HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

WJC U20 Championship Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2013, 09:18 PM
  #301
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
The time to shine is now. All performance prior to this point makes for a great carpet onto the stage but now is the time when performance counts and the lights will shine the brightest. Miller needs more swagger.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
  #302
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Have you had too much to drink tonight Dubinsky has a 10 cent brain
You can say that all day, doesn't make it true.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
  #303
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You can say that all day, doesn't make it true.
In the last few weeks, having watched all the highlights from the years past when Dubinsky was arguably our best all around player in the offensive zone in terms of his ability to do all that Torts demands from his forward, I was truly surprised when I realize how much of a step back he took this past season. We're all familiar with how Gabby is on the score board very often pretty much at goal every 2 game rate but he does this in a very streaky fashion. Dubie was the guy who scored often (although not as often as Gaborik) but he is consistently the one to make things happen. He was like what Richie was to us this past year. A lesser Richie on a lesser team back then.

This ugly season of his that Rangers fans have to remember him by doesn't do him any justice.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:33 PM
  #304
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Anyone can have a down season. Dubi was never a star; it's expected that he would be more prone to a down season than others. Not trying to make excuses for him, but I will ALWAYS maintain that he was a great Ranger and a good guy for the team overall. Even if we won't miss him on the ice much, I will always feel we could use a guy like him on the bench and in the locker room. And he WAS a good player for us as well. The one bad season will never change that for me. Personally, I see a lot in common between Miller and Dubinsky's skill sets but not as much in their approach to the game. Dubinsky was a puck possession, playmaker in the offensive zone. Miller looks to open up for the one-timer and wants to shoot off the rush as well. They're similar in their attention to the two-way game and readiness to play a physical game, though I don't see Miller being as chippy, overall.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:41 AM
  #305
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Anyone can have a down season. Dubi was never a star; it's expected that he would be more prone to a down season than others. Not trying to make excuses for him, but I will ALWAYS maintain that he was a great Ranger and a good guy for the team overall. Even if we won't miss him on the ice much, I will always feel we could use a guy like him on the bench and in the locker room. And he WAS a good player for us as well. The one bad season will never change that for me. Personally, I see a lot in common between Miller and Dubinsky's skill sets but not as much in their approach to the game. Dubinsky was a puck possession, playmaker in the offensive zone. Miller looks to open up for the one-timer and wants to shoot off the rush as well. They're similar in their attention to the two-way game and readiness to play a physical game, though I don't see Miller being as chippy, overall.
Without Nash and other additions, if we had a effective Duby back, we would be just as good of a team as we're capable of being now.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:58 AM
  #306
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Without Nash and other additions, if we had a effective Duby back, we would be just as good of a team as we're capable of being now.
No. Nope. Incorrect. Dubi at the top of his game was a very nice player. He was not a gamebreaker. Our current roster is far more dangerous. If they play up to their talent, this team should be dominant.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:15 AM
  #307
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Personally, I think our bottom six is suspect. Boyle's been great and hopefully he'll be able to handle third line C as effectively as it seems he should, but being 'good enough' to do something and doing it are two different things and I need to see Boyle step up and own that position. Then there's Taylor Pyatt, who I'm just not sold on being a strong third line option at this point for us. I hope Torts can squeeze it out of him, but now we've got 2/3 of our third line with question marks. Kreider or Hagelin will be the third member of that line and if it's Kreider, there's no GUARANTEE yet that he'll be able to step up and play like he did in the playoffs all season. That could make the entire third line questionable. Then there's Asham, whose a good enough fourth line every game guy, but Rupp on the other wing, is a similar story and I'm not sure two of them is what you want on your fourth line. Halpern in the middle is iffy for me as well. He's old and while he'll probably do just fine, he doesn't scream dominant fourth line center to me the way Boyle did. Now Boyle's got to step up and be the third line C, our center depth is a good deal weaker (especially since both Dubi and Arty could play C) and there's a good deal of ??? in the bottom six. I would like to acquire at least one, legitimate third line player. Drop Pyatt to the fourth line and use Rupp/Asham/Halpern in the other two slots as Torts sees fit on a game-to-game basis, and according to injuries. Would make me feel a lot more comfortable. We're a top heavy team offensively, and even our top six is only really five sure things. Hagelin/Kreider can both take a step back from last season's impressive performances (it could happen is all I'm saying). Defensively, I'm also wondering who is our #6 after Stralman at #5 (who also played well for us last year but is hardly a sure thing; look at his career). I'm not nearly as confident in Eminger this year and Bickel simply isn't good enough to be the regular #6. Overall, I think we are a contender this year, but I definitely wouldn't say we're going to be dominant at all. Just my genuine concerns.

But this really isn't the right thread for it. Would be nice to see Miller ready to make the jump to that third line and I can't wait to see McIlrath on that third pairing.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:48 AM
  #308
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
No. Nope. Incorrect. Dubi at the top of his game was a very nice player. He was not a gamebreaker. Our current roster is far more dangerous. If they play up to their talent, this team should be dominant.
I agree with you. I'm merely complimenting Dubie. Watching those game highlights from past years when we were in the 9th 10th spots was moving.

Dominate barring a lack of chemistry.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:19 AM
  #309
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
In the last few weeks, having watched all the highlights from the years past when Dubinsky was arguably our best all around player in the offensive zone in terms of his ability to do all that Torts demands from his forward, I was truly surprised when I realize how much of a step back he took this past season. We're all familiar with how Gabby is on the score board very often pretty much at goal every 2 game rate but he does this in a very streaky fashion. Dubie was the guy who scored often (although not as often as Gaborik) but he is consistently the one to make things happen. He was like what Richie was to us this past year. A lesser Richie on a lesser team back then.

This ugly season of his that Rangers fans have to remember him by doesn't do him any justice.
What in the hell are you talking about? And what were you watching? Dubinsky at his best during his time here was a 20 goal scorer on average, who goes to the dirty areas, roughs it up, plays a good two way game, and sticks up for his teammates. And that's fine because that's what he is. But this consistency you speak of is an illusion you've created in your head. Throughout his career Dubinsky had disappeared for weeks at a time from the scoresheet. Last season he was even more inconsistent. Now still meh on the Nash trade because of his cap hit, but the guy is a game breaker. He is a goal scorer. During the washington series and into the devils series dubinsky was out. You insert Nash there for Anisimov and this team is in the cup finals.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:28 AM
  #310
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
What in the hell are you talking about? And what were you watching? Dubinsky at his best during his time here was a 20 goal scorer on average, who goes to the dirty areas, roughs it up, plays a good two way game, and sticks up for his teammates. And that's fine because that's what he is. But this consistency you speak of is an illusion you've created in your head. Throughout his career Dubinsky had disappeared for weeks at a time from the scoresheet. Last season he was even more inconsistent. Now still meh on the Nash trade because of his cap hit, but the guy is a game breaker. He is a goal scorer. During the washington series and into the devils series dubinsky was out. You insert Nash there for Anisimov and this team is in the cup finals.
wow.

Toward the beginning of 2 seasons ago and stretches during the season he was consistent at being effective offensively, on or off the score sheet.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:37 AM
  #311
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
The USA team needed another finisher. When the opposing team's defense is solid, they have a lot of trouble finish scoring opportunities.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:24 AM
  #312
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
CZH team lost their focus around 3-0, now in a 5-0 hole halfway through 2nd. Miller with a great block taking away a point blank shot on the kill. Turns around, kills some time in the offensive zone and a USA goal 20 seconds later.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:36 AM
  #313
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
ummm...5 goals so far in the second..i'd say they're finishing today




Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The USA team needed another finisher. When the opposing team's defense is solid, they have a lot of trouble finish scoring opportunities.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:40 AM
  #314
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
ummm...5 goals so far in the second..i'd say they're finishing today
That was before the game started and also, the Czechs aren't the Canadians or the Russians at defense which is what I was referring to.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:16 AM
  #315
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,981
vCash: 500
beauty of a set-up by Miller.

USA is wrecking the Czechs...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:25 AM
  #316
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,981
vCash: 500
Miller with an unconventional goal. : )

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:02 AM
  #317
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Miller with an unconventional goal. : )
can't wait to have him net front. The best role he's played in this tournament is being the net front presence.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:08 AM
  #318
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
So 1G/2A/3P for Miller? Good for him. 2G/4A/6P in 5 games now for him.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:13 AM
  #319
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
wow.

Toward the beginning of 2 seasons ago and stretches during the season he was consistent at being effective offensively, on or off the score sheet.
He was effective how? Because you say so?

I liked Dubinsky. It is pretty safe to say 95% of the fan base did/does. But he is highly overrated and overpaid. He demanded his raise and Sather gave it to him. Then he went out and played like a 3rd line player even though he's being paid like a 2nd liner. The guy works his tail off, he goes into the corner, goes to the front of the net, takes the body, plays a grind it out game. The game is not all about scoring but at the end of it the team with more goals wins, and he is getting paid as such to do so. All that cyclining in the corners can only go so far. Enough was enough. The team needed another threat besides gaborik that they know can step on the ice, skate the puck into the zone himself, and score rather than constantly dump and chase to try and wear the other team down because were the better conditioned team. Well over time when thats your go to game plan it wears your own team down. In the playoffs teams tighten up their defense. The Devils, Caps, and Sens all did. After the 1st line it was a very dump and chase team. Dubinsky was more of the same and was inconsistent.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:15 AM
  #320
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,383
vCash: 500
Watching the stream on replay cause I woke up late


Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
  #321
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
He was effective how? Because you say so?

I liked Dubinsky. It is pretty safe to say 95% of the fan base did/does. But he is highly overrated and overpaid. He demanded his raise and Sather gave it to him. Then he went out and played like a 3rd line player even though he's being paid like a 2nd liner. The guy works his tail off, he goes into the corner, goes to the front of the net, takes the body, plays a grind it out game. The game is not all about scoring but at the end of it the team with more goals wins, and he is getting paid as such to do so. All that cyclining in the corners can only go so far. Enough was enough. The team needed another threat besides gaborik that they know can step on the ice, skate the puck into the zone himself, and score rather than constantly dump and chase to try and wear the other team down because were the better conditioned team. Well over time when thats your go to game plan it wears your own team down. In the playoffs teams tighten up their defense. The Devils, Caps, and Sens all did. After the 1st line it was a very dump and chase team. Dubinsky was more of the same and was inconsistent.
First off, edit because I think you're challenging because you think I'm referring to past seasons to include the 11/12 season and I guess it can be read and inferred as that. I implied seasons prior to the last season.

First off, i was referring to highlights from past seasons as in seasons before last year which we can all assume needs no further detailing. I didn't say anything about an effective Dubinsky from the 11/12 season. If anything, I said what you're saying now about his let down performance in the 11/12 season. I said he was one of our most effective players in consistently creating offense and being effective, on or off the scoreboard before last season. Aside from Gaborik, Dubinsky was probably our 2nd or 3rd most dominant player in terms of being able to not only score goals and make plays but also cycle and grind in the offensive zone. Even when he was off the score board in the seasons before the 11/12 season, he would still be consistent with playing with an edge and making thing happen more so than a majority of our players in those seasons in terms of both consistently doing so and in terms of impact.

I didn't really get into the transitioning of game plan and obviously a higher calibre player than Dubinksy Backs a more durable and offensively potent game plan. I'm not much of a dubie fan, not as much as a lot of other people on HFNYR so I'm not arguing somr ludicrous point in favor of him. The disappearance of Dubinsky was a detriment and a huge let down because of what is expected from him. Having that said, before the 11/12 season, he was a solid all around player who was consistent with various aspects of play A majority of the time even when he's not producing on the scoresheet. That's all.

You asked me how he was effective and threw a rhetorical "because you say so?" Question to boot. How wasn't he effective in his seasons before 11/12?

Hell, he wasn't completely ineffective last season either. He still executed on certain aspects, scored some goals playing on a demoted line and without PP minutes. He wasn't a defensive liability or guilty of bad turn overs, penalties and lackluster efforts.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  #322
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
First off, edit because I think you're challenging because you think I'm referring to past seasons to include the 11/12 season and I guess it can be read and inferred as that. I implied seasons prior to the last season.

First off, i was referring to highlights from past seasons as in seasons before last year which we can all assume needs no further detailing. I didn't say anything about an effective Dubinsky from the 11/12 season. If anything, I said what you're saying now about his let down performance in the 11/12 season. I said he was one of our most effective players in consistently creating offense and being effective, on or off the scoreboard before last season. Aside from Gaborik, Dubinsky was probably our 2nd or 3rd most dominant player in terms of being able to not only score goals and make plays but also cycle and grind in the offensive zone. Even when he was off the score board in the seasons before the 11/12 season, he would still be consistent with playing with an edge and making thing happen more so than a majority of our players in those seasons in terms of both consistently doing so and in terms of impact.

I didn't really get into the transitioning of game plan and obviously a higher calibre player than Dubinksy Backs a more durable and offensively potent game plan. I'm not much of a dubie fan, not as much as a lot of other people on HFNYR so I'm not arguing somr ludicrous point in favor of him. The disappearance of Dubinsky was a detriment and a huge let down because of what is expected from him. Having that said, before the 11/12 season, he was a solid all around player who was consistent with various aspects of play A majority of the time even when he's not producing on the scoresheet. That's all.

You asked me how he was effective and threw a rhetorical "because you say so?" Question to boot. How wasn't he effective in his seasons before 11/12?

Hell, he wasn't completely ineffective last season either. He still executed on certain aspects, scored some goals playing on a demoted line and without PP minutes. He wasn't a defensive liability or guilty of bad turn overs, penalties and lackluster efforts.
As a supporter of Dubinsky until this season, I've come to grips it does nothing to wax nostalgic on his time with the Rangers.

The only time he approached consistency was in a contract year. After he got paid he not only leveled off, but the wheels completely fell of his game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:36 AM
  #323
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Switzerland taking Russia to a shoot out. WOW.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
  #324
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 500
The fact that the Russians got taken to a shootout against the Swiss is telling IMO. The Swiss team is so much smaller and less talented, I think this Russian team loses to Sweden in the semi's.

Oh and where the hell is Yakupov? Total no show.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
  #325
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,383
vCash: 500
Am I the only one not surprised by the Swiss today? Wouldn't have even shocked me if they won.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.