HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would Olympic rosters look without NHL?

Old
01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Canada would only have one high end player (Kevin Dallman, who should be in the NHL, he said he always gets NHL offers but he liked Astana, wonder if he changed his mind now that he was booted out).

It would be pretty horrible for the two North American countries, and I think a few European teams would suffer plenty as well (Slovakia missing Gaborik, Hossa, Halak, Chara, Mezaros etc. is ouch).

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:27 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
He would help the US chances by playing for the Finns. I was underwhelmed by Antti in Milwaukee. For every great play he made, he would make a boneheaded play too. He reminds me of Radulov, without the size advantage.
Ever since returning to Europe, Pihlström has been a NT staple on WHC level. Very good and speedy energy forward who has never been a liability in a checking line role.

Whether he was able to make it in the North American rinks or not doesn't concern the Finnish NT follower one bit. In fact, he has a fringe chance of making the team even if NHL players are involved.

As for Laakso, all one needs him for is to be a stay-at-home D. And given this would not exactly be best on best, he should perform just fine.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
DyerMaker66

Gretzky - Lemieux - Hawerchuk
Messier - Yzerman - Anderson
Robitaille - Francis - Sakic
Darche - Arnott - Ciccarelli

Stevens - MacInnis
Coffey - Murphy
Brett Clark - Campoli

Roy
Belfour
Fuhr

There you go: A team of Canadians not signed in the NHL.

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I remember in the 90's when Canada had David Emma playing on there team. The guy didn't even that season have a club to play on. He was that good

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Quickly looking through top European leagues, Canada probably something like this. Don't rely on the lines that much, but more to the names available.

Jeff Glass
Michael Garnett

Kevin Dallman - Kurtis Foster
Richie Regehr - Kyle Cumiskey
Travis Roche - Cory Murphy

Ramzi Abid-Stephen Dixon-Bud Holloway
Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Glen Metropolit-Eric Fehr
Randy Robitaille-Justin Hodgman-Christian Dubé
Geoff Platt-Byron Ritchie-Mike Iggulden

For USA, Chris Holt is maybe the best goalie available.

Defenseman: Clay Wilson, Jeremy Dehner, Brian Salcido, Dan Spang, Noah Welch, Andy Wozniewski...

Forwards: Steve Moses, Ben Eaves, Michael Ryan, Brandon Bochenski, Tim Stapleton, Broc Little, Dan Fritche...
Needs more Brandon Reid and Simon Gamache. Also, I'd have Jason Williams over Iggulden.

Domhnall Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Montecristo

USA (AHL counts)

Austin Watson-Alex galchenyuk-emerson etem
Bill Arnold- nick bjugstad- Brandon saad
Charlie coyle- tj tynan- John gaudreau
Jt miller- Kyle rau- Brian ferlin

David warsofsky- Jacob trouba
Adam clendening- jarred tinordi
Seth jones- Derek forbort

Jack campbell
John gibson

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
USA (AHL counts)

Austin Watson-Alex galchenyuk-emerson etem
Bill Arnold- nick bjugstad- Brandon saad
Charlie coyle- tj tynan- John gaudreau
Jt miller- Kyle rau- Brian ferlin

David warsofsky- Jacob trouba
Adam clendening- jarred tinordi
Seth jones- Derek forbort

Jack campbell
John gibson
How many of those fellows make their respective NHL teams before that? I see that top line being gone, Coyle, Bjugstad, Saad gone. Trouba, Tinordi maybe, Jones. Maybe one of those goalies as well?

01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
How many of those fellows make their respective NHL teams before that? I see that top line being gone, Coyle, Bjugstad, Saad gone. Trouba, Tinordi maybe, Jones. Maybe one of those goalies as well?
Challenging to predict a team when also factoring in who will and who won't be in the NHL at the time of the olympics

Rocco grimaldi- Riley barber- nick schmaltz
Bill arnold- Kevin hayes- Johnny gaudreau
Kyle rau- Greg Carey- Brian ferlin
Tony camarensi- JT compher- Dominic zombo

Pat sieloff- Brady skeji
Matt grzelcyk- Jordan schmaltz
Rob o gara- Derek forbort

Andy illes
John gibson

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Needs more Brandon Reid and Simon Gamache. Also, I'd have Jason Williams over Iggulden.
Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks this.. although it probably doesn't help that we're both Moosehead fans

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks this.. although it probably doesn't help that we're both Moosehead fans
True.

Domhnall Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalfan View Post
Yeah, no.
Haha I was just kidding.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:49 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
If NHLers (ie professionals) aren't allowed, why on earth would KHLers be allowed? This would be like going back to when Canada couldn't send any professional players, while the USSR sent ALL professionals and not surprisingly, won a lot of tournaments.
Because its about NHL-leaders being arrogant biaches. Not only the lockouts the NHL leaders make, but also they actually doubt if they will take part to olympics. If they don't, they shall lose all the worldwide intrest, those talks are disgusting.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Ever since returning to Europe, Pihlström has been a NT staple on WHC level. Very good and speedy energy forward who has never been a liability in a checking line role.

Whether he was able to make it in the North American rinks or not doesn't concern the Finnish NT follower one bit. In fact, he has a fringe chance of making the team even if NHL players are involved.
I think pihlström will be in, it doesn't matter if there are NHL'ers or not. Hes great for 4th line role, I dont see that many quality 4th liners better than him that we would have right now. Finland never takes full four lines of guys, that are used to play 1st line role. If we did, we had no chance. Canada can do it, because they have an all star team then, but other countries should try to make a balanced and well roled team.

Joensuu - Pihlström - Komarov

That would be awesome right now

Old
01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Because its about NHL-leaders being arrogant biaches. Not only the lockouts the NHL leaders make, but also they actually doubt if they will take part to olympics. If they don't, they shall lose all the worldwide intrest, those talks are disgusting.
Exactly. The NHL is the only league in the world that thinks it's above everybody else, including the IIHF and the IOC.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
SWE, RUS, FIN and CZE will have EHT rosters without NHL players ofc

CZE in 2014:
Kvapil - Klepiš - Gulaš
Koukal - Novotný - Průcha
Vondrka - Rolinek - Irgl
T. Rachůnek - Petružálek - J. Svoboda
Vrána

Němec - Blaťák
Čáslava - Nakládal
Krejčík - Novák
Krajíček

Salák
Kovář/Štěpánek

fast roster with names from my head ...

well, without NHL players it will be quality EHT ... I'll watch it in TV but it won't be serious hockey tournament
I don't get this ? You want to say that KHL is not serious league or ?

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:31 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Joensuu - Pihlström - Komarov

That would be awesome right now
Far from awesome, especially in that form, since Pihlström isn't a centre. Komarov could adopt that slot, but even he is more familiar with winger duties in NT.

I think Komarov is a lock, whether as a centre or a winger, but unlike you figure, we do have quite some candidates for 4th actually. Joensuu is definitely making a case for himself, and if we're to presume Komarov is slotted for a winger rather than centre, I'd put Jesse ahead of Pihlström ATM. Then there's Hartikainen and I guess Petrell too from NHL side. And if the top-line picks have surprises in them, even someone like Bergenheim or Korpikoski could slink down to 4th.

So... no. Pillu is a solid candidate, but he still needs to beat a handful of players to make it. Not an insurmountable task for him, but not a cakewalk either.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Then there's Hartikainen and I guess Petrell too from NHL side. And if the top-line picks have surprises in them, even someone like Bergenheim or Korpikoski could slink down to 4th.

So... no. Pillu is a solid candidate, but he still needs to beat a handful of players to make it. Not an insurmountable task for him, but not a cakewalk either.
Completely forgot Härski. He sure might be tough competitor for a place in the jersey in 2014. Petrell.. well, if he plays really good then, then why not. I like pihlström better somehow, thought.. Korpikowsky and Bergenaim are sure higher then pillu, but I think they are 3rd liners more.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

If there's no NHLers, Russia wins the gold rather easily, I think

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:05 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Korpikowsky and Bergenaim are sure higher then pillu, but I think they are 3rd liners more.
Yes they are, one of them could even find themselves in the 2nd, but while I consider both locks for the team, I don't consider them locks for top-9.

How I currently see it is that there are seven players who will be in the first three lines no matter what: Koivu, Ruutu, Filppula, J.Jokinen, Granlund, a KHL centre (either Kontiola, Lehterä or Immonen) and one of Korpikoski or Bergenheim. That's seven. Now, there are guys like Hagman and Leino who can make it. And I guess it's not out of the line either that Erkka convinces OJ to a comeback. And if we're to look for a dedicated, but fringe scorer to try and take the slot left open by Selänne, even someone like Pulkkinen, Armia or Sakari Salminen can end up sneaking in. That would well leave Korpedo or Bergy vying for a 4th line role.

...but maybe this is a discussion we should be having in the thread dedicated for our Sochi roster talk.