2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I think we are getting a bit carried away.

Eric Lindros was the best prospect to come up into the system since Gretzky and Lemieux, and brought a type of game that no one could compare to. He was the best playmaker, best skater, best hitter and was bigger than anyone. Too bad for injuries. He was WORLD KNOWN AND ANTICIPATED.

Crosby and McDavid were and are stars in the making, and second tier to Lemieux, Gretzky and Lindros.

But to say that Kirwan and Greenway are Lindros type. WOW. Last time I checked the web, or media , they are at most locally and regionally known, NOT world known.

I dont doubt that they will be good/great players in the OHL or US program, but to say that they are Lindros Like, I must disagree.

JMO
That's why I said the following :

"I'm assuming he's not quite on par with Lindros as a 15 year old, as he'd be a sure fire number 1 overall pick, but Kirwan does sound very impressive."

I am in full agreement with you that we'll never see a prospect generate the kind of excitement Lindros did.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
chewerjones

All I am saying is that too many people put stardom on a player because he seems to be on a different level then the kids that they play against. Maybe it is just that they play with inferior talent then the normal kids that play in the Detroit Loop or GTHL, or OMHA or Alliance??

Remember Cornell last year? He stood out like a star in his loop and was drafted 3rd overall. Doesnt look like a 3rd pick overall now?

Day and the Compuware boys came to the Silver Stick and impressed but got blown out of the water by the Marlies. I am sure that alot of the scouts that watched the finals against the Marlies, werent impressed by the Compuware stars, including Day.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:42 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:

Day and the Compuware boys came to the Silver Stick and impressed but got blown out of the water by the Marlies. I am sure that alot of the scouts that watched the finals against the Marlies, werent impressed by the Compuware stars, including Day.
I'd think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who's not impressed with Day any time he steps on the ice. Compuware impressed throughout the tournament but didn't show up for the big game, it happens.

Other than Day, I was impressed with #s 8, 5 and 6.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
All I am saying is that too many people put stardom on a player because he seems to be on a different level then the kids that they play against. Maybe it is just that they play with inferior talent then the normal kids that play in the Detroit Loop or GTHL, or OMHA or Alliance??

Kirwan plays Junior A. He and Werenski face the toughest most physical competition, far beyond the minor midget AAA.

Weren't impressed with Day? Not true. It was the opposite. ES rumours started instantly. U cant judge a player or team by one game. Compuware lived out of a hotel for 3 days, which puts them at a dis-advantage. They also had a game that went to 4 overtimes the day before. Brendan Warren if he comes to the OHL is a first round pick from Compuware as well, thats 100%.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:14 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Kirwan plays Junior A. He and Werenski face the toughest most physical competition, far beyond the minor midget AAA.

Weren't impressed with Day? Not true. It was the opposite. ES rumours started instantly. U cant judge a player or team by one game. Compuware lived out of a hotel for 3 days, which puts them at a dis-advantage. They also had a game that went to 4 overtimes the day before. Brendan Warren if he comes to the OHL is a first round pick from Compuware as well, thats 100%.
Remember what they said about Ebert? He was a cant miss prospect playing witth Waterloo Hawks in the USHL. He was playing at a higher level than the MM AAA Loop and was dominating in the USHL. He was a "man" amongst kids, had size and could skate>

Last time I checked he barely got drafted, and fell from "cant miss" to "bust" in less than 2 years.

All I am saying is that their is sometimes way too much about certain prospects because of unique situations.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Remember what they said about Ebert? He was a cant miss prospect playing witth Waterloo Hawks in the USHL. He was playing at a higher level than the MM AAA Loop and was dominating in the USHL. He was a "man" amongst kids, had size and could skate>

Last time I checked he barely got drafted, and fell from "cant miss" to "bust" in less than 2 years.

All I am saying is that their is sometimes way too much about certain prospects because of unique situations.
Good example. I think that is why Hockey Canada has such an exhaustive program to vet ES candidates. It is one thing to be "physicall ready" in most eyes, but maturity and development are not linear. Rushing kids too quickly can ruin them.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
checkmate3

Chewer, you are so totally correct! (this post you posted is freaking me out, my son made the exact same analogy with regards to Day / Ebert, and he's 14!)
Quote:

Old
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
checkmate3

All the US teams are used to 'living out of hotels for a few days', it's nothing new or stressful to them at all. Thats why it's called travel hockey, they dont mean travel to your next door neighbours backyard. Day (as I've always thought) is not hyped as much in the States as he apparently is in Canada. Primarily because no one has seen him play on a regular weekly basis. ES rumours started immediately because "he's finally here in Canada" is what came to everyones mind and he put his best game on..it was Silverstick after all. However, all of the presumed top prospects did the same. The US most likely has a different opinion. The hotel stay and OT is irrelevant..players in the States are used to that and know how to prepare for extensive travel time.
Quote:

Old
01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I dont understand, we were talking about Kirwan and u started to put words in my mouth saying i said he was like Lindros and thats not what I had said. Now it goes to Sean Day not impressing and he is going to be the next Ebert? AFter that mock draft u made, uve become very pessimistic. Why dont u explain Marner at the #15 pick? LOL. U have seen Marner one time this year and u put him #15?

* Chewer your sitting on the fence. U have already said SEan Day didnt impress(Try and find another person who thinks that). Make the statement then, is he over-rated, is he the next Ebert? In April we can bring all this back. I think your way off Chew. Cheers.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
All the US teams are used to 'living out of hotels for a few days', it's nothing new or stressful to them at all. Thats why it's called travel hockey, they dont mean travel to your next door neighbours backyard. Day (as I've always thought) is not hyped as much in the States as he apparently is in Canada. Primarily because no one has seen him play on a regular weekly basis. ES rumours started immediately because "he's finally here in Canada" is what came to everyones mind and he put his best game on..it was Silverstick after all. However, all of the presumed top prospects did the same. The US most likely has a different opinion. The hotel stay and OT is irrelevant..players in the States are used to that and know how to prepare for extensive travel time.
No that is wrong. The ES rumours started because the 14 yr old kid skates like an NHL defenseman and will instantly be the best skater in the OHL when or if he gets there. To say nothing of his stick sticks and size. He has 2 more gears than any other kid.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
checkmate3

Leaf, you've just lost all credibilty my friend...Day skates nothing or even possesses the skill of an NHL defenseman. Not even close to an OHL D man my friend. I know you take a liking to him and feel he is EXceptional...he is not! And your comparison to an NHL player right now is way off base and am sure NHL Dmen would raise an eyebrow to that statement.
Quote:
No that is wrong. The ES rumours started because the 14 yr old kid skates like an NHL defenseman and will instantly be the best skater in the OHL when or if he gets there. To say nothing of his stick sticks and size. He has 2 more gears than any other kid.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Leaf, you've just lost all credibilty my friend...Day skates nothing or even possesses the skill of an NHL defenseman. Not even close to an OHL D man my friend. I know you take a liking to him and feel he is EXceptional...he is not! And your comparison to an NHL player right now is way off base and am sure NHL Dmen would raise an eyebrow to that statement.
That statement is HILARIOUS. Sean Day has NHL skating. Name one Dman in the OHL that skates better than him? I think your out to lunch. Komasarek and Franson skates better than Day? Not a chance. There are many others.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
checkmate3

Not gonna battle you on this ..not worth it. Day has nothing NHL or OHL anything! Let alone his ego is his biggest downfall and everyone knows it. He's cocky, plays at an average (97) level for a 98 and is no where on the map for comparison to an NHL player or an OHL player. I have to tell you he needs tons of improvement and NO is not NHL comparable at all!! I could almost bank on Chewer and half the other poster on here they would agree...sorry, but keep your dreams hi....thats what they say! Cheers to you!
Quote:
That statement is HILARIOUS. Sean Day has NHL skating. Name one Dman in the OHL that skates better than him? I think your out to lunch. Komasarek and Franson skates better than Day? Not a chance. There are many others.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 01-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Not gonna battle you on this ..not worth it. Day has nothing NHL or OHL anything! Let alone his ego is his biggest downfall and everyone knows it. He's cocky, plays at an average (97) level for a 98 and is no where on the map for comparison to an NHL player or an OHL player. I have to tell you he needs tons of improvement and NO is not NHL comparable at all!! I could almost bank on Chewer and half the other poster on here they would agree...sorry, but keep your dreams hi....thats what they say! Cheers to you!
The family comments are out of line. Name one better OHL skater? Stop spinning your wheels. U are the one who sounds like u dont like the kid personally. Dont let that get in the way of his OHL/NHL level of skating @ 14.

Name one OHL Dman who skates better than Day? IM WAITING

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 01-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Not gonna battle you on this ..not worth it. Day has nothing NHL or OHL anything! Let alone his ego is his biggest downfall and everyone knows it. He's cocky, plays at an average (97) level for a 98 and is no where on the map for comparison to an NHL player or an OHL player. Not sure if you're his family from Toronto or not but, have to tell you he needs tons of improvement and NO is not NHL comparable at all!! I could almost bank on Chewer and half the other poster on here they would agree...sorry, but keep your dreams hi....thats what they say! Cheers to you!
Quote:
Ryan Murphy; and from the W..Seth Jones. Ryan Murphy is the best Dman. Dont even think of comparing Day to this kid. Not even close! Your wait should be over as is this conversation...as you obviously are a relative of Day.
WOW! This one seems to be getting personal! Watched Day play in the Silver Stick, looked awesome on one shift then invisible on the next. One thing though, unbelievable skater!

Old
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Ryan Murphy? I dont think so, Sean Day is a better skater. I hope the mods see your repeated family labels your putting on me. If I dont agree with u, thats the card u play, very childish.
So hard to tell. Murph was so much the best skater in his year and still is a treat to watch. Day is so much bigger it is too hard to say.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:49 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Leaf even LuvtoWatch is saying he is a great skater but appeared invisible at times. Whether you're a rep, family member or not..Day is not Exceptional period! And NO not NHL comparable. I will tell you one thing though, I am an attorney and to assume that the mods would be on your side as far as my assumption of you being a relative, means that you are getting defensive over the posters in disagreeance with your statements. Best advice to you is to move the conversation along and off of Day as this thread was not created for Day. Again, Cheers!
Sounds like personal feelings are getting in the way of true talent. I never listen to emotional perspectives of a player from someone who has beef with them. Emotions clouds everyones judgement. The last thing I want from u is advice, no thanks. Cheers. Heres some advice for u, Sean Day has top level OHL skating @14.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
So hard to tell. Murph was so much the best skater in his year and still is a treat to watch. Day is so much bigger it is too hard to say.

Hey Guys,

Just to clear something from my perspective, DAY is the best skater I have seen in years. Only one who comes close to DAY in recent years is Stamkos, as a skater.

I am not going to comment if he is NHL ready, but he has enormous raw talent- has size, best skater in years, and vision. He is definitely OHL ready.

He may need to turn it down some shifts, as the rest of the players cant keep up with him. I did see him make some turnovers and that may be a result of his age, or a product of his team.

Some players have to be humbled to make it to the next stage, such as Ryan Murphy and Ho Sang. If they kept up with their cowboy style of hockey, they would have been kicked off teams by their coach and fellow players.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Garyboy

Quote:

A bit of a contradiction. They impressed but they didn't? They beat the Jr. Canadians, Elgin-Middlesex, York Simcoe, and Oakville. They screwed the pooch in the Final, it happens, as heusy_79 said. I'd say going 4-1 against those 5 is pretty impressive.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
It's arguable he doesn't skate at a pro level, but to say he doesn't skate at an OHL level is ridiculous. It sounds like you have a hidden agenda against Day to make such baffling statements.

Last edited by Garyboy: 01-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Day is a lot more powerful, and add the fact Day's just gliding most of the time. Murphy's a tremendous skate, but I think if you'd put the two side-by-side and Day actually skated hard, he'd get the better of Murphy. Their edge work is quite close, but I'd again give the edge to Day.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Day is a lot more powerful, and add the fact Day's just gliding most of the time. Murphy's a tremendous skate, but I think if you'd put the two side-by-side and Day actually skated hard, he'd get the better of Murphy. Their edge work is quite close, but I'd again give the edge to Day.
Agreed Garyboy, Day would beat Murphy in a race, but thats not taking away anything from Murphy.

They compare Day to a Paul Coffey with an nasty streak. Last skater to skate as fluid and as easy as Day, could be Pavel Bure.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Agreed Garyboy, Day would beat Murphy in a race, but thats not taking away anything from Murphy.

They compare Day to a Paul Coffey with an nasty streak. Last skater to skate as fluid and as easy as Day, could be Pavel Bure.
Coffee is good comparison. They both have that effortless stride. Kind of funny how Coffey actually coached against Day when Day played for Honeybaked last year in the Silver Stick Final.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
mapleleaf979

I agree boys on the Mr. Sean Day points, not the Bure comparison with all due respect. Coffey is a great one, Neidermeyer too, just my opinion. Bure at times looked like he was running in his first few strides. Bure was the fastest accelerator/most explosive, Ive ever seen in my life, of course there are many, Ilya Kovalchuk etc. I read an ariticle describing his style I thought was super interesting. Here is a quote

"Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."

Old
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I agree boys on the Mr. Sean Day points, not the Bure comparison with all due respect. Coffey is a great one, Neidermeyer too, just my opinion. Bure at times looked like he was running in his first few strides. Bure was the fastest accelerator/most explosive, Ive ever seen in my life, of course there are many, Ilya Kovalchuk etc. I read an ariticle describing his style I thought was super interesting. Here is a quote

"Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."
Comparing Day to Coffee, Niedermayer or Bure, are all compliments to the kid.

He makes it look so effortless, and looks like he is barely touching the ice.

I hope he can be the Millenium Bobby Orr.

Closed Thread