HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 07:29 AM
tescosamoa

vCash: 500
My first string would have let them in.

I am really enjoying the randomness of the injuries. LW1, RW1, LD1 and today when LD1 gets back in the lineup..... RD1....

Old
01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Emerald76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
My first string would have let them in.

I am really enjoying the randomness of the injuries. LW1, RW1, LD1 and today when LD1 gets back in the lineup..... RD1....
Ouch!
The upgrading of medical facilities should not be underestimated.
It saves a whole world of heartache in the long run.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
Ouch!
The upgrading of medical facilities should not be underestimated.
It saves a whole world of heartache in the long run.
Not to mention training (through not losing it while injured and theoretically maintaining player C/L).

Old
01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
tescosamoa

Slowly. I am only at 35 login's now. So just playing over a month now. Medical centre is at 4. You folks get to see the ramblings of a new player to the PPM world.

So far. Really enjoying it.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
My soccer sponsorship + media + lease adds up to about 17 million. My weekly expenses are a little over 13 million, and if I add in loan payments I net about 13k of income a week. I'm building up my stadium to increase ticket revenue but am still far behind as I've also tried to keep up with facilities. I've been in I.1 for over 4 seasons now and finished 10th, 12th, 10th, and 10th. I was fortunate enough to finish in the top 3 in the Nat cup once but still have never qualified for an international tournament.

My issue isn't that the top teams are still better than me. I should still be the underdog everytime the Breathers visit The Beer Heaven, The Hole, Raleighwood, Arlington, or the Crater. That being said, I started 2 months after everyone else and after 2 1/2 years I'd think that the gap between you guys and me should be narrowing but its not, if anything its getting wider.

In the beginning I was able to climb from Tier III to becoming a to 10 team as I was either more active or a better manager (due to everything I learned here from you guys) than everyone else. But everyone is in I.1 because they know what they're doing, and I'll only move up if someone quits.

I can't make an international cup, Marshall can't crack the national team, and for any good U20 players I have I can find a better boilermaker, atomic, or high header at that position.

I love this game, but I can't ever see myself making up that half season head start.
Statistically I don't have a top of the top team, but your team is as good as mine right now. I'm a bit better with my best guys in there, but it's still close. Looking at the analysis, you play a lot of games on Low. Ever considered bumping that up? Obryantj always ends the season with his starters in the low 70's and they still perform. So I've decided to burn through a lot more energy this season in an attempt to keep up instead of trying to make a late season run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
It isn't the half-season head start anymore. I was a top team in I.1 in season 1. Finished 2nd. Kenora Stingers was nowhere to be found. He pulls a franchise CF (who is even 5/6 @ 22) and that's history. Win after win after win means money in the bank and he buys better guys and before you know it it's way ahead of everyone. Canada's I.1 is a one-horse race and everyone started on the level. Much of what differentiates the top from the middle is luck... who gets the good pulls and when. Season 2 or 3 early in the season is prime time to pull a stud player as your facilities are starting to ripen up.

Just my 2 cents. But I still proclaim expenses are way too low for teams with facilities and stadium growing out of their ying-yang.
That's the biggest difference between the Atomics and Boilermakers. While I had Mids playing at forward for 3seasons, he's had Sandy Bragg banging in goals since early in season 1.

I didn't realize Canada was being dominated. That sucks.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
I'm sick, but I'll attempt to respond in a cohesive manner.
I hope you're feeling better. There's a lot of sick people around here as well.

Quote:
The players, maybe. I like building players the way I want them. I never really thought about it. I guess the main draw is competition. It's fun playing against people you 'know'. It's just too bad that the US leagues suck as far as conversation goes. If I'm not posting in my league topic, then no one is posting in my league topic.
I enjoy developing players and interacting with other people as well. I've had less time to devote towards those aspects lately, but they're also important pieces of the game to me.

Quote:
I'll be honest, I don't give a crap about the Force's attempt to be the best team in the game. That really has nothing to do with that I want. But of course I want to affect the other top teams ability to keep their stranglehold on the top of the table. This is not just a US problem.

However, as I've said in the past, the Force is the worst case scenario. When I was getting sponsor info from everyone, he was making at least 65M. The next best team in the US was making 35M. Only 4-5 teams were making more than 20M. That's ****ing stupid.
Was that before or after the economic changes?

This is probably one of the issues that we disagree the most on. The Force have accomplished everything they need to in the USA. A big part of the reason he has, and is, making so much more than anyone else in the USA is his OTR. He's dominated the National Cup and I.1 for a long time, but his performance in the Champion's League is (and I feel, should be) reflected in that number as well.

Another big part of the equation is the Human Resources facility. He's maxed out, the Psychos will be maxed out in time for sponsorship offers. The other tier 2 teams (High Headerz, Razorback Thugs and Goldfish) have level 12 HR facilities. The level 12 HR facilities definitely comes as a surprise to me. Both of our teams are at HR-13. I find it hard to believe that those 3 teams at HR-12 haven't had the opportunity to invest in HR recently.

I'm not saying that he should be making twice as much as the tier 2 teams, but he should be making a good chunk more than them. Reward him for doing well, especially in the Champion's League, and don't punish him for investing in his HR facility more than other teams. I understand he's had more money to invest in HR, but it's included in the "Big 4" Facilities as a reason. Why aren't all of the top teams putting money into HR?

As another reference point for your study, I'm making about 27.75M per week in hockey now.

Quote:
Yes. You've done quite well in soccer. Does this mean you deserve to make so much more money than everyone else? I think I've been in the top 5 all but two seasons, maybe three. And I'm making a ****ton of money. It's actually less fun for me. I don't know who else is making 30M+, but if you're not, you're not catching anyone who is. I'm just guessing, but you're probably over 60M by now. Certainly 50M. There's teams in I.1 making less than 15M. How can they compete? Competition is what this should be about.
My sponsorship deals are currently at 50.9M per week. I'm not sure what FC Corona is getting, but I'm assuming its 10+% more.

My weekly expenses are about 25.7M. That's higher than most teams, but I'd argue that the vast majority of my expenses provide a positive return on investment. That's been my thought for many seasons and has helped cause my revenue to increase.

I did expect teams like the Mouth Breathers to be earning more than they are.

Quote:
Come on. You can't talk about any success in hockey. Half of I.1 quit a few seasons ago. You got lucky enough to be propelled into a playoff spot which boosted your sponsors a bit, but it has very little to do with what you did. If just half of those teams had stayed around, you would be sitting in 11th or 12th and stagnating. Unless the recent changes actually helped those teams.
I'm not sure what teams quitting has to do with teams that started before me and still playing hanging out in Division II or III (not a hit on you, you have a long-term strategy) or the relegation zone in Division I. But yes, my team (and every other team) moved up the rankings due to teams quitting.

Quote:
So you prefer a game that favors the winners to such an extent that it will take a new team 5 years to catch up? That's a good time frame for you? This game will die if something isn't done to fix it. Most people are looking for a reason to quit as soon as they figure out how bad it is.
5 years is fine with me. As long as I can make some sort of progress each season, this yes, I can handle 5 years to compete for a Division I title. That may not be the popular opinion, but my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and I don't want my opinion to be ignored because I was too lazy to bring it up.

I should probably mention at this point that I grew up as a Cubs fan.

Quote:
Statistically I don't have a top of the top team, but your team is as good as mine right now. I'm a bit better with my best guys in there, but it's still close. Looking at the analysis, you play a lot of games on Low. Ever considered bumping that up? Obryantj always ends the season with his starters in the low 70's and they still perform. So I've decided to burn through a lot more energy this season in an attempt to keep up instead of trying to make a late season run.
I've conserved a bit more energy so far this season, but playing games at a higher difficulty was important to my success in past seasons.

Quote:
That's the biggest difference between the Atomics and Boilermakers. While I had Mids playing at forward for 3seasons, he's had Sandy Bragg banging in goals since early in season 1.
Bragg has been a great player for my team, no doubt. McCready is better though, in terms of both attributes (besides passing) and effective quality, and is younger. I understand he was pulled as a goalie, but he's still a better player than Bragg. You also won a I.1 title with the league's leading scorer in season 2, just a season before pulling McCready.

Quote:
I didn't realize Canada was being dominated. That sucks.
Kenora and NKDJ are tied for the top OTS in North America. It looks like they've both done it by purchasing players and spending less on infrastructure than FC Corona and myself.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:07 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
My sponsorship deals are currently at 50.9M per week. I'm not sure what FC Corona is getting, but I'm assuming its 10+% more.
That is double what I get. Sure hope you're not complaining!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Some of Canada's best are on the market. HL Football just tossed up his top guys and top prospects (including Yves Todd, top-5 GK in the world). He tossed them up to come due on Tues-Wed of next week. Thought you guys who are the richy-riches in soccer may want a heads up as there'll be some franchise players up for grabs.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
That is double what I get. Sure hope you're not complaining!
Not complaining, but I would like to make more than FC Corona next season.

Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Some of Canada's best are on the market. HL Football just tossed up his top guys and top prospects (including Yves Todd, top-5 GK in the world). He tossed them up to come due on Tues-Wed of next week. Thought you guys who are the richy-riches in soccer may want a heads up as there'll be some franchise players up for grabs.
I threw a watchful bid out on Todd, but I don't have enough cash to win him and goalkeeper is not a position of need at the moment. I'll be looking for a franchise forward near the end of the season if you see/hear of any going on the market.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
canucks357

Quote:
I threw a watchful bid out on Todd, but I don't have enough cash to win him and goalkeeper is not a position of need at the moment. I'll be looking for a franchise forward near the end of the season if you see/hear of any going on the market.
Define "franchise". I sold a 21 5/6 RF earlier this season for 50M. I still have an abundance of fwds and could afford to move one good one including the one I have on the USA NT or my other American fwd I bought off of GirouxGiroux.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

HELP!

I complained in here about a month ago that PPM was getting slow. Well, things have only worsened since then. I can no longer even play the game as each page takes about 5 minutes to load.

However, I have since learned that the issue is something happening in my home. Was able to login over the holidays and it worked great everywhere I went. Unfortunately, as soon as I got back home I started experiencing the same issues. Tried it at work today and it was fine. The issue is definitely something in my home. Doesn't matter which computer I try nor which browser I use - I still have the same slow issue. Tried clearing the cache and erasing cookies and that didn't help either. I can't figure out what the issue might be. All other website are functioning well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
HELP!

I complained in here about a month ago that PPM was getting slow. Well, things have only worsened since then. I can no longer even play the game as each page takes about 5 minutes to load.

However, I have since learned that the issue is something happening in my home. Was able to login over the holidays and it worked great everywhere I went. Unfortunately, as soon as I got back home I started experiencing the same issues. Tried it at work today and it was fine. The issue is definitely something in my home. Doesn't matter which computer I try nor which browser I use - I still have the same slow issue. Tried clearing the cache and erasing cookies and that didn't help either. I can't figure out what the issue might be. All other website are functioning well.

That's a good one. I have no idea. Definitely something on your end. Is there something besides your network/router that your home computers share in common that the others don't?

Old
01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
Define "franchise". I sold a 21 5/6 RF earlier this season for 50M. I still have an abundance of fwds and could afford to move one good one including the one I have on the USA NT or my other American fwd I bought off of GirouxGiroux.
What I'd like is a forward younger than my current starting forwards (23 and 21), better than my current starting forwards (35 and 33 IGRs), with an exceptional CL history and exceptional qualities.

With that said, I'd be interested in Sharrard if I'm still looking and he's available near the end of the season (I'll need to save up some cash). He dropped to 5/6 at 16 though, didn't he?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
canucks357

Quote:
He dropped to 5/6 at 16 though, didn't he?
Of course, all players I hope to build a team around do...

Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
tujague

Quote:
I enjoy developing players and interacting with other people as well. I've had less time to devote towards those aspects lately, but they're also important pieces of the game to me.
It's a shame this doesn't happen on PPM. I can't get anyone to talk about their teams. Sometimes they'll reply to me and sometimes someone else will talk about our recent game, but other than that there's nothing in any of the league forums. I haven't been in I.1 in a while, but I'd bet that my posts are still on the last two pages. Ooh. I had to go back 3 pages to find my posts. I wonder what got everyone so excited that they posted more than 30 times in the last 5 months?

Quote:
Was that before or after the economic changes?
It had to be before. Most of the people I was talking to about sponsors and how much Leggmann was making have quit the game. Oops

Quote:
This is probably one of the issues that we disagree the most on. The Force have accomplished everything they need to in the USA. A big part of the reason he has, and is, making so much more than anyone else in the USA is his OTR. He's dominated the National Cup and I.1 for a long time, but his performance in the Champion's League is (and I feel, should be) reflected in that number as well.
Rewarding him for his accomplishments should not mean breaking the game. That's what happened. And it happens immediately. It happened in soccer a few seasons ago. I don't know what the other guys are making, but there's a group of us who will be crushing this country for a long time. No one will get close. I think that takes a lot of the fun out of it. but at least we have a few teams competing for the top spot.

Quote:
I'm not saying that he should be making twice as much as the tier 2 teams, but he should be making a good chunk more than them. Reward him for doing well, especially in the Champion's League, and don't punish him for investing in his HR facility more than other teams. I understand he's had more money to invest in HR, but it's included in the "Big 4" Facilities as a reason. Why aren't all of the top teams putting money into HR?
But he is making twice as much. And it's been that way for a long time. Have you looked into their finances? The other top teams were trying to keep up. They can't build facilities, stadium and buy good enough players to compete with the Force. Which is kinda funny since they all lay down when they play him

I also don't think those guys realized how important the Media deal could be. It wasn't until I started highlighting Leggmann's post about his $30M sponsor that a lot of teams got serious about it.

Quote:
As another reference point for your study, I'm making about 27.75M per week in hockey now.
It was a few seasons ago now, but that would have put you in 4th in I.1 back when I did my survey. I'm guessing it's you Media deal and the reforms pushing you higher.

Quote:

My weekly expenses are about 25.7M. That's higher than most teams, but I'd argue that the vast majority of my expenses provide a positive return on investment. That's been my thought for many seasons and has helped cause my revenue to increase.

I did expect teams like the Mouth Breathers to be earning more than they are.
Broken! I would be annoyed if you were making as much as I am. There's too damn much money at the top.

Quote:
I'm not sure what teams quitting has to do with teams that started before me and still playing hanging out in Division II or III (not a hit on you, you have a long-term strategy) or the relegation zone in Division I. But yes, my team (and every other team) moved up the rankings due to teams quitting.
I thought you said something about promoting teams, too? I just meant that quitting teams allowed you to artificially raise the level of your team. Instead of a middle of the road, trying to avoind the relegation/promo round, you're now a playoff team. Huge sponsor boosts allow you to build more and probably buy a couple of solid players to help the cause. Therefore you stay ahead of promoters.

As far as the guys stuck in II, I have no idea what they're doing.

Quote:
5 years is fine with me. As long as I can make some sort of progress each season, this yes, I can handle 5 years to compete for a Division I title. That may not be the popular opinion, but my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and I don't want my opinion to be ignored because I was too lazy to bring it up.
5 years is a long time. We only started a few months late and 5 years to compete with Leggmann will be pushing it. I don't see how any new team could catch up in 5 years. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out once Leggmann gets bored and quits.

Quote:
Bragg has been a great player for my team, no doubt. McCready is better though, in terms of both attributes (besides passing) and effective quality, and is younger. I understand he was pulled as a goalie, but he's still a better player than Bragg. You also won a I.1 title with the league's leading scorer in season 2, just a season before pulling McCready.
McCready is younger, and he might be better, but nothing makes up for that experience. McCready was just another guy until a couple of seasons ago. He didn't score more than 12 goals until season 7. Bragg has been one of the top studs in the country since season 1. That's a big advantage.

And that season 2 title is a joke. I had no forwards on the team. My leading scorer was a fluke mid playing at forward. The next season's 9 goals for Nick Howell was more in line with what you could expect from a Mid playing firward. That's when I decided I had to convert goalie McCready and Midfielder Sember into forwards. It wasn't until season 7 when McCready finally showed up that I could compete for a top spot. Between Howell's 28 goals in season 2 and McCready's 30 goals in season 7, I only had one guy score more than 14 goals (Sember had 20). Have you ever had anyone with less than 14? Nope. And most seasons you had two guys over 14.

Quote:
Kenora and NKDJ are tied for the top OTS in North America. It looks like they've both done it by purchasing players and spending less on infrastructure than FC Corona and myself.
How do you feel about the idea of combining the US & Canada?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
HELP!

Try using a different proxy or gateway.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Makes sense in soccer (mimic's real life) and I could see it flying in hockey. Canadian leagues are fiercely competitive. Mixing the two nations would need some strong monetary rewards since many teams would lose out due to the increased competition. Besides, I like not having to play I. Force in the NC

Old
01-04-2013, 02:41 AM
redcard

I also have to gripe about the OTR system. I can be 7th in the country in Team Strength but I'm 22nd in OTR because I've finished 10th, 12th, 10th, and 10th in I.1 in four consecutive seasons. I have no hesitancy considering myself a top 10-12 team in the country and I feel my OTR should reflect that.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I also have to gripe about the OTR system. I can be 7th in the country in Team Strength but I'm 22nd in OTR because I've finished 10th, 12th, 10th, and 10th in I.1 in four consecutive seasons. I have no hesitancy considering myself a top 10-12 team in the country and I feel my OTR should reflect that.
That was me in soccer two season's ago. I relegated and came back and now my 5th OTS team is more in that neighbourhood in OTR. In hockey I was low-OTR and medium-OTS and I relegated and played for several seasons in the second division. I now have the top OTS in the country (promoted back to I.1) but selling my older players and doing a rebuild has impacted my OTS (currently 10th).

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
neksys

Does anyone have any insight into the shooting attribute in hockey?

I have been pumping my shooting stats pretty aggressively for many of my forwards (as high as a 12:11 ratio) in light of the increased importance of shooting in that update a season or two ago.

Am I throwing away points?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Does anyone have any insight into the shooting attribute in hockey?

I have been pumping my shooting stats pretty aggressively for many of my forwards (as high as a 12:11 ratio) in light of the increased importance of shooting in that update a season or two ago.

Am I throwing away points?
Not at all. Here's the thing, it's a balancing act. The more shooting you train the less of the primary and secondary attys you're training. For a winger, the better OFF/TECH/AGR are (within the ratio) the better the player is and thus the more shots he'll take. Once he takes a shot, his shooting attribute in combination with his skill (idea is that better players get better scoring chances) will determine whether the attempt was successful or not.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
It was a few seasons ago now, but that would have put you in 4th in I.1 back when I did my survey. I'm guessing it's you Media deal and the reforms pushing you higher.
Perhaps. It'd be interesting to see the current sponsorship distribution.

Quote:
I don't think the PPM would consider making that happen.

If it did happen, there would definitely be some pros and cons.

Pros:
  • More forum activity (at least for USA players)
  • More competitive NT (if the NTs were combined).
  • Increased competition.
  • An additional National Cup round.

Cons:
  • League restructuring (assuming we would maintain 1 I.1 league, 4 II.x leagues, etc.) would force teams to lower divisions (and thus worse sponsorship offers). Some teams would probably quit due to this.
  • More competition would lead to everyone's sponsorship offers going down (with the possible exception of Leggman who could see a decrease due to teams actually challenging him). More teams fighting for the same number of playoff spots is fun, but could cripple some teams financially.
  • Decreased sponsorship deals for all teams makes it more difficult for teams to build facilities, arena or stadium upgrades, or buy players. Teams that already have their facilites and arena/stadium maxed (example: Leggman) would become more difficult to catch.

An interesting idea would be to do this on the "Hockey 2" and "Soccer 2" servers. We might be able to talk the developers into doing this and avoid the cons (or at least reduce some of the psychological effects of the cons).

--------------------------------------

Pulled a universal forward in soccer today, unfortunately he's 5/6. 4* in Def, Mid and Fwd and 5th on my team in AQ. Oscar Colburn

Edit: Scouted at: 47/56 44/88 47/81 65/94 62/83 62/93 59/83 57/87 50/71
That makes him my top EQ Forward, with the 2nd highest EQ forward currently at 17 and 4/6 (I don't utilize CL or age in my EQ calculations).

Knocked out of the NC in a shootout. Bragg and Valina both missed their shots against a 13 rated GK. I suppose that means more energy for the league this season.

Last edited by Obryantj: 01-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
canucks357

I had a little rant here. Edited it out. Depending on the outcome of a few inquires my PPM status may change. That is all.

Happy weekending y'all.

Last edited by canucks357: 01-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
I had a little rant here. Edited it out. Depending on the outcome of a few inquires my PPM status may change. That is all.

Happy weekending y'all.
Ahh and here I was just getting started..... Any decisions. Always give it the 24 hour rule when you have made up your mind. That way you know.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Emerald76

Quote:

Happy weekending y'all.
Ah...

Tesco is right - don't rush into any decision yet.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
Ahh and here I was just getting started..... Any decisions. Always give it the 24 hour rule when you have made up your mind. That way you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
Ah...

Tesco is right - don't rush into any decision yet.
Thanks lads. I go by the 36 hour rule when it comes to decisions about me. As far as my rant goes it was because members of my support team and community were taking some heat for what I felt was unjustified reasons. Without going into detail there have been a few things about the game that have bothered me for some time. I've been able to influence policy a tad over the years and initiate changes (market system of max bids, economic reform a few years ago). I was just trying to figure out how to make my point on another topic and stand up for "us little guys".

I've sunk too much time into it to just quit outright. Unless I die in a fiery plane crash people will know well in advance when I decide to pack it in

Closed Thread