HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Shayne Gostisbehere(USA) & Valeri Nichushkin(RUS) suspended 1 game each

Old
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
I didn't feel like Gostisbehere's action warranted an additional one-game suspension, but Nichushkin's definitely did.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
The Canadian should've kept his head up. Nichushkin's check would just wallpaper him. Can't see the suspension.

Joke.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
The Canadian should've kept his head up. Nichushkin's check would just wallpaper him. Can't see the suspension.

Joke.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Dangles78

Wait, the video shows Wotherspoon look at Nichushkin? I don't see it.

I see him look UP ICE, but Nichushkin is still in a blind spot. He was directly behind him the whole play.

Not sure how you can justify that Wotherspoon was aware of where Nichushkin was on the ice.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
Agree, the US spear was nowhere near as bad a play as the Russian check-from-behind or the Lipon hit to the head.

Can't believe he got suspended for a game, and think that Nichuskin should've gotten 2.
Nichuskin should be gone for the rest of the tournament

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
the Nichushkin could have been so much worse and he could have honestly killed Wotherspoon. Anybody saying Wotherspoon saw Nichushkin coming lol it was a high hit from behind 1 game is justifiable.

The Gostisbehere play was just so stupid and that wasn't a hockey play at all. If you are going to be tough guy do it face to face and not be a B about it like that. I hate that fake tough guy crap spearing players in the nuts heck I'm happy he got suspended
Nichushkin is lucky he only got 1 game. That was right in the numbers and face first into the dasher. Wotherspoon glanced both left and right before retrieving the puck and Nichushkin moves to the left to line up directly behind him so Worherspoon can't see him. I'm sure he was just trying to elude him and maybe anticipated that Witherspoon was going to pivot left so Nichushkin could hit him flush to the shoulder, but when that didn't occur he drove him right in the numbers. Just a very stupid check. I'm glad no one was badly injured.

Gostisbehere play was dirty and normally I agree there are some things you don't do, like heavily nut someone, but he had just been slew footed by the guy he nutted. Slew footing is one of the dirtiest and most dangerous things you can do in hockey. It's totally unexpected, hard to soften the blow and you can really smash the back of your head into the ice hard. I have no problem with Gostisbehere getting a game, but am shocked that Matis got nothing.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:21 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Gostisbehere play was dirty and normally I agree there are some things you don't do, like heavily nut someone, but he had just been slew footed by the guy he nutted. Slew footing is one of the dirtiest and most dangerous things you can do in hockey. It's totally unexpected, hard to soften the blow and you can really smash the back of your head into the ice hard. I have no problem with Gostisbehere getting a game, but am shocked that Matis got nothing.
Not that it will change anything for Team USA since they are playing without him regardless. But I am really shocked that Matis didn't get anything, with how crazy the IIHF is about eveything I figured he would at least do a game especially since he got nothing in game for it. Especially since he then went on later to get a 2 and 10 for checking to the head. That guy was pretty out of control the whole game, guess you really do have to feign injury if even for a moment.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Nichushkin is lucky he only got 1 game. That was right in the numbers and face first into the dasher. Wotherspoon glanced both left and right before retrieving the puck and Nichushkin moves to the left to line up directly behind him so Worherspoon can't see him. I'm sure he was just trying to elude him and maybe anticipated that Witherspoon was going to pivot left so Nichushkin could hit him flush to the shoulder, but when that didn't occur he drove him right in the numbers. Just a very stupid check. I'm glad no one was badly injured.

Plenty of other dirty stuff went on in that game that was ignored. Cole Bardreau was leveled twice long after the whistle.

If anything the the worst thing an American did in this tournament was Ryan Hartman's flying elbow to Murphy that only got a 2 and 10.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:47 AM
KulleKing*

The canadian kid should have kept his head up. Don't they teach kids in canada not to admire the puck on their feet?

KulleKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:56 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulleKing View Post
The canadian kid should have kept his head up. Don't they teach kids in canada not to admire the puck on their feet?
Doesn't it start to get boring after 143 of the same post?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
He totally should have done this

Last edited by The Latvian: 01-02-2013 at 02:07 AM.
The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Not that it will change anything for Team USA since they are playing without him regardless. But I am really shocked that Matis didn't get anything, with how crazy the IIHF is about eveything I figured he would at least do a game especially since he got nothing in game for it. Especially since he then went on later to get a 2 and 10 for checking to the head. That guy was pretty out of control the whole game, guess you really do have to feign injury if even for a moment.
There isn't even a mention of the slew foot in the IIHF website report in the suspension. How could they not have looked at that? When they are reviewing the infraction on Gostisbehere, they have to rewind the video to the lead up to the incident to rule on it properly. Very disappointing. I was under the impression that an incident does not need to incur a penalty and the opposing team does not need to launch a complaint for a review and suspension to occur.

There was definitely a few Slovak players with questionable play down the stretch. Oh well, the IIHF doesn't exactly have the best track record on officiating in general.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
"Gostisbehere" is one of the weirdest names I've ever heard. I got nothing else.
Tv play-by-play guys and commentators were pleased with his suspension.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
the Nichushkin could have been so much worse and he could have honestly killed Wotherspoon. Anybody saying Wotherspoon saw Nichushkin coming lol it was a high hit from behind 1 game is justifiable.

The Gostisbehere play was just so stupid and that wasn't a hockey play at all. If you are going to be tough guy do it face to face and not be a B about it like that. I hate that fake tough guy crap spearing players in the nuts heck I'm happy he got suspended
I'm all for the suspension based on a dirty hit, but come on, you don't need to justify anything by being sensationalist and saying it could have killed him. I mean, ya it is possible, but thats a HUGE reach and not needed.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Bot suspensions well deserved.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Too busy teaching them not to finish 7th.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
"Gostisbehere" is one of the weirdest names I've ever heard. I got nothing else.
Sounds like an ebonic horror movie.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Yes, that would be multiple games. To me spearing a guy in the groin crosses a line somewhere and I think it was the right call to give him a game.
Did you see how softly he did it? First of all, it wasn't a "Spear" by normal definition... it was more like a hook to the groin. I wouldn't really call this "intent to injure" just because of how softly he did it. It was more like a little, "How ya doing I'm trying to get under your skin right now." The Slovak player absolutely dove and sold it hard (even though he fell down like 3 seconds later....)

That's the thing about this tournament... if you're a good enough diver, you can get the most minor stick infractions called.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Wish Ghost's suspension was longer so he'd stay off the ice. Brutal defender.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:20 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Wish Ghost's suspension was longer so he'd stay off the ice. Brutal defender.
Your bitterness about Skjei getting cut is showing.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Your bitterness about Skjei getting cut is showing.
Actually, I didn't want Skjei on the team in the first place.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I pretty much disagree with everything you have said here.
well, no problem. After all you are Canadian and this explains everything.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:33 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Actually, I didn't want Skjei on the team in the first place.
I'm not going to ask you to prove it, but you really didn't want a Ranger's prospect to play on the biggest stage? If not either of them, who would you have preferred?

Old
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm not going to ask you to prove it, but you really didn't want a Ranger's prospect to play on the biggest stage? If not either of them, who would you have preferred?
Before the tournament I much preferred Gost. Skjei hasn't been doing much and was bottom pairing on the Gophers roster. He was also struggling down the stretch into the WJC evaluations and I knew he was likely going to struggle on the big stage against the best Jr. players in the world. From a pure development standpoint, it really makes little difference whether if Skjei played on the WJ team or stayed back at Minnesota. In fact, he's been getting more ice time right now with the Gophers than he would've with USA. He played really well against #1 seed BC. He's getting more ice time with Reilly at the WJC.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Before the tournament I much preferred Gost. Skjei hasn't been doing much and was bottom pairing on the Gophers roster. He was also struggling down the stretch into the WJC evaluations and I knew he was likely going to struggle on the big stage against the best Jr. players in the world. From a pure development standpoint, it really makes little difference whether if Skjei played on the WJ team or stayed back at Minnesota. In fact, he's been getting more ice time right now with the Gophers than he would've with USA. He played really well against #1 seed BC. He's getting more ice time with Reilly at the WJC.
Fair enough. As far as I've seen, Ghost has been good at times and just average at others. Like almost every player in this tournament, there will be times that he'll remind you just how young of a player he really is, but there will be others where you'll see why scouts have raved about him. All of these guys are incomplete players. It'll be another 2-3 years before you start to see a finished product out of any of them.