HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Best F-D-G combination ever?

View Poll Results: FDG
Gordie Howe-Red Kelly-Terry Sawchuk 23 7.99%
Dit Clapper-Eddie Shore-Tiny Thompson 0 0%
Wayne Gretzky-Paul Coffey-Grant Fuhr 65 22.57%
Mario Lemieux-Paul Coffey-Tom Barrasso 7 2.43%
Phil Esposito-Bobby Orr-Gerry Cheevers 21 7.29%
Jean Beliveau-Doug Harvey-Jacques Plante 40 13.89%
Steve Yzerman-Nicklas Lidstrom-Dominik Hasek 66 22.92%
Guy Lafleur-Larry Robinson-Ken Dryden 20 6.94%
Bobby Hull-Pierre Pilote-Glenn Hall 4 1.39%
Frank Nighbor-Sprague Cleghorn-Clint Benedict 0 0%
Mark Messier-Brian Leetch-Mike Richter 0 0%
Joe Sakic-Ray Bourque-Patrick Roy 39 13.54%
Dave Keon-Tim Horton-Johnny Bower 2 0.69%
Syl Apps-Red Horner-Turk Broda 0 0%
Howie Morenz-Sylvio Mantha-George Hainsworth 1 0.35%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
  #26
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
In 1985-86 Gretzky + Coffey put up 353 points.

Three-hundred....and fifty three

2 players

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #27
Izzy
Moderator
#SloveniaForGold2018
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,118
vCash: 270
Doesn't matter who the forward is with Lidstrom and Hasek.

Hasek is easily the greatest goalie ever, and Lidstrom is a top 3 defenseman.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #28
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
In 1985-86 Gretzky + Coffey put up 353 points.

Three-hundred....and fifty three

2 players
On a team that gave up over 300 goals.

The reason that trio isn't the best is the same reason those Oilers teams aren't the best: they weren't elite both ways.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
  #29
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
On a team that gave up over 300 goals.

The reason that trio isn't the best is the same reason those Oilers teams aren't the best: they weren't elite both ways.
In that season Gretzky and Coffey were #1 and #2 on the team with +71 and +61 respectively

I don't think your argument holds up.

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
  #30
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
On a team that gave up over 300 goals.

The reason that trio isn't the best is the same reason those Oilers teams aren't the best: they weren't elite both ways.
Yeah they cruised to 5 cups in 7 years by not being the best.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  #31
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Doesn't matter who the forward is with Lidstrom and Hasek.

Hasek is easily the greatest goalie ever, and Lidstrom is a top 3 defenseman.
not really

I love Hasek(he's my favorite hockey player ever actually) but peak Sawchuk and Plante>2002 Hasek


as for Lidstrom he's great and all but so is Harvey,there's a reason tons of people would actually put Harvey ahead of him

and Red Kelly is no more than a few spots behind himself

then of course Howe and Beliveau are>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yzerman(especial ly 2002 Yzerman)

really the forwards make this not even close


Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
It's because people are voting based on "peak/prime" because it wasn't specified.

And in a poll of peak/prime, that group should win; it has three of the ten best players ever.
uh what?

Yzerman/Lidstrom/Hasek are 3 of the 10 best players ever?

Lidstrom and Hasek okay sure it's certainly debatable but I can see that

but Yzerman? seriously?

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
  #32
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,478
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
It's because people are voting based on "peak/prime" because it wasn't specified.

And in a poll of peak/prime, that group should win; it has three of the ten best players ever.
Who's in the top 10 players of all time? Steve Yzerman? Surely you jest. He can't hold a jockstrap to the likes of Beliveau or Howe, he isn't even one of the 10 best players at his own position.

And on top of that the 90's Red Wings weren't in their primes at the same time. If we're going by primes I'll take the Avs trio over them without much thinking since I'd always take Sakic over Yzerman, Bourque easily over Lidstrom and Roy easily over Hasek and that line of thinking (basing your vote on primes without taking into account when their prime seasons took place) would be quite ridiculous.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  #33
MakeTheGoalsLarger
Registered User
 
MakeTheGoalsLarger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
beliveau - plante - harvey

of course i haven't sen everyone play, i'm basing my vote on stats .... like most people do

these are the individual awards won by habs players from 55 to 65

1965 Conn Smythe Jean Beliveau
1964 Hart Jean Beliveau
1964 Vezina Charlie Hodge
1962 Hart Jacques Plante
1962 Vezina Jacques Plante
1961 Art Ross Bernie Geoffrion
1961 Hart Bernie Geoffrion
1961 James Norris Doug Harvey
1960 James Norris Doug Harvey
1960 Vezina Jacques Plante
1959 Art Ross Dickie Moore
1959 Calder Ralph Backstrom
1959 James Norris Tom Johnson
1959 Vezina Jacques Plante
1958 Art Ross Dickie Moore
1958 James Norris Doug Harvey
1958 Vezina Jacques Plante
1957 James Norris Doug Harvey
1957 Vezina Jacques Plante
1956 Art Ross Jean Beliveau
1956 Hart Jean Beliveau
1956 James Norris Doug Harvey
1956 Vezina Jacques Plante
1955 Art Ross Bernie Geoffrion
1955 James Norris Doug Harvey

So Beliveau, Plante and Harvey won everything in 1956, including the cup. The conn smythe trophy did not exist at the time.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  #34
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Yeah they cruised to 5 cups in 7 years by not being the best.
The Plante/Harvey/Beliveau Habs won five in five years.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  #35
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
The Plante/Harvey/Beliveau Habs won five in five years.
Dominating 21 teams >>>>>>>>>> dominating 6 teams

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
  #36
Lion
Registered User
 
Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 50
Gretzky - Greatest player in history
Coffey - Put up three 120+ point seasons including a 48 goal season as a defenseman
Fuhr - Hall of famer goalie

'Nuff said.

Detroit would be my second choice

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
  #37
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,105
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I don't get how they aren't dominating. I guess most posters remember the 90's better.
I think 90% of the people on this board are 24 or less

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
  #38
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Dominating 21 teams >>>>>>>>>> dominating 6 teams
The teams the Habs played against were better.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  #39
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
01 Avs: Roy was a great goalie, but at his best he's not Plante at his best and certainly not at the end of his career. Bourque was at the end of his career, and was still very good, but no longer "Ray Bourque". Sakic had a great year, but he's still not Beliveau or Howe. And his peak year doesn't outweigh all of the weaknesses in the other two.
Would it be better to go with Sakic/Roy/Foote from 1996?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:41 PM
  #40
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
beliveau - plante - harvey

of course i haven't sen everyone play, i'm basing my vote on stats .... like most people do

these are the individual awards won by habs players from 55 to 65

1965 Conn Smythe Jean Beliveau
1964 Hart Jean Beliveau
1964 Vezina Charlie Hodge
1962 Hart Jacques Plante
1962 Vezina Jacques Plante
1961 Art Ross Bernie Geoffrion
1961 Hart Bernie Geoffrion
1961 James Norris Doug Harvey
1960 James Norris Doug Harvey
1960 Vezina Jacques Plante
1959 Art Ross Dickie Moore
1959 Calder Ralph Backstrom
1959 James Norris Tom Johnson
1959 Vezina Jacques Plante
1958 Art Ross Dickie Moore
1958 James Norris Doug Harvey
1958 Vezina Jacques Plante
1957 James Norris Doug Harvey
1957 Vezina Jacques Plante
1956 Art Ross Jean Beliveau
1956 Hart Jean Beliveau
1956 James Norris Doug Harvey
1956 Vezina Jacques Plante
1955 Art Ross Bernie Geoffrion
1955 James Norris Doug Harvey

So Beliveau, Plante and Harvey won everything in 1956, including the cup. The conn smythe trophy did not exist at the time.
I don't have any problem with taking the Habs trio (it's between them, Oilers and Howe-Wings IMO), but I'd just like to point out that the Vezina back then was as meaningful an award as the Jennings trophy is today. Given how dominant the Habs were Plante did not have to play great to win all those trophies (not saying he didn't play great, just that his hardware is not what makes him such an all-time great).

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
  #41
MakeTheGoalsLarger
Registered User
 
MakeTheGoalsLarger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
did user with multiple accounts voted decide to put the 2002 red wings on top?

seriously, they are like the rory fitzpatrick of this poll. They don't even deserve to be in the poll.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  #42
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
It's Howe's group for me.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:37 PM
  #43
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Howe-Kelly-Sawchuck
Gretzky-Coffey-Fuhr
Esposito-Orr-Cheevers
Beliveau-Harvey-Plante
Yzerman-Lidstrom-Hasek
Lafleur-Robinson-Dryden
Hull-Pilote-Hall
Sakic-Bourque-Roy

Any of these 8 and you can't go wrong. I think it's pretty tough to bring the Morenz's and Shore's into this, the game and the position of defense in particular was much different.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
  #44
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
The teams the Habs played against were better.
I don't think so.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
  #45
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Doesn't matter who the forward is with Lidstrom and Hasek.

Hasek is easily the greatest goalie ever, and Lidstrom is a top 3 defenseman.
I think Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuck, Patrick Roy have much stronger arguments then you realize. IMO Glenn Hall is the greatest goalie ever based on everything i know and have heard. It's always tough to compare generations and place one players accomplishments so far above anothers. Hall revolutionized the position by creating the butterfly style and carrying the expansion St.Louis Blues to 3 consecutive finals. He did win 2 cups which is pretty good for a guy who never played for the Canadiens. Mr. Goalie played in 13 All Star Games and won 3 Veznia's to go with 7 First team all star selections (an NHL record), and 3 second team selections.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
  #46
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Who's in the top 10 players of all time? Steve Yzerman? Surely you jest. He can't hold a jockstrap to the likes of Beliveau or Howe, he isn't even one of the 10 best players at his own position.

And on top of that the 90's Red Wings weren't in their primes at the same time. If we're going by primes I'll take the Avs trio over them without much thinking since I'd always take Sakic over Yzerman, Bourque easily over Lidstrom and Roy easily over Hasek and that line of thinking (basing your vote on primes without taking into account when their prime seasons took place) would be quite ridiculous.
Steve Yzerman is a reasonable vote for a top 10 center all time. Sakic over Yzerman is not an easy position.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
  #47
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
In that season Gretzky and Coffey were #1 and #2 on the team with +71 and +61 respectively

I don't think your argument holds up.
Being +71 and +61 has alot to do with putting up 353 points, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Yeah they cruised to 5 cups in 7 years by not being the best.
Best of their era? Yes. Best ever? Not even close.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
  #48
Sasso09
Registered User
 
Sasso09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Who's in the top 10 players of all time? Steve Yzerman? Surely you jest. He can't hold a jockstrap to the likes of Beliveau or Howe, he isn't even one of the 10 best players at his own position.

And on top of that the 90's Red Wings weren't in their primes at the same time. If we're going by primes I'll take the Avs trio over them without much thinking since I'd always take Sakic over Yzerman, Bourque easily over Lidstrom and Roy easily over Hasek and that line of thinking (basing your vote on primes without taking into account when their prime seasons took place) would be quite ridiculous.
Dude.. Yzerman, lidstrom and Hasek are pretty much as a whole.. Even with Sakic, Bourque, Roy.... In fact

Sakic = Yzerman
Bourque =< lidstrom
Roy >= Hasek ( I personally rather have Hasek he's my favorite player of all time along with Bure )

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
  #49
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Being +71 and +61 has alot to do with putting up 353 points, no?



Best of their era? Yes. Best ever? Not even close.
You kidding look at that roster. The 70's Habs are the only team that you can even make a case for as far as greatest teams of all time.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #50
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm gonna go with Lafleur-Robinson-Dryden

I would argue it's the most balanced of the group with a super-elite talent at all 3 positions, it had all 3 of them in their prime and together for a long time, and most importantly, all 3 of them were the best at their respective positions (F, D, G) on the 1976-77 Habs, which for my money is the greatest team in NHL history.
You can use that same argument for Beliveau-Harvey-Plante.

All 3 are generally considered better at their respective positions, too.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.