HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Hainsey isn't going to be here long.
Hainsey is going to be in Europe apparently he really rubbed some owners the wrong way during there meetings.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Honest to goodness... that would be a tough minute offensive line like no other in the NHL, IMHO...

You could just give the Wellwood/Sedin treatment to Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler and our home record (last change) would be great. Plus hard to match.
Plus if we could steal Smid!!
I want it so bad :'(

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Zajac-Little
Poni-Slater-Burmi
Welly-Scheif/Antro-Machacek

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Smid-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I may be a bit homer but I could see a cup with that team give a little luck at the right time and getting hot (ie: if Pavs pulled off last seasons December in the playoffs).

I would be beyond happy if that were to happen. Instead of Hainsey I could see a rotation between Postma and Redmond on the bottom pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Big smid fan also but I can't see Edmonton letting him go they actually need another one of him to shore up there defence
He's an upcoming UFA and Edmonton is just starting to feel the cap pressure with their young kids. Eberle and Hall's new $6 mil. per deals kick in next year. While Whitney and Khabibulin's contracts come off the books, someone will need to replace them. Then going into 2014-2015 RNH and Justin Schultz will both need new deals. That combined with the possibility of the cap going down they may not have much room to work in a new deal for Smid, let alone another player like Smid.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Any one have any thoughts on the 2013 free agents.with a lowered cap I wonder if we would have a chance at some high end free agents.Corey Perry would look nice alongside Scheifele and Kane
Cue the Holden tirade.

01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'd love to take a big run at trying to sign Ladislav Smid out of Edmonton. He'd be the perfect defense first, left-handed defenseman that we need.

If the cap does indeed go down, I think our chances get a little bit better.
I'd love Smid too but I think Edmonton will move heaven and earth to keep him.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
JetsHomer

I really doubt he hits free agency. They'll throw money at him to keep him. They desperately need him. Plus I could other teams outbidding us.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
I would love Zajac but I play hockey with his cousin and he says he has no interest in playing hockey in Winnipeg says he loves the city but he enjoys his privacy even more but you never know money talks!
I'll believe that when I hear it from Travis' mouth.

Quote:
Hainsey is going to be in Europe apparently he really rubbed some owners the wrong way during there meetings.
No chance of this happening. If you are an owner and you don't sign a player because of CBA negotiations then you have no business running a team. Hainsey will find a home somewhere in the NHL if he doesn't re-sign here.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Honest to goodness... that would be a tough minute offensive line like no other in the NHL, IMHO...

You could just give the Wellwood/Sedin treatment to Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler and our home record (last change) would be great. Plus hard to match.
Plus if we could steal Smid!!
I want it so bad :'(

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Zajac-Little
Poni-Slater-Burmi
Welly-Scheif/Antro-Machacek

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Smid-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I may be a bit homer but I could see a cup with that team give a little luck at the right time and getting hot (ie: if Pavs pulled off last seasons December in the playoffs).
Penner/King - Richards - Carter line would disagree with your assessment of that second line, but I get your point. Zajac would be the perfect fit.

What I don't get is Wellwood back at all, nevermind back to play 4th line. Wellwood is a filler scorer for a weak team, that's it. He's playing 4th line, he's useless. Rather have Cormier, hell even Thorburn in that role, would bring more to a grinder energy line that a Wellwood. Whether there's a season or not, Wellwood should not be back in 13-14, IMO. Antropov brings as much or more offense, miles better defense, more grinding ability, bigger size more ideal for playing the Kopitar/Getzlafs of the western conference, more grit and attitude.

This is what I see for 13-14, probably running in line with most people's but I'll post anyways.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - A - Little
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov
B - Slater - Machacek
Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
C - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma/Redmond
D

Pavelec
Dekanich/Pasquale

Notes, I would re-sign Ponikarovsky and Antropov to 1y 2million dollar deals. With the cap going down, that's probably the best they can hope for, and their size and puck control games should mess well with Burmistrov, it can be an elite shutdown line with some offensive punch, I really want to see this line in action.

Move Stuart to the LH. I don't think it's as big a deal as some people here, Stuart is a savvy vet who should have no problem transitioning to the LH side to allow for some offense on the RH with Postma or Redmond, open battle at camp. Potentially have Trouba in that battle as well, if they want to bring him out of college, could be nasty mean tough bottom pairing in that case.

I think for backup goalie you give an open competition between Dekanich and Pasquale, potentially bringing in someone like a Montoya for a 3 way battle (Montoya type for a bit of a safer option).

A- Ideally, it's probably Zajac if we can lure him away. That would be great. If not, I'd sign a tweener player on the cheap (ie Zubrus, MacArthur, Clarkson) who can slot down to spot B (or move around the bottom 6 a bit) and give Scheifele a real chance to make a run at it.

B-If you fail to grab Zajac, and sign a tweener, this spot is basically open season. If Scheifele claims a spot, you move down your signing. If Scheifele fails to grab it, it's most likely Cormier's to lose, but outside chance for Klingberg or Lowry to grab. Potentially bring in a 4th liner who you can waive/slot as #14 if needed to compete as well.

C - The big question mark. I'd be looking at teams looking to cut salary to try to pick up a veteran D on the cheap (ie Smid as has been mentioned). Hainsey would be fine at a reduced price, but hopefully we can improve upon that position. Hainsey was an offensive defenseman forced into playing defensive, I want a true shutdown guy here (as do many) to allow Bogosian to play the more offensive style we know he is capable of (from his rookie season). We'll see.

D - Meh, sign a veteran or even Redmond/Postma can play here, they are older prospects not needing any more time in AHL. Personnally my preference would be lure Kulda back across the pond, but not sure if that'll happen. An older veteran would be fine as well, so long it's not Randy freaking Jones.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Cue the Holden tirade.
As much as I can't stand Perry's guts, he is a good player and would bring some identity to this team, would be a great signing (even though we need a center more, I'd take Getzlaf 100x over Perry, but beggars can't be choosers). Just ask me to like the guy

EDIT: Also don't expect too much. He is not really all that much better than Ladd all in all. Better yes, but not by nearly as much as people think. He's a 30-35g, 25-35a type guy, his rocket year will never be repeated. But with Kane, Ladd, Perry in the top 6, and Antropov, Machacek, Bogosian, Stuart all on the team you will have a tough in your face team that does not back down, that's for sure...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'll believe that when I hear it from Travis' mouth.

No chance of this happening. If you are an owner and you don't sign a player because of CBA negotiations then you have no business running a team. Hainsey will find a home somewhere in the NHL if he doesn't re-sign here.
I would love to say how I got this info,I think a lot of people on this board would be really surprised at how small Winnipeg really is and how easy it is to know someone involved in a big way with the jets.
It is impossible to know for sure when people post stuff if it is truth or not but most of us are just huge fans wanting to share knowledge we gained.i have other interesting stuff I have been told but I'm sure I will just get slammed for it.i am going to go out on a limb and say you will probably never talk to Travis yourself but if you had a good friend who did talk to him and he told you this info would you question him?

Last edited by Zhamnov10: 01-01-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
As much as I can't stand Perry's guts, he is a good player and would bring some identity to this team, would be a great signing (even though we need a center more, I'd take Getzlaf 100x over Perry, but beggars can't be choosers). Just ask me to like the guy
EDIT: Also don't expect too much. He is not really all that much better than Ladd all in all. Better yes, but not by nearly as much as people think. He's a 30-35g, 25-35a type guy, his rocket year will never be repeated. But with Kane, Ladd, Perry in the top 6, and Antropov, Machacek, Bogosian, Stuart all on the team you will have a tough in your face team that does not back down, that's for sure...
I too hate perry,but if a miracle was to ever happen we could get both as a package and we would be one shutdown defence man away from being a contender

Old
01-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Penner/King - Richards - Carter line would disagree with your assessment of that second line, but I get your point. Zajac would be the perfect fit.

What I don't get is Wellwood back at all, nevermind back to play 4th line. Wellwood is a filler scorer for a weak team, that's it. He's playing 4th line, he's useless. Rather have Cormier, hell even Thorburn in that role, would bring more to a grinder energy line that a Wellwood. Whether there's a season or not, Wellwood should not be back in 13-14, IMO. Antropov brings as much or more offense, miles better defense, more grinding ability, bigger size more ideal for playing the Kopitar/Getzlafs of the western conference, more grit and attitude.

This is what I see for 13-14, probably running in line with most people's but I'll post anyways.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - A - Little
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov
B - Slater - Machacek
Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
C - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma/Redmond
D

Pavelec
Dekanich/Pasquale

Notes, I would re-sign Ponikarovsky and Antropov to 1y 2million dollar deals. With the cap going down, that's probably the best they can hope for, and their size and puck control games should mess well with Burmistrov, it can be an elite shutdown line with some offensive punch, I really want to see this line in action.

Move Stuart to the LH. I don't think it's as big a deal as some people here, Stuart is a savvy vet who should have no problem transitioning to the LH side to allow for some offense on the RH with Postma or Redmond, open battle at camp. Potentially have Trouba in that battle as well, if they want to bring him out of college, could be nasty mean tough bottom pairing in that case.

I think for backup goalie you give an open competition between Dekanich and Pasquale, potentially bringing in someone like a Montoya for a 3 way battle (Montoya type for a bit of a safer option).

A- Ideally, it's probably Zajac if we can lure him away. That would be great. If not, I'd sign a tweener player on the cheap (ie Zubrus, MacArthur, Clarkson) who can slot down to spot B (or move around the bottom 6 a bit) and give Scheifele a real chance to make a run at it.

B-If you fail to grab Zajac, and sign a tweener, this spot is basically open season. If Scheifele claims a spot, you move down your signing. If Scheifele fails to grab it, it's most likely Cormier's to lose, but outside chance for Klingberg or Lowry to grab. Potentially bring in a 4th liner who you can waive/slot as #14 if needed to compete as well.

C - The big question mark. I'd be looking at teams looking to cut salary to try to pick up a veteran D on the cheap (ie Smid as has been mentioned). Hainsey would be fine at a reduced price, but hopefully we can improve upon that position. Hainsey was an offensive defenseman forced into playing defensive, I want a true shutdown guy here (as do many) to allow Bogosian to play the more offensive style we know he is capable of (from his rookie season). We'll see.

D - Meh, sign a veteran or even Redmond/Postma can play here, they are older prospects not needing any more time in AHL. Personnally my preference would be lure Kulda back across the pond, but not sure if that'll happen. An older veteran would be fine as well, so long it's not Randy freaking Jones.
Stuart is a LH d man,and I agree I think Kulda would be a good 7th d man,I would also really like clarkson on the 3rd line rw but want Antro no where near this team after next year.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Stuart is a LH d man,and I agree I think Kulda would be a good 7th d man,I would also really like clarkson on the 3rd line rw but want Antro no where near this team after next year.
I will never in my life understand the Antropov hate. Never. Makes no sense. Other than he LOOKS slow. Oh no, what a useless player.

He rarely skates all out, since he is not an energy guy who flys around the ice, who cares he is in proper position and does all the little things right. Christ, I am getting so tired of saying that. There's a reason he is still a very very very good 3rd line NHL center.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Quote:
I will never in my life understand the Antropov hate. Never. Makes no sense. Other than he LOOKS slow. Oh no, what a useless player.

He rarely skates all out, since he is not an energy guy who flys around the ice, who cares he is in proper position and does all the little things right. Christ, I am getting so tired of saying that. There's a reason he is still a very very very good 3rd line NHL center.
Amen to that.

Can you do a Hainsey rant while you're at it here? The hate for a +9, solid, top 4 defenseman makes me question many people's hockey IQ here.

Mark Flood scores a few goals in his first few games and he is almost an all star on here. Flood was almost as scary as Jones on the ice for crying out loud. What I'm saying is there is a reason Hainsey and Antropov have been in the league for so long and AHL guys like Flood can show flash, but can't be relied on long term. They are solid, they're dependable, they're good.

People put a little too much emphasis on the contracts- signed while in Atlanta - earned by these two guys. Both guys earned these contracts on the heels of big years - good on them they earned it and were offered good money and signed. The Jets are not a team that has to worry about the cap, so for a few years while TrueNorth builds their own brand who cares about a few guys that might be making a million too much. They are quality players who make the Jets a better hockey team and to me that is all that matters.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:26 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
Amen to that.

Can you do a Hainsey rant while you're at it here? The hate for a +9, solid, top 4 defenseman makes me question many people's hockey IQ here.

Mark Floodlscores a few goals in his first few games and he is almost an all star on here. Flood was almost as scary as Jones on the ice for crying out loud. What I'm saying is there is a reason Hainsey and Antropov have been in the league for so long and AHL guys like Flood can show flash, but can't be relied on long term. They are solid, they're dependable, they're good.

People put a little too much emphasis on the contracts- signed while in Atlanta - earned by these two guys. Both guys earned these contracts on the heels of big years - good on them they earned it and were offered good money and signed. The Jets are not a team that has to worry about the cap, so for a few years while TrueNorth builds their own brand who cares about a few guys that might be making a million too much. They are quality players who make the Jets a better hockey team and to me that is all that matters.
Yep.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:35 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Holden your response there to mine is perfect.
We're thinking the same wavelengths...

*Welly 4th line: I was thinking of how Noel used the 4th line as a sheltered scoring line... but I just think that's because of the tools he had (Stapleton and AHLers). I also would much rather have a 6-8 mins of evenstrenght, crash/bang, secondary defensive line and that looks good

*Antro + Hainsey not being bad players: here, here! I don't get the hate...

*Hainsey-Stuart bottom pairing: I actually was in a hurry and meant to put Stuart-Hainsey. Both are LHD but Hainsey has lots of experience playing on his offside. But, just like Wellwood, I'm fine and completely happy with what you did... just my fear is if we have injuries like last season, I don't like Stuart, Postma or Redmond playing second pairing defensive minutes (unless you do get Kulda as your 7D, then he can pair with Bogo durring injuries for shutdown)

Oh and PS... with the second line comment... I just meant looking at 2nd lines who'd have similar usage... Kopitar's line plays the real toughs but they're a first line (since Kings tend to use Power vs Power style line matching)

Last edited by garret9: 01-03-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: AHLers... poor bad writing garret... sigh
Old
01-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Holden your response there to mine is perfect.
We're thinking the same wavelengths...

*Welly 4th line: I was thinking of how Noel used the 4th line as a sheltered scoring line... but I just think that's because of the tools he had (Stapleton and NHLers). I also would much rather have a 6-8 mins of evenstrenght, crash/bang, secondary defensive line and that looks good

*Antro + Hainsey not being bad players: here, here! I don't get the hate...

*Hainsey-Stuart bottom pairing: I actually was in a hurry and meant to put Stuart-Hainsey. Both are LHD but Hainsey has lots of experience playing on his offside. But, just like Wellwood, I'm fine and completely happy with what you did... just my fear is if we have injuries like last season, I don't like Stuart, Postma or Redmond playing second pairing defensive minutes (unless you do get Kulda as your 7D, then he can pair with Bogo durring injuries for shutdown)

Oh and PS... with the second line comment... I just meant looking at 2nd lines who'd have similar usage... Kopitar's line plays the real toughs but they're a first line (since Kings tend to use Power vs Power style line matching)
Yeah, you nailed it, Noel didn't have a choice last year, but yeah like you said I also prefer the fourth line to be an energy line that can chip in offensively every one and a while, decent enough defensively but mostly brings energy. I would hope Noel would adjust to a more balanced lineup, but I have little faith in the guy, so we'll see.

About the D, maybe the key is to get a reasonable guy as the #7. I really think Postma/Redmond should slotted in as a camp battle for #6. In a pinch, I think Stuart or the winner of Postma/Redmond should be able to step up for a few games no problem. The problem is really who it is. The Hainsey/replacement is easily filled by Stuart short term. Byfuglien would be an easy fill with Postma/Redmond short term. Enstrom would bump Hainsey/replacement up, Stuart up for a short term as well. It's really Bogosian that would be the real problem to replace. If it's a long term, you can try to find a solution on the trade market, I don't think it's practical to be able to have a legit top 4 defenseman in the bottom pairing full time in both money and being able to attract a player to do that. Basically the only guys that do do that are young guys before they get moved up or moved (ie Martinez in LA).

OT, but on the Kings if you see a full year of healthy Richards/Carter duo I think the tough minutes will be pretty split. Last year the second line was in and out with injuries and inconsistancy, Richards will see plenty of tough minutes going forward though now that he will have solid linemates rather than youngsters Loktionov/King and out of position Jarrett Stoll. Just saying.

Honestly I am hoping that the team adjusts to see the 3rd line of Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov playing the toughest minutes, those are the shutdown guys, particularly when we go west we will need Antropov's size, strength and defensive awareness against the Western Centers like Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton, Hanzal, etc. That would open up the 2nd line to score more, as well as the top line, improving our offense alot, IMO.

EDIT: I'll just put it here. Sorry I always use LA as an example, but since that is the team I'm most familiar with and they are the defending cup champions, it makes it the easy reference

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-02-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Daddy Longlegs

We should trade Scheifele plus for Matt Duchene. We neeeeeed to get Matt Duchene!

Old
01-02-2013, 03:21 AM
sully1410

I'm with Holden here. I do not get the Hainsey/Antropov hate. I really don't. Antro brings so much skill into this team it's ridiculous. Some
Of the moves he pulled out last year were ridiculous. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but didnt he get like 15g last season while being slotted in all over the line up. That's pretty impressive. The Poni signing only strengthens that hold for this team. I remember watching the pair of them decimate Ottawa every friggen year. That third line(or as I call it...the Red Army Line or the USSR line, since not all of them are from Russia) is going to be one of the most solid third lines in the NHL. I'm all for Antro sticking around until he retires or we find someone better.

Hainsey is a good DMan and he gets about as much flak on these boards as Ballard does. Both Antro and Hainsey are over paid, Hains not so much, and I'm sure we would all be happier if his cap hit was 3mil instead of 4+. I'm happy with him until we find someone better. Smid would be ideal, I think.

I was looking at some of the earlier posts about future line ups, and those are teams that win Stanley Cups.

It's amazing to see how mug of a difference two FA signings make in the grand scene of things. Just by being able to slot players in where they should be playing.

If this season starts right now, this team could definitely be a contender if things go right. The race to the Stanley cup will be a sprint, not a marathon. I wouldn't be surprised if we see alot of teams that are contenders miss it(off the top of my head: San Jose, Vancouver, NJ, Flordia, Washington, detroit, Nashville)giving us an opportunity to squeak in there. Hell, the Jets may even dominate the competition.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:46 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
We should trade Scheifele plus for Matt Duchene. We neeeeeed to get Matt Duchene!
Hey: have you thought about putting this in your signature? Would save you a bunch of time - wouldn't have to retype it every few days.

Seriously: I would love to have Duchene on the Jets, as I'm sure many would, but ... What would you consider that + to be?

Old
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

Same here.

He's also a great guy to have because he's so versatile. He can play C or RW and he can be moved up and down a lineup, as he was last year. He's not a top 6 player, but when you have injuries, he's good enough to be moved into a top 6 role temporarily.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
sully1410

I personally think the Jets should try to get Edler in FA if Van cannot afford to resign him. With the Cap going down, it's a distinct possibility.

Last edited by sully1410: 01-02-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I personally think the Jets should try to get Edler in FA if Van cannot afford to resign him. With the Cap going down, it's a distinct possibility.
I just always assume they'll be able to move one of their goalies before then to make $ room.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Kulda / Bogo:

If you multiply last years numbers across a full season (assuming about 21 minutes per game) that D pairing would put up a +/- of something like a +574 over 82 games. That is dominance! #funwithsamplesizes

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
I would love to say how I got this info,I think a lot of people on this board would be really surprised at how small Winnipeg really is and how easy it is to know someone involved in a big way with the jets.
It is impossible to know for sure when people post stuff if it is truth or not but most of us are just huge fans wanting to share knowledge we gained.i have other interesting stuff I have been told but I'm sure I will just get slammed for it.i am going to go out on a limb and say you will probably never talk to Travis yourself but if you had a good friend who did talk to him and he told you this info would you question him?
The problem with this is we like to roll with information that can be fact checked here. If not, then anyone can say that they know this or that person, and second hand information that may or may not be true would become fact. We wouldn't know what to believe. I am not saying that you are lying, I am just saying that it really opens the door for people to say whatever they want about something and present it as some kind of fact.

I know a lot of connected people in hockey circles in Winnipeg, as do many other HF Jets posters. However, we have established protocol here to ensure that the information that flows here is dependable. If it's not a vetted source, it's hogwash IMHO until it's proven otherwise.

I think the vast majority of posters here appreciate the fact that we work hard to keep information here as pure as possible. People come here to get the quickest most up to date information on the Jets and NHL and we want them to be able to rely on the forum for that.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:

Totally agree. Unfortunately you will never convince some people.

Closed Thread