HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden

Old
01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Wade Redden

If/when Redden gets bought out by the Rangers, does he get another contract or does he retire?

I still think he could be a serviceable NHL defender at a low salary. Could be a decent 5-6 guy.

Any takers?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
I think a couple teams might take a chance at a 1-2 year deal at a low salary but who knows if he's willing to take it. That's a pretty big drop in his salary. Also will be working a lot harder as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see a basement team pick him up though, maybe mentor some of the young defensemen on their team, then trade him at the deadline for a team looking for a veteran player and maybe if he actually plays well, his value will go up even higher.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Oates2Neely

I'd like to see Boston take a shot at him for cheap $. Redden had some of his best years paired with Chara. Perhaps without the pressure of living up to a big contract Redden could settle in as a nice 5-6 dman?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'd like to see Boston take a shot at him for cheap $. Redden had some of his best years paired with Chara. Perhaps without the pressure of living up to a big contract Redden could settle in as a nice 5-6 dman?
He did? Funny, I don't recall chara and redden playing together...

Kush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
BigZKingK

Quote:
They never played together

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
rockinghockey

They played in Ottawa together. Any way I think EDM should sign him, it would be cheap and he is still a good dman he was just way over paid. Such a stupid contract from Sather.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Redden's barely an AHL dmen. During his time with the Rangers, he got outplayed by practically every dmen on the team.

I'd rather have someone with upside on my third pair. Or, someone who actually competes. Or, someone who can move the puck. Or, someone who can clear the crease. Maybe someone capable of displaying a competitive desire to win. Someone who plays like he gives a ****.

Reddens done. Avoid him like the plague. He's a has-been who was one of the highest paid dmen in the league and played like a #7 dmen who didn't care about his job.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
He did? Funny, I don't recall chara and redden playing together...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
They never played together
Chara and Redden were one of the best pairings in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
They played in Ottawa together. Any way I think EDM should sign him, it would be cheap and he is still a good dman he was just way over paid. Such a stupid contract from Sather.
Wade was almost traded to Edm. He had a no-trade claus on his 2 year deal. Rejected it.

And Sather wasn't the only one offering Wade big money. I remember throwing my wireless mouse when I heard about the signing.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Hmm, interesting, never knew that.

Ottawa has plenty of money to spend, so minimum wouldn't hurt us (not that we should throw money).

Last edited by HavlatMach9: 01-02-2013 at 10:17 AM.
HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Wade was almost traded to Edm. He had a no-trade claus on his 2 year deal. Rejected it.

And Sather wasn't the only one offering Wade big money. I remember throwing my wireless mouse when I heard about the signing.
Haven't heard that one before. Link?

I think there would be a number of teams who consider offering him a one year deal for dirt cheap to see if he can be a veteran depth guy.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
wej20

1 year deal at the league minumum, if he's lucky it's one way but more likely 2-way (with a decent salary in the AHL)

Last edited by wej20: 01-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I absolutely think he gets a shot at a bargain salary.

It wasn't Redden that was the problem so much as his cap hit.

Matter of fact I'd take him back on the Rangers over Stu Bickel.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Barnaby

He's been in the AHL too long for me to give him a guaranteed deal, but he might not be a bad tryout option for some team who lacks depth...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
DesertDawg

Thought about the Islanders. But he probably just retire and fade away
with all that cash. Amnesty buy-out his last contract year. If the league gets it's way, Redden's cap hit may be included in this year even if the Rangers send him to the 'A'. That would eat up all their available cap space.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Really, he wasn't.

Chara-Phillips was one of the best defensive pairs in the league for pretty much the entire time Chara was here. In fact, it's Chara who is widely recognized for bringing out probably the best hockey Chris Phillips has ever played in his entire career. Phillips re-defining himself as Chara's sidekick revitalized his career, and it was that pairing that was the key to why the Phillips-Volchenkov duo was so good: Philly learned a ton from Chara, and learned how to be an effective partner rather than a guy who was trying to do it all himself (and failing).

Redden had 3 D-partners during the time Chara was a Senator: Rachunek, deVries, and Meszaros.

Redden and Rachunek were a pair until '04, when Ratch was dealt to the Rangers. DeVries replaced Ratch as Redden's partner for the rest of that year (to the best of my knowledge), and it was the Redden-Meszaros show the following year, Meszaros's ridiculously good rookie year (which, as an aside, is still Meszaros's best year in the league to date).

Chara and Redden shared some PP time together, that's about it. They were rarely ever D-partners.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Haven't heard that one before. Link?

I think there would be a number of teams who consider offering him a one year deal for dirt cheap to see if he can be a veteran depth guy.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...gers_senators/

Newly hired general manager Bryan Murray obviously saw this trend with his aging defenceman and attempted to trade him twice during 2007-08.

Murray first attempted to deal Redden to the Edmonton Oilers at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. But Redden invoked his no trade clause.

In February 2008, Ottawa had a deal in place with the San Jose Sharks to send Redden to the Sharks with defenceman Matt Carle and a draft pick coming back to Ottawa. Once again, Redden nixed the trade and expressed his desire to win a Stanley Cup in Ottawa.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Really, he wasn't.

Chara-Phillips was one of the best defensive pairs in the league for pretty much the entire time Chara was here. In fact, it's Chara who is widely recognized for bringing out probably the best hockey Chris Phillips has ever played in his entire career. Phillips re-defining himself as Chara's sidekick revitalized his career, and it was that pairing that was the key to why the Phillips-Volchenkov duo was so good: Philly learned a ton from Chara, and learned how to be an effective partner rather than a guy who was trying to do it all himself (and failing).

Redden had 3 D-partners during the time Chara was a Senator: Rachunek, deVries, and Meszaros.

Redden and Rachunek were a pair until '04, when Ratch was dealt to the Rangers. DeVries replaced Ratch as Redden's partner for the rest of that year (to the best of my knowledge), and it was the Redden-Meszaros show the following year, Meszaros's ridiculously good rookie year (which, as an aside, is still Meszaros's best year in the league to date).

Chara and Redden shared some PP time together, that's about it. They were rarely ever D-partners.
Why do I recall Chara and Redden being paired regularly after Rachunek was traded to NY. Thought Mez was slotted down to the 2nd pair with Phillips. It was a long time ago, my memory is hazy but I don't doubt you one bit.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
If/when Redden gets bought out by the Rangers, does he get another contract or does he retire?

I still think he could be a serviceable NHL defender at a low salary. Could be a decent 5-6 guy.

Any takers?
He was barely a 5-6 guy for the Wolfpack/Whale team let alone a 5-6 guy for an NHL team.

His foot speed is non-existant. His positioning is horrible. His battle level in the corners and in front of the net are sub par.

I would prefer both Eminger AND Bickel over Redden AINEC

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
rockinghockey

EDMs depth this year on defense is pretty bad, EDM should sign him, he would be better than Potter and Peckham.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Why do I recall Chara and Redden being paired regularly after Rachunek was traded to NY. Thought Mez was slotted down to the 2nd pair with Phillips. It was a long time ago, my memory is hazy but I don't doubt you one bit.
I think they might have tried out Redden and Chara for a few games, but really didn't want to break up Chara-Phillips (because the pair was so effective), so decided Redden-deVries was the way to go. That's at least the way I recall it happening... maybe another old fart Sens fan like myself can corroborate?

Like I said before, though: you might remember them together because they spent a bit of PP time together?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think they might have tried out Redden and Chara for a few games, but really didn't want to break up Chara-Phillips (because the pair was so effective), so decided Redden-deVries was the way to go. That's at least the way I recall it happening... maybe another old fart Sens fan like myself can corroborate?

Like I said before, though: you might remember them together because they spent a bit of PP time together?
My memory is too sour diesel'd to remember my own teams history from a half-decade ago.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I'd give him a 1yr/1m contract to get his 1000th game as a senator

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Boston could sign him, but I can't see them playing Redden with Chara. Redden is not a top pairing defenseman at this stage in his career. Probably not even top 4.

01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I'd give him a 1yr/1m contract to get his 1000th game as a senator
It's been discussed on the Sens board, and I agree.

I don't see any issue in signing him to a 1 year deal and seeing where the cards lay. Worst case scenario, he's your 7th guy who you don't have to worry about losing any "development time" while sitting in the pressbox. It'd make for good media in Ottawa, and who knows what he'd play like if someone dangled the tempting carrot of "playing real NHL games again" in front of him?

Low risk, medium reward. Let's not start fooling ourselves into thinking he has anything close to "top 4 guy" left in the tank, but he's worth a flyer.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Gavy

I saw a little segment about Redden. He basically said that the contract killed his career and he kind of regrets signing it. He said he can't wait until it's done so he can try and get back to the NHL. He would definitely take a 1-2 year deal for little money

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote