HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WJC Talk Thread - "Hoto doesn't like Editions" Edition

Old
01-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Yakupov is a total mess right now.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Yakupov and Grigorenko have been flat all tournament

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I don't agree on Grigorenko. He's been solid.

God damn it they tied it.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Grigo was solid but couldn't convert. Today he was extremely dangerous.

For Andrighetto, he just signed a 3-year deal with a team in Switzerland, Geneve-Servette. Doesn't refrain a team to sign him but might indicate his intention so teams would be less interested.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
DenverHabsFan

Is it just me or Yakupov looks like an incredible skater but just can't stickhandle or pass? Reminds me so much of Ovechkin. Plus, he skates with his head down. I expect a career of concussions.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

its over

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Is it just me or Yakupov looks like an incredible skater but just can't stickhandle or pass? Reminds me so much of Ovechkin. Plus, he skates with his head down. I expect a career of concussions.
Wouldn't Gomez be a better comparison?

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Swiss haven't lost one game in regulation, pretty awesome to see a past regulation team rise up to being a competitive country.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The biggest problem with Yakupov is they keep sending him to center ice looking for the long bomb then once he has the puck he is 1 on 2 or 3. Dumb coaching.

Grigorenko is a Yashin clone, body like Tarzan but plays like Jane. In the NHl when the going gets tough he'll disapear.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Swiss haven't lost one game in regulation, pretty awesome to see a past regulation team rise up to being a competitive country.
Do they even have one player that will be a 1st round choice? Incredibly balanced and well utilised team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Do they even have one player that will be a 1st round choice? Incredibly balanced and well utilised team.
I'd love to see Muller be a 1st round pick.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Yup, Yakupov right now is reminding me far too much of a smaller Ovechkin, and that's not a good thing. He's better than he's showing now but he if wants a long career he needs to play smarter.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
what a goal top shelf from the swiss. Man their program has really improved over the last couple of years. wow
Can you believe that kid went undrafted, if he was playing in the OHL, I GUARANTEE you he would've been drafted. But he plays in Rouyn, so forget that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's still available to be drafted.

And another Yakupov rush dies. What a horrible tournament by him.
Still don't get why they don't unite Yak-Grigo-Kucherov....

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:45 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd love to see Muller be a 1st round pick.
Liked him today. He was on the ice on the most crucial moments, as a 17 year old. Impressive.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The biggest problem with Yakupov is they keep sending him to center ice looking for the long bomb then once he has the puck he is 1 on 2 or 3. Dumb coaching.

Grigorenko is a Yashin clone, body like Tarzan but plays like Jane. In the NHl when the going gets tough he'll disapear.
Or...like Yashin, he'll average 76pts/season over his NHL career.

Say what you will about Yashin, but he put up points.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Or...like Yashin, he'll average 76pts/season over his NHL career.

Say what you will about Yashin, but he put up points.
I'd rather have a player you win with than one that just "puts up points".

I see him as a 55-60 point max NHLer or KHLer but similar style and personality to Yashin.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
FYI that isn't a dichotomy.

They're separate things. You can have good players on good teams and good players on bad teams. You can have bad players on good teams and bad players on bad teams.

Having a good player merely means you're a more likely to be a good team.

We should really hope Grigorenko doesn't become a Yashin clone. That would make Buffalo a much harder team to play against.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

LMAO you are the same guy who 5 mins ago denied that Galchenyuk was not great at the WJC just because he had points!!!

Yashin played for terrible terrible teams.

Look at sakic first 7 years, he was not a player you win with I guess??? Same for Yzerman??

Give me Yashin on my team any day of the week. You need to score goals to win, you can't only have a bunch of grinders.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
LMAO you are the same guy who 5 mins ago denied that Galchenyuk was not great at the WJC just because he had points!!!

Yashin played for terrible terrible teams.

Look at sakic first 7 years, he was not a player you win with I guess??? Same for Yzerman??

Give me Yashin on my team any day of the week. You need to score goals to win, you can't only have a bunch of grinders.
I think you're confused.

How do you go from Yashin to Sakic and Yzerman...comparing apples to oranges.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I think you're confused.

How do you go from Yashin to Sakic and Yzerman...comparing apples to oranges.
Saying that Yashin isn't good enough 'cause he's not a winner is directly associating Saku Koivu with the same type of comment. There is so much 1 guy can do. You are talking like that 'cause you are remembering the last days of Yashin in the NHL....but before that he was a very good player. You need a whole lot of things in a team, and a guy who succesfully put up points on the board in the NHL....you do need them at some point. If Gally ends up not being too physical and yet put 60-70 points on the board every year...that's a hell of a 12th pick. And would have been enough for a 5th-8th pick as well. This is the 2012 draft we're talking about here....not the 2013.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Saying that Yashin isn't good enough 'cause he's not a winner is directly associating Saku Koivu with the same type of comment. There is so much 1 guy can do. You are talking like that 'cause you are remembering the last days of Yashin in the NHL....but before that he was a very good player. You need a whole lot of things in a team, and a guy who succesfully put up points on the board in the NHL....you do need them at some point. If Gally ends up not being too physical and yet put 60-70 points on the board every year...that's a hell of a 12th pick. And would have been enough for a 5th-8th pick as well. This is the 2012 draft we're talking about here....not the 2013.
The point I'm making is that Yashin was an all-star talent but a very selfish player on a team. He cared a lot about his points and contract but not nearly enough about winning. Not a guy that would pay the price to win.

I don't see Grigorenko having that skill level but a similar mental makeup. He is a guy in junior that will put up 5 points against a weak team but barely show up against a top team.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
The point I'm making is that Yashin was an all-star talent but a very selfish player on a team. He cared a lot about his points and contract but not nearly enough about winning. Not a guy that would pay the price to win.

I don't see Grigorenko having that skill level but a similar mental makeup. He is a guy in junior that will put up 5 points against a weak team but barely show up against a top team.
For having seen him play quite a few times this year, I'd say that it's not the case this year. He do show up against top teams.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Koivu was his best in big games and was the ultimate team player, comparing Yashin to him is way out of the ballpark, not even left field.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Koivu was his best in big games and was the ultimate team player, comparing Yashin to him is way out of the ballpark, not even left field.
And what did we win with Koivu? And I have no idea how we can know who was a team player and who wasn't. Unless we are players ourselves and know from the inside that they were or weren't. There were a lot of reports from ex-players that Koivu wasn't the guy who tried continuously to get the guys together. He needed a lot of help from his assistants on that department. Or so we hear. What Koivu had on Yashin was indeed better record in the playoffs. And a type of player that was continuously working his butt off. While Yashin could sometimes be more quiet though we are absolutley not talkinga bout the same type of player.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
And what did we win with Koivu? And I have no idea how we can know who was a team player and who wasn't. Unless we are players ourselves and know from the inside that they were or weren't. There were a lot of reports from ex-players that Koivu wasn't the guy who tried continuously to get the guys together. He needed a lot of help from his assistants on that department. Or so we hear. What Koivu had on Yashin was indeed better record in the playoffs. And a type of player that was continuously working his butt off. While Yashin could sometimes be more quiet though we are absolutley not talkinga bout the same type of player.
Not sure where you get your information from. Koivu was known by his teammates(and I believe a THN poll had him as one of the best in the NHL) as a great leader and very well respected while Yashin was always preceived a guy who played for himself and not the team.