HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Habnot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I found another Gally's weakness......Kuraly. DON'T PASS HIM THE PUCK.
Quote:
Though wasn't evident after game 1.
Inferior competition Gally didn't need a lot of help. Setup two goals and created one on his own...

Old
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I don't buy the "ifs" and "but". The fact remains that he DID miss almost an entire season and that alone has slowed down his development. The fact remains that his knee was a question mark and nobody knew if he'd be able to play at a high level, even less to be dominant the way he has been. The fact remains that two other players were picked before him at the June draft, for whatever reasons.

What you and "That" seem to keep overlooking in this equation are the facts:
  • He is only 18 which means that he does have holes in his game, especially playing at the highest level.
  • He is, with Colberg, the only 18 year old in the top scorers of the tournament, second to... RNH
  • He hasn't been given top minutes by Housley
  • He hasn't played with the US' top players in most cases
  • He was selected third overall, not first

Those are undeniable facts. Those who follow me on Twitter will know that I'm the first one to try bringing unrealistic expectations down to earth when it comes to Galchenyuk as I feel that traditional media and bloggers are overdoing it with the coverage of that kid which, as we know too well, adds unrealistic expectations and unnecessary pressure on him (see Latendresse the last time).

Bottom line is by all means, let's not overdo it with the praise, but I truly feel like a few people's expectations are just too high already if they think he's not having a good tournament because he certainly is.

It does without saying that this is just my opinion, which is no better nor worse than anyone else's.
The fact that he missed the season last year is irrelevant based on how he's great so far in his own league. If he'd started to get his groove back, I'd say you are right.

And then, all of your arguments would be fine if I'd be calling him out as awful. I'm not. Would have like to see him more visible. So I'm obviously aware of everything you are mentioning. But then your argument about #3 pick instead of #1 is flawed. Fact or not, your pick in a draft is in no exact relation of your real talent on the ice. We've seen a lot a #10 being better than a #7. Or a #20 being better than a #12. And it's also all about being a consensus pick. Most #1 picks were consensus. Not last year. So the rank isn't as telling as it usually is.

Oh and he's not second anymore.... But that I do attribute this TOTALLY to Housley. His position in the scoring race is directly because of how Housley handles him. But my point was never about points to begin with.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
jedimyrmidon

I didn't wake up early enough to watch the game, but what did Gally do in his [very limited] icetime? Was he better on the forecheck? Better defensively? Win more board battles? Make better passes? i.e. did he play a lot better than in the last game?

Oh, and if Team USA had Steve Spott as coach, he would have rewarded Galchenyuk like he did with Drouin.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I didn't wake up early enough to watch the game, but what did Gally do in his [very limited] icetime? Was he better on the forecheck? Better defensively? Win more board battles? Make better passes? i.e. did he play a lot better than in the last game?
I thought he did the best he could with the icetime he had. Looked more assertive, lost a few battles, but looked much more involved. And his pass was a work of art.

But he still plays with Kuraly.....I laughed real hard on the main board when they said that Housley finally got it 'cause he was mixing his lines well.....Geez, on which team is Gally playing?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If Galchenyuk can work on his explosiveness in the off-season.. he will easily surpass Yakupov. The only thing that is more scary about Yak than Gally is that Yak can back off defenders with speed, Gally can only use his elusive skating patterns and hands.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Also: Kuraly is the worst piece of **** on the top two lines of any WJC team in history. Including Japan.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Galchenyuk15

Compilation of ice-time for Galchenyuk in the 5 games of USA :

Germany : 12m19 / 1g-2p +3 / ES : 6m49 / PP : 5:30
Russia : 15m46 / 1p / ES : 10m54 / PP : 4:52
Canada : 17m38 / 1p / ES : 10m20 / PP : 7:18
Slovakia : 13m42 / 1g-1p -1 / ES : 8m35 / PP : 5:07
Czech Rep : 11m22 / 1p / ES : 8m14 / PP : 3:08

Total : 5 games 2g-6p=8pts +2

Time On Ice : 70m47 / ES : 44m52 / PP : 25m55
TOI / Game : 14m09 / ES : 8m58 / PP : 5m11

Product 1 point each 8m51

PS: I don't know who I hate more between Kuraly and Housley... probably Housley but very tough call ...

Old
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk15 View Post

PS: I don't know who I hate more between Kuraly and Housley... probably Housley but very tough call ...
So our worst nightmare happened. Housley did fall in love with his team against Slovakia and consider Gally to be a 4th liner hence the icetime. The problem though is that....he did win those 2 games. Reason why I can't wait after the Canada game. I never wish so much to see a team with a Habs in it to be totally ridiculized like I hope they are. Then, Sweden needs to beat Russia with what I hope a good Collberg performance especially on ES. And then a fine Sweden-Canada finals, with Canada on top and Collberg player of the game. So that Collberg takes that momentum for the rest of a tough season ahead. My wishlist.

Then, Gally goes back in Sarnia, laugh at the supposed letdown after the World Juniors, and has a 5 point night mostly helped by Boucher. Dream come true.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

I hope I get to be alone with Housley in a dark alley one day.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
I hope I get to be alone with Housely in a dark alley one day.
You won't be 'cause your job is to call each and every one of us so we'd meet you 2 back there....

Old
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Does Gally have the best Point Per Minute ratio of the top scorers?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Does Gally have the best Point Per Minute ratio of the top scorers?
It's hard to see how he doesn't, by far.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
TOI isn't released by the IIHF anyway.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Small Brain Presence

I guess Phil Housley now knows how Robbie Ftorek felt when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings. I can't remember whether it was TSN or CBC, but they actually put a clock on the screen showing Gretzky's cumulative ice time (or perceived lack thereof) whenever he was on the ice. I mean, how dare this stupid Yank treat the Great One like he was a member of the team and not play him 26 minutes a night.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Dharvey33

Of course the lack of ice time has no links whatsoever that he is from belarus and thus not a "real" american.

If his name was Michael White he would be playing about 20-25 minutes per game. The guy is the second best scorer of the tournament with 4th line ice time. See a pattern here stupid Housley?

Nest year he probably won't be available for the us so it's pretty much now or never to use him Phil.

If Gally was on the first line today he would have put up at least 3 points.

Like a lot of you guys i hope they get crushed tomorrow an that Gally get 10 minutes ice time and still gets 1-2 points and a positive plus minus. That would be poetic justice for not using your best player and it's not even close.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
So our worst nightmare happened. Housley did fall in love with his team against Slovakia and consider Gally to be a 4th liner hence the icetime. The problem though is that....he did win those 2 games.
It's so frustrating because it's one of these things that you could see from a mile away (see my ranting from yesterday). Considering the two games were against SVK and CZE, I don't understand why they're seemingly used as the barometer of this tournament.

Imagine if Team CAN didn't make any changes after GER and SVK... granted, they didn't win those games by shutouts/there were clear things to improve on.

Is Housley sticking with "his" guys, namely the "All-American" players, similar to Spott sticking with Subban? I don't think so because Galchenyuk is/was clearly producing throughout the tournament and definitely didn't look worse than Miller, Gaudreau, Grimaldi, etc.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
S Bah

Quote:
So our worst nightmare happened. Housley did fall in love with his team against Slovakia and consider Gally to be a 4th liner hence the icetime. The problem though is that....he did win those 2 games. Reason why I can't wait after the Canada game. I never wish so much to see a team with a Habs in it to be totally ridiculized like I hope they are. Then, Sweden needs to beat Russia with what I hope a good Collberg performance especially on ES. And then a fine Sweden-Canada finals, with Canada on top and Collberg player of the game. So that Collberg takes that momentum for the rest of a tough season ahead. My wishlist.

Then, Gally goes back in Sarnia, laugh at the supposed letdown after the World Juniors, and has a 5 point night mostly helped by Boucher. Dream come true.
Housley is such a genius,he's never won a SC ring even with Scotty Bowman running the show in Buffalo.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Gally11

Galchenyuk could be slightly injured is the only reasonable explanation I see behind it

Old
01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
jedimyrmidon

Alright, folks, here are the factors that affect whether or not Gally can succeed and thrive at the WJCs:

1. His own play: has been up and down throughout the tournament BUT he has produced at the most consistent rate among forwards and up until today's game was 2nd in tournament scoring (and is now tied with Trouba). This is the only factor he can control.
2. Coaching:
- Choice of linemates: Housley has shuffled all lines except for his despite Gally probably having the worst center one could possibly have
- TOI: He's now being given 4th line minutes and hasn't been given that many minutes throughout the tournament.
3. Linemates:
- Kuraly: terrible center; kills the line; why he is still centering Gally is beyond me

Old
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk15 View Post

They are giving him good ice team vs top teams like Russia and Canada. For easy wins like Germany, Slovakia, and the Czechs they are limiting his time to prevent injury and ensure he has lots in the tank for the next game. Remember, the tournament schedule is very condensed and Housley knows he needs Gally with full energy to challenge top teams

Old
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Alright, folks, here are the factors that affect whether or not Gally can succeed and thrive at the WJCs:

1. His own play: has been up and down throughout the tournament BUT he has produced at the most consistent rate among forwards and up until today's game was 2nd in tournament scoring (and is now tied with Trouba). This is the only factor he can control.
2. Coaching:
- Choice of linemates: Housley has shuffled all lines except for his despite Gally probably having the worst center one could possibly have
- TOI: He's now being given 4th line minutes and hasn't been given that many minutes throughout the tournament.
3. Linemates:
- Kuraly: terrible center; kills the line; why he is still centering Gally is beyond me
Imagine only 1 second if Galchy played center and not Kuraly (no vision, cement hands) USA would have 2 first lines with good centers but you know what, i´m not Housley and i don´t want to be!

Kuraly = Young Turner Stevenson

Last edited by Fifthgear: 01-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
1) They are giving him good ice team vs top teams like Russia and Canada. For easy wins like Germany, Slovakia, and the Czechs they are 2) limiting his time to prevent injury and ensure he has lots in the tank for the next game. Remember, the tournament schedule is very condensed and Housley knows he needs Gally with full energy to challenge top teams
1) seems true enough
2) I hope this is the case but of course I can't be sure.

So, we should expect 17-18 min for Galchy vs Canada...
(I hope so).

Old
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
They are giving him good ice team vs top teams like Russia and Canada. For easy wins like Germany, Slovakia, and the Czechs they are limiting his time to prevent injury and ensure he has lots in the tank for the next game. Remember, the tournament schedule is very condensed and Housley knows he needs Gally with full energy to challenge top teams
At this point, I think that's just wishful thinking seeing as there is no reason to conitnue having Gally centered by Kuraly. It just seems like there's nothing offensively/creatively good about Kuraly. Housley has shuffled all the other lines except for Gally's. Everyone else is being put in a position to succeed by either getting undeserved icetime until they produce something against weaker teams like CZE and SVK or get their lines shuffled while Gally has toiled away with less and less icetime with the likes of Kuraly since Game 1.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
1) seems true enough
2) I hope this is the case but of course I can't be sure.

So, we should expect 17-18 min for Galchy vs Canada...
(I hope so).
Maybe, i hope so, we will know tomorrow! Go Galchy but go Canada!

5 Canada
2 USA (2 pts for Galchy)

Old
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
They are giving him good ice team vs top teams like Russia and Canada. For easy wins like Germany, Slovakia, and the Czechs they are limiting his time to prevent injury and ensure he has lots in the tank for the next game.
Problem with this line of thinking is the games against Slovakia and Czech Republic were do or die and they still barely played him early in the games.

Closed Thread