HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Clock

vCash: 500
Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - 9/10

This game doesn't really have a campaign mode (it's a sandbox-ish game), but it's pretty awesome if you're into strategy games that let you win via diplomacy / economics / cultural spread.

It's pretty light on hardware requirements too, so it makes for a solid one to have installed on a laptop.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Mass Effect-8 out 10 I dld off the psn. The game felt really short as compared to the other two. Playing the other two then this one I'm glad the changed a bunch of the game play as the series went along button mapping weapons/amour upgrades etc. Also who ever did the import to the ps3 :there in no "cross button" there in an x button though. How they could screw that up is beyond me.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - 9/10

This game doesn't really have a campaign mode (it's a sandbox-ish game), but it's pretty awesome if you're into strategy games that let you win via diplomacy / economics / cultural spread.

It's pretty light on hardware requirements too, so it makes for a solid one to have installed on a laptop.
Awww you have to get the Star Trek Conversion Mod for Sins... it's sooooo good:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-...ce-of-angels-2

Last game I beat was FTL (Faster than Light) really hard but fun top-down indy spaceship game.

Right now working on decks in Magic the Gathering 2013... put off playing it for a long time.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Frankie Spankie

Beat a couple of games in the past 24 hours!

Mark of the Ninja - 9.5/10

Absolutely awesome, they do just about everything right. Gameplay feels amazing, stealth mechanics are awesome, story was really good, etc, etc. Indie game of the year for me for sure. Best ninja game I have ever played, one of the best platformers I have ever played, I can go on... My ONLY complain about the entire game was that the controls felt awkward at times. They're not broken by any means but when you're on a wall and dropping to a lower ledge or climbing onto a higher ledge, the controls can get a bit awkward. It was consistent but there were a good amount of times where I had trouble getting exactly where I wanted to because of the controls. Enough for me to notice and drop it a rating because of it, not enough for it to be a gamebreaking problem. Buy this game!!

Spec Ops: The Line - 8.5/10

Yeah, it's really average gameplay wise. Console cover based third person shooter, it was pretty annoying on PC having a ton of controls bound to one button. Damn consolitis! The story was really good though. I liked the spin as most games glorify the soldier in war, you don't really see many games like this where they actually show how terrifying war can be and what kind of a toll it can take on one's mind. The ending was really great too. I feel like it's similar to The Walking Dead in the sense that you don't play it for the gameplay, you play it for the story. If you can't get involved into the story, this game clearly isn't for you. If you can and want a fresh spin on a modern war shooter, give this one a go.

Hotline Miami - 9/10

Tons of fun, short, but tons of fun. If I could describe it, I would describe it as a hybrid strategy/action game. It's so fast paced and you die in one hit that every move you make has to matter. The over the top violence is always enjoyable for me but it's not necessarily that that made me love this one. It's just a very satisfying feeling running around and actually making some thing ridiculous happen that you shouldn't have had a chance but you still made it work. Story was kind of all over the place and one of those, you interpret it yourself instead of clear-cut. I wasn't that impressed with the story but man was it a fun game to play.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Frankie Spankie

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - 7/10

Only about an hour and a half long. Pretty neat little physics based platformer where you have to cut and pull platforms towards yourself. The story was pretty lame and about half way through I was already skipping the cutscenes. Fun for a little while when you're cutting, pulling, pushing platforms in every direction to fit your need.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:37 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Red Dead Redemption (on the 360 this time): 9/10

I've hit 100% of it three times on my PS3, so helping a friend get 100% on his 360 was a piece of cake. With that said, as great as this game is, the bount hunting missions are too repetitive and tedious, and herding and horsebreaking still sucks.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Frankie Spankie

I Am Alive - 8/10

Really cool idea and story in a dark, post-apocalyptic setting. It's one of the post-apocalyptic settings that are actually believable, sorry but games like Fallout just don't look believable to me at all. I also loved the scavenging, bullets were very rare and you had to choose wisely when to use them. Even empty guns could be used as a form of intimidation. Platforming worked really well and I liked the stamina system. My biggest complaint though which dropped it significantly in rating is the controls. Wow are the controls bad. Terrible console controls where they think it's smart to bind different actions to the same key, because binding shoot and run to the same key apparently makes sense. Also, the camera was the buggiest camera I have ever seen. You could move the mouse and the camera wouldn't move at all or incredibly slowly. The controls were incredibly frustrating at times but mostly due to the fact that it seemed like my mouse was broken.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Frankie Spankie

I understand that but I just don't find it all that believable. We can agree to disagree on the matter if that's the case.

Speaking of which, I do need to start those games from the original soon.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Dishonored: 8.5/10

intriguing storyline, good characters, but the campaign was too short and difficult IMO. Plus, the majority of the achievements are ridiculous, how am I supposed to beat the game without alerting or killing anyone? Anyways, good game overall.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Saints Row DLC:

Genki Bowl VII - 3/10

Just a rehash of other activities in the game, but added in Panda Skydiving which makes you want to smash your controller.

Gangstas in Space - 8/10

Awesome DLC, love the movie style filter they put on everything. Mission variety is great.

The Trouble with Clones - 7/10

Way too short and the story was stupid even by Saints Row standards. But the superhero abilities were fun as hell, why they didn't let you keep them after finishing the game is beyond me. Some of the best stuff they put in the entire game only to have them stripped away at the end.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Kyle93
LL4Life

vCash: 0
Dark Souls 9/10

Honestly I got so hooked on this game and I wish I played it last year when it came out. It's so underrated and there is a lot of replayability to it. I have well over 100 hours in the game so far.

Kyle93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Zodiac

Mark of the Ninja (pc)

7/10

pros:
  1. nice art style
  2. some very good stealth mechanics
  3. at it's best moments, you actually kinda feel like a badass ninja.

cons:
  1. after playing through roughly half of the game it starts to get extremely repetitive.
  2. there's some very annoying trial and error with some cheap deaths.
  3. the game starts to really drag on after awhile. (kinda goes hand in hand with #1)
  4. the ending was rather underwhelming.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Frankie Spankie

Unmechanical - 7/10

Fun little puzzle game. Not long, no story, but challenging at times. Pretty short too unfortunately. The artwork was nice but aside from that, the game is really average. A little disappointed in this one, probably because I've been waiting for a while for it to go on sale too...

Old
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Arkham City is a good game

8/10

These games appear to be very short though but advancing through is good fun albeit difficult

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Just beat Demon's Souls. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. I definately think Dark Souls is the more difficult (and superior) game.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Uncharted 3 - 9.5/10 I found it to be better than the first one (which is probably 8/10) and the second one (9/10). I liked the story better and the Nate-tripping-balls sequence was pretty good

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:04 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (beat it for the 4th time last night on my PS3) : 9/10

It's truly one of the greatest PS2 if not one of the greatest video games of all time IMO.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:57 AM
patsbury

Assassin's Creed 3
6.5/10
The beginning is freaking slow, it feels like a 6 hours tutorial...hello Ubisoft, it is the 5th in the series, most players know how to play and new features shouldn't take that long to learn, gosh. The ending is such a disappointment, not what was anticipated *sigh* I though they couldn't make it worst than AC:R, but yeah they did...plus so many glitches.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Flashback, flashforward, flashback, flashforward...no, I just don't like that format of playing. I prefer a straightforward game. I also didn't like the way they handle the futuristic aspect of the game, seems to scifi for me; don't care about multiplayers...

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:51 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

AC3 - 9/10

this game was amazing, loved playing it, don't why people were complaining about glitches, i only encountered 3 of them

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Habsfan22100

Portal 2: 9.5/10

Great game. Wished it was a bit longer, but still excellent.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

COD BOPS2 7.5 out of 10. I took points off because it crashed a few times on me and those missions where you have to control and order the drones/squads are beyond annoying.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:23 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Nes games beaten since a few weeks back:

Mega Man 2 - Best game of all time.

10/10

Mega Man 3 - The greatest series on the NES, a bit more difficult than the best game in the series (MM2) fun champs to play against and yet again the music is absolutely top notch. A few of the best tunes in gaming history. It's a shame the game has so many slow-downs or "fps drops" if you will... it ruins a bit of the feeling. Still one of the better NES games and takes a crap on most games today.

9/10

Chip & Dale - Rescue Rangers

Fun, especially playing two players.. good fun, too easy but still entertaining.

7/10

Turtles II: The Arcade Game

One of the best co-op games of all time. It's so much fun, good graphics, nice music and decent difficulty. Had a blast playing it!

10/10

I'll be beating more games in the next week or so.. the NES is fantastic.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Unholy Diver

Darksiders 2 7.5/10

Good game, never played the first one so didn't know what to expect, was a little more puzzle heavy that I expected and some of them (portals and time portals ) I could have done with less of

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Nes games beaten since a few weeks back:

Mega Man 2 - Best game of all time.

10/10
I just replayed this one too, bought a refurbished NES and got a lot of games that had the first 4 Megamans in it. Definitely brings back the memories, having to re-learn how to do that block jumping sequence in the Heatman stage without any powerups was fun. Hardest stage for me was Quickman if you aren't using any of the weapons you've gained from previous bosses.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Sleeping Dogs (PS3): 8.5/10

The main story was VERY enjoyable I thought and the combat system is/was badass as hell. With that said, the controls were awkward at times and I wish they could have made the main storyline a little longer. Maybe by another five or ten missions or so.

For the $30 I paid for this game, I think it's beyond fantastic.