HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 06:52 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Galchy could have played for Russia? what is the story behind that...why didn't he? (some kind of training camp story?etc).

And, Galchy could have played for Belarus, right? no that Belarus is in the wJC this year, but just thought that Galchy had the right to play for them, no?

I think it would/could have been a lot more interesting to see Galchy play for Russia...since Housley is playing Galchy like he is Russian/Belarussian.

Housley is really ruining the enjoyment of the Galchy WJC experience.

Hopefully Housley will pull the loads of **** out of his *** and give Galchy more ice-time. This is becoming ridiculous.

Galchy is probably no.1 in the tournament for pts per minutes played. **** Housley. It does make me wish USA would lose since they're not giving any ice-time to Galchy (2nd in pts in tournament and this is the treatment he gets? **** Housley).
I'm not sure if Galchenyuk had already been given his International rights to the States, since he played for them at the U-18, or was it the Ivan-Hlinka. If it was the Hlinka, then it didn't count, since it's not an IIHF supported tournament I believe.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Anyone got the final TOI?
He had a lowly total of 13 shifts during the game (5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd, and 3 in the 3rd period).

And from what I've read from a couple sources his TOI was 11 mins. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 01-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 07:55 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

He was better off staying in Sarnia the way this coach is playing him

Old
01-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
This tournament is a great experience for players but right now the way Housley is using him I'm starting to agree he was better off staying in Sarnia

Old
01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Now you're being silly. The WJC is a great experience.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Just another morning of frustration during this tournament going through a PVR recording featuring Phil Housley continue his mission of turning the 3rd overall pick who was destroying the OHL and was 2nd in tournament scoring into a complimentary offensive piece that barely plays.

I don't even want to hear the ''they are rolling 4 lines so they can be fresh tomorrow'' stuff that the TSN crew was trying to sell. Housley will still play 4 lines tomorrow. Everyone who has seen USA play in this tournament knows it. He is a stubborn head coach on this regard.

Gally played better today. More involved. That assist was terrific and further proof he IS A CENTER.

But what can you do when you get barely 10 minutes of TOI? On virtually every single key PP, it was the Miller unit out there. In the first, Gally's unit was out there for a few seconds, the Czechs took another penalty and on came the Miller unit for the 5 on 3. I honestly think that he played 3 shifts in the first 12 minutes of the game when it was still close.

There was a 4 on 4 shift late in the 1st where Housley went with Kuraly and Barber.

Just infuriating. Like someone said earlier, Housley does not see him as a key player on this team. It's as plain as day. If you played for the USNDTP though, you are going to play a ton. And I fully expect Canada will beat them, in part because of that stupid mentality.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Just another morning of frustration during this tournament going through a PVR recording featuring Phil Housley continue his mission of turning the 3rd overall pick who was destroying the OHL and was 2nd in tournament scoring into a complimentary offensive piece.

I don't even want to hear the ''they are rolling 4 lines so they can be fresh tomorrow'' stuff that the TSN crew was trying to sell. Housley will still play 4 lines tomorrow. Everyone who has seen USA play in this tournament knows it. He is a stubborn head coach on this regard.

Gally played better today. More involved. That assist was terrific and further proof he IS A CENTER.

But what can you do when you get barely 10 minutes of TOI? On virtually every single key PP, it was the Miller unit out there. In the first, Gally's unit was out there for a few seconds, the Czech took another penalty and on came the Miller unit for the 5 on 3. I honestly think that he played 3 shifts in the first 12 minutes of the game when it was still close.

There was a 4 on 4 shift late in the 1st where Housley went with Kuraly and Barber.

Just infuriating.
To say the least. But he's winning. Yet, he's one loss away to be bashed like there's no tomorrow. And it will happen tomorrow. I hope Canada crush them. Don't think it will happen with the US new confidence and all but that's my wish.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
otto bond

Bergevin should pull him out of this tournament.....there you go Housley.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Now you're being silly. The WJC is a great experience.
I agree, even if he isn't getting the opportunities we'd like to see he is getting great experience at a high level and producing. This will only help him.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
shutehinside

As a huge fan of Gally, I have to say that I was definately rooting for the US at the beginning of the tourney and hoping for them to have a good showing, particularly with Gally being the dominate forward. It's become clear now that even though Gally is still 2nd in tournamnet scoring and tied with 2 defensemen on his team that the US just won't use him the way they should. This last game was a joke.

I now really hope they get totally smoked by Canada with Gally getting a point or 2 on a one sided defeat to a much better Canadian team.

Go Gally and go Canada!

Old
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Great experience for him nonetheless and really helpful for the rest of his career....there's no way he finds Therrien worst than Housley....

Old
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
jedimyrmidon

This is just frustration "speaking", but Housley's anyone-but-Gally strategy is infuriating. It's almost enough to make me believe that Housley has been waiting all tournament for Cap'n America Miller and his line to step up, and then play them, play them, play them while only using Gally's last game against SVK as a measuring stick, relegating him to playing with an anchor like Kuraly with little TOI.

Can anyone say what his pt/TOI is compared to other top tournament performers?

Anyways, hope Canada hammers them tomorrow *knock on wood*.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

I mean, the worst is the use of Trocheck now on the 1st PP. Makes no sense. Not that Trocheck didn't find himself lately, but just clearly didn't deserve it more. And no need to give me the "He wants to spread the talent"....you don't do that in juniors. Chances are you'll score on the PP with your 1st unit. And he'll have plenty on the 2nd unit anyway.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Saintpatrick*

I got up early to see this game and was disappointed. Housley is an idiot. At one point he was playing his checking line on the PP. It does seem like he has the anyone but Gally philosophy. I wish I could find his TOI today, it didn't seem like alot. I hope Canada smokes them tomorrow.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Fozz

On the other hand, the US just beat up 2 fairly good teams. Kinda tough to call out a coach when that happens...

Old
01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I mean, the worst is the use of Trocheck now on the 1st PP. Makes no sense. Not that Trocheck didn't find himself lately, but just clearly didn't deserve it more. And no need to give me the "He wants to spread the talent"....you don't do that in juniors. Chances are you'll score on the PP with your 1st unit. And he'll have plenty on the 2nd unit anyway.
Exactly he was their leading scorer before this game you would think he'd see some PP time.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I'm not sure if Galchenyuk had already been given his International rights to the States, since he played for them at the U-18, or was it the Ivan-Hlinka. If it was the Hlinka, then it didn't count, since it's not an IIHF supported tournament I believe.
Thanks for info. I also thought because of Galchenyuk's injury he was delayed in being invited to Russia's camp? (but I have no idea about this...this is not a fact...).
And based on what you wrote...he was going to represent USA from day 1 (was never going to play for Russia).

The positive:
I think Galchenyuk is still 2nd in WJC pts, but we would all love for ****ing Housley to give Galchenyuk more ice-time.
I really wonder if Galchy is frustrated with Housley...or he's just happy the team is winning but still a tad frustrated with his ice-time (only normal...I'd be upset).

(Can vs USA? semis? or we have to wait...? or USA vs Sweden in semis?).

Old
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
On the other hand, the US just beat up 2 fairly good teams. Kinda tough to call out a coach when that happens...
We'll see how he does tomorrow. Playing your number one line over and over while virtually benching your best player against a Slovak team that mailed it in today doesn't exactly prove he's a competent coach.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
CP31

Another thing that irritates me about all this is that people on the main boards will use the classic "hasn't earned his icetime" argument.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Habsterix*

Quote:
I can't agree you with you on the 3rd vs 1st overall pick. Most agree that with a full season, Gally is their #1. Even some had him #1 even with no season played whatsoever. This is not your typical year where there was a big consensus for #1 so I don't believe that argument is relevant. Then, because he lost a year, the "expectations" at the start of the year and the panic because of it...THAT was downright stupid. But now that he proved he's amongst the best, if not the best player of the OHL based on age and is playing in a really tough league to play and is amongst the best scorers AND the best player no matter the points he puts in....people still wonder why the expectations? To me, that's the same logic that people wondering why Price had such high expectations. Yes, they are still kids....put either events or people or both put the expectations higher for kids like that. In Gally's case, he's dominating a league with players older than him after losing a full season of play. Most people were then suggesting that Sarnia was not that good and that despite the "chemistry", if Gally would have significant players on his side, he'd be crushing the league. So then came the Worlds Juniors where, while young, he does play against a lot of players around his age, even younger, though surely better, yet at some point, some teams in there, even if it's the Worlds would surely lose against the top teams in every CHL league. So expectations have to be there. Is he going to be the sole responsible if the Czech beats the US (and frankly, I don't see it happening, I see US winning and even Gally taking matters in his own hands, so we will see...), the answer is no. Those are not the expectations on him. But should we at least expect him to be more visible against top teams and when it count the most? I hope we should. Yet, tournament is not over, and when it count the most starts in about 5 hours.
I don't buy the "ifs" and "but". The fact remains that he DID miss almost an entire season and that alone has slowed down his development. The fact remains that his knee was a question mark and nobody knew if he'd be able to play at a high level, even less to be dominant the way he has been. The fact remains that two other players were picked before him at the June draft, for whatever reasons.

What you and "That" seem to keep overlooking in this equation are the facts:
  • He is only 18 which means that he does have holes in his game, especially playing at the highest level.
  • He is, with Colberg, the only 18 year old in the top scorers of the tournament, second to... RNH
  • He hasn't been given top minutes by Housley
  • He hasn't played with the US' top players in most cases
  • He was selected third overall, not first

Those are undeniable facts. Those who follow me on Twitter will know that I'm the first one to try bringing unrealistic expectations down to earth when it comes to Galchenyuk as I feel that traditional media and bloggers are overdoing it with the coverage of that kid which, as we know too well, adds unrealistic expectations and unnecessary pressure on him (see Latendresse the last time).

Bottom line is by all means, let's not overdo it with the praise, but I truly feel like a few people's expectations are just too high already if they think he's not having a good tournament because he certainly is.

It does without saying that this is just my opinion, which is no better nor worse than anyone else's.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Habnot

Quote:
I found another Gally's weakness......Kuraly. DON'T PASS HIM THE PUCK.
This was evident after game 2....

Old
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
DenverHabsFan

This tournament is an excellent test of his character. If he doesn't sit down with a Russian reporter and tells them Housley is an idiot, then we really have a no drama prospect.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Another thing that irritates me about all this is that people on the main boards will use the classic "hasn't earned his icetime" argument.
I learned a long time ago to not care what the ''main board'' thinks of anything Habs related. Just ignore it.

These are the same people who think Subban sucks defensively, who blame Price for our lousy season last year, etc.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
This was evident after game 2....
Though wasn't evident after game 1.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I don't think USA's very good even strength, hopefully Canada can exploit that.

Closed Thread