HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 08:27 AM
CSKA

vCash: 500
Im fine with that loss. Canada was the better team. Very silly and dirty hit by Nichushkin. Clearly hurt the team. Imo without the penalty we still lose on that day but in a closer game.

Nichushkin should and will be suspended for one game. A clear loss to the team. He is a very promising prospect. A monster on skates. A poor mans Jagr in the making or maybe in the same league.

Im glad we play 1/4 against the swiss. We still can win the worlds , very good chances IMO.

Go Russia !

Old
01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Guy who watches Scheifele a lot here/

Scheifele's biggest weaknesses were when drafted:
topspeed
balance
skating stride
acceleration
(and a need to fill his frame)

He's gained some lower body strength and put on his weight. His accel/balance has improved minimally and his topspeed/stride have improved to a point that they are no longer a weakness (not saying it's a strength or perfect, just not a weakness).

My guess is he'll continue to improve on these weaknesses with power skating and naturally from putting on weight, but currently acceleration and balance continue to be a weakness (but still much better than last year).
Spott has placed Scheifele on the wing and has been obviously asked him to get into the dirty areas. This unfortunately super highlights his weakness, since stop/go acceleration is important for wingers and going to the dirty areas means getting knocked (ex: Hartnell anyone)
Great post and very accurate. Mark has come along way in these areas since last year.

To the bolded area I agree it highlights his weaknesses but also his strength. He is 100% committed and will do what it takes including take a beating in the tough areas to win. Allot of me first athletes these days and its refreshing to see a kid that pulls on the Canada crest when he scores a goal rather than point to himself (not saying any of our Juniors have that issue). You can't teach Mark's skill, IQ, 6'3" frame, and no quit team first zero ego attitude and the rest can be worked on.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Huberdeau has not impressed me. He seems to go invisible at times and also looked slow at times. He needs to get physically stronger too or he's really going to get pushed around at the NHL level.
I'm not sure why so many pundits say he is NHL ready. He seriously needs to hit the gym and protein powder. RNH may have mostly survived in the NHL last year at Huberdeau's weight, but he has a stronger base and rolls off hits better. He has also added 10-15 pounds of muscle this last off season. Huberdeau gets knocked over by 16-19 year olds. He would get killed in the NHL. He is at least a season or two from being able to compete.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Ewan McGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageEllimama View Post
I never really understood this but how does Russia manage to give up 40+ shots everygame?
Russian hockey doesn't put a lot of emphasis on defensemen.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:42 PM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA View Post
Im fine with that loss. Canada was the better team. Very silly and dirty hit by Nichushkin. Clearly hurt the team. Imo without the penalty we still lose on that day but in a closer game.

Nichushkin should and will be suspended for one game. A clear loss to the team. He is a very promising prospect. A monster on skates. A poor mans Jagr in the making or maybe in the same league.

Im glad we play 1/4 against the swiss. We still can win the worlds , very good chances IMO.

Go Russia !
It would almost have been better if Canada lost, it would have gave them another game for the team to gel against Switzerland and I would rather play against Sweden then the U.S especially seeing as how most of Sweden's best players aren't playing.

I still think Suban will blow this either against the U.S or Russia if we make it to the final.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Talus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
It would almost have been better if Canada lost, it would have gave them another game for the team to gel against Switzerland and I would rather play against Sweden then the U.S especially seeing as how most of Sweden's best players aren't playing.

I still think Suban will blow this either against the U.S or Russia if we make it to the final.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it doesn't matter who you play if you are the better team you will have a good chance of winning.

Subban doesn't look like he will falter in the next game or the final.

why be so pessimistic.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post

I would not be surprised if that's why Russia played that half-assed game. They play Switzerland next, which ought to be a win for Russia, get Nichushkin back for Sweden, and proceed to the gold medal game. Canada has the harder path ahead of them, but one I wouldn't want them to shy away from. Beat the Czechs or US and we'll have a gold medal game to watch.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I would not be surprised if that's why Russia played that half-assed game. They play Switzerland next, which ought to be a win for Russia, get Nichushkin back for Sweden, and proceed to the gold medal game. Canada has the harder path ahead of them, but one I wouldn't want them to shy away from. Beat the Czechs or US and we'll have a gold medal game to watch.
I disagree. We didn't play overly well against the Americans; if we play in the SF the same way we did against Russia yesterday it won't even be close IMO. Makarov really kept them in the game. The Swiss have a knack for hanging around in close games even when they shouldn't and Sweden isn't a pushover either. We only beat Sweden in a shootout in the prelims.

I'm content with where Canada is at. Confidence is high and we managed to win the tougher pool in the tourney. Hopefully the team continues to gel and we take home the gold.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I thought the D, as a whole, was great tonight. Unlike previous games, I don't think a single one was a negative tonight. Two guys I thought stood out particularly tonight were Harrington and Oullet. Oullet seemed to see a lot of action directly opposite Yakupov in the third, and shut him down completely.
I agree. After the first five to ten minutes, it is difficult to think of any open shots coming from the middle. The D and the backcheckers really clogged up the middle, and took away the best aspect of the Russian team, which is speed off the transition.

Good coaching and good D won that game.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it doesn't matter who you play if you are the better team you will have a good chance of winning.

Subban doesn't look like he will falter in the next game or the final.

why be so pessimistic.
Exactly in this tournament you can't avoid playing somebody. Sooner or later you have to face them. Or face the team that beat the team you're trying to avoid. Avoiding teams may payoff if you're hoping to just medal but not if your only goal is to win it all.

Closed Thread