HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I've noticed the same. Great call. Hope you're right!
Me too. It seems like every time he has a poor game, he follows it up with a very good one. Galchenyuk is due for a huge game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
And he's what, second leading scorer in the tournament... at only 18 years old? While I'm one to usually bring people down to earth with their expectations, especially with prospects, what Galchenyuk is doing at this tournament, with limited ice time, is nothing short of amazing. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Remember folks: he was picked 3rd overall, not first...
I'm not trying to discredit Galchenyuk's scoring, because he's been on the scoresheet every time the US has played. I was expecting around point-per-game this tournament, he's exceeded it. What makes it even more impressive is that it's a tournament for 19 year olds and he hasn't been playing good. This HFBoards though, most people will just look at the stats a month from now and Galchenyuk was playing awesome. Or he'll have a big game and everyone will forget about his poor games.

His individual play has lots of room to improve. Outside of the shifts where he has gotten points and a handful of shifts that he hasn't, he's been invisible. Which isn't his style at all. He always implicates himself in the play and that just isn't happening right now.

Galchenyuk's production is incredible, his overall play has not been.

I remember FrankMTL posting that the entire 2012 draft class, other than Trouba, has been underwhelming. I find that very interesting. In comparison to Yakupov, Forsberg, Girgorenko, and Faksa, Galchenyuk has been pretty good.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Kerdiles-Galchenyuk-Boucher

USA team selection was not the smartest..

Old
01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

You're being nice. It was pretty ****ing idiotic.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Gally and his gang actually get to play the Czech's and not the Swiss whose opponent will be the Russkies.Winners move on to the Semi-finals.Go Canada & USA Go!USA-Czech game Wed.at 4:00 AM EST - 1:00 AM PST

Last edited by S Bah: 01-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
It is because his teammates were able to get him the puck that he was able to shine in that game. Kuraly and Barber have looked overmatched in the subsequent games whereas Galchenyuk has been very dangerous when he has had possession. Kuraly in particular has been a turnover machine.

If he was playing with RNH we wouldn't be having this conversation. We would be discussing whether he clearly should have went #1 overall.
I have a rough time remembering Gally being extremely dangerous when he had possession since from what I read....he rarely had it. And frankly, since it's not far from the truth, we can all remember times he had the puck and was not that dangerous after all. Kuraly has been awful for sure. If he was playing with RNH, of course we wouldn't have the same conversation. Thing is....just like most players. Keep repeating my D'Amigo comparison, he looked incredible with Kristo and Stepan. How does he look now. But the point for Gally is that he was suppose to be their RNH. Now, I do understand he's not on the 1st line and he doesn't play center. But you can also play a dominant role while on the wings. But like I keep saying, Housley has also his fault. And if he wants to stick with that awful line, might as well move Gally at center and Kuraly on the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Galchenyuk video from yesterday: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-trocheck-usa/

''In my mind, I was pretty bad today...the decisions I made, the plays I made, I wasn't happy with myself the whole game.''
I guess they'll understand more now that he himself said it. I mean, like I said before in another tweet he's surely unsatisfied with his own performance but hey....what does HE know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Germany's a weak team ...
Like Slovakia.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Was awful. Not even sure I would not have invited Samuelsson as well.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Galchenyuk has not been the ferocious forechecker that he usually. He does not need to the puck on his stick to forecheck. He hasn't been the three zone player that he normally is either. Again, you don't need the puck on your stick to play in your own zone.
How exactly do you expect him to forecheck when he is a winger and the puck is on the opposite side of the ice.

The criticism being levied here is largely unwarranted as it is the result of fans who may not understand the more technical aspects of the game. They don't see the dominance that they are hoping to see and don't have the knowledge to understand why. In the Slovak game he did seem a little flustered due to his lack of puck possession and altered his game for the worse. This is common with most NHL players as it is human nature to make changes when your current approach isn't producing the desired results. In time he will realize that sometimes it is others that need to change and as a leader you need to turn them in the right direction. His only problem this tournament is not stepping up and acknowledging that he is the best player on his line and his team. He needs to take charge of his linemates on the bench and in the locker room so that they can help him on the ice.

I don't mean to be critical of yourself as I really appreciate the post game reports from Sarnia's game. I just feel that you are being too critical now and sometimes in the past. Sometimes in an effort to appear objective we can lean too far to the counter point in order to create balance........this is always a mistake regardless of perception.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:35 PM
That

Quote:
How exactly do you expect him to forecheck when he is a winger and the puck is on the opposite side of the ice.

The criticism being levied here is largely unwarranted as it is the result of fans who may not understand the more technical aspects of the game. They don't see the dominance that they are hoping to see and don't have the knowledge to understand why. In the Slovak game he did seem a little flustered due to his lack of puck possession and altered his game for the worse. This is common with most NHL players as it is human nature to make changes when your current approach isn't producing the desired results. In time he will realize that sometimes it is others that need to change and as a leader you need to turn them in the right direction. His only problem this tournament is not stepping up and acknowledging that he is the best player on his line and his team. He needs to take charge of his linemates on the bench and in the locker room so that they can help him on the ice.

I don't mean to be critical of yourself as I really appreciate the post game reports from Sarnia's game. I just feel that you are being too critical now and sometimes in the past. Sometimes in an effort to appear objective we can lean too far to the counter point in order to create balance........this is always a mistake regardless of perception.
In Sarnia, he's an aggressive forechecker. When he was playing against Germany, he was also an aggressive forechecker. He plays wing in Sarnia and in that game, so I don't see why him playing on the wing would have an effect on how he forechecks. Of course he has to be smart about it. There's been times where Barber or Karuly have been in deep and Galchenyuk held back, which was the right play. There has also been times when no one goes in deep.

I agree with your second paragraph, especially the bold. Very well said.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
In Sarnia, he's an aggressive forechecker. When he was playing against Germany, he was also an aggressive forechecker. He plays wing in Sarnia and in that game, so I don't see why him playing on the wing would have an effect on how he forechecks. Of course he has to be smart about it. There's been times where Barber or Karuly have been in deep and Galchenyuk held back, which was the right play. There has also been times when no one goes in deep.

I agree with your second paragraph, especially the bold. Very well said.
Maybe the bigger surface doesnt do him justice since his skating defiencies (mainly acceleration) give him a bigger challenge to forcheck and go to the corners... maybe he isnt used to that.. i dont know..

I not worried anyway like many said despite not playing his best he still manage to rack-up points its quite impressive no mather what...

Old
01-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Was awful. Not even sure I would not have invited Samuelsson as well.
And maybe Adam Erne could have have had a somewhat similar Drouin-like impact...

Old
01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Dharvey33

Playing on the fourth line less than 15 minutes per game his +\- is positive being the second best scorer in the tournament what the hell do you guys expect more from this kid? He his second scorer in the ohl to Strome that is 1 year older he has more points than Strome this tournament also. And Strome is playing a great tournament.

We all know his weakness he doesn't have great acceleration and in this tournament he lacked sometimes intensity. But still i think there is no one that can protect the puck like he can in the tournament plus he has a great vision and ability to wait with the puck.

Seriously i'm thrilled with the way he played but like all of you i would like him to play with Miller and Grimaldi.

Let's see how he does in the championship game.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
The Sting just ended London's epic winning streak. Too bad Alex wasn't a part of that. Goldobin had 4 goals, including the OT winner.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
That

**** yeah! London's win streak is over at 24! One away from tying the record! Goldobin scored 4 goals! Beauty of an OT goal, too.

Goldobin seems to have slotted up into Galchenyuk's spot quite nicely.

I have to say, Sarnia without Galchenyuk and Murphy would have been one of the last teams that I thought would break it.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Papa_Bear_21

The main takeaway for me reading all these Gally / WJC threads is that beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
I did not watch much of the Slovakia game but I did watch all of the others and I think Gally was really effective in each of the first 3 games if unspectacular. His decision making was good and he was able to get the puck to where he wanted it to go more often than not. He was great along the boards too.
I will admit that he has not been dynamic though and the one big problem I have seen is that he is deferring to his teammates a little too much (which has often been stated are not up to his level).
To me, some of the criticism is way over the top, particularlyr compared to what other name players are doing (both in play and in stats)

But further to my point, I must be taking crazy pills because I have not been overly impressed with Jacob Trouba up to now. He has played rough and has scored 4 goals, but his decision making has been suspect, he has not played awesome in his own zone and he has not really started many plays that have lead to offensive chances, at least in the first 3 games.

But to further my point even more, has anyone truly been dynamic in this tournament?
I mean RNH has put up a lot of points, but I don't think he's really dominated as a Jordan Eberle or a John Tavares has done in the past. Yakupov has been a lot of flash, little dash. Griggs, meh.
I have not seen anyone on the other side however...
But overall, not very many performances to remember IMO.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The Sting just ended London's epic winning streak. Too bad Alex wasn't a part of that. Goldobin had 4 goals, including the OT winner.
That should pump up Gally and Murphy.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
[...]This HFBoards though, most people will just look at the stats a month from now and Galchenyuk was playing awesome. Or he'll have a big game and everyone will forget about his poor games.

His individual play has lots of room to improve. Outside of the shifts where he has gotten points and a handful of shifts that he hasn't, he's been invisible. Which isn't his style at all. He always implicates himself in the play and that just isn't happening right now.

Galchenyuk's production is incredible, his overall play has not been.
See I strongly disagree. One the one hand, you acknowledge that he's younger than the others, that he produces every game and on the other hand, you're criticizing his supposedly lack of consistency. It's normal for young players when at the highest level, to be a bit inconsistent.

It's relative and I find unfortunate that people, you included, may have unrealistic expectations on such prospects. I repeat what I've said before: he is the most productive 18 year old at the tournament and mostly, mostly, he was a third overall pick, not a first overall. You may see that as insignificant but it is extremely significant. Imagine the critic on Yakupov then... and imagine Galchenyuk at this tournament in a year from now, at the same age as the others!

Bottom line is that Galchenyuk is not only having a good tournament, he's living up to most fans' expectations when taking into consideration his age, his draft rank, the ice time and the lines-mates he's being given.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
See I strongly disagree. One the one hand, you acknowledge that he's younger than the others, that he produces every game and on the other hand, you're criticizing his supposedly lack of consistency. It's normal for young players when at the highest level, to be a bit inconsistent.

It's relative and I find unfortunate that people, you included, may have unrealistic expectations on such prospects. I repeat what I've said before: he is the most productive 18 year old at the tournament and mostly, mostly, he was a third overall pick, not a first overall. You may see that as insignificant but it is extremely significant. Imagine the critic on Yakupov then... and imagine Galchenyuk at this tournament in a year from now, at the same age as the others!

Bottom line is that Galchenyuk is not only having a good tournament, he's living up to most fans' expectations when taking into consideration his age, his draft rank, the ice time and the lines-mates he's being given.
I can't agree you with you on the 3rd vs 1st overall pick. Most agree that with a full season, Gally is their #1. Even some had him #1 even with no season played whatsoever. This is not your typical year where there was a big consensus for #1 so I don't believe that argument is relevant. Then, because he lost a year, the "expectations" at the start of the year and the panic because of it...THAT was downright stupid. But now that he proved he's amongst the best, if not the best player of the OHL based on age and is playing in a really tough league to play and is amongst the best scorers AND the best player no matter the points he puts in....people still wonder why the expectations? To me, that's the same logic that people wondering why Price had such high expectations. Yes, they are still kids....put either events or people or both put the expectations higher for kids like that. In Gally's case, he's dominating a league with players older than him after losing a full season of play. Most people were then suggesting that Sarnia was not that good and that despite the "chemistry", if Gally would have significant players on his side, he'd be crushing the league. So then came the Worlds Juniors where, while young, he does play against a lot of players around his age, even younger, though surely better, yet at some point, some teams in there, even if it's the Worlds would surely lose against the top teams in every CHL league. So expectations have to be there. Is he going to be the sole responsible if the Czech beats the US (and frankly, I don't see it happening, I see US winning and even Gally taking matters in his own hands, so we will see...), the answer is no. Those are not the expectations on him. But should we at least expect him to be more visible against top teams and when it count the most? I hope we should. Yet, tournament is not over, and when it count the most starts in about 5 hours.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I respect you a lot as a poster but I feel that your comment about people not understanding what's going on as a little condescending which is strange 'cause you're usually not like that. Sorry, but people who will solely rely on stats, well that would be people I'd be targetting....not the ones who might have the "nerve" to pinpoint a couple of things even if the guy ends up #2 on the points total sheet.

Gally himself said that he had a terrible game. So are we solely going to say that he went the politically correct route? Why would he? They won big time! He didn't need to come down on him that way. So chances are, he wasn't satisfied with his game the same way some, aren't satisfied either.

And the funny thing about it is that while you are defending him, and have every right to be, you then say what I highlighted in bold.....which is probably in its entirety, the only think most people are saying right in their own way. What you said in there means that if he fixes that problem....if he takes charge, he would be more visible. Would show more dominance.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

By the way....I'm expecting a big game from him today IF Housley didn't fell in love with every of his other lines from the Slovakia game and almost play Gally on a 4th line. If not....he will have a big game.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I have a rough time remembering Gally being extremely dangerous when he had possession since from what I read....he rarely had it. And frankly, since it's not far from the truth, we can all remember times he had the puck and was not that dangerous after all. Kuraly has been awful for sure. If he was playing with RNH, of course we wouldn't have the same conversation. Thing is....just like most players. Keep repeating my D'Amigo comparison, he looked incredible with Kristo and Stepan. How does he look now. But the point for Gally is that he was suppose to be their RNH. Now, I do understand he's not on the 1st line and he doesn't play center. But you can also play a dominant role while on the wings. But like I keep saying, Housley has also his fault. And if he wants to stick with that awful line, might as well move Gally at center and Kuraly on the wings.
Don't forget that Galchenyuk is a year younger than RNH, who also has 60 or so NHL games under his belt

Quote:
By the way....I'm expecting a big game from him today IF Housley didn't fell in love with every of his other lines from the Slovakia game and almost play Gally on a 4th line. If not....he will have a big game.
Should be a fun one to watch

Last edited by QuebecPride: 01-01-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
That

Quote:

Supposed lack of consistency? He's definitely been inconsistent. He'll have a great shift and then be invisible for the next few.

I think that don't I have unrealistic expectations. I certainly would not consider a point-per-game pace and a consistent effort unrealistic. Sure, he's been producing more than I expected him too, but the consistent effort has not been there. In Sarnia he's a very consistent player who plays hard every shift. That has not been the case this tournament.

I'm done responding to posts like these. I've lost count of how many posts that I have made explaining literally the same thing over and over again. I don't like the way he's played this tournament. Some may, but it's NOT the way Galchenyuk plays. Whitesnake's last couple posts sum up how I feel on the remaining subjects quite nicely.

Last edited by That: 01-01-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: forgot dont haha...
Old
01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Supposed lack of consistency? He's definitely been inconsistent. He'll have a great shift and then be invisible for the next few.

I think that I have unrealistic expectations. I certainly would not consider a point-per-game pace and a consistent effort unrealistic. Sure, he's been producing more than I expected him too, but the consistent effort has not been there. In Sarnia he's a very consistent player who plays hard every shift. That has not been the case this tournament.

I'm done responding to posts like these. I've lost count of how many posts that I have made explaining literally the same thing over and over again. I don't like the way he's played this tournament. Some may, but it's NOT the way Galchenyuk plays. Whitesnake's last couple posts sum up how I feel on the remaining subjects quite nicely.
You have the right to be entitled to your own opinion That. I agree with you and Whitesnake that he could be doing better. Yes the situation is far from ideal for him. But I think he can give more. He knows it too. Which is a great thing.

Some are satisfied with his play, but I wouldn't be honest to say I was. It's not always about the score sheet. All in all, it comes down to that, but when you get to the NHL, it's with your overall play that you get ice-time, scoring will help, but if you score and keep turning the puck over, you won't get up in the lineup.

Galchenyuk can be better than that, and as WS pointed out, the tournament is far from over, now is the time to rise, Alex!

Old
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I respect you a lot as a poster but I feel that your comment about people not understanding what's going on as a little condescending which is strange 'cause you're usually not like that. Sorry, but people who will solely rely on stats, well that would be people I'd be targetting....not the ones who might have the "nerve" to pinpoint a couple of things even if the guy ends up #2 on the points total sheet.

Gally himself said that he had a terrible game. So are we solely going to say that he went the politically correct route? Why would he? They won big time! He didn't need to come down on him that way. So chances are, he wasn't satisfied with his game the same way some, aren't satisfied either.

And the funny thing about it is that while you are defending him, and have every right to be, you then say what I highlighted in bold.....which is probably in its entirety, the only think most people are saying right in their own way. What you said in there means that if he fixes that problem....if he takes charge, he would be more visible. Would show more dominance.
I am actually referring to him stepping up in situations when he is not on the ice. I think that given more time he would be more comftorable in demanding that his linemates look for him on the ice. He seems like a very nice, polite kid but as he matures he will realize that you can still be a nice person while being forcefull when the situation calls for it. If his linemates don't understand that they need to defer to him then they need to be told........this is not an easy thing for some kids to learn.

As far as his comments go, I agree that it was his worst game but it was the residual product of previous frustrations with his line. Confidence is a delicate thing and his was clearly starting to waver as he needs the puck on his stick to maintain that confidence. If Kuraly would do his job as a center and pass the puck to the most talented player on the team I doubt he ever loses confidence.

If you rewatch the games and put yourself in Galchenyuk's skates you will understand what is happening from his perspective. Too often the puck is on the side of the ice that he is not permitted to be on in this system. Alot of the problems that people are alluding to simply aren't correctable without Galchenyuk abandoning his positional responsibilities.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with what I see as it is clear that if he was paired with competent linemates who can get him the puck he is extremely dangerous.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
games at 4 or 4:30?

Old
01-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
games at 4 or 4:30?
No pre-game show for non-Canada games, so 4.

Closed Thread