HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Looks like we need a CB.

Quote:
Alan Robinson ‏@arobinson_Trib
Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think it's much of a rivalry right now. The games with the Browns are not highly anticipated like a real rivalry with Ravens/Steelers etc. It has the potential to be a big rivalry again one day because the cities are close and the teams play in the same division. It's been a long time since it's been one though.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Do people still consider the Browns to be a big rival? It's be over 20 years since they mattered and they've also have had a complete franchise swap. Unless you were old enough to understand sports in the mid-80's (and I imagine most on the board aren't), this has been as one-sided as a "rivalry" can get.

As a fan, I don't buy the Browns as a real rival and I'm old enough to have went to a Steelers vs (old) Browns game that actually mattered in the playoffs in the early 90's. Ever since they came back into the league, it's been utter domination by the Steelers and while the Steelers have been a consistently great team, the Browns are probably the worst franchise in the league since they came back.

I just can't get into a rivalry that's been so absurdly one-sided and hasn't been relevant int he standings since the mid-80's. It's effeing 2013 now. The only rival I feel like the Steelers have had in the longest time is the Ravens. I just cannot buy fully into a rivalry when one team is so inept. It's like big bro picking on little bro instead of being two equals.
its obviously been dormant for years. but the browns and steelers will always be rivals.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Looks like we need a CB.
If they can't get him signed, they have to franchise him. Can't afford to lose him.

I rather have Lewis over Wallace. Receivers are much easier to replace than corners.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Steelers drafted Timmons as an OLB in hopes that he would replace Porter or Haggans. Steelers had no idea Woodley would still be there in round two or that Harrison would play as special as he did for a number of years. Once things played out the way they did Timmons got moved inside but that was not the plan or the need when he was drafted. The Steelers were pretty happy with ILB's Farrior and Foote at that time. It was Haggans and Porter that were on the outs. They did want Revis though. That is a fact. Revis himself said the Steelers told him they were going to pick him but the Jets traded up and stole him away.

Keenan Lewis kind of pisses me off. He has a chip on his shoulder about this organization? A lot of teams would have cut his ass given his performance early in his career. The Steelers showed great patience with him and developed him very well when a lot of teams probably would have given up on the kid.

Lewis came into this season not as a solid starter but as a guy in a battle with Cortez Allen for a starting spot. He needed to prove he was a starter and prove his worth on the field this year to get a new contract and he did but the Steelers were right to make him prove it. No idea what his attitude is about. I totally get wanting to test UFA but just say you're going to do what's best for you financially and for your family etc. Spare me the attitude toward an organization that's been very good to you.

It is up to the Steelers whether he leaves. They can franchise him and try to work out a more cap friendly long-term deal later but I doubt they will. Maybe we will need to draft another CB. Oh well...

Old
01-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

The draft is certainly going to be interesting. It will be a few months before we even know what the glaring needs are depending on who's cut, restructured or re-upped.

Mingo, Jordan, Banks, Milliner, Hankins, Jenkins could all be options with our first rounder.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

draft talk is the only time I wish I cared about college football. I don't know who any of these people are.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
draft talk is the only time I wish I cared about college football. I don't know who any of these people are.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

This will learn you up real quick.

There's also a mock draft section where you can get a fairly decent idea of certain players potential draft position etc.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:08 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Well, come back in September.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

This will learn you up real quick.

There's also a mock draft section where you can get a fairly decent idea of certain players potential draft position etc.
I'll have to read up
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Well, come back in September.
hey I can still discuss who needs replaced or needs a backup ready. I just don't know who the replacements should be

Old
01-01-2013, 01:21 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Beating the Browns, we went from the #12 pick to the #17 pick. Brutal.
Yeah that really is huge as others have noted with examples of us just missing out on All-Pros like Willis and Revis. Funny thing is if the Browns had Richardson and Weedon play they probably would have beaten us.

I don't think many of you are NBA fans but I had to think about the incident with Stern fining the Spurs for sending their stars home on a long road trip before playing the Heat in Miami to rest them. Will Stern have the balls to drop fines on teams that start tanking it at the end of the season? I know that Weedon and Richardson were listed as injured but it just got me thinking.

Quote:
The draft is certainly going to be interesting. It will be a few months before we even know what the glaring needs are depending on who's cut, restructured or re-upped.

Mingo, Jordan, Banks, Milliner, Hankins, Jenkins could all be options with our first rounder.
I do not want a NT in the first round. Steve McLendon looked good out there this season and if we hold onto Ta'amu I'd prefer we draft a CB or 3-4 pass rushing OLB if a possible stud at either position is available at 17. I'd definitely be happy with Mingo, Banks, or Milliner. And Dion Jordan is definitely and interesting player being such an athletic freak.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I do not want a NT in the first round. Steve McLendon looked good out there this season and if we hold onto Ta'amu I'd prefer we draft a CB or 3-4 pass rushing OLB if a possible stud at either position is available at 17. I'd definitely be happy with Mingo, Banks, or Milliner. And Dion Jordan is definitely and interesting player being such an athletic freak.
I don't either to be perfectly honest. I can definitely see it happening though if they think it's BPA.

I'm hoping Jones, Te'o or Werner drops. Banks would be a great pick as well. The 2nd rounder will be a solid player too. From what I understand we're super high on Swearinger although I can see Arthur Brown or Chase Thomas there too. Reid if he's still available which I would doubt.

I'm also hoping there's a huge run of overdrafting before our pick so someone does fall like DD last year. A nice run on either QB's, DT's or OL would benefit us immensely.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:32 PM
No Quarter

[QUOTE=Mr Jiggyfly;56984875]I've watched a ton of both and Willis is in a different universe than Timmons.

His speed and instincts are off the charts.[/QUOTE

I personally think Timmons is faster than Willis.
Still Willis is the better player but I think Timmons got him in speed and quickness.
I think Timmons may be the fastest inside backer in the league especially in closing speed.
Again I'm not sayin this as a stiller homer I just watch an assload of football because I have the nfl package and Timmons is the fastest/quickest I've seen in the past few years and he hits like a freakin truck.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I don't either to be perfectly honest. I can definitely see it happening though if they think it's BPA.

I'm hoping Jones, Te'o or Werner drops. Banks would be a great pick as well. The 2nd rounder will be a solid player too. From what I understand we're super high on Swearinger although I can see Arthur Brown or Chase Thomas there too. Reid if he's still available which I would doubt.

I'm also hoping there's a huge run of overdrafting before our pick so someone does fall like DD last year. A nice run on either QB's, DT's or OL would benefit us immensely.
We're on the exact same page for NT then. If it's the best player available then I won't flip out about it, but if a guy like Banks is there I won't be happy

Pass Rushers:
Jarvis Jones would be fantastic. Werner is a best rushing the passer but can he play in space when he has to drop into coverage? I'm not sure if he had to do that at FSU. Dion Jordan covers freaking wide receivers so he can do it but he hasn't looked like anything special going after the QB.

My gut feeling right now is that Barkevious Mingo could be our guy if he has a good combine.

Safeties:
Swearinger or Reid would be nice. Polamalu was just solid last season and we could use the upgrade there for sure.

Yes I love when all of the teams ahead of us take QB's to push position talent down to us! Hopefully KC, Arizona, NYJ, and Philly all take QB's

I'd also love it if Montee Ball fell to us in the 2nd round, that kid just can't help but find the endzone.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'd love Mingo but I just can't see him being there (hope I'm wrong). I think he'll be immediately snatched up after Jarvis Jones comes off the board.

Alec Olgeltree just declared. He's a big MLB that's been pretty impressive this year.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
We're on the exact same page for NT then. If it's the best player available then I won't flip out about it, but if a guy like Banks is there I won't be happy

Pass Rushers:
Jarvis Jones would be fantastic. Werner is a best rushing the passer but can he play in space when he has to drop into coverage? I'm not sure if he had to do that at FSU. Dion Jordan covers freaking wide receivers so he can do it but he hasn't looked like anything special going after the QB.

My gut feeling right now is that Barkevious Mingo could be our guy if he has a good combine.

Safeties:
Swearinger or Reid would be nice. Polamalu was just solid last season and we could use the upgrade there for sure.

Yes I love when all of the teams ahead of us take QB's to push position talent down to us! Hopefully KC, Arizona, NYJ, and Philly all take QB's

I'd also love it if Montee Ball fell to us in the 2nd round, that kid just can't help but find the endzone.
Ya if/when we draft a DT I hope it's the 4th round or later. So ya definitely same page. If we take a lineman when there's a Banks or LB available I'll be screaming at my tv.

Jones would be amazing but I seriously doubt he'd drop. He can be a Von Miller type of force disrupting plays left and right. I'll be honest and say that I don't know what outside of passrushing that Werner can do. I'll be watching their bowl game to check him out but from what I hear he could be another top 10 pick. I'd love Jordan, I'd love him more if we can get him in the 2nd which ain't happening. He can be a guy that can stick to the Gronks of the world and give those type of guys fits which would be nice. He's seems raw as a passrusher. I'd prefer a guy who we can move around and rush from any angle and not just from the outside stuck to either the strong or weak.

Mingo had a great game yesterday but I'm still not sold on him overall. When he's at his best it seems like he's schemed for wide open rushing lanes which to his credit he uses his explosiveness and speed to get there lightning quick. I wouldn't be upset with him but he needs to develop an ability to shed blocks and have more one on one moves.

Reid is a monster. Decent in coverage but what he does best is what we love the most. He can lay the wood. He's a monster hitter/tackler and also very sure with his tackles. Like yesterday he can take some penalties for his aggression but you take the good with the bad.

I'm not sure if we're going to take a RB in the 2nd. Maybe Ball or Lacey I'd guess if we were but there will be too many good defensive players on the board for our pick. Depends on Mendy I assume. We'll see though as I wouldn't be upset if we did.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Going to be PISSED if Lewis doesn't return. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel we have a nice trio of corners in Ike, Lewis, and Cortez. Quickly becoming one of the most important positions in football. Have to have to HAVE to pay the man. We would know how good these guys really are if our abortion of a defensive line could ever do a damn thing.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Flat Stanley

Well, maybe the Steelers will franchise Lewis and negotiate an extension with him. I can't stand that attitude, though. So much cockiness in football players nowadays.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Going to be PISSED if Lewis doesn't return. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel we have a nice trio of corners in Ike, Lewis, and Cortez. Quickly becoming one of the most important positions in football. Have to have to HAVE to pay the man. We would know how good these guys really are if our abortion of a defensive line could ever do a damn thing.
I agree about Lewis.

D-Line is fine imo. The D was top 2 against the run and #1 against the pass. What they don't do well is make big plays. We need more sacks, FF, INT's etc. A young impact playmaker on defense is what we really need to find early in this upcoming draft.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Well, maybe the Steelers will franchise Lewis and negotiate an extension with him. I can't stand that attitude, though. So much cockiness in football players nowadays.
Agreed.

I think the franchise tag may be the way to go and then try to work out an extension from there. The only risk is that he refuses an extension and you get stuck with a ginormous franchise tag cap hit that the Steelers really don't have room for next year. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do here.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

[QUOTE=No Quarter;56985877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've watched a ton of both and Willis is in a different universe than Timmons.

His speed and instincts are off the charts.[/QUOTE

I personally think Timmons is faster than Willis.
Still Willis is the better player but I think Timmons got him in speed and quickness.
I think Timmons may be the fastest inside backer in the league especially in closing speed.
Again I'm not sayin this as a stiller homer I just watch an assload of football because I have the nfl package and Timmons is the fastest/quickest I've seen in the past few years and he hits like a freakin truck.
I haven't seen a guy who has instincts like Willis since Singletary.

Timmons is a good player, Willis is a great player.

I don't dwell on missed picks, I just agree with JT that losing a few spots can make big difference. Not always though, but he has a valid point.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

I don't dwell on missed picks, I just agree with JT that losing a few spots can make big difference. Not always though, but he has a valid point.
I don't disagree that losing a few spots makes a difference. But I strongly disagree with the idea that those spots are important enough to intentionally lose over.

edit: I know you never said otherwise. I'm just building off of what you were saying in general.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

I never got the purists who get all riled up when you say you hope that your team loses that last game or three to get a better pick when your season is over anyways. Do you actually believe that the players will dog it because of the team's draft position? Do you think that I have magical powers that I will choose to employ to make the team lose? Unless either of those are true, then what is the big deal?

Root for them to win, great with me, I will not judge. I will root for them to lose, do not judge me in return. I rooted strongly for the Pens to remain the worst team in the league in the Ovechkin draft. Hell, that team was so bad there was nothing other than that to root for. I even made suckage countdown threads to see the magic number to gain worst in the league. If we had won one more game then we would have had Cam Barker rather than Malkin. Good thing I employed my magical powers to make them lose that year, eh? But my idea of what would be better for the team is no less legitimate or irrational than yours, and does not make me less of a fan. My position came through a very logical path which even if you disagree with it, you can not deny that it at least has some rational underpinning.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:19 PM
No Quarter

[QUOTE=Mr Jiggyfly;56988093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post

I agree about the draft spots also I was only replying on the point of Timmons not being as huge of a drop off as some may think.
But it's true 4 or 5 spots mean a lot when your drafting in the teens
I think actually where we could've maybe had a beast like Jarvis jones fall to us if we lost that game and now we'll have more of a project, well maybe not a project but a player who prob won't crack the lineup immediately

Old
01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't disagree that losing a few spots makes a difference. But I strongly disagree with the idea that those spots are important enough to intentionally lose over.

edit: I know you never said otherwise. I'm just building off of what you were saying in general.
The players will never tank. Why would they? To get a better pick to take their job?

I just think they **** the bed this season and if they lost or won agt. Cleveland, it's a small matter.

But I wouldn't be upset if they lost and got a better pick.

Closed Thread