but pre-tournament expectations were much lower.

Despite wanting to see more from Galchenyuk (I feel he needs to learn to produce in under optimal conditions), at the same time this tournament has helped convince me that I would pick him above Yakupov (who's having a disastrous tournament) and Grigorenko. From what I've read, Forsberg has not been a shining star either...
Good point that when you start looking at the rest of the forward group in this whole tournament.....it's rather quiet on that front. Though some will say that most Russia forwards are being extremely visible despite not being able to contribute more. Aaltonen could have been a real shining light but was injured. I think Scheifele and Strome have been noticeable though playing on a line with RNH...who wouldn't...though Huberdeau has had a tough time doing it despite his point totals. I like what Dano has done though playing on a weak team, expectations aren't there so it might be easier to do well. So all in all, this is the exact reason why I don't mention Galchenyuk as having a bad tournament. He doesn't. But I'd wish he'd be more visible against better teams....and be able to explode against Slovakia. That's all. And this is Galchenyuk we're talking about. A guy I had as our pick 6 months before draft day. A guy I had ahead of Grigorenko for quite some time. THE guy we HAD to pick and we will be happy having for the next 15 years. Not sure if that's clear enough but in a free world, you are allowed to discuss the play of one of your favorites even if it end up not being 100% positive. Gally isn't US biggest problem. But if they want to progress in this tournament, they will need him. Let's hope Housely sees the light and get him off Kuraly and Barber. But I don't see it happening with the last performance....

Old
01-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Again, nobody is saying that he should be pedal to the medal during 60 minutes even the ones he's on the bench. He's 18 years old, yet much better prospect and ranked much higher than the majority of the players he's playing against. He should have been more visible against tougher teams. And clearly more against Slovakia. More visible is NOT about having 10 points a game, or shining on every one of his shift.

And him as well. It's easy to see what he did right in that game himself compared to the other ones.
It is because his teammates were able to get him the puck that he was able to shine in that game. Kuraly and Barber have looked overmatched in the subsequent games whereas Galchenyuk has been very dangerous when he has had possession. Kuraly in particular has been a turnover machine.

If he was playing with RNH we wouldn't be having this conversation. We would be discussing whether he clearly should have went #1 overall.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:40 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Good players find a way to get on the scoresheet even when they are not playing their best hockey.

I'll take tied for 2nd in the tournament in points as a 18 year old, not playing his natural position, not getting top player ice-time and having to endure the disaster that is Kuraly.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I'm really not worried by Galchenyuk's play. As others mentionned, no 2012 draftee really dominate. It is a very high level of hockey and he's showing good qualities. He's also not in the best situation.

I deeply hate the production argument though. I know the games were early and most people did not watch them but the scoresheets is a VERY small part of the history. 4 games is not enough to evaluate a player on numbers, far from it. Not that I think Galchenyuk should be bashed, but the production argument is not valid.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Galchenyuk video from yesterday: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-trocheck-usa/

''In my mind, I was pretty bad today...the decisions I made, the plays I made, I wasn't happy with myself the whole game.''

Old
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Galchenyuk video from yesterday: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-trocheck-usa/

''In my mind, I was pretty bad today...the decisions I made, the plays I made, I wasn't happy with myself the whole game.''
It was definitely his worst game. He looked like he was getting frustrated but he is too young to understand that some things are simply out of your control.

When your linemates are struggling it can make you question yourself and alter your game.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

You know what, you may see him dominate the medal rounds now, when ever something like this happened in the O the next game he comes back and beasts. I believe his 5 point night came after a zero and he admitted he felt like he was struggling

Old
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
You know what, you may see him dominate the medal rounds now, when ever something like this happened in the O the next game he comes back and beasts. I believe his 5 point night came after a zero and he admitted he felt like he was struggling
Well i sure hope he can display another level of his game. (Please dont attack me).

A Galchenyuk fan.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 01-01-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
vipergtx18*

link to scoring leaders

http://stats.worldjunior2013.com/Hyd...00_85B_7_0.pdf

Old
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtx18 View Post
Funny that the only other USA player on the list is Trouba. While Huberdeau's line-mates are all up there with him.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:05 PM
That

Quote:
I really can't stand when people don't like criticism of players. Galchenyuk is a 3rd overall pick, one whom many say they would take over the 1st overall pick. Additionally he's coming into one of the most unforgiving sports markets in the world. Because of those things, there's high expectations on his play. When you watch a player for so long, you expect a certain level of play, a certain level of compete and neither of those have been there.

Galchenyuk has not been the ferocious forechecker that he usually. He does not need to the puck on his stick to forecheck. He hasn't been the three zone player that he normally is either. Again, you don't need the puck on your stick to play in your own zone.

Yesterdays game may be the worst I've ever seen him play, but it's done and over with now. He recognizes that he has to be better, and with his work ethic he will play better. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Thanks for the insight into his play over the past few games. Hopefully he finds the confidence/will to step it up in the medal round.

I asked for That's comments and he kindly obliged.
Thanks for the kind words.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Funny that the only other USA player on the list is Trouba. While Huberdeau's line-mates are all up there with him.
Someone should tell Nail the tournament has started.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtx18 View Post
It amusing that anyone can see faults with a player that's tied for 2nd overall pts in a tournament of this quality of players and when his icetime is that of a 4th line player even laughable.He will be rested for the playoffs,lookout Swiss you may resemble cheese when USA gets through with you.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
I've noticed the same. Great call. Hope you're right!

Old
01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

Germany's a weak team ...

Old
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to raise his play significantly, but it is certainly not to expect him to elevate his level of play. Galchenyuk one of the most offensively dynamic players in the entire CHL and he hasn't been creating. When you're that skilled, you can carry a line. He hasn't done that. The only times he's looked dangerous are the shifts where he's gotten a point. I think the fact that he has 7 points while playing as bad as he has is a testament to how skilled he actually is.

Now I certainly don't want to put the blame all on him. Housley makes Jacques Beaulieu look like a great coach. I don't know why he hasn't recognized that the Galchenyuk-Karuly-Barber line has zero chemistry. Barber has actually played his best hockey when he's been away from the line and don't get me started on Karuly. There was one moment in today's game where Galchenyuk started the cycle and went to get open. By the time Galchenyuk got open, Karuly blindly threw a pass around the boards thinking Galchenyuk was still there. Personally, I really liked the Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Lucia line that played the first Pre-Tournament game. Trocheck and Galchenyuk didn't really look very good in their Pre-Tournament game, but I think their styles would mesh well. I'd like to see a Galchenyuk-Trocheck-Lucia/Miller line.

The individual things that Galchenyuk could work on would be his shot, passing, and stickhandling. His shots are always slightly high and wide, his passes are too powerful and a bit high, and he's stickhandling a little too much (today specifically). Today he had two turnovers that wouldn't have happened if he just kept things simple. I want to say that his passing and shooting can be attributed to the larger ice, but I'm not sure if that is case. The circle (where he likes to shot from) is located in the exact same spot as it is on smaller ice. Maybe his passing is affected though. Sure his Karuly and Barber aren't getting him to the puck, but great player recognize that and find a way to get open so they can. Galchenyuk hasn't been doing a great job of getting open.

The biggest thing that he has to work on though is his mentality on the ice. It's never ever been a problem, until now. He's not backchecking at all, his defensive game is non-existent, and doesn't seem very willing in engaging along the boards. He usually never has a problem doing any of those things.

This is the worst stretch of hockey he's played since the beginning of the season. After that fifth game I don't recall him having two poor games in a row, he's had three now. I have this weird feeling were going to be seeing a big game from Galchenyuk soon though. You could see the relief on his face after he buried that goal late in the game.
And he's what, second leading scorer in the tournament... at only 18 years old? While I'm one to usually bring people down to earth with their expectations, especially with prospects, what Galchenyuk is doing at this tournament, with limited ice time, is nothing short of amazing. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Remember folks: he was picked 3rd overall, not first...

Closed Thread