HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Shayne Gostisbehere(USA) & Valeri Nichushkin(RUS) suspended 1 game each

Old
01-01-2013, 03:43 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Shayne Gostisbehere(USA) & Valeri Nichushkin(RUS) suspended 1 game each

Quote:
Gostisbehere is being suspended for approaching Slovakia’s Matus Matis from behind during the first period of Monday’s contest and striking him between the legs with his stick. The Margate, Florida native was handed a five-minute slashing major and game misconduct for his actions.

Matis was injured on the play, but returned before the end of America’s 9-3 victory.

During the first period of Russia’s 4-1 loss to Canada on Monday, Nichushkin smashed Tyler Wotherspoon into the boards from behind. After the initial contact, Nichushkin’s arms continued to move upward and forward, which caused Wotherspoon’s face to smash into the glass and boards.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...as-nichushkin/

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
bigbadbruins7

vCash: 500
surprised to see ghost get the same amount that nichuskin did

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:52 PM
dmacgreg37

Agree, the US spear was nowhere near as bad a play as the Russian check-from-behind or the Lipon hit to the head.

Can't believe he got suspended for a game, and think that Nichuskin should've gotten 2.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Xokkeu

Gostisbehere's play was stupid but it didn't really seem worthy of a suspension. I'm not surprised it was however.

Nichuskin probably got what he deserved.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Watch the video, Wotherspoon looks at Nichushkin coming at him when he goes around the net, then he turn his back anyways and faces down at the puck close to the boards. It goes against everything you learn as a hockey player from a really young age, coaches drill that into you. Stupid play by the guy. Face down next to the boards and you risk breaking your neck if you get hit, and you will get hit a lot of the time. You're responsible for protecting yourself at all costs, yeah it's an illegal play if a guy checks you, but that doesn't mean much if you're in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

Not saying it's not a penalty, but Nichuskin is a big man at 6 4" 200+ pounds, and if he had wanted to hurt Wotherspoon the hit would have been a hell of a lot harder.

EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Statsy

I completely disagree with the masses about the Gostisbehere play. Unlike most of the other illegal actions that have been committed at this event, this one wasn't involving a split second play with guys going at full speed. This was a calculated, intent-to-injure play that should have been a match penalty. Make no mistake about it, this was about intent as compared to recklessness, which makes it far worse.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
I completely disagree with the masses about the Gostisbehere play. Unlike most of the other illegal actions that have been committed at this event, this one wasn't involving a split second play with guys going at full speed. This was a calculated, intent-to-injure play that should have been a match penalty. Make no mistake about it, this was about intent as compared to recklessness, which makes it far worse.

....which directly followed a slew-foot by Matis. No innocent parties here. Gostisbehere just got caught.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Watch the video, Wotherspoon looks at Nichushkin coming at him when he goes around the net, then he turn his back anyways and faces down at the puck close to the boards. It goes against everything you learn as a hockey player from a really young age, coaches drill that into you. Stupid play by the guy. Face down next to the boards and you risk breaking your neck if you get hit, and you will get hit a lot of the time. You're responsible for protecting yourself at all costs, yeah it's an illegal play if a guy checks you, but that doesn't mean much if you're in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

Not saying it's not a penalty, but Nichuskin is a big man at 6 4" 200+ pounds, and if he had wanted to hurt Wotherspoon the hit would have been a hell of a lot harder.
Maybe they should have given Wotherspoon a delay of game penalty for not expecting to be run from behind. I'd also like to put some of the blame on ice, sticks, boards and glass.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:

Except he did not turn his back to Nichuskin, he turned his side to him and Nichuskin went behind him and then hit him.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
sandysan

Quote:

If you are not saying its not a penalty, what are you saying? That he didn't deserve to get tossed or he didn't deserve the suspension?

To me that was a clear hit to the numbers, he changed his trajectory to hit him squarer in the numbers. With iihf rules, because an injury occurred he's going to get tossed. Based on the other hits that got suspensions, its not surprising he sits a game. I don't think you can ask whether he deserves it, the precedent was set.

The spear to the groin was no party either. I'm not surprised either got a game.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
WHY LIE GUY

Quote:
Not sure what play you were watching, but Wotherspoon never saw him. He took a few quick glances over his left shoulder and behind him before facing the boards. Nichushkin came from the right side undetected and checks him right in the numbers.

WHY LIE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
....which directly followed a slew-foot by Matis. No innocent parties here. Gostisbehere just got caught.
Fair enough. That's how hockey works sometimes though.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Maybe they should have given Wotherspoon a delay of game penalty for not expecting to be run from behind. I'd also like to put some of the blame on ice, sticks, boards and glass.
You forgot his colorful hockey sweater and the huge numbers on his back. Also that helmet was so round and shiny. It just asked to be slammed into the boards & glass. How could poor Nichushkin resist? I think the Russian player was the real victim in all this. Those dirty Canadians forced him to do it.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Fair point but I don't think the intent to injure was all that strong. More like intent to cause strong discomfort for a short period of time. Two handed slash to the ankle? That's be something different.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Fair point but I don't think the intent to injure was all that strong. More like intent to cause strong discomfort for a short period of time. Two handed slash to the ankle? That's be something different.
Yes, that would be multiple games. To me spearing a guy in the groin crosses a line somewhere and I think it was the right call to give him a game.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

Players aren't allowed to check another player from behind into the boards especially by pushing them directly in between the numbers, which is exactly what Nichuskin did. Not only that, but instead of checking Wotherspoon from the side like he could have, he purposely angled to check from behind so... that's pretty obvious and egregious.

Suspension well-deserved.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, he was suspended for spearing, which is what happened to Boone Jenner last year so it's pretty consistent with past rulings.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Players aren't allowed to check another player from behind into the boards especially by pushing them directly in between the numbers, which is exactly what Nichuskin did. Not only that, but instead of checking Wotherspoon from the side like he could have, he purposely angled to check from behind so... that's pretty obvious and egregious.

Suspension well-deserved.

If I'm not mistaken, he was suspended for spearing, which is what happened to Boone Jenner last year so it's pretty consistent with past rulings.
It wasn't really spearing, but I guess you can call it whatever. Spearing is stabbing a guy directly with your stick. Gotisbehere put his stick under the guy and came up with it, which to me is more slashing. Not that it really matters.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Yes, that would be multiple games. To me spearing a guy in the groin crosses a line somewhere and I think it was the right call to give him a game.
I'm not screaming bloody murder. I thought it was quite likely he would be suspended because intentional stick fouls behind the play are generally punished quite strongly. I'm not alone however in thinking that it wasn't that hard or malicious. Even Bob MacKenzie was laughing at it as a five minute major let alone thinking of a suspension.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
robdicks

Quote:

Just watched the video, Wotherspoon didn't turn into the hit, and Nichushkin sees his numbers the whole time and takes a cheap shot on him. The play definitely deserved five and a game, and the additional one game suspension fits.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
Just watched the video, Wotherspoon didn't turn into the hit, and Nichushkin sees his numbers the whole time and takes a cheap shot on him. The play definitely deserved five and a game, and the additional one game suspension fits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bZVttS1IY

Yeah there is really no turn at all. If anything his back is facing Nichuskin and he slightly turns, but then Nichuskin just follows his numbers and creams him.

The only thing I will say about blaming the victim is that I would never put myself in that spot. Yeah it's a penalty, but you still have a busted face and possible concussion.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Gostisbehere just got caught.
That's a shame.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

vCash: 50
Canada better keep their cool against these dirty opponents.

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post

Canadians ALWAYS take the high road. Whether it is at the World Juniors or in these HF threads.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Keep your heads down.

You don't know when the nut shot is coming.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Keep your heads down.

You don't know when the nut shot is coming.
Xokkeu has a good sense of humour.