HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
7 months of this ********?

We don't want your Leaf garbage. You may not think its garbage because of the state of your team but compared to Luongo & what he can & will do to your team they are garbage.
Well said.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You should just start preparing to be disappointed. If you think there is a "blow the doors off" offer incoming, it isn't. Think off all the time you will save if you stop typing about the Bozek, Kadri and Franson. We get it. We all get it. You can type "elite" and "Luongo" all you want, but unless you also start typing "long term contract", "34 years old" and "Canucks needing to trade him" what you say is pretty much meaningless.

It's far from "absolutely terrible".
Except we don't have to trade Luongo, so there's no need to just give him away to another team for garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Anisimov, either Tyutin or Wiz, and Mason for Luongo and Raymond.
Better offer than the Leaf crap we've become accustomed to seeing, although Wiz is grossly overpaid IMO, and I have no interest in Anisimov at all.

01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And where are those 3 pretty good players? Bozak and Franson are garbage, and I'm convinced that Kadri wouldn't fit well in AV's system. I wouldn't be overly upset getting Kadri as a secondary piece, but if Bozak and Franson are main pieces that's absolutely terrible for a return for Luongo. It's not depth and potential, it's garbage filler for an elite goalie. Terrible.
lol Garbage eh?

Bozak is a very underrated two-way center that was forced into a spot that isn't meant for him. He still had the same ppg as Kesler did last year, he continued to put up points even when he wasn't on the big line.

Franson's ppg would have been top 4 for Vancouver Dmen last year, and he was misused in the eyes of many Leaf fans by Ron Wilson.

I don't see how these guys are 'garbage' and both would improve the Canucks. Kadri is still a very good prospect, to think he wouldn't fit into your system is unknown at this point. Kadri is a skilled player who is chippy and agitates opponents, he also draws a ton of penalties and with Vancouver's PP that would be great.

But then again, we'll see what Luongo is traded for when it all goes down. I remember what people on this board expected to get in return for hodgson, reality will taste bitter again

Also, LiquidSnake...awesome name!

Old
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
You should just start preparing to be disappointed. If you think there is a "blow the doors off" offer incoming, it isn't. Think off all the time you will save if you stop typing about the Bozek, Kadri and Franson. We get it. We all get it. You can type "elite" and "Luongo" all you want, but unless you also start typing "long term contract", "34 years old" and "Canucks needing to trade him" what you say is pretty much meaningless.

It's far from "absolutely terrible".
Thank you, there are still some sane people.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cogburn, that was a lot of work to trade Lu to a team that nobody can imagine him wanting to go to.
Trying to go outside the box. Then again, I don't see Toronto being that much more attractive to him then Columbus. I wouldn't send him to either location if I didn't believe they were one elite goaltender away from success.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Trying to go outside the box. Then again, I don't see Toronto being that much more attractive to him then Columbus. I wouldn't send him to either location if I didn't believe they were one elite goaltender away from success.
Is that still a destination Luongo wants to choose?

I still think Florida is the front runner, but his salary might be too much to swallow for that franchise.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
lol Garbage eh?

Bozak is a very underrated two-way center that was forced into a spot that isn't meant for him. He still had the same ppg as Kesler did last year, he continued to put up points even when he wasn't on the big line.

Franson's ppg would have been top 4 for Vancouver Dmen last year, and he was misused in the eyes of many Leaf fans by Ron Wilson.

I don't see how these guys are 'garbage' and both would improve the Canucks. Kadri is still a very good prospect, to think he wouldn't fit into your system is unknown at this point. Kadri is a skilled player who is chippy and agitates opponents, he also draws a ton of penalties and with Vancouver's PP that would be great.

But then again, we'll see what Luongo is traded for when it all goes down. I remember what people on this board expected to get in return for hodgson, reality will taste bitter again

Also, LiquidSnake...awesome name!
To be considered a 2-way player that suggests you are actually good at both ends of the rink: something that Bozak is not. It's sad how much this label is thrown around that it's essentially become meaningless. Bozak is not good defensively at all, and his offensive numbers when compared to his linemates production is shockingly low.

Franson doesn't have any trade value and should be nothing more than a throw-in. He was essentially traded as a sweetener for the Leafs to take on the Lombardi contract last year, and his play has actually gotten worse. I don't see what he has done to increase in value.

I don't see where either of these players would play (Bozak probably the fourth line, and Franson probably the bottom pairing/press box) so I don't see how either of these guys improves our team. All they really do is plug a spot and prevent someone else from coming in, at the expense of an elite top 5 goalie.

Kadri has started to look better in the AHL at this point; however, defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. We all know how AV just loves rookies who can't play defensive hockey. That's the reason why I would be hesitant to waste an asset like Luongo on an enigmatic prospect.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

[QUOTE=y2kcanucks;56992385]Except we don't have to trade Luongo, so there's no need to just give him away to another team for garbage.

Except we don't have to trade Luongo, so there's no need to just give him away to another team for garbage.

-----

Please...

Anyone that thinks Luongo is going to finish the season off in Vancouver needs to give their head a shake.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

Please...

Anyone that thinks Luongo is going to finish the season off in Vancouver needs to give their head a shake.
Why? Because YOU say so?

Old
01-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Why? Because YOU say so?
Because I know sports, and I know business.

If you think at this point in Luongo's career he'd want to be in this position(battling for #1 and likely the backup) then you'll be on a lonely island.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Don't you guys love when others come in here telling us how things really are!

Old
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

It's been 7 months of this nonsense already? Time flies.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Do Leafs fans have a different rating system for a "two way player"? Bozak would be one of the worst defensive C's on the Canucks.

And for all the talk of Franson's PPG he was still at best a #6/7 right side defensemen on the Leafs. The same Leafs D core that boasted both Schenn and Komisarek on the right side.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Don't you guys love when others come in here telling us how things really are!
Some times it's a necessary. Remember Hodgson for Subban talks? I mean every fan base has crazy evaluations for their players, and maybe I'm guilty of that as well but like I mentioned earlier...the taste of reality will be bitter.

You guys want the world for Luongo, but it won't happen from any team.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Do Leafs fans have a different rating system for a "two way player"? Bozak would be one of the worst defensive C's on the Canucks.

And for all the talk of Franson's PPG he was still at best a #6/7 right side defensemen on the Leafs. The same Leafs D core that boasted both Schenn and Komisarek on the right side.
Exactly. That's why I am very horrified at the rumours of Gillis targeting Bozak. It makes no sense whatsoever and he would just end up being the next version of Marc-Andre Gragnani. In for a few games and then gone at seasons end. Would be an incredible waste of an asset of Luongo's calibre.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Some times it's a necessary. Remember Hodgson for Subban talks? I mean every fan base has crazy evaluations for their players, and maybe I'm guilty of that as well but like I mentioned earlier...the taste of reality will be bitter.

You guys want the world for Luongo, but it won't happen from any team.
So we keep him.

For someone that "knows" business, you seem to think surrendering an asset YOU covet for crap is good business. We can afford him, we just signed him to his big contract, we have no other reason to trade him if we can't get a good enough return. Business 101 guy, don't sell low.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
So we keep him.

For someone that "knows" business, you seem to think surrendering an asset YOU covet for crap is good business. We can afford him, we just signed him to his big contract, we have no other reason to trade him if we can't get a good enough return. Business 101 guy, don't sell low.
It's almost like there's an expectation that the Leafs can trade away crap for a stud player just because Darryl Sutter gave them Phaneuf for garbage a couple years ago. I pray that Gillis isn't that stupid, but I guess we will find out.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
It's almost like there's an expectation that the Leafs can trade away crap for a stud player just because Darryl Sutter gave them Phaneuf for garbage a couple years ago. I pray that Gillis isn't that stupid, but I guess we will find out.
BUT IT WASN'T EVEN GARBAGE AT THE TIME!

Hagman was coming off a thirty goal season, White was a coveted top 4 defender, Stajan was only a problem when he was signed, after like 2 games, to a bigger contract then his play merited with Calgary, and Sjostrom and Mayers are pretty well a wash....and Aulie and Phaneuf weren't "buy high" players either. Aulie is now Ashton too...so meh.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
So we keep him.

Thanks... I didn't even need to type anything... besides this

Old
01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
kthsn

Phanuef was garbage that season too. He was making horrendous defensive reads, was on pace for 33 points and still making 6.5M that year.

That would be like Luongo playing at a .900% SV and still returning 55 point C, top 4 dman + tweener winger.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
So we keep him.

No. Sometimes in business you have to accept your hand and take a loss. You're telling me the owner that's paying Luongo all that money is going to like the idea of owing him that money on the bench or at the potential of a goalie controversy? You know what the Canadian media is capable of, you'd have to be crazy to think Luongo will be a Canuck to finish the year.

The funny thing is, you have a vast number of both experts and 'amateurs' that understand this concept, but it's just a select few that can't come to terms with it.

Luongo's No trade clause also kills his value.

I know what Luongo is, he's an elite goaltender that's aging. He also comes with a heavy pay cheque and limits the amount of teams that can take him. He's not going to get back the moon, look at what Rick Nash was traded for. Everything Columbus wanted from NYR was not included, it's just hopeless praying...

Heavy Salary+Age+NTC= Grand Slam return?

k

Old
01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
BUT IT WASN'T EVEN GARBAGE AT THE TIME!

Hagman was coming off a thirty goal season, White was a coveted top 4 defender, Stajan was only a problem when he was signed, after like 2 games, to a bigger contract then his play merited with Calgary, and Sjostrom and Mayers are pretty well a wash....and Aulie and Phaneuf weren't "buy high" players either. Aulie is now Ashton too...so meh.
Hagman was coming off a thirty POINT season. He's never scored 30 goals. White looked good in Toronto, but his value was grossly overstated. Stajan flopped completely in Calgary. Overall the value they got back for a player of Phaneuf's pedigree was absolutely terrible. If we make a similar trade I would certainly hope that Aquilini has the sense to fire Gillis before he continues to demolish this team.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
kthsn

Nash = inferior player, heavy salary, terrible cap hit + NTC

Nash's return = 2nd line C/W coming off a bad year, A- prospect, 1st rounder, #2/3 young tweener C

Old
01-01-2013, 06:47 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Business 101 guy, don't sell low.
If hockey was a sport where it was crucial to have to highly paid goalies and that keeping that 2nd goalie would somehow make up for other deficiences, then sure, keep Lu. But it doesn't work that way in hockey. It's like hiring two executive chefs for your restaurant but not being able to afford any other staff.

Guarantee me that Luongo will have more value if we wait until next year. He'll be a year older, another year removed from being a true starter and we'll be another year beyond our ideal window to win.

I don't see it. Maybe he holds his value, hell maybe it even slightly goes up, but what do you really think will change other than another year going by?

In my opinion, if we get a shortened season it is a benefit to us. We NEED to go for it and that might just mean taking less that what some of you seem to think we might get. If Luongo was truly as coveted as some think, a deal would have been done before the lockout. Nobody however was willing to take that big of a chance on him.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Nash's = inferior player, heavy salary, terrible cap hit + NTC

Nash's return = #2 C coming off a bad year, A- prospect, 1st rounder, #2/3 young tweener C
Nash is inferior? How many Power forwards in the League have his pedigree of overall package?

Lol, NYR's 1st round pick? That's definitely the same as the Leafs 1st rounder...

In what world, is Tim Erixon a A- prospect? He's not on the level of a prospect like Kadri or a 'graduate' like Gardiner. A-, lol.

Columbus wanted Mcdonagh, they wanted Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin or Del Zotto were not added.

Come on guys.

Closed Thread