HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF • Jan. 2 • Russia 4, Switzerland 3 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Sounds like it was a real exciting game. Congrats to Swiss for an incredible tourney! Play like this and you might become a fixture in the medal rounds in the future. Slovakia, Czech and Finland aren't very good right now, each for their own reasons.

As an observation, it is really unfortunate that the winner of this has to play immediately tomorrow with tired legs. Especially after an OT plus shoot-out game. One would think that the quarterfinal bye is already a big enough advantage as it is for the group winners, without this additional handicap on the quarterfinal winner.
It's why you want to win your pool in the round robin, so you don't have to play that extra game. I think it's pretty fair.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Russian hockey is fine. Defending WC champions. Defending U17 champions. Back to back finals at the U20 WJC.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Russian hockey is fine. Defending WC champions. Defending U17 champions. Back to back finals at the U20 WJC.
It's not a IIHF tournament... Canada has regional squads and not every top European country participates every year.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's not a IIHF tournament
I never said it was. But it was an extremely impressive result for Russia. Defeating four Canadian teams is something no other European country could do.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
To be fair.. only Canada impressed some what in this tournament and they havnt really been that good either. Based on the group stage alone atleast.

It's wide open tomorrow.
I can agree with that, especially at the start of the tournament. Their last game was probably their best so hopefully its a sign of them coming together or just the fact that they got a very important part of their team back (Jenner). Either way, this tournament is wide open and any team can beat any other team in the top 6 or 8 teams at any given moment.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
To be fair.. only Canada impressed some what in this tournament and they havnt really been that good either. Based on the group stage alone atleast.

It's wide open tomorrow.
No team really has, outside of the Swiss.

But Canada has still been the best team, with the US a close 2nd.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
I never said it was. But it was an extremely impressive result for Russia. Defeating four Canadian teams is something no other European country could do.
You do realize making 4 teams waters down the talent pool. Not really a fair comparison.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You do realize making 4 teams waters down the talent pool.
You're just looking for an argument here. And what comparison am I making?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
sabresfan129103

Hindsight is 20/20, but if Tampa took Girgorenko instead of Koekkoek they have a great combo for 7+ years with him and Kucherov. The Sabres will take Kucherov off Tampa's hands though

Old
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
It's why you want to win your pool in the round robin, so you don't have to play that extra game. I think it's pretty fair.
I wasn't at all arguing against the bye itself. Bye means that the team doesn't need to play in the quarters and that's all good and fine. However, I think it is an unnecessary additional benefit to the bye team that they get to play against s a tired team that had to play the quarters the previous night (made even worse when there is a OT and shootout). There should be a day between quarters and semis so that winners of the quarter get a rest. Just put the placement game (places 5 and 6) and two relegation games there to be played on that day and that's it.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20, but if Tampa took Girgorenko instead of Koekkoek they have a great combo for 7+ years with him and Kucherov.
They're still prospects and have a lot of work to do, but they're showing some good skill. Let's see how that translates to the next level.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
I wasn't at all arguing against the bye itself. Bye means that the team doesn't need to play in the quarters and that's all good and fine. However, I think it is an unnecessary additional benefit to the bye team that they get to play against s a tired team that had to play the quarters the previous night (made even worse when there is a OT and shootout). There should be a day between quarters and semis so that winners of the quarter get a rest. Just put the placement game (places 5 and 6) and two relegation games there to be played on that day and that's it.
That all doesn't matter anymore anyway, as this is the final year of the 1/2 final bye. Next year everybody plays a 1/4 game.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
That's 4 regional teams. It's not like every one of them is as good as the best Canadian U-17 team that they could form for this tournament.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
You're just looking for an argument here. And what comparison am I making?
No not at all, just saying you are saying that they beat 4 Canadian teams, which while true, I don't find all that impressive. Make 4 Russian teams and 1 Canadian team it would be a massacre, but nothing to be proud of.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
No not at all, just saying you are saying that they beat 4 Canadian teams, which while true, I don't find all that impressive. Make 4 Russian teams and 1 Canadian team it would be a massacre, but nothing to be proud of.
He's talking about the state of Russian hockey, not bragging about the result Now I could be very wrong here but I don't remember many euro teams winning that tournament in the past.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
He's talking about the state of Russian hockey, not bragging about the result Now I could be very wrong here but I don't remember many euro teams winning that tournament in the past.
I just don't see how that shows anything about the state of Russian hockey. World Jrs and and Olympics are the big ones for me. Everything else is a footnote.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Canada is much deeper in terms of hockey prospects than any other country. They can put together four competitive teams and beating all of them is indeed impressive.

There is a reason why only Russia has been able to do it.

You last sentence is nonsense.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's 4 regional teams. It's not like every one of them is as good as the best Canadian U-17 team that they could form for this tournament.
Jussi, you're a good poster most of the time, but this is not your shining moment.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
I just don't see how that shows anything about the state of Russian hockey. World Jrs and and Olympics are the big ones for me. Everything else is a footnote.
Your opinion is appreciated.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

interview with the swiss goalie after the loss. it made me sad for them

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835942/clip/586

Old
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
RageEllimama

Canada has 4 teams because they have 617,000 registered players. (According to hockey Canada)
In comparison Czechs has 96k, Swedes 70k, Finland has 56k, Russia 64k, Swiss 26k and Slovaks with 9k.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
LubluXokkei

Russian team made many mistakes today. Their passes sometimes were just...no comment. Their pp was not good either. They were outrun by the Swiss and as the result they began to get detentions. I hope they regroup for Sweden. The chances are 50x50

Old
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 648
The Swiss kids have nothing to be ashamed about. They played very well as a team and even thou they lacked the skill of some of the other teams they showed a ton of heart.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
nabby12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
interview with the swiss goalie after the loss. it made me sad for them

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835942/clip/586
so sad

Old
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
jonas2244

Indeed, very sad. Switzerland was equal to Russia, had more shots on goal and about the same amount of great scoring-chances. Nyfeller played great, but had one weak goal (0-1). Swi showed that they're a very balanced team with good, skilled players who can skate. Mirco Müller is amazing, will surely go at latest in the 2nd round at the next draft. But also Christian Marti, Dean Kukan, Christoph Bertschy and Sven Andrighetto showed a great game.

I hope they can fill up their batteries and match up CZE on Friday. A win would be well deserved.

Closed Thread