HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Mason10
Bacon

vCash: 500
Edmonton laughs and hangs up the phone.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:56 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
Edmonton laughs and hangs up the phone.
Yep, Yak is by far the best player in the deal and Gagne might be the second best (debatable).

I'd do it in a heart beat.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:47 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
IMHO, the Canucks need immediate help if they want to achieve with this core group. No picks or prospects, as this group needs immediate support. A brief glance at the line-up shows major issues. Gillis cannot be serious about moving forward like this.

I do not think the Canucks have the assets to convert to get enough help in return. Luongo has had no market interest, perhaps, it must be said, because Gillis is negotiating return. Perhaps nobody wants him, too. Nobody seems eager to overpay, which is the only way to win for Gillis.

Defence is another issue. Is Edler going to be okay? Can Ballard contribute? Will Garrison fit? Which Dman can be moved?

I seriously think Gillis will go with Higgins at 2C and Malhotra at 4C with Lapierre on the third line.

I do not think Gillis moves Luongo before seeing Schnieder play a few games as #1. The market for a gaolie might be improved, as well, after some games. I am thinking Gillis might wait for the trade deadline.

I doubt this group wins the conference. Without help, I doubt they do anything in the playoffs. It's because they have absorbed an inordinate amount of punishment compared to other teams. Gillis doesn't get this, despite causing it. He says the soft accomadations and fine off ice treatment will prolong thier careers. Hahahahaha! So, no policeman leads to severe beatings but the nice wide plane seats and caviar hotels will make up for it!

I am resigned to the fact that this team cannot overcome Gillis' imaginings. Gillis, was right but did not account for the spite of this childishly run league. They took that chance away by suspending Rome, leaving the team utterly exposed to intimidation. Even so, they went right to the seventh game, but at what cost? They were non starters the next playoffs. I think this core group has been expended and battered into submission. The guys that do the work are all coming off injuries. Can Kesler and Edler return to big minutes? Will Vignault overcome this with clever deployment?

A conventional Luongo trade and return will not help in time. Gillis needs roster players now. The future is now for this group and they will need help.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
There is absolutely no reason for Edmonton to take our crap for their stud first overall pick, let alone Yakupov and other solid assets.

And regarding the Luongo trade, there's no reason why we do that deal either. Bad, bad proposals.

01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
monster_bertuzzi

That wouldn't even come close to enough for Yakupov, they hang up and laugh. Let alone Gagner as well who actually has some value of his own...

Old
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
In terms of 2013 UFA dmen, what about Fistric or O'Byrne (or both) for depth dmen?

2013-14
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrision
Fistric Tanev (or Corrado if he makes it)

Old
01-01-2013, 10:58 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
In terms of 2013 UFA dmen, what about Fistric or O'Byrne (or both) for depth dmen?

2013-14
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrision
I've been pushing for Fistric. Would be an awesome 3rd pairing player.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I've been pushing for Fistric. Would be an awesome 3rd pairing player.
Would bring some much needed toughness and grit on that D.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:54 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

2013-14
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrision
I'd rather have Rome than O'Byrne. Fistric would be nice though

Old
01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

So, assuming that a deal gets worked out and we get an abbreviated season, what are the holes in our current lineup and how do we go about plugging them?

D. Sedin(6.1) - H. Sedin(6.1) - Burrows(2)
Higgins(1.9) - Kesler(5) - Booth(4.25)
Raymond(2.5) - Lapierre(1) - Hansen(1.35)
Weise(.615) - Malhotra(2.5) - ????

Bieksa(4.6) - Hamhuis(4.5)
Edler(3.25) - Garrison(4.5)
Ballard(4.2) - Tanev(.900)
Alberts(1.225)

Schneider(4)
Luongo(5.33)

Total Salary Committed: $65,820,000

Now, I think I read somewhere that if the deal goes through without significant changes to the cap structure, that we would be looking at a cap of $67m, which would leave us some wiggle room at the very least. At least one (Kassian?), and possibly an additional extra forward are required to fill out the forward lines.

The other question mark is Ryan Kesler's status - he still hasn't been cleared to return as of the last reports, so one would think that he would start on the IR, giving us the benefit of some salary breathing room if we need to exceed the cap, but also opening up the question of who comes up in his place. (Jordan Schroeder would be the logical selection my mind)

Then of course, there is the Luongo situation which still needs to play out.

Thoughts?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So, assuming that a deal gets worked out and we get an abbreviated season, what are the holes in our current lineup and how do we go about plugging them?

Alberts(1.225)

Schneider(4)
Luongo(5.33)

Now, I think I read somewhere that if the deal goes through without significant changes to the cap structure, that we would be looking at a cap of $67m, which would leave us some wiggle room at the very least. At least one (Kassian?), and possibly an additional extra forward are required to fill out the forward lines.

The other question mark is Ryan Kesler's status - he still hasn't been cleared to return as of the last reports, so one would think that he would start on the IR, giving us the benefit of some salary breathing room if we need to exceed the cap, but also opening up the question of who comes up in his place. (Jordan Schroeder would be the logical selection my mind)

Thoughts?
Are we still under 67M with Kassian in place of your question marks there? Starting the season with Schroeder in and Kesler out certainly relieves any cap issues.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Alberts(1.225)

Schneider(4)
Luongo(5.33)

Thoughts?

The $67m cap would be next year, not this current year AFAIK. So $70m still this year.

Guessing Kassian would take over that ???? spot.

It all comes down to when the Luongo deal occurs, and for what. Schroeder can tide the team over while Kesler recovers. It's not ideal, but it can be done. The upgrades would need to happen via the Lu trade and they would address the 3C and/or the 2RW positions, ideally. I expect one of those positions to be addressed and the other likely left to be filled internally.

Schroeder and Kassian make the big club now, and perhaps Pinnizotto. That should be enough to tide them over until the Lu trade goes down.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Now, I think I read somewhere that if the deal goes through without significant changes to the cap structure, that we would be looking at a cap of $67m, which would leave us some wiggle room at the very least.
The salary cap for the 2012/2013 season (if there is one) is $70.2 mil.

The talks about there possibly being a $67 mil cap is for the 2013/14 season.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
turkulad

Quote:

Alberts(1.225)

Schneider(4)
Luongo(5.33)

Thoughts?
All I'm thinking is we badly need a capable 3rd line center. If Kesler is out, we need a more than capable 3rd line center who can also fill his spot for a while terri-badly. It feels so stupid to think we'd be icing a team with Sedin-Lapierre-Malhotra center depth with the competetiveness clock ticking away and the Sedins getting older every day, month, year..

After pondering my proposed Nielsen deal for a while now, I'm thinking another alternative could be a guy called Andy MacDonald, especially if that Jori Lehtera kid is willing to come to NA once he's finished tearing KHL a new one. Only thing is, I think we have nothing the Blues would need for a trade to happen. Then again MacDonald IS a pending UFA after this season (if such a thing comes), and they have an abundance of forwards as it is. So it might not be a impossible trade to be made. Maybe if assets from a Luongo deal are added into the mix?

Either way, all I'm seeing when checking NHL rosters are 3rd line centers to be had or not to be had. It's sad, really.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
All I'm thinking is we badly need a capable 3rd line center. If Kesler is out, we need a more than capable 3rd line center who can also fill his spot for a while terri-badly. It feels so stupid to think we'd be icing a team with Sedin-Lapierre-Malhotra center depth with the competetiveness clock ticking away and the Sedins getting older every day, month, year..

After pondering my proposed Nielsen deal for a while now, I'm thinking another alternative could be a guy called Andy MacDonald, especially if that Jori Lehtera kid is willing to come to NA once he's finished tearing KHL a new one. Only thing is, I think we have nothing the Blues would need for a trade to happen. Then again MacDonald IS a pending UFA after this season (if such a thing comes), and they have an abundance of forwards as it is. So it might not be a impossible trade to be made. Maybe if assets from a Luongo deal are added into the mix?

Either way, all I'm seeing when checking NHL rosters are 3rd line centers to be had or not to be had. It's sad, really.
Been saying this since the playoffs ended. Center depth is huge for playoff success; much moreso than winger depth. My ideal return in a Luongo trade would be a deal based around a young, established 3rd line center who has 2nd line potential. Second line wingers are nice, but our second line is going to live or die on Kesler's shoulders anyways. We need a 3rd line center who brings balance to that line; more offense than Pahlsson, and more defense than Hodgson.

Tyler Bozak however is not the answer.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Been saying this since the playoffs ended. Center depth is huge for playoff success; much moreso than winger depth. My ideal return in a Luongo trade would be a deal based around a young, established 3rd line center who has 2nd line potential. Second line wingers are nice, but our second line is going to live or die on Kesler's shoulders anyways. We need a 3rd line center who brings balance to that line; more offense than Pahlsson, and more defense than Hodgson.

Dalpe or Boychuk.

I don't think a 3rd line center needs to be a checker considering we have all world checker Kesler on the second line. For me the third line is a scoring line. Schroeder as first choice to start camp with one of Kadri/Shore as a backup and a Dalpe/Boychuk who can play any of C/RW/LW is perfect.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post

Agree with this 100%

Old
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
struckmatch

Quote:

Alberts(1.225)

Schneider(4)
Luongo(5.33)

Thoughts?
It's clear that Luongo will be dealt. The pieces coming back will need to address the playoff scoring issues of this team - which is the overall depth of their attack.

The Sedins have shown that they can be quieted for stretches in the playoffs - and with Kesler not being 100% in basically every playoff series ever, it's clear that this team needs additional offensive support.

Higgins/Raymond - Kesler(???) - Booth: This line is just frustrating to watch. No real chemistry and is entirely dependent on the health of Ryan Kesler. If he's ready to go to star the year (whenever that is) then great, if he's not the Canucks have a major question mark here.

As stated before, Tyler Bozak is nothing more than a stop gap solution. It's going to be interesting to see what the Canucks do here, but they need to fix their playoff scoring woes.

Far too much pressure on their goaltending and they need to be able to create chances and bury them. Not going to win many playoff games or series when you score 2 goals a game max.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Dalpe or Boychuk.

I don't think a 3rd line center needs to be a checker considering we have all world checker Kesler on the second line. For me the third line is a scoring line. Schroeder as first choice to start camp with one of Kadri/Shore as a backup and a Dalpe/Boychuk who can play any of C/RW/LW is perfect.
Sorry, I haven't ventured into this thread in a long while, is this Dalpe/Boychuk thing an ongoing discussion about some trade with the Hurricanes, or just something you're throwing out there right now?

Old
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
It's clear that Luongo will be dealt. The pieces coming back will need to address the playoff scoring issues of this team - which is the overall depth of their attack.

The Sedins have shown that they can be quieted for stretches in the playoffs - and with Kesler not being 100% in basically every playoff series ever, it's clear that this team needs additional offensive support.

Higgins/Raymond - Kesler(???) - Booth: This line is just frustrating to watch. No real chemistry and is entirely dependent on the health of Ryan Kesler. If he's ready to go to star the year (whenever that is) then great, if he's not the Canucks have a major question mark here.

As stated before, Tyler Bozak is nothing more than a stop gap solution. It's going to be interesting to see what the Canucks do here, but they need to fix their playoff scoring woes.

Far too much pressure on their goaltending and they need to be able to create chances and bury them. Not going to win many playoff games or series when you score 2 goals a game max.
I agree with the general gist of what you are saying. I would add that I think both Raymond and Booth have better to give than what they showed in the last year (or two, in Raymond's case). Both have battled some health and adjustment issues, but I agree that the X-Factor for that second line is Kesler. If he's not ready to go, a lot will depend on how Schroeder (if he is the one to get the call) performs in that role.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:30 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
I agree with the general gist of what you are saying. I would add that I think both Raymond and Booth have better to give than what they showed in the last year (or two, in Raymond's case). Both have battled some health and adjustment issues, but I agree that the X-Factor for that second line is Kesler. If he's not ready to go, a lot will depend on how Schroeder (if he is the one to get the call) performs in that role.
I would love Schroeder to come up here and succeed in a top 6 role...but I just don't see him taking that next step. I hope I'm wrong. He has 99 points in 176 career games at the AHL level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's been criticized for his inconsistency as well. All I can say is, in a 48 game season, there isn't going to be time for this team's usual slow start. There is zero room for that this year.

One 5 or 6 game losing streak can do you in. Maybe even less. I think with this team getting older now is the time to take shots at winning the cup, having Jordan Schroeder centering your 2nd line is not exactly heading in that direction.

I know it may be a temporary solution though. I hope Gillis is targeting an offensive player above the level of Tyler Bozak.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Canucker

I want Ryan Johansen...pipe dreaming a 3-way trade with Toronto.

CBJ: Kadri, Kulemin, Raymond, TO 2nd rounder

TO: Luongo

US: Johansen & CBJ 3rd rounder

Old
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
I would love Schroeder to come up here and succeed in a top 6 role...but I just don't see him taking that next step. I hope I'm wrong. He has 99 points in 176 career games at the AHL level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's been criticized for his inconsistency as well. All I can say is, in a 48 game season, there isn't going to be time for this team's usual slow start. There is zero room for that this year.

One 5 or 6 game losing streak can do you in. Maybe even less. I think with this team getting older now is the time to take shots at winning the cup, having Jordan Schroeder centering your 2nd line is not exactly heading in that direction.

I know it may be a temporary solution though. I hope Gillis is targeting an offensive player above the level of Tyler Bozak.
I have faith in Schroeder because he's always seemed to be a fast starter (see rookie season at Minn and his first post season with the Moose) and he seems to play up to the level of those around him (better linemates in his first (best) season at Minn, great career production in the WJCs). Very excited to see what he can do with actual NHLers as linemates.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Alright, since a lot of you guys absolutely despise the idea of using Bozak as our 3rd line center, who should we try to acquire?

- Matt Cullen? He's good at faceoffs and very fast, solid two-way guy who can put up 35-40 points, can play in the top 6 if needed and can play on the wing, won the cup with Carolina in 2006.
Downside: He plays for a division rival, and he seems to really like playing in Minnesota and fans think he'll retire there, so it might not be possible to acquire him.

- Dainius Zubrus? He's huge (6'5, 225lbs), good two-way forward who can play all three forward positions, can get 35-45 points and can play in the top 6 if needed.
Downside: Sucks at faceoffs, and the Devils might want to keep him and try to re-sign him in the off-season.

- Nik Antropov? He's huge (6'6, 245lbs), physical, decent two-way forward who can play on the wing and top 6 if needed, is capable of putting up 40-50 points.
Downside: Sucks at faceoffs, very little playoff experience, and Winnipeg might only move him for an upgrade since they want to push for a playoff spot.

- Andy McDonald? He's essentially a top 6 forward easily capable of putting up 55-65 points (if he could play a full season), and he's good at faceoffs.
Downside: Extremely injury prone and has concussion problems, and St. Louis might not want to move him since they are a playoff team.

- Eric Belanger? Is very good at faceoffs, solid two-way player, can get 30-35 points.
Downside: Was very bad last season, plays for a division rival, not much playoff experience. And unlike the guys I mentioned above, he isn't someone you want playing in the top 6 if there are injuries.

I didn't put Frans Nielsen on that list because there is no chance he will be available until the off-season (since Strome has to play the full season in the CHL), and only a few fans have entertained the idea of moving him for a d-man.

* also note that all of the guys I listed (excluding Belanger) are upcoming UFAs. It's safer to get an upcoming UFA since the salary cap will be shrinking and guys like Edler, Higgins, and Lapierre will be getting raises, and Schroeder could be ready to center the 3rd line next season.

Last edited by Nuckles: 01-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Alright, since a lot of you guys absolutely despise the idea of using Bozak as our 3rd line center, who should we try to acquire?
My guess is we'll go with Lapierre and triage Schroeder until Kesler's return. Would be surprised/disappointed if we deal Lu with Bozak being a centerpiece on the return. Especially given the crackdown on cap circumventing contracts and the risks it mitigates to potential trade partners.

My guess is Lu goes to Florida largely for futures and a depth roster forward like Matthias.

Closed Thread