HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 07:51 AM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Barkov's skating certainly isn't awful. It may look like it if you look at Martschini or Grimaldi take a skating race vs Barkov from standstill. He still needs to get his first steps faster.

If you look at how well Jesse Joensuu skates these days, you can see where hard work can take you (for those that haven't seen Joensuu play for a year, he's learned how to skate). Joensuu used to be a bit of a tow truck when it came to acceleration, but once got up to speed was pretty fast and powerful. I think that's where Barkov is right now.

Barkov has a good frame to buil on, his stride is quite smooth and he's strong on his skates. He'll never be like Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, but he can improve a lot.

And to comment on his performance thus far in the games, he's been pretty invisible until the 2nd period vs. Switzerland. He clearly improved his game a couple of notches and looked very dangerous out there. He won a lot of puck battles in corners which opened dangerous scoring chances, and he was very good with the puck. He didn't go for any big dekes but played a good possession game. He sometimes reminds me of Sundin on how hard it's to strip the puck from him in the offensive zone.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:53 AM
jaeger

Won 25 of 30 faceoffs in the Swiss game.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Won 25 of 30 faceoffs in the Swiss game.
Barkov's faceoff-% for the tournament as per IIHF stats is 75% (48 out of 64). Aaltonen has the same %, but he only took 4 faceoffs, and Wennberg is leading with 76.19% (16 out of 21). It also looks like Barkov has the most FO's taken out of the top-30, if you exclude the ones who've played 4 games. He really has improved a lot in that category over the course of a year.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:44 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

As well as faceoff wins he protected the puck well especially along the boards today

good solid game

Old
12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Smallz

So judging by some of the recent posts in this thread I'm guessing his lack of scoring in the tournament is not an issue for anyone?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Loffer

How many points did Barkov put up last year at the WJC? He should top that figure, but it seems unlikely.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
How many points did Barkov put up last year at the WJC? He should top that figure, but it seems unlikely.
1+3 last year. There's 3-4 games left, he might go 0+0, but might also go like 2+4, who knows. If he plays like he did today for the 2nd and 3rd period, I'd assume he gets a lot of points.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Depch

I don't think the lack of points will hurt his draft position. It's pretty much the same for MacKinnon, not much productivity in points there. Very few 17 year olds actually do produce well in the tournament. I think everyone has expected more but he's played really well considering he looks a bit exhausted, saw a bit more energy out there today. Making the smart moves, incredibly good at FO, some great passes and just no liability at all in defensive play either, I feel very safe when he's on the ice and today he could've had multiple points easily with a few bounces, but finished 0+1. Scouts can surely see beyond the points in all what he's done. Tomorrow will tell a whole lot more.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Faerun

bit disapointed with his tournament looked tired and did lots of weak plays propably won't affect his draft ranking much but im thinking the tournament drouin & lindholm are having he might drop from top5 but still top10 talent

Old
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
joe89

Barkov's hockey sense was still on display, he controls the ice most of his shifts. It's just a short tournament. McKinnon is playing 4th line, Lindholm is a bit of a 2nd string offensive guy for Sweden etc. Doesn't mean everything in the big picture.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Barkov's hockey sense was still on display, he controls the ice most of his shifts. It's just a short tournament. McKinnon is playing 4th line, Lindholm is a bit of a 2nd string offensive guy for Sweden etc. Doesn't mean everything in the big picture.
sad truth, especially when i see Mackinnon. However yea.

12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Expected Barkov to step up, didn't happen... and now I have even bigger doubts about his skating. He looked really slow.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Expected Barkov to step up, didn't happen... and now I have even bigger doubts about his skating. He looked really slow.
0+2 isn't stepping up? What did you expect? 3+3? He's a very tired 17-year-old at the moment who gave all he had and managed to get two assists in a game against a very tough opponent.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Loffer

Barkov might be exhausted but it doesn't change the fact that he looked slow. Do you really think that he is NHL ready next year if he cannot even keep up with the pace of WJC hockey?

Old
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
No1Joker

Yeah, like there is no 'post-season' for a 17 year old whose biggest weakness is skating to train skating.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Barkov might be exhausted but it doesn't change the fact that he looked slow. Do you really think that he is NHL ready next year if he cannot even keep up with the pace of WJC hockey?

Skating is the easiest skill to train for a 17yr old! He takes faceoffs at 75%!!! as a 17yr old <20WJC, he was really good at distributing passes, along the boards and defending. He just didnt have anyone who he "clicked" with(I`m not actually amazed by that, since our "coaches" switched his linemates EVERY game). A kid his size and still growing, has lots of time to improve skating. 2-way centers usually arent rdy players at 17-18yr olds...

Old
12-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Smallz

Probably would still take Barkov 3rd overall but Drouin and Lindholm are making that choice a lot more difficult than it was

Old
01-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Barkov played a good tournament IMO.. The expectations were just set too high based on his excellent FEL season playing against men. He had all the pressure on him as our #1 center, all the talk about him going head to head against Mackinnon and Jones etc. He's been playing alot of games aswell recently, missed 1 game in the FEL season so far i believe and his team also went pretty far in the European Trophy tournament. As a 17 year old playing 18 mins per night against men will get to you.

Barkov was a disappointment offensively but we all know he can do better. The way he handles his defensive duties are admirable. The only thing he really needs to improve on is his skating but thats the easiest thing to get better at. He's not a bad skater, its just the top speed that needs improvement. And with Barkov's work ethic im sure he'll get better at it.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
toewsintangibles

Barkov is a 6'3 210 pound 17 year old, give him a break on the skating

Old
01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
thomast

Difference between Barkov last year and this year is very big in skating department. His lower body strength has not developed in the same pace than his upper body. Like someone said Barkov is 6'3-6'4 210lbs+ for a guy who turned 17 few months ago his skating is just fine. I think that Barkov has potential to develope his skating into excellent/great tier but not tier above to elite. But with that frame and hockeyIQ it is more than enough even if it would stop right now but i do think that his skating will be better.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Barkov can't skate fast. Pronger couldn't bench press. Have to wait and see.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
thomast

Barkov didn't stand out like Ristolainen but he had solid tournament. Can't understand talks about him being disappointment. Without much support Barkov did just well enough.

Posted into WJC forums:

Barkov was our most valuable center and foward in the tournament. He didn't dominate you're right and he looked lost at times because his game is molded into pro game already. Offensively he was bit unlucky at times, pucks didn't bounce in, goalies made game savers and even own player blocked his certain goal(Lehkonen). Even when he looked exhausted and didn't have any chemistry during the tournament he produced 3 points in 4 games and stepped up when Finland had comeback against Sweden but after that his team mates took another stupid offensive zone penalties which made Barkov to kill more penalties and be more exhausted and ended up as goals against.

Talks about Barkov being disappointment are nonsence. Most of us expected him to be offensively more effective but he had mostly to do everything by himself because his linemates lost the puck easily, hogged the puck, couldn't do the cycling game and with better luck he could be couple points over PPG.

IMO Barkov was our most valuable foward because he was the guy who had to fix other guys stupid penalties to waste energy on PK, he had to work his ass off in every shift to maintain the puck posession in the offensive zone. Try to keep your energy level high. There was no other player who played as hard working game without any stupid penalties. Ristolainen was the MVP IMO but Barkov wasn't an disappointment. He was an player who did everything helping this team out wasn't flashy but solid and in overall game most valuable foward in team finland by big margin. I'm very happy with his effort and how he worked hard in this tournament. It didn't help when you're already exhausted and you have to kill flatout stupid penalties.

The reason why he is succesfull in FEL is that he doesen't have to take care of everything in his line in FEL or fix the mistakes which are caused by his team mates stupidity. There was many samples where he had to fix when defenseman rushed the puck and lost it to opposite player after long shift. It was Barkov who had to fix those mistakes and skate hard into D or take defensive position to take care of possible giveaways and stayed out of the offensive game. No wonder if he was exhausted.

Looking just small sample of WJC is stupid. Barkov is at times very dominant in FEL and there is no situations where he can't play in FEL. I'm very suprised if he is not playing in the NHL next year because Barkov can play in every line and in all situations. He is very usefull player already and physically ready.

If we take the point that how the 2013 draftees performed comparing to the support what teammates gave Barkov have to be one of the best performers because Barkov barely had any support. Mostly other guys giving him more dirty work to clean up.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Baggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Talks about Barkov being disappointment are nonsence.
He was disappointing. Atleast to me there's no other way to see it. He's our most dominant youth player in FEL despite being (one of) the youngest. The way we've seen him dominate against men in FEL this season with great physicality/balance and elite playmaking skills I think it was fair to expect more against juniors. Not saying he was bad, he made the right plays more often than not, but didn't stand out.

There's a lot of talk that he wasn't 100% (tired etc.) and he certainly looked like that. Even so, I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was disappointing. In his defence of course, basically the whole team was a huge disappointment.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:19 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggie View Post
He was disappointing. Atleast to me there's no other way to see it. He's our most dominant youth player in FEL despite being (one of) the youngest. The way we've seen him dominate against men in FEL this season with great physicality/balance and elite playmaking skills I think it was fair to expect more against juniors. Not saying he was bad, he made the right plays more often than not, but didn't stand out.

There's a lot of talk that he wasn't 100% (tired etc.) and he certainly looked like that. Even so, I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was disappointing. In his defence of course, basically the whole team was a huge disappointment.
In FEL he has much better supporting cast and he don't have to take care about everything or waste energy to play alot of PK. He didn't stand out offensively but he is just 17 year old and it is hard to dominate U20 WJC. See Elias Lindholm, Artturi Lehkonen, MacKinnon, Drouin. With little bit of more luck and team mates help he would have over PPG. He didn't click with his Linemates. Like you said whole team was an disappointment but Barkov was one of the top performers for team Finland. Barkov was better against sweden and czechs than against latvia. He was starting to heat up offensively. Mikael Granlund had 7points in 7games at the WJC after good stretch in FEL in his draft year. 5 points was against austria and was an nonfactor against top countries as 17 year old. Barkov was better against top countries and played in every situation unlike Granlund.

I stated before the tournament that Barkov could be lost in Junior games because his game is already molded into pro game against men which doesen't work in junior level.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggie View Post

Whether he was disappointing or not depends on what you were expecting to see. If you'd seen some of his last SM-liiga games, you'd have seen even then that he was tired. When you're exhausted, you need time off and a lot of rest, but Barkov didn't get any of it because Rautakorpi decided to take him along for the ET games. Based on that, people should have known that he wasn't going to be a monster in this tournament, because the fatigue doesn't disappear overnight.

He did the best he could in his current state, and you can't ask for more. He was more useful to the team than most of the players who weren't tired.

Closed Thread